Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Should men be discriminated against because of long hair?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mydaddy
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Should men be discriminated against because of long hair?Page 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
One of the reasons it is used in the military is to dehumanize and limit the individual factor. It may have some to do with hygiene but these days it is almost a non issue. Professional? It is a goofy argument a red herring. Image is what is decided in a society and a narrow minded ignorant stance is exactly the one you have chosen. Your perception is based on your back ground and teachings and I must say they are extremely simple. EEO was put into place so idiots like you couldn't push your idea of what is down others throats. Dont you get it you are the problem and defending this position is frightening. What is it you are afraid of? If you don't want to grow out your hair don't. If I am qualified for the job and have long hair hire me. Its that simple stop trying to defend this position you sound like a fool. Homosexuality is a choice or at least that is the general conscientious these days but they are protected from fools. Many groups are. This is bigotry pure and simple there is no gray area here.
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 41
Should men be discriminated against because of long hair?
Posted: 8/26/2010 7:13:59 AM
Long hair on men in not the preferred look in most businesses and having had hair half way down my back when I was 16 ( early 70`s hippie wannabe ) and having friends and acquaintainces who still have long hair I understand the stigma. For the record I got tired of the hassle of having long hair when I was 17.

Women are usually expected to wear a bra, and makeup ( etc etc. ) to most jobs and men are usually expected to have their hair and face groomed a certain way for most jobs. If a man shows up to a job interview with long hair or an bad beard he will limit his job options as will a woman showing up to a job interview in a t shirt and jeans with no bra and no makeup ( this might get her the job in some instances ). Most men with long hair do not have nice enough hair to pull it off and if they do they rarely take care of it the way a woman with long hair takes care of hers.

Employers discriminate in many ways based on appearance without admitting it, I wonder how long it will be before employers start discriminating against those with visible tattoos.
 FyrKrakn
Msg: 42
Posted: 11/22/2010 7:12:35 PM
If it looks bad on him, he wears it in a dirty mullet, it is a hazard in his occupation, or it is prettier than yours, cut it while he is sleeping. If he is Sampson, he should still be able to bring the house down.
 abelian
Msg: 43
Posted: 11/22/2010 7:53:56 PM
No, men shouldn't be discriminated against because of having long hair, but the fact is they are.

Musician, Actor, Wrestler, Dancer, Model,

College professor and scientist are two more.

I just don't think this is fair and wonder why so many people are so closed minded about it.

No, it's not fair, but lots of things aren't fair. I used to have really long hair and I still would if I wasn't losing my hair. On the other hand, if I were a defendant on trial, I'd damn sure get a conservative hair cut and hire an tall, attractive attorney with a conservative haircut who wears nice suits to represent me rather than try to make a fashion statement that would turn off the jury.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 44
Posted: 11/23/2010 8:58:48 AM

(tigress) I can't help it. I am just totally attracted to men with beautiful hair.

We should meet, you and I. I don't wanna brag, but Rapunzel... ('cept I'm not blond).

And yet, I see over and over again, that society, as a whole, discriminates against them because of it and it makes it hard for them to get ahead.

Yeah, well, them's the breaks. Some people are gonna discriminate against guys with long hair... I know that I didn't decide to go all hippy on a whim... I knew the shortfalls of having long hair (okay, pun definitely intended...)

Dr. ES...
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 45
Posted: 11/23/2010 10:22:25 AM

(lateā„¢ ) Throughout history until the early twentieth century, the majority of men have worn their hair long.

"Long hair makes a handsome man look better, and an ugly man look scary." -- King Harald Fairhair, some Viking king or other.
 sexyisback!
Msg: 46
Posted: 11/24/2010 1:53:55 PM
I believe that women with very short hair would be discriminated against as well.

I'm talking like a crew-cut, buzz-cut military look..or even shaved like Sinead O'Connor was at one time

people think they are weird, odd-ball, druggies, what-ever.

why should that be either?

as another poster said, sadly there are many, many forms of discrimination which shouldn't exist, but do.

based on looks, attractiveness level -do you really think a plain, 'average'-looking woman could be hired as a news anchor on a national network? or guy for that matter, most are sort of pretty boys.

based on weight, physique, waist size ..the overweight/fat/obese are discriminated against .

based on ethnic origin, last name (if it sounds ethnic, even if it doesn't represent your ethnicity)

of course the old standbys, race, religion, ethnic origins, gender, sexual orientation, etc., etc. just because it may be "illegal" to discriminate on these bases doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I think that worrying about men with long, flowing 'beautiful' hair being 'discriminated' against s rather minor compared to these other cases..
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 11/29/2010 4:42:41 PM
guys with long hair should be strung up, every last one of em. rat baztard degenerates.
 MoxNix
Msg: 48
Posted: 12/3/2010 8:52:22 AM
Never..although i think i have a bit of a hippie fetish;)
Msg: 49
Posted: 12/7/2010 5:47:52 PM
I've never really cared for long hair on a man except for a time when I was a young teenager.I find that the older a man gets the worse long hair looks on him.So many men lose their hair or at least go bald on top so that if they have long hair they just end up looking scruffy.Very few men can pull off looking classy and neatly kept with long hair.

There are worse discriminations out there then long hair.Hair is something you can do something about.It's not like we are talking about gender,age or skin color which you can't change.
 PrinceCharmingsCousin
Msg: 50
Posted: 12/8/2010 1:28:02 PM
The whole historic thing is kind of weak, fashion has changed and evolved throughout time deal with it! People used to wear suits and dresses everywhere (NICE clothes) not ripped up pants or jeans hanging off their azz, go back even further to romans, greeks, and egyptians men wore skirts, and robes, and dress like items...are you REALLY going to try to wear that nowadays? or try to wear the outrageous mustaches and beards that were once all the rage. We also have to admit that haircuts/barbers/stylists available to ALL (not just rich people) was not a constant throughout history...often times especially for the poorer families, momma was the barber...

We also bathe/shower more often then our historical brethren.

Personally I was raised in a culture wear men had short well kept hair, and women had long hair. My dad took me to the barber as a kid and got me a man's haircut. Like someone else has mentioned when I see long hair on a dude I think drugged out rocker, or hobo....I also really deep down don't understand why they want long hair, just like they probably don't understand why I shave my head.

For the record I don't shave my head because i'm in the military, I actually started shaving it way before I got in. As to the military keeping short hair to dehumanize troops...I don't get it...the only time you HAVE to have you're head shaved is Recruit school, and thats more so for ease, as well as to start the transition from Civilian to Soldier/Sailor/Airman.

After recruit school so long as your hair is regulation...you can have hair and comb it...as we say in the mil...if you don't know what you're talking about stay in your lane.

As a side note: discrimination sucks, but it happens, hell myself and my family get discriminated against and refused service, and etc, merely because we are francophones, in a primarily anglophone country...and french is one of the official 2 languages!
Posted: 5/5/2013 9:58:15 PM
Yes...hehe...as an ex-longhaired type, I say that it's just not fair, man. I have had jobs with my 2 feet of full hair, but such things were hard to find.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 52
Posted: 5/9/2013 10:35:47 AM
For women who like (love, adore, are turned on by) men with long hair: Pow-Wows are a trip. . . . Just sayin' (and bring a fan -- whew!)
 vlad dracul
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2013 12:11:07 AM
Alas long hair is a distant memory for myself now. IF i was to
attempt a long barnet i would then resemble krusty the clown
(feel free to add additional comparisons as i have skin thicker
than a rhinos arse)

Would extreme mullets count as long hair then?

A visit to the sweeney todd now lasts less than 5 mins. A number
2 cut with the clippers and even then the time is padded out by the trimming of the bugle
hairs and the tidying up of the two hairy caterpillars above my eyes.

Ah well
 Vesta_ceres
Msg: 54
Posted: 5/10/2013 5:00:41 AM
How are they oppressed for donning long hair? Pre-judgements come in all forms. It's an entirely different matter if they're denied jobs, housing, education opportunities, service at a restaurant, or full protection under the law, based on the length of their hair.

By the way, whether a man dons long hair, dreads, a mullet, a line up, no hair, a crew cut, or a mohawk does not solely determine his worth as a human being.
 Hozo
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2013 6:39:00 PM
Good thread. Yes, there is discrimination....I have lived it and still live it to this day. It actually is a tool I use to weed out plastic superficial people. They judge me in an instant, and likewise I see that side of their personality and instantly know where they stand. I try to avoid them in most situations. It is simply a unique screening process for me concerning the general populace. It is no different than you judging someone by their political leanings, ethnic origin, etc. It is plain and simple discrimination at the end of the day, and I react accordingly.

Long hair is acceptable in my "profession", but I still am judged even within those circles by mainstream plastic conformists. I/We(age 50+) came of age in an era where guys & girls grew their hair long. Girls with long hair were the coming-of-age types vs. the stoic old fashioned 1950s housewife looking mom types with the bee hive bubble-do's. Same with men. Guys with short hair were akin to the white cracker southern redneck John Birch Society mentality who burned Beatles albums at rallies, while the long haired dudes were looked upon as free thinkers..open minded..worldly avant garde etc.

It was an era, not the fad of the week, & it made an impression on me as I matured. So to this day I still hold those preferences & dont care what the fashionable hairdo of the month club says which style is in or out at the moment. LOL

What I dont understand are girls who say they dont like guys with long hair, but they all swoon over the latest long haired swashbuckling hero in the latest action flick, or better yet that long haired rock star. Its been like that forever too. Whats up with that??
 cotter
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 12/3/2015 7:30:08 PM
From the OP ...
A lot of people take one look at a long haired man and assume he is either, on drugs, lazy, into illegal activities, no good, etc
I know plenty of long-haired men who are not only extremely smart but also very ... VERY sexy.

If someone is discriminating against a man because he has long hair, then IMO ... they are the loser. There are a lot of other things we need to take into consideration when hiring someone other than their hair length.

I recall when I was in high school (many, many years ago) and long-haired musicians (The Beatles, etc.) were all the thing. Believe it or not, if a young man was not in a musical group or could not prove he was in a band of some sort, he was not allowed to have hair any longer than the collar of his shirt. Not abiding by that rule could get a guy expelled from school!

Of course, back then all the girls wanted to look like Cher ... so their hair was straight and down to their waists.

As long as a man's hair is clean and tidy, seems to me that only small-minded people would discriminate against him.
 Maleman999
Msg: 57
Posted: 12/4/2015 7:24:36 AM
Although nobody knows what Jesus looked like-or if there ever was a Jesus-he's always portrayed as a guy with long hair and scruffy facial hair. Nobody accused him of being a pot smoking hippie who has no ambition. What I find funny are the old time western movies and TV shows, where they show rugged cowboys, pioneers, and settlers out in the middle of nowhere, who are always clean shaven with perfect haircuts and hairdos. Even after a shoot-out, or fight scene in a saloon, every hair is in place and their clothes are spotlessly clean. I guess the creators of those shows back then didn't want to upset the old-timers who would find it offensive if they showed what people actually looked like back then-guys with long hair and beards and women without styled hairdos. People would never be able to handle having John Wayne looking like a hippie or having dirt on his clothes or cowboy boots in western movies. It would have caused temporary insanity among the fans. They would have boycotted movies and never watch western shows on TV unless every cowboy shown has a $50 haircut, clean shaven, and women have a $100 hairdo and manicured nails.
 caballerosiempre
Msg: 58
Posted: 12/11/2015 12:09:40 PM
...I am judged by mainstream plastic conformists.. irony alert. .? So good that you avoid judgment yourself. .lol
Posted: 12/11/2015 10:57:22 PM
caballerosiempre, btw....what are you looking at, off to the side? And do you have a shirt on?
 cooldog65
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2015 11:45:26 PM
I cringe when I think about the mullet I had for 8 years. I can thank my ex-wife for killing the mullet and my fanny pack.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 61
Posted: 12/13/2015 11:44:29 AM

but I still am judged even within those circles by mainstream plastic conformists.

I had long hair back in the day, but I recognize that this was my most mainstream conformist period. I had long hair because everyone had long hair. In my defense, I was a teenager with all the screwed up insecurity teenagers always have. There's nothing rebellious in doing what all your friends are doing.

Long hair is just a pain in the ass. Short hair dries fast, don't need a brush - fingers work just fine.

I remember seeing when Patti Smith asked William S Burroughs what was the longest period he went without shaving when he was a junkie. Burroughs replied that he always showered, shaved, put on a clean shirt and tie every morning. If you want to be a non-conformist, your hair style is just fashion. Rebels shoot some morphine then play William Tell with their wives.
 8inscrew
Msg: 62
Posted: 12/13/2015 4:39:53 PM
I'm a rebel and still let my locks grow.

Cut em every two years or so, whether they need it or not.
I figure a bit of hassle washing and conditioning is easier
than a kid getting teased for getting cancer and having no hair.
 AussieNancy
Msg: 63
Posted: 12/13/2015 4:52:30 PM
Guys with long hair was all the rage in the 70's and thereabouts. You weren't cool unless you had long hair. :)

I was always jealous, and I am to this day, of men's long locks. Always healthy hair and like silk to touch.
 Dragracer428
Msg: 64
Posted: 12/13/2015 5:21:40 PM
Have had long hair for the last 20 years, never noticed any discrimination of any kind but I can be quite oblivious of the world around me.

As far as dating, smoking is a much greater sin it seems, never had anyone explicitly say no because of the long hair.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Should men be discriminated against because of long hair?