Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > are there still cd buyers out there      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Mtn Leo
Msg: 26
are there still cd buyers out therePage 2 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
wildgreenwitch wrote:

its all about the art work rather than the packaging for me

I'm with you and others on this one. Security tape is annoying. I am a tactile individual, so it is a small pleasure to go through a unique presentation, and read up on who was involved with the project. One of my favorite past discoveries: Radiohead's Amnesiac - There is a small, art booklet sandwiched between the CD compartment and the case. Ironically I had been checking this area with some favorite artists for unknown print material for awhile, and was pleased to discover Thom Yorke thought of this.

Other CDs worth noting:

Tool: 10,000 Days - Awesome in its presentation and musical expression.
Beck: The Information - A DIY CD Jacket with stickers! Why hasn't this been thought of before?

I have to admit there is a downside for CDs. Dust. Jewel cases not only take up excessive space, but they collect dust, so I usually remove all the contents, and put the cases aside or give them away. I keep my favorite CDs and jackets in portable cases. 10,000 Days and the like are small works of art, which go on the bookself.

JonathanUnruh
Msg: 27
are there still cd buyers out there
Posted: 1/11/2007 12:31:28 PM
Yup I still buy CD's... I raely actually download tracks.. I think I have three downloaded tracks and somewhere around 400 cd's...

I have downloaded the odd song to see if I liked the sound... if I didn't like it, it get's erased, if I liked it, I buy the CD

Trewq36:
...Not All the Sounds are there...

that really depends on how it was recorded. if it was recorded for cd format, then any "extra" sound you get on an LP is because you probably didn't clean all the dust off your record or needle :)

The CD really is theoretically the replacement for the LP...
Artists used to have alot of fun with their recod jackets -> this was lost for people who bought 8-tracks or cassettes (because they didn't get the full packaging).

Since most North American groups have released their albums as (in concept) a CD, any newer release on LP has been somewhat of an afterthought.
The only artist from the last decade that I can think of who has attempted to release their album as an LP (because they wanted it as an LP versus a CD) was Nine Inch Nails... I believe that 'the fragile' and 'things falling apart' were intended to be an LP release, and as a result the LP was a differnt mix and/or arrangement... for me to find a chain store that has new LP's in stock, is a complete oddity.

The Shoulder:
I will buy ... blue moon

yup, it's a misquote.. but it reminded me of a great label... that unfortunatly I can't find locally anymore. :(

On a related note, my pet peeve is some of the "anti-piracy" software on new CD's these days... some of them don't let me copy the music to my own computer... I mean I paid for the music, why can't I enjoy it??
The record lables really have always looked for a scape-gaot for "illegal music" - right now it's downloads via some online source...
If I notice that an older album that I want to buy is only available with the anti-piracy software, I'll wait till I can find it in a used CD shop (eg; olderversion w/o the software embedded) - so in the end, the record label is loosing my business by installing that software.
 Trewq36
Msg: 28
Posted: 1/12/2007 7:03:50 AM
Ah Not True there JonathanUnruh. Digital music is a series of Nana second sized chucks of sound. We are not conscientiously aware of these tiny gaps. But unconscientionsly we are. Analog is a steady stream of sounds.
That is what I mean by all the sound. Not the dust on my needle.
How about a source with some authority:

(Neil) Young has steadfastly refused to release some of his earlier albums on CD - "I'd rather burn the tapes," he says, lest the warm "clarity of analog be blurred by the averaging nature of digital............

..........Preserving his legacy is a priority, yet Young finds the mechanics frustrating and unsatisfying. The problem, he says, rests in the music industry's self-destructive decision to switch from vinyl platters to compact discs.

Young dismisses music's creative and commercial slumps as mere byproducts of vinyl's extinction. He insists labels sold out quality 20 years ago and short-changed fans by pushing an inferior delivery system, the CD, into the marketplace.

"The videos that came along at the same time distracted us from the fact that music was literally losing its depth," Young argues. "A CD is a reconstruction of the sound. It's not even a clone. It's more like a toy or a robot, just a string of ones and zeros, whereas analog recording is a true reflection, like a pool or a mirror. Imagine telling Picasso, 'That's a nice painting; now we're going to fax it to the public.' There's no doubt in my mind that this is why the industry is failing."

There are also Medical Studies done on the therapeutic effects of Music, Digital does not have the same effect as Analog.
 CheapFatBastard
Msg: 29
Posted: 1/12/2007 9:12:57 AM
I love Vinyl, but it's so BIG! You can't listen to it in your Car, you can't listen to it at work. If my CD collection was converted into Vinyl it'd fill my house
CD's are so easy to handle, At the touch of a button you can instantly start on any song you want (without having to count Grooves). They need a CD/Vinyl Hybrid. Hopefully one day they'll be able to recreate an Synthetic Analog signal on digital equipment.
One Canadian Artist called C'mon Released their 1st Album on Vinyl a few years ago. Every album came with a "free" cd of the album. I definately can notice a Much Bigger sound on Vinyl. But I still listen to the CD more just because of the convienience factor.
 GuitarNyack
Msg: 30
Posted: 1/13/2007 5:59:29 PM
Sure I'll buy a CD if I'm really into the band. In the last few years I've moved around alot so downloading to the computer was just easier. I find with alot of bands these days there are only a few good songs on a CD while the rest aren't worth listening to again, so downloading wins there too. Oh as an environmentalist or "tree-hugger" the whole packaging on new CDs, is a tad annoying.
 brivan
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2007 12:44:26 AM
i love buying music......still have my records.......just like having them and seeing the covers..i've even been guilty of buying music cause of the cd covers!!
found some really good music that way.......most covers are just boring but if thought is put in them i kinda think well maybe the music is interesting too...:)
not too into downloading.......should start though......get some good remixes that way.......
 GreatAttitude
Msg: 32
Posted: 1/14/2007 1:25:48 PM
I buy CDs but not to aid the artist go platnum. I buy them because I want to hear the whole CD, not just the single. Also, I like to have the music in my vehicle, my home or my office.
 AllieCat
Msg: 33
Posted: 1/15/2007 7:17:06 AM
I still buy cd's... and I rarely download any music because I'm on dial up. High speed internet is not available where I live. Sometimes I feel like I'm living in the stone ages! haha!

The last cd's I bought were at a second hand shop while traveling through Orange County, California. I bought Bruce Springsteen's box set "Tracks", Neil Young's new one "Prairie Wind" and Sam Roberts' "We Were Born in a Flame".

I also have a habit of buying cd's at concerts I attend... usually from the opening band.

I hate to think that cd's will disappear... but it seems to be going in that direction. :(
 punkoholic
Msg: 34
Posted: 1/15/2007 9:52:43 PM
I used to down load lots of music but then my computer when down the gutter. Then I started buying lots of cd's($100 a month on cd's) but now I don't buy as much. Most recent cd purchases were Cradle of Filth and bought +44 yesterday. I also like buying cd's at concerts because A) it's cheaper B) you can get it signed.
 xxMistyxx
Msg: 35
Posted: 1/16/2007 7:49:40 AM
I have never,downloaded music from anywhere on the net.

I have been to concerts and the price of the artists cd on sale at venue has increased by sometimes, as much, as £6 so I do not buy them there.

There are a few sites that sell new cds really cheap on the net but I still usually purchase mine from local retailers.
 slyqtpy
Msg: 36
Posted: 1/17/2007 8:32:51 AM
I still buy cd's (have bought like 6 in the past month alone!) but I do also download. I'm not at my computer for any length of time to justify having a huge music folder. I download rare and hard to find songs and remixes (like Temptation by new order, I think I only found 1 or 2 people who had it online, took me ages to download). I too, don't want to deprive artists of their bread and butter so when I find I've downloaded 3 songs by an artist, I go and buy the cd. I must agree with a previous poster and say the liner notes and the lyrics are nice to have right at hand. I like to know who the artist sends thanks out to as well. Slightly weird maybe, and maybe I'm a bit of a Luddite, well then so be it!
 Penny Lane 26
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/18/2007 3:25:26 PM
I still buy cd's, i don't agree with downloading, especially when it comes to local music.
 Sierrasman
Msg: 38
Posted: 1/18/2007 3:45:08 PM
I rarely buy CDs. I prefer listening to my vinyl record albums, including my collection of original pressing Beatles albums on the Parlophone label. I want the full dynamic range that vinyl gives you. I use a tube amplifier which really brings the music to life!

There is a commercial on TV showing two guys downloading music onto thier cell phone that just cracks me up. You can't seriously listen to music on a cell phone, but the dumb public swallows whatever dog food the media sends down the chute. People think that because something is new, that it's better, which isn't always true.

The Grammys are a joke!
 Mtn Leo
Msg: 39
Posted: 1/19/2007 8:31:09 AM

I buy CDs but not to aid the artist go platnum. I buy them because I want to hear the whole CD, not just the single.

This sounds snobbish, I know, but chances are if someone just wants the single the artist is mediocre to begin with. I won't buy the full CD for a single track, and I won't buy the single. Nothing lost, nothing gained.
 lenslover18
Msg: 40
Posted: 1/21/2007 7:16:38 PM
i cant remember the last time i bought a cd.
 myhotwheelspin
Msg: 41
Posted: 1/23/2007 1:52:59 PM
I still buy cd's as well. Still a fan of album artwork and you just dont get that with downloads off the net. Besides, all those cd's I have hide that ugly wallpaper.
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2007 9:26:25 PM
I still buy CDs. If lossless (FLAC) downloads were available for reasonable cost, I'd give it a try.
 robbyone
Msg: 43
Posted: 1/24/2007 7:44:57 AM
I will buy a CD if they are a band i am really into. I will often as well download if there is a single I like. Many bands put out a CD with one good song and I just dont see why I should spend $20 to buy it.
 Doc Sage
Msg: 44
Posted: 1/24/2007 7:49:20 AM
Yep. Still buy CD's. But if the quality of sound from an Ipob can match my high end CD player, I may look into it. Convenience sake? Why not?

Doc Sage
 white noise maker
Msg: 45
Posted: 1/25/2007 11:57:32 PM
I am a huge collector. I refuse to download music. I fear it's going to kill the industry eventually. I worry about new artists that everybody knows about but that don't move any product and for that reason aren't signed for future albums. I have a small collection of about 500 c.d.'s and if hadn't been ripped off over the years I'd probably have 1,500 to 2,000. My friends bought me an ipod shuffle for christmas and the only music that will ever go on it will come from c.d.'s that I have payed for. Music that will not be shared. Right now I've got the best of Frank Black featuring the Catholics and the best of the Pixies on my shuffle. 130 songs taken from 25 different c.d.'s. A good example of an artist who's music is worth much more than what it's sold for. As a side note ITUNES SUCKS. After owning this shuffle and having to use itunes I swear I'll never buy anything from Apple. There I said it. Perhaps we shouldn't be rockin' in a free world. Sorry Neil. Rock on c.d. buyers
 That Guy Him
Msg: 46
Posted: 1/26/2007 10:48:33 PM

I refuse to download music. I fear it's going to kill the industry eventually.

You can believe whatever you want, but copyright infringements didn't suddenly pop up with the invention of the internet. It's easier to get better quality rip offs from the internet, but illegal copying has been going on for years. People who don't want to pay for music are always going to find a way to get it for free, and they did so for years prior to mp3's and all other forms of music files.

It's fine to have your moral convictions of not downloading music because you support artists. I believe in supporting artists too. However, I do both. I have approximately 3,200 songs on the almost 400 cd's that I own... I have approximately 2,200 mp3's of songs that are not on any of those discs. Why didn't I buy the remaining discs rather than downloading the songs? Because I'm not Bill Gates where I have a bottomless pit of money to be able to just go and buy every cd that has songs on it that I like. The majority of my downloaded music is intended to just be temporary. If artists think my lack of money should disqualify me from enjoying their music in the interim, then I would like to know. I will gladly delete their music from my hard drive and save any money I had planned on wasting on their cd's and contribute those funds to a more deserving artist... when those funds become available.
 Bumblefish
Msg: 47
Posted: 1/26/2007 11:35:14 PM
I have over 1,000 cd's still buy,still buy vinyl few hundred or so of those.I do download to the mp3 player for the mtn biking much easier than the cd player.Like the download to check out new music if i like it I go buy it.
 kasbia7000
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2007 11:46:45 PM
As a musician and a songwriter i can tell you that IMHO commercial Cd's are going to disappear very soon.
For as much as this may sounds not good for the music industry, I actually think it's really good for independent artists like me. We are now able to market and sell our music over iTunes or other online sites without needing huge support from recording labels.

This is increasing the exposure of new groups and artists everyday more an more.

Also this serves as a lesson to the big labels that ignored us for the last 2 decades. They should finally realise we don't need them anymore! we can sell our music and make it public for anyone who wants to listen to/but it.

just my 2 cents
 puppet master
Msg: 49
Posted: 1/27/2007 6:05:33 AM
i download and i buy.....i think downloading has actually encouraged me to buy more now than i ever did before.

i used to get so pissed off when buying a cd...and finding only 1 or 2 good songs on it, so between that and not wanting to waste $20 bucks on something/someone i had never heard before, just in case i hated it....i tended to stick to artists that i knew, or stuff that people recommended.

now i find that i can explore so much more....artists that i'm not familiar with, genre's that i may or may not like, and when i like it i buy it.

i also use downloading for replacing stuff.....old stuff, hard to find stuff, or stuff that i've already bought on vinyl, cassette, and/or cd, and now also want on my ipod or laptop.
 CheapFatBastard
Msg: 50
Posted: 1/27/2007 6:34:51 PM
I 'm sure a similar argument was had when the Cassette Deck was introduced, allowing people to tape songs from the Radio. "Oh no!! Cassette Decks are going to Kill the Vinyl & 8-Track industry!!" The music industry found a way to survive. Cassette Decks never Killed the Vinyl industry. Cd's practically did though. CD's still seem to be holding there own. I wonder if Itunes or other Downloads will be the death of CD's or will another format emerge and replace CDs? I still like to be able to physically hold the Music I buy. It's to weird to buy a Download and not be able to touch it. I can't see Downloads replacing my CD collection.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > are there still cd buyers out there