Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 tjrogelio
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Celebrities and PoliticsPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Does your father include Reagan and Schwarzenegger in this group?
 packagedealx3
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Celebrities and Politics
Posted: 1/3/2007 7:19:12 PM
I think the involvement of celebrities, particularly fairly young adults, is positive because it can prompt many people to become politically active. It is also nice to see wealthy people supporting candidates as well as philanthropic organizations. Conservative candidates often have more financial backing so liberal celebrities just help to even things out.
 designingwoman
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Celebrities and Politics
Posted: 1/3/2007 10:54:52 PM
I like the celebrities who try to make the world a better place, such as Oprah Winfrey's leadership academy, and Bono's efforts to relieve Third World national debts. Hats off to the environmental activists who are striving to get the urgent message about global warming out to the public. This is a serious matter that demands our attention, and I am grateful to those who work to bring this issue to the forefront. Even Ahnold has brought this issue to the front pages in California by signing into law a bill that deals with this issue. Well done, Arnold.

As far as right wing kooks, I just ignore them and make time to listen to those who truly have something serious to say. I just cannot take stupidly ignorant right wing kooks seriously, like Rush Limpuke and Bill O'Lielly. I laugh at them and call them names because they brought it upon themselves
 Bubbles27
Msg: 19
Celebrities and Politics
Posted: 1/6/2007 8:48:54 PM
I think they have every right to voice their 2 cents, Doesn't mean we have to listen.
 Bubbles27
Msg: 21
Celebrities and Politics
Posted: 1/6/2007 9:12:04 PM
Only a moron would vote for someone just because some Hollywood Dork told them to.
 vnufall
Msg: 29
Celebrities and Politics
Posted: 6/24/2011 6:30:36 PM
yes well that was what ended the vietnam war...when the draft went into effect and it was time to send the senators and congressmen son's off...support for the war ended.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Celebrities and Politics
Posted: 6/25/2011 10:34:52 AM
That's not how I remember it. The powerful have always been able to find ways to protect their young from the things we peasants have to deal with, sometimes carefully arranging for their sons and daughters to give the APPEARANCE of participation. Some actually did sacrifice their own children.

The draft was going for a long time before enough of the public began to think that Vietnam was NOT the sort of war that could be fought and won as others before had been, or fought to a stalemate, like Korea.

But you ARE right, that current politicians know how unpopular it is to draft people, which is why Bush and company didn't even HINT tat it was a possibility, even when hey had to force our "volunteer army" to stay on the job, after their contracts ran out (the infamous 'stop-loss' program).

When will our current wars be ended by popular acclamation? hard to tell. the only thing our politicians can be reasonably sure of, is that who ever does institute a draft, will be forced out of office for it.
 vnufall
Msg: 31
Celebrities and Politics
Posted: 6/26/2011 7:05:29 AM
generally speaking the draft in vietnam was made up of the poor kids. wealthy kids could hide in college, or hire lawyers or run to canada. as the war became more unpopular and looking as an unwinable situation the public sentiment changed. i've gotton to know many men from that generation who hid out in university in those days. what bothers me was that it was the poor kids doing the fighting for a senseless war. i think michael moores idea of drafting kids from the top wealthiest families is an interesting (tho will never happen) concept. it sure would put things in perspective relating to why we're fighting and exactly what interests we are protecting.
 mateo45
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Celebrities and Politics
Posted: 7/27/2011 4:27:08 PM
I had this debate with my Father last night.
He thinks the Hollywood elite, as he calls them, should shush their mouths about politics and stick to what they know…Entertaining. He also believes they have, basically, “Free Access” to the media because of their super star status.

Your dad is just repeating the neo-con narrative that started out with the myth about the "Liberal Media" (which apparently means everything that isn't FOX), to the current conservative strategy, which is to go after everything that tends to support liberals and the Dems... like unions, public employees, minorities, etc, and of course "Hollywood"!

BTW, a lot of folks might not be aware that Ronald Reagan was originally a longtime Democrat, and didn't switch to the Republican Party until 1962 (not long after he became a spokesman for GE)!
 vlad dracul
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Celebrities and Politics
Posted: 8/5/2011 9:44:27 AM
ah celebs in politics

wonderful. the windbag aka bonio. calling the american president whilst on stage lol
i dont know who the bigger twat was, bonio or the divvy who answered the phone to him.

was bonio not recently pictured getting out of a helicopter in africa carrying a gucci bag that would probably funded a hospital?

and yes the adverts. raising money for the starving in africa, telling all how they MUST help by donating money. forgetting how they shovelled the GDP of an african nation up their nose. (of course they only used fair trade cocaine, more expensive but little pedro was guarenteed a priest present when he was executed by the cartel)

i think the film team america summed up ac tors and politics very well

madonna funding an orphanige in africa, did that not happen after she had been told she could not adopt an african child?
lady ga ga lol oh dear. a talentless nut job who spends millions dressing like a dafty. could not the daft slapper fund homeless shelters in american citys rather than dressing even more stupid just to get in the papers? (where of course she waffles long and loud about how everyone is beastly and nasty, apart from her)
even minor soap stars get in on the act although the MSM have to use their characters name as no one knows their real one

so yes lets have a reality tv show called MY CAUSE IS BETTER THAN YOUR CAUSE AND I CARE MORE. a house filled with ishoo driven ac tors and divas all hissy fitting and in tears, going through kleenex tissues that a brazilian rain forest was cut down to make.
the public then get to evict those who do not cry enough or are bad at laying on guilt trips

the winner gets their cause celebrated and steven speilberg makes a multi million dollar film about it, starring the winner who earns $10 million for their effort.

all money goes to agents, lawyers, film companys and cocaine dealers

but then of course they COULD shut the **** up and let the doctors and nurses and aid staff and all the others get on with the job without having some divvy and the press poking cameras in some dying childs face

but hey? that aint hollywood
 flyguy51
Msg: 37
Celebrities and Politics
Posted: 8/22/2011 11:53:45 PM
Which is worse: celebrities behaving like political pundits or political pundits behaving like celebrities?
 freethink77
Msg: 38
Celebrities and Politics
Posted: 9/2/2011 3:43:57 AM
Really good stuff...
By Penn Jillette, Special to CNN August 17, 2011 3:26 p.m. EDT
Editor's note: Penn Jillette, a writer, television host and frequent guest on a wide range of shows, is half of the Emmy Award -winning magic duo Penn & Teller. He's the author of a new book,"God, No! Signs You May Already Be an Atheist and Other Magical Tales,".

(CNN) -- I try to claim that I was friends with the genius Richard Feynman. He came to our show a few times and was very complimentary, and I had dinner with him a couple times, and we chatted on the phone several times. I'd call him to get quick tutoring on physics so I could pretend to read his books.
No matter how much I want to brag, it's overstating it to call him a friend. I would never have called him to help me move a couch. I did, however, call him once to ask how we could score some liquid nitrogen for a Letterman spot we wanted to do. He was the only physicist I knew at the time. He explained patiently that he didn't know. He was a theoretical physicist and I needed a hands-on guy, but he'd try to find one for me.
About a half-hour later a physics teacher from a community college in Brooklyn called me and said, "I don't know what kind of practical joke this is, but a Nobel Prize-winning scientist just called me here at the community college, gave me this number, and told me to call Penn of Penn & Teller to help with a Letterman appearance."
I guess that's close to a friend.
My friend Richard Feynman said, "I don't know." I heard him say it several times. He said it just like Harold, the mentally handicapped dishwasher I worked with when I was a young man making minimum wage at Famous Bill's Restaurant in Greenfield, Massachusetts.
"I don't know" is not an apology. There's no shame. It's a simple statement of fact. When Richard Feynman didn't know, he often worked harder than anyone else to find out, but while he didn't know, he said, "I don't know."
I like to think I fit in somewhere between my friends Harold and Richard. I don't know. I try to remember to say "I don't know" just the way they both did, as a simple statement of fact. It doesn't always work, but I try.
Last week I was interviewed for Piers Morgan's show (which used to be Larry King's show). Piers beat me up a bit for being an atheist (that's his job) and then beat me up a bit for being a libertarian (also his job). He did this by asking me impossible questions, questions that none of us, Harold, Richard, me, (or Piers), could ever answer.
He started with "How did you get here?" and I started talking about my road to showbiz and atheism and he interrupted and said he meant how the universe was created. I said, "I don't know."
He said, "God," an answer that meant Piers didn't know either, but he had a word for it that was supposed to make me feel left out of his enlightened club.
Then he asked me what we could do to help poor people. I said I donated money, food, medical care, and services and he said, "No," he meant, what could society do to solve the problem of poor people. Again, I was stumped.
He said the government had to do it, which I interpreted as another way of saying he didn't know, but he thought that made me look mean ... even though I do care and do try to help.
What makes me libertarian is what makes me an atheist -- I don't know. If I don't know, I don't believe. I don't know exactly how we got here, and I don't think anyone else does, either. We have some of the pieces of the puzzle and we'll get more, but I'm not going to use faith to fill in the gaps. I'm not going to believe things that TV hosts state without proof. I'll wait for real evidence and then I'll believe.
And I don't think anyone really knows how to help everyone. I don't even know what's best for me. Take my uncertainty about what's best for me and multiply that by every combination of the over 300 million people in the United States and I have no idea what the government should do.
President Obama sure looks and acts way smarter than me, but no one is 2 to the 300 millionth power times smarter than me. No one is even 2 to the 300 millionth times smarter than a squirrel. I sure don't know what to do about an AA+ rating and if we should live beyond our means and about compromise and sacrifice. I have no idea. I'm scared to death of being in debt. I was a street juggler and carny trash -- I couldn't get my debt limit raised, I couldn't even get a debt limit -- my only choice was to live within my means. That's all I understand from my experience, and that's not much.
It's amazing to me how many people think that voting to have the government give poor people money is compassion. Helping poor and suffering people is compassion. Voting for our government to use guns to give money to help poor and suffering people is immoral self-righteous bullying laziness.
People need to be fed, medicated, educated, clothed, and sheltered, and if we're compassionate we'll help them, but you get no moral credit for forcing other people to do what you think is right. There is great joy in helping people, but no joy in doing it at gunpoint.
People try to argue that government isn't really force. You believe that? Try not paying your taxes. (This is only a thought experiment -- suggesting on CNN.com that someone not pay his or her taxes is probably a federal offense, and I'm a nut, but I'm not crazy.). When they come to get you for not paying your taxes, try not going to court. Guns will be drawn. Government is force -- literally, not figuratively.
I don't believe the majority always knows what's best for everyone. The fact that the majority thinks they have a way to get something good does not give them the right to use force on the minority that don't want to pay for it. If you have to use a gun, I don't believe you really know jack. Democracy without respect for individual rights sucks. It's just ganging up against the weird kid, and I'm always the weird kid.
How did we get here and how do we save everyone? I don't know, but I'm doing the best I can. Sorry Piers, that's all I got.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/08/16/jillette.atheist.libertarian/index.html?hpt=hp_c2
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Celebrities and Politics
Posted: 9/2/2011 6:06:54 AM
That article DOES improve my appreciation of Penn. I have found his strident Cable persona a bit too over-the-top for my tastes, but it DOES seem to be mostly an act, by this text.

Anyway, from the time I was a very short person, I have observed recognizable strangers (i.e. famous people) saying all MANNER of things, and expecting, or at least hoping, that more people would do as they wanted them to, because THEY said what they thought.

When it comes to the onlookers, they always follow the same set of categories:

* the ones who DON'T like what the F.P. says, wants them to shut up, but they know that if they just say "shut up," that they will be correctly recognized as being opposed to free speech. So instead, they wheedle that someone who is famous for ONE thing has no credentials to speak out about something else.

* the ones who DO like what was said, tend to welcome the message being spread, even if the F.P. did a poor job of it.

The funny thing is, if you what carefully enough, you will find members of BOTH groups, crossing over and citing the principles used by the OTHER group, when ever the F.P. in question fails to say what they want them to.
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 40
Celebrities and Politics
Posted: 9/2/2011 11:32:20 AM
"It isn't just liberals... How about some of our POLITICIANS start signing up? BOTH of the last two presidents have been draft dodgers, and I don't see any of the people getting us into this mess in Iraq or Afghanistan or eyeing Iran for the next strike sending thier kids out for the slaughter. If they are really in this for human rights (as opposed to further stuffing the bank accounts of the shareholders of their daddy's corporate buddies,) maybe they could start showing it. The Bush Babies and Chelsea in uniform? C'mon - you know it'll never happen. They're happy to send OUR kids, but hands off theirs. "

Remember, Mitt Romney's sons can't serve in the military because he needs them on his campaign. But it's A-Ok if YOUR kid goes off and dies without a good reason.
 cotter
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Celebrities and Politics
Posted: 9/2/2011 6:24:13 PM
^^^^^
I personally think any politician needing to vote on whether or not we should send troops somewhere should abstain if their children are too young to serve or if their children are too old to serve. Only those with children old enough to serve should be voting and then they should only be allowed to vote if and when we are assured their children will be the first to go if they vote to send troops.

I could care less about which celebrity speaks up for which candidate. What would concern me is if they are allowed to put their money where their mouth is. With this new allowance from the Supreme Court that there are no longer limits ... then our Hollywood friends are obviously in a much better position to back their candidate than the unemployed guy down the street is to donate ... eh?
 larissan04
Msg: 42
Celebrities and Politics
Posted: 9/3/2011 10:11:25 PM
of course celebrities have the right to say what ever they want. however, that doesn't mean that they are free from criticism or a response to the things they say. all that the free speech clause really guarantees is that the government won't show up at your door in the middle of the night and arrest you for speaking out against the government. it doesn't mean that you aren't going to be criticized for the things you say, or even fired for them. celebrities do have a certain amount of unearned respect, and more often then not their views on politics are pretty predictable, cookie cutter, ill informed, and trite. why people listen to them is beyond me, but people do, especially young people who are so easily distracted by shiny things.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >