Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Rob_SA
Msg: 96
forgotten instruments...Page 5 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
The popularity of instruments seems to go in cycles. Tenor guitars used to be folk instruments but now you see people like Warren Ellis (from Nick Cave's band) and Neko Case playing tenors, especially solidbody electric versions. Lap steel guitars were the realm of country and western musicians or cool people like David Lindley from Jackson Browne's band back in the 70's... now they're favoured by blues and roots musicians. Ukuleles were quirky instruments used by people like George Formby to play "Mr Woo how do you do"... now you have people like the aforementioned Jake playing uke, and if you really want to see what a little electric uke can do check this out...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr_XGAVy3x0&
 OldSpice48
Msg: 97
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 8/13/2012 8:05:56 PM
You don't hear the Jew's harp, or Ozark harp as it's sometimes called, anymore in popular music. I remember in the 70's that GooseCreek Symphony used it, the Ozark Mountain Daredevils on a song or two, the Incredible String Band, Leonard Cohen, & even the Who & Black Sabbath on the odd song!
 bamagrl68
Msg: 98
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 8/22/2012 8:53:24 PM
vindicator- My favorite is the Harpsichord. It's not really forgotten by people who listen to classical music.
Bach wrote some of his music for the Harpsichord.
It looks similar to a piano. It has a keyboard and when the keys are pressed, a string is plucked.
To hear it played well, go to youtube and watch Camparone play Scarlatti. Beautiful :)
 Tayfire
Msg: 99
view profile
History
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 8/23/2012 10:29:53 AM
In the 70's i had one and so did my brother, Rolf Harris's Xylaphone which was also used on David Bowie's Space Oddity in 1972.
 AxemanMixer
Msg: 100
view profile
History
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 8/25/2012 12:53:08 AM
Wow, this is an old thread! How about the Mellotron? In the days before synthisis, when you couldn't rent an orchestra... bring them on tape! I worked in a little recording studio when I was 21 and a guy came in with a mellotron. He was in the washington state area but was doing some gigs with the keyboardist from the moody blues (Mike Pinder I believe). He brought in this device called the mellotron and we miked up a leslie for the sound when he wanted the rotation effects. We recorded two complete songs and he was to take them to LA for mastering. Supposedly I was to get recording credits on the album but never heard from the guy or if there was even a finished product. This was circa 91-92 and the album project was featuring the mellotron on all tracks.

If anyone has heard of this project... DO let me know! Because I just don't know dud from what happened to it.
 julian0415
Msg: 101
view profile
History
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 10/19/2012 12:12:46 PM
How about STEVE MILLERS 52 STRING HARP GUITAR . he used it in his song WILD MOUNTIAN HONEY.
a very hypnotic instrument I would like to hear more of.
 shoulderlegs
Msg: 102
view profile
History
forgotten instruments...
Posted: 10/30/2012 9:55:33 PM
I don't know if it's been mentioned or not, but the serpent is pretty much all but forgotten! Composer Bernard Herrmann (1911-1975) used the serpent in his scores for Journey to the Centre of the Earth, among others, and composer Jerry Goldsmith(1929-2004) used the serpent in his score for Alien. Very creepy instrument! It got it's name because - well - it sort of looks like a serpent! :D
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >