Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Age appropriate dress      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 moon_fish
Msg: 76
Age appropriate dressPage 4 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
there is nothiing worse than a older woman dressing too young... its just disgusting I think... more so when they dont have the figure for it.
Younger guys may be interested but its not for more than a fling. A woman is doing herself a great dis-service to think she looks young enough to dress like a teenager.... she only looks foolish.
Same would be true for an old guy who did the same thing.
 Arugula
Msg: 77
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 4/11/2007 1:10:38 PM
Moon Fish? I know that's your opinion. It's sort of like the opinions of those who Is think men in their 40s and above are disgusting and foolish when they're chasing 20 somethings?
 moon_fish
Msg: 78
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 4/11/2007 1:42:28 PM
arugula I am sure they look foolish chasing them... but keep in mind that not all middle aged men have to chase 20 somethings... the 20 somethings sometimes chase them. I know your thinking "yeah sure" but I will tell you there is no shaortage of 20 somethings out there... and they do chase. Some are also more mature emotionally than 40 somethings... this is true.
This is a problem for most middle aged women to accept, that younger gals are out there and looking. This thread tho.... and post is about "dress" and I have no objection when a tight, trim hot looking gal wants to show her midriff...
as it is nice to look at, but not many middle aged women can do that AND have the face that is as hot as the body. I have many 20 somethings to choose from should I want one... and I dont have to dress young to find them.
 moon_fish
Msg: 79
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 4/11/2007 1:42:38 PM
sorry double post...
 Arugula
Msg: 80
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 4/11/2007 1:57:22 PM
I just don't get why you (or anyone on here) finds the way someone dresses disgusting or foolish. I don't even think about it. Well, I actually think "you go girl" when I see someone in their 70s or older dressed in a skintight pair of leopard pants and spike heels. :) GOOD for them! I sure don't dress the way I do to look younger. I wear what I like. Whenever one of these threads come up, I feel like all you nay sayers are suggesting those of us who are in our 40s should put on granny panties and shapeless shifts.

Regardless, I'll still put on the bikini, and refuse to wear shorts that are 12 inches long, as long as I'm comfortable and happy wearing them. And if someone looks at me and is disgusted? LOL, that's all about them, and not me.
 Jeff_Md
Msg: 81
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 4/11/2007 2:45:54 PM
Clothes can be a form of self expression, wear what you want to wear. Either means you want to project yourself a certain way, or you just don't care what anyone thinks. I've seen very attractive women in their 40s, 50s and 60s dress provacatively. And I've seen much younger women who were not as successful. Who am I to judge what is appropriate? We have laws on indencency and dress codes for work and some restaurants. That's plenty, we don't need fashion police. If I don't like what I'm seeing, I am free to turn my head. But I don't see the point in enjoying the show.

One example comes to mind is an woman I know who is 66. She goes to dances at least weekly dressed in the most over the top gowns you can imagine in every color under the rainbow. She'll have on matching hat, gloves, parosel and is accompanied by a 79 year old man who proudly pimps with a matching tux. Be it bright yellow, purple or fire engine red. Not what I would wear it, but I love the fact that they will waltz into the country buffet dressed like that and just don't care if you approve or not.
 cdn_guy
Msg: 82
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 4/11/2007 3:01:17 PM
I'm sorry, but age-appropriate or not, there'll be no more 'dresses' for me. Since the sex-change operation, people would just look at me too strangely when I go out in public.

cdn guy
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 83
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 4/11/2007 9:34:53 PM
...I try not to follow trends, instead I choose clothes that are becoming to my body shape and in colours that look good on me. I have developed my own personal style over the years and wear what I like, not what I think others might like. I love wearing skirts and dresses, even the way they fell against my skin when I move....As the above poster stated.... wear the clothes that make me feel good about yourself, I do.

...maeflowers
 sassyredhead
Msg: 84
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 4/11/2007 10:51:29 PM
wear clothing that says who you are! we are what we wear, satin & lace = soft & sexy, t's & jeans mean we're not afraid to get dirty etc...

If you can still pull off junior's clothing why the heck not! anyone who disagrees with me is probably 50+ lbs overweight anyway

sassyredhead
Msg: 85
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 4/11/2007 10:57:57 PM
moon fish...pulling it off means it looks good on someone. I personally never meant that anyone 50 lbs overweight should wear a tube top and daisy dukes

then again...before you judge me or my sisters over 40 perhaps you should shower and wash your hair---and try smiling
 sassyredhead
Msg: 86
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 4/11/2007 11:09:11 PM
maybe not in context with the subject at hand...
but as for the couple in country buffet....

Life is too short to spoil OUR happiness because YOU think we look foolish!

I just love that they feel young enough and alive enough to live!!

Clothing is supposed to be an expression of who we are, what we like, what makes us happy. Some may find happiness in dressing and acting exactly like everyone else---but not me! i wear what I like, I do as i like and I live while I'm alive!!

I once wore a pretty silk nightgown to a formal wedding, I added stylish accessories, proper foundations, ( as in the right bra and slip etc) and pretty shoes! nobody actually knew it was a nightie except for the few people I told before we went! and I had the best time too

Why are we spending our lives worrying what others think when it's OUR life that is being wasted and our own happiness is being denied because of what others think!!??

to heck with that! Im only gonna live once and I'm gonna LIVE while I'm here!
 moon_fish
Msg: 87
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 4/12/2007 7:29:49 AM
msg 96, how you live is up to you. All I am saying is I have no interest in a gal who dresses like a teenager. I like women who dress classy, not ho trampy, if they are 20 or 40... its all the same.
Not my concern to accept what you like... but know plenty of guys will pass a gal by when they see she is wearing a nightgown in public.

NeonGloom
Msg: 88
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 4/12/2007 7:32:47 AM

One example comes to mind is an woman I know who is 66. She goes to dances at least weekly dressed in the most over the top gowns you can imagine in every color under the rainbow. She'll have on matching hat, gloves, parosel and is accompanied by a 79 year old man who proudly pimps with a matching tux. Be it bright yellow, purple or fire engine red.

I want to be her when I grow up... any guys out there with purple tuxes?

Is my wardrobe age appropriate? Not likely! My style is *me*appropriate.

From what I've seen, age appropriate for us larger ladies is supposed to be polyester tents in loud flower prints. My friends have instructions to shoot me if I ever wear anything like that.
 Arugula
Msg: 89
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 4/12/2007 8:23:51 AM
^^^NeonGloom....I always think "go girl!" when I see a larger lady at the beach in a revealing suit, who is clearly comfortable that way (not tugging or covering). To me, that says she likes herself just the way she is. And isn't that what we're all striving for? What we tell people to do all the time? It pisses me off to hear someone saying negative things about how anyone dresses.
 ryn48
Msg: 90
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 4/12/2007 4:56:53 PM
I enjoy dressing young. I hate the "old" look. However, having said that, my own criteria for myself, is that ...is it classy? I like someone wearing young and sexy with class....not the slutty stuff...unless, of course, that is the "look" you are going for. I agree with above posts, wear stuff that is suitable to your body type. There was a woman I met as a young lady, who was very robust in figure. The clothes she wore and the "I love myself" attitude she had....made her very attractive. I have found the older I get, the less I look at the flash, I look for class and fun....in men and women of any size.
 Tarika
Msg: 91
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 4/12/2007 8:59:56 PM
I wear what I feel comfortable in.........also, it depends on my mood when I wake up in the morning and don't care if it is 'age appropriate' or not.
 damselinnodistress
Msg: 92
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 4/12/2007 9:15:42 PM
Does this post really have anything to do with dress? It seems to have veered back to looking younger and shopping to look younger. You will get over that eventually. haha. I don't get it as I shop at stores that are hip and cheap :) Who's blowing who's horn? If you feel good, you feel good and that's all I have to say about that :) Dress for yourself and you will never be embarassed.
 Little Miss 51
Msg: 93
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 4/13/2007 7:34:44 PM
I shop in the Junior dept also. I wear low cut jeans and I dress like the younger generation does. Its not really about style, I like to be comfortable and look nice. Nobody complains about what I wear also. I listen to the same music as most of the young generation and dance it too, so I can blend! Clothing is not really about AGE, its about how comfortable you feel wearing it!

I once had a large woman come up to me wearing a halter top and she was really large. She made the comment, I can wear anything I want that the skinner women wear! I agreed, she was too large for the shirt, but she was comfortable so who was going to argue with her?

Peaceful Spirit
Msg: 94
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 4/13/2007 8:45:36 PM
I'm petite too and look younger than my years ---- my advise wear what makes you feel fabulous, comfortable and sexy on weekends and in the evenings ----- wear what is appropriate and respectable for a middle aged woman at work ----- I have a few discreet tattoos and love my toe ring and ankle bracelet ---- comfy jeans and T-shirts when I'm relaxing ---- for work its usually suits and heels ---- I work for myself and always have to be keenly aware that part of my job is to sell myself ----- (not literally mind you)------NOT that kind of business (wink)........
 Peaceful Spirit
Msg: 95
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 4/14/2007 8:22:14 AM
I wear what I choose to as well but I sure have seen some women my age and older look like fruitloops ---- my 21 year old daughter is my critique ---- I tell her...."let me know if I look foolish or like a tart" -------- and she does ------- sometimes we don't see ourselves as clearly as others ---- I would LOVE to wear peasant skirts and gypy blouses again !!! ------ they would SO suit my character and personality !! ----- But my daugter tells me ------- "Mom the 60's were "a happening----ummmmm...... HAPPENED about 40 years ago ----- its bad enough to smell you burning patchoulioil when I come over to visit !!"---- I still have nice legs too but would NOT be caught dead in one of those micro minis we used to wear either OR hot pants ---- do YOU remember hot pants? ------- BUT behind closed doors I WILL wear whatever my hunny finds stimulating and attractive ------ Bottom line is we ALL have to dress and behave in a manner that "feel right" for us ---- thats the 2 cent 1.875 opinion for today

Peace Out
 CelticButterfly
Msg: 96
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 4/15/2007 8:51:41 AM
I wear what makes me feel comfortable and confident. I've gone into some shops and I just can't see myself wearing the 'more mature' outfits. I'm a jeans type of woman. Or miniskirts if the weather is nice.
 MapleSweet
Msg: 97
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 4/15/2007 9:56:47 AM
Age appropriate...by who's standards? The fashion industry, or the real people that wear them? I think we all develop our own stule over the years, and we pretty much know if something looks good on us or not. It shouldn't be dictated by what other people think. If we dressed age appropriate half of us would be wearing dusters and muuumuus, like our grandmas, lol. (And don't get me started on polyester....yuk!!!!) Good fit and proper style for body type is what matters. As long as we're comfortable in our clothes, and dress for the occasion, I think it's all good. Dress for who you are, your own comfort zone, and your personality. We don't have to be frumpy and matronly just because we're older! When you feel fabulous in what you wear, it translates to how we feel, inside, about ourselves (just like a bad hair day.)
 ryn48
Msg: 98
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 4/16/2007 6:59:23 AM
There is a woman I work with that is closer to 60 than 50. All her clothes are classy and young. I had one of the security guys as me why she "dresses like a kid". Well! The look I gave him would have shrivelled anyone. I asked him what exactly should an "older" woman be wearing? She looks great in the outfits, she is happy and a pleasure to be around. Geeez!
 mj824
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 4/16/2007 9:26:33 AM
As long as you're in pretty good shape why confine yourself to dressing dowdy. I feel I don't look my age so a pair of tight jeans with boots or heels works for me.
 marg_mh_ab
Msg: 100
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 4/16/2007 9:33:54 AM
I find at my age (47) it has become difficult to always find appealing clothing....Either it's made for my mothers age group or my daughters age group and nothing for me...then add in being on the shorter side of 5 foot 2....We'll it's not easy.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Age appropriate dress