Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Should men be discriminated against because of long hair?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 andso.itgoes
Msg: 26
Should men be discriminated against because of long hair?Page 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
One should be wary of men with crew cuts. I am of the generation who viewed those who sported them as belonging to the "establishment". Long hair on men was a symbol of revolution, freedom, casting off of the constraints of society. On a first look, this woman tends to trust the long hairs over the short hairs.
 Uncle Fist
Msg: 27
Should men be discriminated against because of long hair?
Posted: 8/27/2009 6:23:31 PM
Take it with a grain of salt. There's a reason those stereotypes exist. Because there have been enough people that had long hair that did do drugs and break the law for people to associate the two. That doesn't mean that everybody with long hair is a bad guy, but it should be understandable how somebody who doesn't know you might get that first impression at a glance.

I had long hair for years. I got harassed by cops and authority figures. I never did anything wrong. I didn't even drink. I just looked like all those guys that were up to no good. But I understood why people made the association, and I never took it personally.

In the business world, hair only factors in if you let it. If you feel that's part of who you are and some company doesn't want you based on that, then they didn't really want you. They wanted a modified you. Thank them for their time and go elsewhere.

Also, you have to bear in mind that not all companies that "discriminate" against long haired guys are doing so to be mean. Some are merely doing it because the nature of their business requires presenting a certain aesthetic to attract/keep clientele. They're going to do what they have to do to make money. They're not going to lose profit for the sake of sparing somebody's feelings.
 luv_forums
Msg: 28
Posted: 8/28/2009 6:49:33 PM
If a guy kept his long hair in a clean and tidy condition, then I don't see why he shouldn't have long hair. The only times I'd have a problem with it is if the guy didn't bother to wash it every day or every second day, and it's just in a messy, tangled condition. But I guess it depends on personal tastes. Not all men with long hair suit the style, either because of their face structure or head shape, or whatever. I personally prefer a medium length, up to or just above the shoulders.

When I think of a man with long hair, I think of either 2 things depending on my mood: either Urs Bühler from Il Divo BEFORE he grew that horrible beard, or I think of a hobo with long straggly hair. lol.
 meat me
Msg: 29
Posted: 9/3/2009 6:50:31 AM
I'm nostalgic, why shouldn't they be discriminated against ?
Aren't all these long hairs' just throw-backs to the dirty, hippy white trash, from the 60's anyway.
 shmodzilla
Msg: 30
Posted: 9/3/2009 11:22:21 AM
Attraction issue aside, when my hair was longer i really did run into amazing instances of discrimination. I don't mean name calling. I just mean how people treated me in general. But what i liked about that was it instantly weeded out people i obvioulsy don't want anything to do with.
 Musique08
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2009 7:02:40 PM
I like men with long hair (I also like men with short hair, whatever suits the guy). I certainly don't think men with long hair should be treated any differently than men with short hair, it's just discrimination.
 FL CO
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2009 1:03:13 PM
Thats because the professions you mention are apart of the entertainment industry. The rest of us live in real life where some amount of professionalism is needed for most jobs.
 FL CO
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2009 3:21:08 PM

How is hair a measure of professionalism, especially considering that the affectation of "short hair" came about because of the poor hygiene of those returning from trench warfare, lice and scabies, etc, ...not the other way around?

How is this not just fashion conformity via affectation?

If it isn't, then why doesn't the same bigotry via affectation apply to women?

Would you rather deal with a "professional" who adheres to a fashion paradigm, or a professional who does their job well

It doesn't make someone any more or less professional, but by todays standards it looks more professional. As far as reasons not to have long hair there's several besides just hygiene. I don't have long hair by anymeans, but when I "grow it out" I usually get complimented on it, and have had people ask to run their hands through it. By the time it gets to that length I'm about sick of and and cut it off again. Speaking of which I do need to get another haircut.
 FL CO
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2009 7:19:03 PM
^ Who said anything about fashion. The Great War that you decided to use as an example was several decades ago. Not exactly the best reference point in terms of fashion. I stand by my argument about the professionalism though. While longer hair does require more maintaince, shorter hair tends to looks more "kept". As I said, its not about it being truly unprofessional, but the unprofessional image that it portrays to a lot of people. Again, I'll say that there's other reasons not to have it. If someone choses to thats fine, but they can't get upset if anything negative happens because of it
 FL CO
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2009 8:41:08 PM
^So if someone that works around machinery gets their hair caught. Is that somebody elses fault? Also, why do you think that people in the military, LE, corrections, etc have short hair? You can't say hygiene, because we are worlds apart hygien wise from WW1 til now. You're looking to blame other people instead of excepting what is. You have to own up to the choices you make and anything that may become of those choices. The fact is that in todays culture that being cleancut is concidered a professional look. Doesn't make it right or wrong, or the person any more or less capable of doing the job. Its simply fact.
 FL CO
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2009 9:05:57 PM
^ Dang your dense. Yes, there are regulations in place but with shorter hair its a non-issue. Milatary, LE, corrections in the like don't have short hair just because of hygiene. Like I already stated we are worlds apart hygiene wise from WW1 til now. You are really stuck on this bigotry thing aren't you? Who said it has anything to do with bigotry. If you have two equally qualified candidates, the one with the most professional appearance is likely the one to get hired unless the employer is trying to meet some EEO crap. So I'm wrong in the fact that someone chosing to have long hair doesn't make a difference morally or skill wise. Please explain that one. We are talking about men with long hair. Its the social norm for women to have long hair so this topic wouldn't apply to them.
 FL CO
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2009 9:32:41 PM
You seem to fail to realize that our society has put different social standards on males and females. Because of this people who go against the norm for their area, race, religion, etc are going to be viewed differently. That doesn't make the person who choses to go outside of the social norm wrong and it doesn't the other person a bigot.

From dictionary.com:

big⋅ot⋅ry  /ˈbɪgətri/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [big-uh-tree] Show IPA
Use bigotry in a Sentence
See web results for bigotry
See images of bigotry
–noun, plural -ries. 1. stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own.
2. the actions, beliefs, prejudices, etc., of a bigot

Simply not agreeing with someone doesn't make them a bigot. Someone hiring a less qualified candidate because the other had long hair would. (assuming there's no policies agaisnt long hair). I don't have time to do it now, but if I remember tomorrow I'll go into a lot greater detail about the professionalism side. Until then
 FL CO
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 9/5/2009 11:24:35 AM
^ How can you argue that our society has put different standards on males and females. If it is a fallacious arguement than I'd like you to show why.

Views aren't just black and white like you are trying to say they are. Just because someone doesn't care for something, or prefer one thing over another doesn't mean that they are prejudice agaisn't it.

How is pulling a definition right out of the dictionary cherry picking? Using a biased sorce for "facts" is cherry picking. Hair length and being in bondage don't go together. As far as me personally I prefer my hair short for a variety of reasons and don't really fit into social "norms" in multiple areas. It has nothing to do with me feeling like I need to.
 aaamm
Msg: 39
Posted: 9/5/2009 11:42:02 AM
One of my sons looks like Jesus and the other has the typical boy cut style. The one that looks like Jesus, people often back up and judge that he is big foot or some type of neanderthal. The one with the boy cut has never had problems meeting and greeting people. Actually their occupations even reflect this. My long hair unloads trucks. My short hair is a host/cashier i.e. behind the scenes and in front of them.

Both of my sons are equally intelligent, attractive, nice, etc. I am and always will be of the opinion that what hair style you think looks good on you is what is important. Now my ex's hair looks like crap, long stringing, thinning white hair and an untrimmed mustache...yuck! You do have to have some reality about your appearance, put on your bifocals when you look in the mirror.

In the real world, people are judged by their hair. The Beetles got the bad boy rap because of their, now what would be considered short, hair.

People also discriminate against those with facial hair. My grandfather wouldn't higher anyone with a beard or mustache. He would not sell to those with long hair or facial hair. He got away with it.

On the flip side, some women are accused of looking like lesbians when they get their hair cut really short/or wear it short.

I don't think prejudices are ever going to change. We add to them, we find new things to be prejudice about.
 spicynicegirl
Msg: 40
Posted: 9/5/2009 6:27:09 PM
I agree that men with long hair should not be discriminated against. However I am not attracted to men with long hair because to me personally it looks feminine and doesn't appeal. So each to his own.
 mydaddy
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2010 3:17:55 PM
One of the reasons it is used in the military is to dehumanize and limit the individual factor. It may have some to do with hygiene but these days it is almost a non issue. Professional? It is a goofy argument a red herring. Image is what is decided in a society and a narrow minded ignorant stance is exactly the one you have chosen. Your perception is based on your back ground and teachings and I must say they are extremely simple. EEO was put into place so idiots like you couldn't push your idea of what is down others throats. Dont you get it you are the problem and defending this position is frightening. What is it you are afraid of? If you don't want to grow out your hair don't. If I am qualified for the job and have long hair hire me. Its that simple stop trying to defend this position you sound like a fool. Homosexuality is a choice or at least that is the general conscientious these days but they are protected from fools. Many groups are. This is bigotry pure and simple there is no gray area here.
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 42
Posted: 8/26/2010 7:13:59 AM
Long hair on men in not the preferred look in most businesses and having had hair half way down my back when I was 16 ( early 70`s hippie wannabe ) and having friends and acquaintainces who still have long hair I understand the stigma. For the record I got tired of the hassle of having long hair when I was 17.

Women are usually expected to wear a bra, and makeup ( etc etc. ) to most jobs and men are usually expected to have their hair and face groomed a certain way for most jobs. If a man shows up to a job interview with long hair or an bad beard he will limit his job options as will a woman showing up to a job interview in a t shirt and jeans with no bra and no makeup ( this might get her the job in some instances ). Most men with long hair do not have nice enough hair to pull it off and if they do they rarely take care of it the way a woman with long hair takes care of hers.

Employers discriminate in many ways based on appearance without admitting it, I wonder how long it will be before employers start discriminating against those with visible tattoos.
 FyrKrakn
Msg: 43
Posted: 11/22/2010 7:12:35 PM
If it looks bad on him, he wears it in a dirty mullet, it is a hazard in his occupation, or it is prettier than yours, cut it while he is sleeping. If he is Sampson, he should still be able to bring the house down.
 abelian
Msg: 44
Posted: 11/22/2010 7:53:56 PM
No, men shouldn't be discriminated against because of having long hair, but the fact is they are.

Musician, Actor, Wrestler, Dancer, Model,

College professor and scientist are two more.

I just don't think this is fair and wonder why so many people are so closed minded about it.

No, it's not fair, but lots of things aren't fair. I used to have really long hair and I still would if I wasn't losing my hair. On the other hand, if I were a defendant on trial, I'd damn sure get a conservative hair cut and hire an tall, attractive attorney with a conservative haircut who wears nice suits to represent me rather than try to make a fashion statement that would turn off the jury.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 45
Posted: 11/23/2010 8:58:48 AM

(tigress) I can't help it. I am just totally attracted to men with beautiful hair.

We should meet, you and I. I don't wanna brag, but Rapunzel... ('cept I'm not blond).

And yet, I see over and over again, that society, as a whole, discriminates against them because of it and it makes it hard for them to get ahead.

Yeah, well, them's the breaks. Some people are gonna discriminate against guys with long hair... I know that I didn't decide to go all hippy on a whim... I knew the shortfalls of having long hair (okay, pun definitely intended...)

Dr. ES...
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 46
Posted: 11/23/2010 10:22:25 AM

(late™ ) Throughout history until the early twentieth century, the majority of men have worn their hair long.

"Long hair makes a handsome man look better, and an ugly man look scary." -- King Harald Fairhair, some Viking king or other.
 sexyisback!
Msg: 47
Posted: 11/24/2010 1:53:55 PM
I believe that women with very short hair would be discriminated against as well.

I'm talking like a crew-cut, buzz-cut military look..or even shaved like Sinead O'Connor was at one time

people think they are weird, odd-ball, druggies, what-ever.

why should that be either?

as another poster said, sadly there are many, many forms of discrimination which shouldn't exist, but do.

based on looks, attractiveness level -do you really think a plain, 'average'-looking woman could be hired as a news anchor on a national network? or guy for that matter, most are sort of pretty boys.

based on weight, physique, waist size ..the overweight/fat/obese are discriminated against .

based on ethnic origin, last name (if it sounds ethnic, even if it doesn't represent your ethnicity)

of course the old standbys, race, religion, ethnic origins, gender, sexual orientation, etc., etc. just because it may be "illegal" to discriminate on these bases doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I think that worrying about men with long, flowing 'beautiful' hair being 'discriminated' against s rather minor compared to these other cases..
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 11/29/2010 4:42:41 PM
guys with long hair should be strung up, every last one of em. rat baztard degenerates.
 MoxNix
Msg: 49
Posted: 12/3/2010 8:52:22 AM
Never..although i think i have a bit of a hippie fetish;)
Msg: 50
Posted: 12/7/2010 5:47:52 PM
I've never really cared for long hair on a man except for a time when I was a young teenager.I find that the older a man gets the worse long hair looks on him.So many men lose their hair or at least go bald on top so that if they have long hair they just end up looking scruffy.Very few men can pull off looking classy and neatly kept with long hair.

There are worse discriminations out there then long hair.Hair is something you can do something about.It's not like we are talking about gender,age or skin color which you can't change.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Should men be discriminated against because of long hair?