Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Sass_and_Class
Msg: 78
view profile
History
are there still cd buyers out therePage 2 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
I almost always purchase CDs, as I like to support rising artists. There is a great amount of passion, dedication, and focus that goes into making excellent music and that alone does not make a successful musical career. Thus, financially supporting musicians through product and ticket sales is vital to all professional musicians.
 MX220
Msg: 79
are there still cd buyers out there
Posted: 4/25/2007 4:23:56 PM
I do not own an Ipod so yes I still purchase cd's. I even still use cassette tapes. I don't like bringing my cd's out to my car so I back them up on cassettes and leave them in the car. I also have some old vinyls and a turntable in the closet

How badly have cd sales suffered since the downloading trend began? I think many who download will still buy the cd they like because they'll want the orgional copy. Have cd sales dropped signifigantly since sites like Napster came about?

Remember the old days when you got that new record and couldn't wait to get home and see the pictures on the sleeve? Maybe tape it to the wall of your bedroom?
 techgirl27
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 4/26/2007 8:15:37 PM
I just got 3 in the mail today I bought from amazon.

Downloading is OK to get a general idea if you like the song or artist, or a temporary measure til you can get the album. But the quality is often crap! Not to mention the artist is attributed wrong half the time.

I have bought more CD's in the last 10 weeks than I have in the last 10 years. The ones I got today are Alan Jackson, George Strait, and Boston. Three folks I probably never would have even thought of buying 5 years ago. With the possible exception of AJ. I have loved his stuff since he got best newcomer at the CMA's in the early 90's and have wanted to get one of his disks for a while.
 CrystallineSunshine
Msg: 81
Posted: 4/27/2007 2:47:47 PM
These days I NEED to 'hear before I buy' ... I really do. I'm sorry but CDs are NOT CHEAP, and I like too many kinds of music to just buy everything everyone puts out. I have so many CDS with one good song on them... just collecting dust now.

So ... I listen if I have the option. And if I like what I hear, I purchase a CD or the songs on iTunes. But to be honest, if I love an album, I WILL purchase the actual CD cause I like to have the whole thing... the art, the notes, etc.

CrystallineSunshine
Msg: 84
Posted: 4/29/2007 10:07:47 AM
MP3's are 'lame' ??

Oooooooooookay.

I LOVE my iPod. I like it better than CDS. I can load 60 gigs of music on to it, and plug it into the iMotion system I take to the studio with me, and, VOILA!! A whole sound system ... plus 60 gigs of music.

Not to mention the sound is EXCELLENT.

I HATED dragging CDS around. Can you imagine dragging 60 gigs worth around? Haha!! No thanks!!!! :)

simply_peachy
Msg: 87
Posted: 5/2/2007 5:01:32 PM
I download songs that I like. For instance, if they're hard to get on cd or I only like one or two songs by the artist, but I'm definitely a cd junkie. I had about 35 when I started University 4 years ago, and I'm up to 250+ in only 4 years....so I'm defintely a junkie. There's just something about having the actual cd, free from faults and with the cd sleeves and what not. Plus, I'm not against supporting the music industry (even if they are pretty much grossly overpaid in most cases.)
 simply_peachy
Msg: 88
Posted: 5/2/2007 5:04:12 PM
I'd also like to add that I'm still using the stone-aged technology of the discman, so having cd's is a good thing for me. I don't feel that I have much use for an ipod, even though my parents have offered to buy me one for many a birthday/Christmas gift; whatever I happen to download I just burn to a cd!
 starrow
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2007 2:23:18 AM
I've not bought a cassette or CD for a long time.
Because I always liston to music beside a computer and so from a computer.
I even seldom download music for I can enjoy much of them online.
That's the reality in China.
Sadly to you guys:(.
 Beholder
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2007 3:16:51 PM
I'm definitely still buying CDs also - I do use the iTMS sometimes, usually just to buy the occasional single obscure track - but I really like getting something tangible for my money. I've always been the "download the album first, if it's good then go out and buy it" guy - which I especially like when the disc is hard to come by, and needs to be direct ordered from Japan, or waiting until I take a trip somewhere where I can get a copy, etc.

The problem with CDs however, is that the boxes really suck. It's a standard worked out in the 80s, and it really needs a makeover - the boxes are brittle, too large, and too heavy (packing up boxes of CDs when you're moving is such a pain).

Ideally, I'd love to see CDs just move over to the thinpak-style DVD case (except shortened to the same height the current ones are). The problem with that (other than the fact it'll never happen), is that unlike moving DVDs from the standard size boxes in to the thin ones, you couldn't directly convert your existing collection. (Because of course the front artwork is the booklet, which is thick, and the back panel only works when it sits so the edges meet, etc).

If the industry would switch over to a thin flexible case with a wraparound image and the booklet inside, it would be such an improvement. Of course they're probably more concerned about being able to sell CDs period, without having to increase manufacturing costs by changing something so basic, but... I can dream, right?
 Thatguy67
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2008 7:15:31 PM
I still buy cds but not very often.

Bry-Fidelity
Msg: 101
Posted: 12/12/2008 9:30:20 PM
I have more c.d.s than I can count. I just love music and believe there is no love without investment. If you like a band then whether or not they continue depends on how actively their fan base supports them. It's like if you don't vote for Presidents then you are told not to complain. Same thing for a band in my opinion. If you don't put your money into their music then you can't complain that they became a one hit wonder, lost their record deal or that your genre of music doesn't get enough attention. Even though the music industry collects a lot of c.d. sales the band still needs sales to prove to the label they are relevant. It's a business but it's a business determined by fan investment. I do own an Ipod and love it for road trips and convenience in general. I can honestly say over 95% of the 18,452 songs on there are from my own c.d.s and the rest is stuff I bought on Itunes because it was exclusively digital. I am a musical enthusiast as the OP was asking for and it seems like a dying breed.
 yeahwhatok33
Msg: 107
Posted: 1/5/2009 8:36:44 PM
I usually download and then if I like it I'll buy it. I have a few artists who I buy whenever they release something new but that's a list of about 5. The problem is that you hear a good song and then once you hear the whole thing the rest is garbage. Most of the CDs that I have bought in the last couple of years were by people who I never heard on the radio. I came across a download and loved the music from beginning to end.
And I can't buy whole CDs off of ITunes either. I want the packaging, the artwork, the list of producers and writers, etc.
 MoFuzz
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2009 11:00:29 PM
I will always buy CD's by my top five favorite artists just to support them. For everything else, I buy my music digitally.
 SuperFunGuy
Msg: 114
Posted: 3/22/2009 6:18:03 PM
Depends on the cd. Mostly I will have music on my ipod that I have burnt onto disc or loaded to my ipod. If its a box set, better to buy. I like the boollets that come with most cd's.
 Metal_Mayhem
Msg: 117
Posted: 3/23/2009 10:11:17 AM
I usually only buy cd's if it's of one of my all-time favorite bands. Example...when Metallica's Death Magnetic came out, I bought it! Anything else unless I usually download.
 trivv
Msg: 122
Posted: 3/27/2009 5:03:52 AM
I still buy the odd CD from the used hand me down CD stores, I don’t really like paying full price for CD but if I really like the band, I'll support them and buy their CD.

I miss Cassette tapes; those could take a good bit of abuse and still work. I find CD are too sensitive and don’t play well after a few dings and scratches
 yooperbrat03
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2009 2:55:59 PM
Honestly, in the last five years I think I've bought maybe three or four CD's. Granted in the next few months I'm waitin for one artist to release his second CD which I will without a DOUBT be buyin a couple of...lol... (GO Chris Young!!!)

Like someone said I do miss the cover art from the old vinyls. Some of those were pretty wild and artistic....
 music_fan
Msg: 127
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2009 1:25:28 AM
I'm a big CD buyer, I still buy CD's. Have a music collection with almost 200+ CD's.

Most of my CD's are bought used from a store called Young Ones in Kutztown, PA and I also buy used online from Amazon.com.

I was in New Jersey with family on Saturday and we went to some yard sales, I got an alannah miles CD for about $2 and a Paula Abdul CD for $1.
 Brutus-HFX
Msg: 135
Posted: 5/26/2009 3:06:07 PM
What about vinyl? Anyone here rummage through a stingy old shop every weekend looking for a hidden treasure? Or ya know.... browsing ebay for hours to find rare original pressings of things.... or spending half your pay cheque on a dying media format?.... anyone ....
 RaiinQuintessa
Msg: 136
Posted: 5/26/2009 7:45:34 PM
So orginally I just downloaded everything and just recently I started buying Cd's again and also getting my friends to buy em again. Since with CD's you get other extra little things that you don't get with downloading. Plus u get an awsome CDcase and pictures of the artist
 50bmg
Msg: 137
Posted: 5/29/2009 4:29:53 PM
yeah cd sales have been in the tank for many bands, but my band Ammo Blast and a couple others have been doing great with itunes and amazon mp3. you get that world wide sale at a great cost.

yes ammo blast is on myspace.
 MissaInVA
Msg: 138
Posted: 5/30/2009 2:33:46 PM
I had to buy AC/DC's most recent CD beause they refuse to licnce to Itunes/Amazon/Napster/etc. So, I ripped it, and put the disk away.....
 holeinthewall
Msg: 143
Posted: 6/7/2009 12:36:29 AM
im an on and off drummer so i guess you could call me a musician, i would never download music because i think its taking away from the long hours that the artist put in, time away from his family and friends so he could make music for us to enjoy our day more; plus the album info comes in handy when i wanna learn more about them too
 tinguy66
Msg: 144
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2009 4:02:36 PM
i prefer to buy cds to kind of see what the band/artist created.
i wold only download music free is to listen to bands to see what i like then buy them later.

i did my first buy on itunes last week from the thick of it
 astock
Msg: 146
Posted: 7/1/2009 7:59:21 PM
do blank cd's count? i usually only buy them when i need a hard to find song for a wedding reception. other than that i have enough DJ friends that i can get absolutely anything i want
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >