Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > are there still cd buyers out there      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 GuitarNyack
Msg: 26
are there still cd buyers out therePage 2 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Sure I'll buy a CD if I'm really into the band. In the last few years I've moved around alot so downloading to the computer was just easier. I find with alot of bands these days there are only a few good songs on a CD while the rest aren't worth listening to again, so downloading wins there too. Oh as an environmentalist or "tree-hugger" the whole packaging on new CDs, is a tad annoying.
 brivan
Msg: 27
view profile
History
are there still cd buyers out there
Posted: 1/14/2007 12:44:26 AM
i love buying music......still have my records.......just like having them and seeing the covers..i've even been guilty of buying music cause of the cd covers!!
found some really good music that way.......most covers are just boring but if thought is put in them i kinda think well maybe the music is interesting too...:)
not too into downloading.......should start though......get some good remixes that way.......
 GreatAttitude
Msg: 28
Posted: 1/14/2007 1:25:48 PM
I buy CDs but not to aid the artist go platnum. I buy them because I want to hear the whole CD, not just the single. Also, I like to have the music in my vehicle, my home or my office.
 AllieCat
Msg: 29
Posted: 1/15/2007 7:17:06 AM
I still buy cd's... and I rarely download any music because I'm on dial up. High speed internet is not available where I live. Sometimes I feel like I'm living in the stone ages! haha!

The last cd's I bought were at a second hand shop while traveling through Orange County, California. I bought Bruce Springsteen's box set "Tracks", Neil Young's new one "Prairie Wind" and Sam Roberts' "We Were Born in a Flame".

I also have a habit of buying cd's at concerts I attend... usually from the opening band.

I hate to think that cd's will disappear... but it seems to be going in that direction. :(
 punkoholic
Msg: 30
Posted: 1/15/2007 9:52:43 PM
I used to down load lots of music but then my computer when down the gutter. Then I started buying lots of cd's($100 a month on cd's) but now I don't buy as much. Most recent cd purchases were Cradle of Filth and bought +44 yesterday. I also like buying cd's at concerts because A) it's cheaper B) you can get it signed.
 slyqtpy
Msg: 31
Posted: 1/17/2007 8:32:51 AM
I still buy cd's (have bought like 6 in the past month alone!) but I do also download. I'm not at my computer for any length of time to justify having a huge music folder. I download rare and hard to find songs and remixes (like Temptation by new order, I think I only found 1 or 2 people who had it online, took me ages to download). I too, don't want to deprive artists of their bread and butter so when I find I've downloaded 3 songs by an artist, I go and buy the cd. I must agree with a previous poster and say the liner notes and the lyrics are nice to have right at hand. I like to know who the artist sends thanks out to as well. Slightly weird maybe, and maybe I'm a bit of a Luddite, well then so be it!
 Penny Lane 26
Msg: 32
Posted: 1/18/2007 3:25:26 PM
I still buy cd's, i don't agree with downloading, especially when it comes to local music.
 Sierrasman
Msg: 33
Posted: 1/18/2007 3:45:08 PM
I rarely buy CDs. I prefer listening to my vinyl record albums, including my collection of original pressing Beatles albums on the Parlophone label. I want the full dynamic range that vinyl gives you. I use a tube amplifier which really brings the music to life!

There is a commercial on TV showing two guys downloading music onto thier cell phone that just cracks me up. You can't seriously listen to music on a cell phone, but the dumb public swallows whatever dog food the media sends down the chute. People think that because something is new, that it's better, which isn't always true.

The Grammys are a joke!
 Mtn Leo
Msg: 34
Posted: 1/19/2007 8:31:09 AM

I buy CDs but not to aid the artist go platnum. I buy them because I want to hear the whole CD, not just the single.

This sounds snobbish, I know, but chances are if someone just wants the single the artist is mediocre to begin with. I won't buy the full CD for a single track, and I won't buy the single. Nothing lost, nothing gained.
 lenslover18
Msg: 35
Posted: 1/21/2007 7:16:38 PM
i cant remember the last time i bought a cd.
 myhotwheelspin
Msg: 36
Posted: 1/23/2007 1:52:59 PM
I still buy cd's as well. Still a fan of album artwork and you just dont get that with downloads off the net. Besides, all those cd's I have hide that ugly wallpaper.
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2007 9:26:25 PM
I still buy CDs. If lossless (FLAC) downloads were available for reasonable cost, I'd give it a try.
 robbyone
Msg: 38
Posted: 1/24/2007 7:44:57 AM
I will buy a CD if they are a band i am really into. I will often as well download if there is a single I like. Many bands put out a CD with one good song and I just dont see why I should spend $20 to buy it.
 Doc Sage
Msg: 39
Posted: 1/24/2007 7:49:20 AM
Yep. Still buy CD's. But if the quality of sound from an Ipob can match my high end CD player, I may look into it. Convenience sake? Why not?

Doc Sage
 white noise maker
Msg: 40
Posted: 1/25/2007 11:57:32 PM
I am a huge collector. I refuse to download music. I fear it's going to kill the industry eventually. I worry about new artists that everybody knows about but that don't move any product and for that reason aren't signed for future albums. I have a small collection of about 500 c.d.'s and if hadn't been ripped off over the years I'd probably have 1,500 to 2,000. My friends bought me an ipod shuffle for christmas and the only music that will ever go on it will come from c.d.'s that I have payed for. Music that will not be shared. Right now I've got the best of Frank Black featuring the Catholics and the best of the Pixies on my shuffle. 130 songs taken from 25 different c.d.'s. A good example of an artist who's music is worth much more than what it's sold for. As a side note ITUNES SUCKS. After owning this shuffle and having to use itunes I swear I'll never buy anything from Apple. There I said it. Perhaps we shouldn't be rockin' in a free world. Sorry Neil. Rock on c.d. buyers
 That Guy Him
Msg: 41
Posted: 1/26/2007 10:48:33 PM

I refuse to download music. I fear it's going to kill the industry eventually.

You can believe whatever you want, but copyright infringements didn't suddenly pop up with the invention of the internet. It's easier to get better quality rip offs from the internet, but illegal copying has been going on for years. People who don't want to pay for music are always going to find a way to get it for free, and they did so for years prior to mp3's and all other forms of music files.

It's fine to have your moral convictions of not downloading music because you support artists. I believe in supporting artists too. However, I do both. I have approximately 3,200 songs on the almost 400 cd's that I own... I have approximately 2,200 mp3's of songs that are not on any of those discs. Why didn't I buy the remaining discs rather than downloading the songs? Because I'm not Bill Gates where I have a bottomless pit of money to be able to just go and buy every cd that has songs on it that I like. The majority of my downloaded music is intended to just be temporary. If artists think my lack of money should disqualify me from enjoying their music in the interim, then I would like to know. I will gladly delete their music from my hard drive and save any money I had planned on wasting on their cd's and contribute those funds to a more deserving artist... when those funds become available.
 Bumblefish
Msg: 42
Posted: 1/26/2007 11:35:14 PM
I have over 1,000 cd's still buy,still buy vinyl few hundred or so of those.I do download to the mp3 player for the mtn biking much easier than the cd player.Like the download to check out new music if i like it I go buy it.
 kasbia7000
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2007 11:46:45 PM
As a musician and a songwriter i can tell you that IMHO commercial Cd's are going to disappear very soon.
For as much as this may sounds not good for the music industry, I actually think it's really good for independent artists like me. We are now able to market and sell our music over iTunes or other online sites without needing huge support from recording labels.

This is increasing the exposure of new groups and artists everyday more an more.

Also this serves as a lesson to the big labels that ignored us for the last 2 decades. They should finally realise we don't need them anymore! we can sell our music and make it public for anyone who wants to listen to/but it.

just my 2 cents
 puppet master
Msg: 44
Posted: 1/27/2007 6:05:33 AM
i download and i buy.....i think downloading has actually encouraged me to buy more now than i ever did before.

i used to get so pissed off when buying a cd...and finding only 1 or 2 good songs on it, so between that and not wanting to waste $20 bucks on something/someone i had never heard before, just in case i hated it....i tended to stick to artists that i knew, or stuff that people recommended.

now i find that i can explore so much more....artists that i'm not familiar with, genre's that i may or may not like, and when i like it i buy it.

i also use downloading for replacing stuff.....old stuff, hard to find stuff, or stuff that i've already bought on vinyl, cassette, and/or cd, and now also want on my ipod or laptop.
 CheapFatBastard
Msg: 45
Posted: 1/27/2007 6:34:51 PM
I 'm sure a similar argument was had when the Cassette Deck was introduced, allowing people to tape songs from the Radio. "Oh no!! Cassette Decks are going to Kill the Vinyl & 8-Track industry!!" The music industry found a way to survive. Cassette Decks never Killed the Vinyl industry. Cd's practically did though. CD's still seem to be holding there own. I wonder if Itunes or other Downloads will be the death of CD's or will another format emerge and replace CDs? I still like to be able to physically hold the Music I buy. It's to weird to buy a Download and not be able to touch it. I can't see Downloads replacing my CD collection.
 mini_skittles
Msg: 46
Posted: 1/28/2007 5:00:22 PM
Yes, I buy CDs all the time. I like to buy collectors CDs and the ones that are hard to find.
I also order CDs online once in awhile, from USA. I have a friend who lives in Las Vegas, he has a CD online site.

If you like rare metal music, 80s era thrash or progressive thrash, message me and I'll hook you up. That is if you like metal,

:p
 Lick it Up
Msg: 47
Posted: 1/28/2007 6:00:57 PM
I like CD's, I plug my iPod into my car, turn on a song, then quickly change to the CD player to the same song, the CD sounds 3X better...sure, you can only fit...24 songs max on a normal 80 minuet CD, but the sound quality speaks for itself...

I don't collect vinyl records, my dad does...but I don't...because you really need to have a good pair of speakers for vinyl records.

I tease him about it, pick up a record.."Hey, where in the hell did you find this giant CD?"

I kid, I kid.

FOUNDnLOST
Msg: 48
Posted: 1/28/2007 6:09:52 PM
i dont really get this whole analog vs digital debate...i know this isnt teh thread for it...i already posted my thoughts on this threard...but you realize digital music on a cd (not talking compressed mp3s) really only eliminates certain spikes along the analog spectrum. these spikes are frequencies we cant hear...as for the theraputic effects...how could it really be any different from one form to the next? that doesnt make sense...once you realize how the spectrum works and what we can actually hear...studies like that dont really make sense.
 WLDB
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2007 8:31:13 AM
I buy CDs fairly regularly. I can download them but I prefer having a hard copy of the album in my hand.

Cds probably dont have much longer left. Theyve been around about 20 years now. 8 trakcs, records, cassettes didnt last that long. I hope they dont change to only downloading though, I still want to be able to have hard copies. Computers are far too vulnerable to trust with hundreds or thousands of dollars of music.
 grungelives
Msg: 50
Posted: 1/30/2007 11:34:50 AM
I still get CD's! Black Parade by My Chemical Romance I highly recommend.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > are there still cd buyers out there