Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 HRWild
Msg: 68
forgotten instruments...Page 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
bongos, congas, and timbales
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 72
view profile
History
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 6/30/2007 12:22:39 AM
Now don't laugh ....ukelele .

Check out Jake Shimabukuro on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9mEKMz2Pvo

"While my Uke Gently Weeps ? "

He used to set it up with pedals and effects, as well. Now he's back to the purity of acoustic.
 Larissan04
Msg: 73
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 7/1/2007 5:41:36 PM
i am partial to melotrons myself... love the strings... the choir... flutes... etc. of course people started using these sounds again.... so lovely... and you can get great samples or plug ins so you dont actually have to deal with one of those monsters...

i am also a big fan of vocodrs...

lar
 to many cold ppl here
Msg: 74
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 7/3/2007 5:00:04 AM
I love the old Hammond B3 sound with the leslie tone cabinet! You cant beat that!
But to answer your question . ...the sound THEREMIN either the old fashion waving the hand in the AIR or pressure tab style like the one the BEACHBOYS used heheh!!
 HRWild
Msg: 75
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 7/3/2007 10:58:23 AM
The Lyre and the Pipes
 Stargaze71
Msg: 76
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 7/3/2007 9:13:41 PM
I don't know what any of those synth models are - but it reminded me of: The Keytar!
 Mr Old Man Dude
Msg: 79
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 9/10/2007 5:04:00 PM
Havent seen Moog Taurus Pedals around in a long long time!
 Restore_the_4th_Amendment
Msg: 84
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 4/22/2009 12:17:21 AM
Gaida is still played in the Balkans and Near East in folk music. It really isn't forgotten. Also the lyre has a new following in world music but is much less commonly played since the days of antiquity.

I play a Greek lyra (a type of fiddle) from a region of the world which was known as "Pontos". Pontian Greek music is now becoming very popular among Greek people.

The earliest musical instruments are oddly the most beautiful in sound despite often the crudeness. Perhaps it is their inherent primitiveness, crude look and sound which gives them their allure?
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 85
view profile
History
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 5/6/2009 11:33:27 PM

When they closed with George Harrisons song I don't think there was a dry eye in the audience. The whole experience, the whole concert was so different... unusually gentle and just a smidge surreal. That was the most relaxing concert I have ever attended.

Thanks for reminding me of that.

You are welcome.

When I saw McCartney play in Quebec City last year, he actually started off "Something" playing solo on the uke that Harrison had given him as a gift.

It sounded wonderful, and worked perfectly.
 Lucky_So_n_So
Msg: 86
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 5/7/2009 3:33:39 PM
Practically everything Harry Partch used to make. In the days before synthesizers, he made instruments that tuned to true temperament. For those that don't know, that requires about 37 notes per octave. Yes, Louise, there is actually a difference between F# and Gb.

Anyways, now with modern digital instruments, those micro tone differences are programmed in automatically so all those extra keys are never needed.

In his house, Harry had a set of stairs tuned to all those microtones. A true oddity he was.
 Husker Freak
Msg: 87
view profile
History
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 5/8/2009 8:50:02 PM
Glad someone mentioned the keytar. It does not get anymore 80's than that. Now where did I leave my Members Only jacket?
 signalz
Msg: 88
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 5/8/2009 10:40:49 PM
I use to have a B-3 years ago on the road years ago with two large Leslie cabs but everyone disappeared when it came time to move. I still have the two Leslie cabs (would never let them go) but now I have a Voce V5 emulator running into a CME controller that weighs about 40 lbs. and sounds very close to the B-3 but what really makes the difference are the Leslie cabs. Any organ can sound good plugged into these cabs.
 HowRJ
Msg: 89
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 6/13/2009 8:54:40 PM
the accordion......

steel guitar.......
 mascot1
Msg: 90
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 6/17/2009 6:50:35 PM
I watched a movie I have that features a song played only by harp, so "uncool" by todays standard of "cool" music, but it sounds majestic. Not to be forgotten.
A few friends I had way back in high school played in a metal band together. I can't remember why but one day they all had kazoos. When "O Canada" played, all on the kazoo they played along to it! Most memorable O Canada Ever!
 Principessa957
Msg: 91
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 6/21/2009 5:54:53 AM
The Mellotron and Theremin - I've been hearing more of them lately.
 Windeyaho
Msg: 92
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 6/21/2009 6:09:54 PM
Beatles fans will remember the sitar and the djembe from their meditation days in India. Australian outbackers might remember the diggerido ("Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport"). And, then there's always the American jaw harp. But I'm kinda old fashioned, I'd like to see the reverb that Les Paul used come back into vogue. . . . . it's probably been digitally duplicated exactly as he did it, but it's no longer popular.....like so many good sounds that have passed into the ether......
 denfromnyc
Msg: 94
view profile
History
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 8/16/2009 4:10:51 AM
If I made an album, I'd be sure to include a glass harmonica. It was invented by Ben Franklin, and it's similar to the water-filled glasses played by Sandra Bullock in the film "Miss Congeniality." Or a theremin.

If you're interested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_harmonica
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theremin

Great thread!
 2ears1mouth
Msg: 95
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 8/16/2009 5:59:35 AM
Yeah, I don't hear much harpsichord these days, outside of classical stuff. Not even the keyboard synth imitation...
 Rob_SA
Msg: 96
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 8/16/2009 7:06:38 AM
The popularity of instruments seems to go in cycles. Tenor guitars used to be folk instruments but now you see people like Warren Ellis (from Nick Cave's band) and Neko Case playing tenors, especially solidbody electric versions. Lap steel guitars were the realm of country and western musicians or cool people like David Lindley from Jackson Browne's band back in the 70's... now they're favoured by blues and roots musicians. Ukuleles were quirky instruments used by people like George Formby to play "Mr Woo how do you do"... now you have people like the aforementioned Jake playing uke, and if you really want to see what a little electric uke can do check this out...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr_XGAVy3x0&
 OldSpice48
Msg: 97
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 8/13/2012 8:05:56 PM
You don't hear the Jew's harp, or Ozark harp as it's sometimes called, anymore in popular music. I remember in the 70's that GooseCreek Symphony used it, the Ozark Mountain Daredevils on a song or two, the Incredible String Band, Leonard Cohen, & even the Who & Black Sabbath on the odd song!
 bamagrl68
Msg: 98
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 8/22/2012 8:53:24 PM
vindicator- My favorite is the Harpsichord. It's not really forgotten by people who listen to classical music.
Bach wrote some of his music for the Harpsichord.
It looks similar to a piano. It has a keyboard and when the keys are pressed, a string is plucked.
To hear it played well, go to youtube and watch Camparone play Scarlatti. Beautiful :)
 Tayfire
Msg: 99
view profile
History
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 8/23/2012 10:29:53 AM
In the 70's i had one and so did my brother, Rolf Harris's Xylaphone which was also used on David Bowie's Space Oddity in 1972.
 AxemanMixer
Msg: 100
view profile
History
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 8/25/2012 12:53:08 AM
Wow, this is an old thread! How about the Mellotron? In the days before synthisis, when you couldn't rent an orchestra... bring them on tape! I worked in a little recording studio when I was 21 and a guy came in with a mellotron. He was in the washington state area but was doing some gigs with the keyboardist from the moody blues (Mike Pinder I believe). He brought in this device called the mellotron and we miked up a leslie for the sound when he wanted the rotation effects. We recorded two complete songs and he was to take them to LA for mastering. Supposedly I was to get recording credits on the album but never heard from the guy or if there was even a finished product. This was circa 91-92 and the album project was featuring the mellotron on all tracks.

If anyone has heard of this project... DO let me know! Because I just don't know dud from what happened to it.
 julian0415
Msg: 101
view profile
History
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 10/19/2012 12:12:46 PM
How about STEVE MILLERS 52 STRING HARP GUITAR . he used it in his song WILD MOUNTIAN HONEY.
a very hypnotic instrument I would like to hear more of.
 shoulderlegs
Msg: 102
view profile
History
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 10/30/2012 9:55:33 PM
I don't know if it's been mentioned or not, but the serpent is pretty much all but forgotten! Composer Bernard Herrmann (1911-1975) used the serpent in his scores for Journey to the Centre of the Earth, among others, and composer Jerry Goldsmith(1929-2004) used the serpent in his score for Alien. Very creepy instrument! It got it's name because - well - it sort of looks like a serpent! :D
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >