Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Florida  > How do you feel about giving panhandlers money?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Cajun3149
Msg: 126
How do you feel about giving panhandlers money?Page 6 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Well, after all the posts, you seem to have written a book on the subject LOL. Only one problem I see is that the book is leaning in only one direction. We all have opinions and reasons for our beliefs. You pointed out one very important thing about our government that is true. They want to promote how much they contribute to what they call help. Giving, giving and giving more is not always the solution to the problem. I've seen other countries go about it in different ways. They don't give money, etc., but, give the tools to succeed. Look back through our history and you'll notice that our agencies and charities have just become to flurish in the last 30 years. Success was achieved through hard work before that. Even the modest income families succeeded without complaints. We all knew that work, education level, etc. produced what we had. Today, we look for handouts. Our government has made it where if you are of a certain ethnic group, you can receive a "handout". Not only one group, but, numerous groups. We have a thing called "Affirmative Actions". This is set up for numerous "minority" groups. Most people think right away that it's for African Americans only. This is not so. There are so many classified as a "minority" that it's hard to tell what the heck is going on. I'm part Native American, Irish, German, Danish, French, etc. I might fall into one of those groups LOL. Here's a link to a web page of the man that started a company I used to work for. BTW, this company got hit in 9/11. http://cornerstone.wwwhubs.com/Clement_Stone.html
 angelheart3
Msg: 127
How do you feel about giving panhandlers money?
Posted: 2/27/2008 1:28:16 PM
LOL...so it would appear on the book. But it's not intended to project an single-minded approach actually, rather to add a different perspective. The problem, for lack of better terminology, is significantly more complex than it appears. However, having spent the dominant portion of my employment life in the banking field, one is much more exposed in the financial aspect to observe quite a bit more in depth, not only in the aspect of financial success, but also financial struggles not to mention being in position to observe a persistent abuse of the systems that are in place for those truly in need, yet not benefiting those with a legitimate need rather those that choose to let the "system" enable them to avoid taking personal responsibility.

In the perfect world, we should all have the tools to succeed. However, there has been a paradigm shift from the traditional work ethic whereby there was a time that one could count on getting a good education to get a good paying job, working for the same company for 40 whatever years and retire comfortably at age whatever. Only that was when one was paid according to one's worth whereas now, one is paid what the job is worth more and more which diminishes the income potential significantly. All the while, slam-basted through various vehicles that we have to have what we want now and the way to get it is borrow, borrow, borrow. There's shared accountability on all fronts and shifting blame to one aspect or another doesn't absolve accountability individually or collectively.

Ultimately, back to the OT, how we feel about panhandlers per se when they ask for money is more a matter of personal decision. There isn't necessarily a right or wrong answer, rather an individual decision, as we each are going to be influenced by our own life experiences and such. I do still, however, maintain my position that to simply lump all panhandlers into the box of some of the descriptors and harsh judgments stated in some of the posts in this thread are irresponsible at a minimum. The bottom line is, IMO, of course there is an element of accountability on the part of the homeless - even if their portion of accountability at it's root is succumbing to that first drink, for example, that led to an actual addiction or even as simple as taking for granted that the job they respectively invested so much hard work and time into would always be there.

I doubt seriously that anyone posting on this topic can in all candor say that there wasn't at least one circumstance wherein what appeared to be a good choice later turned out to have harsh consequences. Some of us are more capable of recognizing that before the consequences take us into the pit as it were and adjusting course accordingly to avoid disaster, others are not so capable. That doesn't make us right and them wrong, any more than it diminishes the humanity of the homeless one bit. That being said, I think it a reasonable statement that we should be very careful in how quickly we judge another's circumstances. We didn't walk that person's walk, he/she did. As for the panhandlers that are in fact scammers of sorts? Well, got those also in the workforce, only the modus operandi is different.

Ok, shushing now. I'll check out that link.
 Cajun3149
Msg: 128
Posted: 2/27/2008 4:47:38 PM
Nope, no right and no wrong. It's "our" money and we'll choose to do what we want with it no matter what people say here.
 DCinFL
Msg: 129
Posted: 2/29/2008 7:37:16 PM
behavior rewarded is the behavior you will recieve.

if you give a beggar a handout, not only have you rewarded his poor decisions and refusal to better him/herself, but also have encouraged them to bother the rest of us. congratulations, you are an enabler, you are now a part of the problem.

if i really wanted to help a panhandler, i would offer him to come to my house and do my yard work in exchange for the money he wants me to give him. i work hard for my money, why shouldnt he?

when you give a bum money, the only person you are helping is yourself with a dose of self satisfaction, or giving in to your inability to say "no".
 angelheart3
Msg: 130
Posted: 3/7/2008 2:31:29 AM

if you give a beggar a handout, not only have you rewarded his poor decisions and refusal to better him/herself, but also have encouraged them to bother the rest of us. congratulations, you are an enabler, you are now a part of the problem.

IMO - a broad justification for willful blindness also. More often than not, an individual (not the "group" as a whole) in these circumstances is far beyond reach of behavior modification techniques as a means to motivate. IMO - a very subjection judgment not only of the "beggar" but anyone that chooses to respond to the stated need. The only "motivations" on both sides that one is qualified to judge are one's own.

if i really wanted to help a panhandler, i would offer him to come to my house and do my yard work in exchange for the money he wants me to give him. i work hard for my money, why shouldnt he?

This statement has merit, IMO, even though it is quantified with the statement "if I really wanted".

when you give a bum money, the only person you are helping is yourself with a dose of self satisfaction, or giving in to your inability to say "no".

I wonder if the "bum" who needs that $7 referred to by a previous poster to have a bed at SA for one night shares that perception.

My point being that it's so easy to judge a group on either side, be it "bum" or perceived "enabler" when the "action" is not in line with our individual beliefs. We all do it - I am certainly no exception in that respect. It does behoove us who "have", IMO, to be cautious in the judgments we "sow" else we "reap" them upon ourselves. Personally, I don't believe it to be my responsibility to "parent" a homeless person (or any other adult for that matter) which in effect is what behavior modification is. In a therapist's office? Certainly that is an appropriate and more often than not an effective strategy for teaching more effective living skills and making better choices. However, until the most basic of human needs are met, one doesn't even have a foundation laid to modify behavior. Not at all suggesting that we who "have" are responsible for saving those who "have not" so to speak...NOT.

However, in those situations where the bum/beggar/panhandler is assumed to be 100% accountable for their circumstances when more often than not that isn't the case at all, the excuse of "enabling" to avoid doing the right thing for the individual situation is just as damaging by fostering the sense of victimization that bum/beggar/panhandler with valid intent behind their request(s) already has. Big difference between surviving and avoiding and if we haven't walked in that person's shoes - none of us are really qualified to judge what led to their circumstances. My position on this element of course does not apply to the panhandlers who capitalize on the opportunity with specific intent to make a decent living by begging.

ronjo58
Msg: 131
Posted: 4/26/2008 6:33:45 PM
Angelheart, I see you carry on the good works. Bless you for that and if as the gentleman said, you are writing a book, then it is a great one. One of compassion, of understanding and a commitment to our fellow man. It is so easy to have an opinion,another thing to activate it. What also do you enable, when you give someone down and out a hand up? You enable them to eat or give them faith again in their fellow man or woman. You never know what, by your kindness you enable them to do.
Maybe give them a confidence to seek out a better way of life. It is when you lose faith in your fellow man, by treating them like a subhuman, that you fail to be a charitible
person and become greedy, selfish and self serving. One thing I always keep in my mind and in my heart. God is watching us. Always.
 angelheart3
Msg: 132
Posted: 4/26/2008 6:38:12 PM
Thank you, Ronjo, for the highest of compliments.

Nephilim
Msg: 133
view profile
History
Posted: 4/26/2008 11:42:15 PM
If Al Gore uses Futurama to explain global warming, then I will go with the SouthPark solution to the homeless problem.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ALRF5RmHVlQ
 CompleteCommodity
Msg: 134
Posted: 5/10/2008 4:45:09 PM
I give them money all the time. Sometimes people fall on hard times. I guess I'm sympathetic because I grew up in a neighborhood with a lot of poor people that are struggling. So I give because it feels good and maybe I am truly helping someone out that is down on their luck.
Show ALL Forums  > Florida  > How do you feel about giving panhandlers money?