Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Age appropriate dress      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 breadpudding
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Age appropriate dressPage 5 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Age appropriate? As far as I'm concerned, there's no such standard. I believe it is appropriate to dress for the occasion, weather condition and the culture regardless of age or dress size. With that in mind, my attire is more reflective of my weight and height, rather than my age or what department in the store the clothes were found. Age appropriate, ........... Or dressing contemporary? Appealing sexy clothes are not just for younger women. Sexy, trendy, attire is all I'm comfortable wearing. It will be a while, if ever, that I’ll select drab polyester, or elastic waistbands.
 prof48
Msg: 102
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 9/27/2007 12:45:59 PM
You know, if you look at pictures on dating sites there are women in their forties who look much younger and women in their twenties who look much older. I assume the same is true for men. I would argue that dress should be appropriate to your lifestyle and goals and if your body is such that you can still handle "junior" clothing, more power to you. I personally love long hair, but as my hair thinned it no longer was professionally acceptable--in my own mind anyway. Dress should be appropriate to your lifestyle and social environment. That has little to do with age. It may limit your dating to men who can accomodate that lifestyle dress as well, though. Nothing worse than having your bf or SO's associates asking if your their daughter/neice.
 Wherefore Art Thou?
Msg: 103
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 9/27/2007 8:27:00 PM

I always try to buy stylish and up-to-date underwear as I want to look and feel good when I'm home posting on the forums. Maybe I need to get out more.
Thank you, Coug! Couldn't have said it better myself!
 BULLSPIDER
Msg: 104
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 9/27/2007 8:43:13 PM
Ninki if it fits,you fell comfortable in the outfit then go for it.
 shipoker
Msg: 105
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 9/27/2007 9:20:46 PM
If you like it, wear it. Screw what other people think! If you look good in it or not....be you!............................................................JMO
 beadlady
Msg: 106
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 9/28/2007 4:13:12 AM
My children threatened to send me to that show,
What Not To Wear! As you can see in my pic
I wear long skirts, yes, stuck in the hippie days, lol.
My daughter - in - law and my daughter both took me
out shopping having me try on things that I thought
were just not me but to my surprise I actually liked them
and bought a few things.
When my b/f walked into the kitchen after work and saw
me his eyes popped out, lol. It was just a knee length skirt
with a little tank top but good grief, he made me feel like
I was a million dollars. Still have all the long skirts and
my jeans but hey, wear what you like, we are not here
to live our lives as others see fit. If I like it and it
doesn`t look totally stupid on me, I`m gonna wear it.
 jeeprennie
Msg: 107
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 9/28/2007 8:59:55 AM
People put too much emphasis on age. Dress what you feel good and look good in. If someone else doesn't like it, ignore them.
 hotlipzz07
Msg: 108
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 10/18/2007 9:32:14 PM
i agree,i`m 47 and still wear the cute jeans and tops,and i`m not a size 2,so if you feel comfortable in it,wear it
 pegasus_lady_1
Msg: 109
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 11/6/2007 7:55:33 AM
Hi y'all. I know I'm getting a late start on this thread. But I just wanted to say that I feel as the majority of the rest of you do. Wear whatever is comfortable for yourself...and "body appropriate".

As a youth...I was extremely heavy. So, now that I'm older and have a better body. I LOVE showing it off. As the saying goes....if you got it...FLAUNT IT!!!! If someone doesn't like the way you look.....they don't have to look at ya!!!

Anyone that takes the time to get to know you....no matter how you dress....will find the real you anyways.
 happycat444
Msg: 110
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 5/4/2008 5:51:36 PM
dress in what you like, not to someone else's tastes.........if someone dumps you for what you wear, they aren't looking deep enough..............comfort firsT!!!
 Blithe_Spirit
Msg: 111
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 5/4/2008 6:02:21 PM
There are certain styles that I find unappealing, but you can forgive teenagers for wearing them because "everybody else is." Examples are those jeans that are cut too low so underwear (or worse) shows out the top of them - and bare midriffs showing off a belly-button piercing. Also those pants that are tight around the hip almost forcing a "muffin top" (wad of fat) to balloon out over the waistband.

So what about the person who can't use the excuse "everybody else is"? In other words, someone old enough to be the teenager's parent or even grandparent.

I ain't sayin' nothin'. I'm just shaking my head, and that's what I do when I encounter a ripe old avocado dressed like a kid. Just my two cents' worth.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 5/4/2008 6:14:27 PM
I can't think of an age where t-shirts aren't appropriate, and they make jeans to fit anybody. I just can't decide whether to wear the cross-trainers or the "walking" shoes...
 Chocolatebrowne
Msg: 113
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 5/5/2008 6:57:07 AM
I believe in age, profession, and body appropriate dress. Just because I'm petite, and VERY young-looking for my age, doesn't mean (my opinion for me, only), that I should dress like a teenager, nor does it mean that I should dress like an old lady,. There is a middle ground, and it's called "good taste."

One earlier poster talked about her disgust in seeing a thong and the "crack of someone's ass", and I AGREE with that assessment! I DON'T WANT TO SEE YOUR UNDERWEAR, YOUR FAT ASS, YOUR FLAT ASS, THE CRACK OF YOUR ASS, YOUR WRINKLED BREASTS, OR ANY OF YOUR BODY PARTS! Please cover them up when you are in public. Dress any way you want in private, but please, whatever happened to common sense and good taste.
 Rhonda 2
Msg: 114
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 5/5/2008 8:59:44 AM
entirely Cholatebrowne. I don't care to see that either, although to be fair- I don't want to see some man's big belly protruding from his undershirt, or his ass bulging from his sagging pants. Honestly I think women are worse about this- maybe because they have shown their stuff all their life- and now that its saggy and fat- they don't know to cover it up.

For me- I wear classic styles- tweeds, skirts, heels, mostly dressy shirtwaists in the summer. These have always been around- probably always will- because they look good.

Rhonda
 Chocolatebrowne
Msg: 115
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 5/5/2008 9:09:46 AM
That's how I like to dress, too, Rhonda2. Classic! You can never make a mistake, or I suppose they are now called fashion faux pas.....

Also, I agree, I hate those "pregnant man-bellies", and "plumbers crack" pants....I am neither an obstetrician or a proctologist, and am not practicing to be either....
 MelloDLyn
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 5/5/2008 9:27:37 AM
I only shop in the jrs also. I don't like older women clothing. I say u can wear what ever u look good in. I look younger than my age also. If u look good u will get hit on by younger guys.
 winterwarrior
Msg: 117
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 5/5/2008 10:59:19 AM
just wear what you like if someone doesnt like what i wear just go on down the road,im at a age where it doesnt really matter just as long as its comfortable
 Rhonda 2
Msg: 118
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 5/5/2008 11:57:17 AM
well I don't agree with "wear what you like". Nothing looks sillier that a 50 year old woman wearing teenager clothes.
 AgelessWonder
Msg: 119
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 5/5/2008 12:25:08 PM
well I don't agree with "wear what you like". Nothing looks sillier that a 50 year old woman wearing teenager clothes.

That is up to who is wearing the clothes. If you don't like them, don't wear them. What looks silly to some may not to others, JMO
 Luv_2_Ski
Msg: 120
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 5/5/2008 12:47:07 PM

Are there any more "rules" you believe someone should conform to in order to not "look silly" ??

Where what you like, do what you like, go where you like, be what you like. The ONLY rule is don't harm others with your choices but for god's sake don't limit yourself to a world where you won't "look silly". In fact - go out of your way to "look silly" - it's good for the ego!

Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 5/5/2008 3:40:04 PM
T-shirts are "classic" casual wear for men and women, so are jeans, sweaters (pullovers and cardigans), sweatshirts, and, for women, those (sp?) "Mu-Mu" dress things.

Of course, I look dashingly handsome in my charcoal grey pinstripe tropical weight wool 3-piece suit, but no job around here pays anywhere close to near enough for me to actually wear it; and anyplace it would be required attire is a place I don't need to be, on my own time.
 federalbureau
Msg: 122
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 5/6/2008 8:54:15 AM
There certainly should be some COMMON SENSE.

Just because a woman can FIT into Juniors Department clothes, it

certainly doesn't mean that it's APPROPRIATE or even LOOK good...

Some styles are correctly merchandised in the JUNIORS DEAPRTMENT

because they are obviously aimed at a younger woman, not a woman approaching

50 for godssake...if that were the case, you would see the same styles merchandised

the the Missy or Career Sections for godssake !!

What does a 45-50 year old woman look like with bare midriff spaghetti strap

strap blouses with low-slung hip-huggin jeans on ?? SHE LOOKS OUT OF PLACE

if not downright STUPID.

Of course women 'can' wear what they WANT....but the question is SHOULD THEY

wear 'what they want' no matter the style 'message' sent......but just look at some

of the folks on dating sites !.......

Some women will NEVER LEARN......and look to the mirror to LIE to them.

SMART WOMEN don't try to adopt styles of women 30 years their junior.....

Those are called dumbazzes, or purely delusional women in midlife crisis....

It's like a 45 year old man wearing a ball-cap turned around backwards on his

stupid head, with a Billabong T-shirt with baggy 3/4 length shorts with his boxers

showing, sporting a new pair of K-Swiss tennies........

They're both FOOLISH
 AgelessWonder
Msg: 123
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 5/6/2008 9:04:16 AM
I don't think age has a lot to do with what someone wears. I have seen women in their 20s that shouldn't wear the low cut jeans with the belly sticking out.

What I don't understand is why anyone would get upset over what another is wearing. Wear what you want and looks good on you, and if you don't like how someone looks or what they are wearing, don't look.. Get dark sunglasses!
 WhosDrunk?
Msg: 124
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 5/6/2008 2:13:19 PM
^^^^ and she looks great in all the above styles...

and she sometimes wears the emperiors new clothes which depends also on what she is doing or planning on doing at the time...

walking the lake
Msg: 125
Age appropriate dress
Posted: 5/6/2008 3:32:37 PM
I have to admit that my legs have not seen the light of day..since I wore "hot pants" I think we all remember how long ago that was. lol I never wear short dresses,skirts or shorts. And to be quite honest I hate to see men in any of the aforementioned. (except those bagpipe players in their kilts...;) I think shorts on both male and female who are not "youngsters" look awful. I know it is all about comfort and to me I am comfortable in my pants. And not meaning to diss anyone but I am uncomfortable if my partner at our age is wearing shorts. Maybe I need therapy...sheesh..lol ...
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Age appropriate dress