Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > are there still cd buyers out there      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mini_skittles
Msg: 51
are there still cd buyers out therePage 3 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Yes, I buy CDs all the time. I like to buy collectors CDs and the ones that are hard to find.
I also order CDs online once in awhile, from USA. I have a friend who lives in Las Vegas, he has a CD online site.

If you like rare metal music, 80s era thrash or progressive thrash, message me and I'll hook you up. That is if you like metal,

:p
 Lick it Up
Msg: 52
are there still cd buyers out there
Posted: 1/28/2007 6:00:57 PM
I like CD's, I plug my iPod into my car, turn on a song, then quickly change to the CD player to the same song, the CD sounds 3X better...sure, you can only fit...24 songs max on a normal 80 minuet CD, but the sound quality speaks for itself...

I don't collect vinyl records, my dad does...but I don't...because you really need to have a good pair of speakers for vinyl records.

I tease him about it, pick up a record.."Hey, where in the hell did you find this giant CD?"

I kid, I kid.

FOUNDnLOST
Msg: 53
Posted: 1/28/2007 6:09:52 PM
i dont really get this whole analog vs digital debate...i know this isnt teh thread for it...i already posted my thoughts on this threard...but you realize digital music on a cd (not talking compressed mp3s) really only eliminates certain spikes along the analog spectrum. these spikes are frequencies we cant hear...as for the theraputic effects...how could it really be any different from one form to the next? that doesnt make sense...once you realize how the spectrum works and what we can actually hear...studies like that dont really make sense.
 WLDB
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2007 8:31:13 AM
I buy CDs fairly regularly. I can download them but I prefer having a hard copy of the album in my hand.

Cds probably dont have much longer left. Theyve been around about 20 years now. 8 trakcs, records, cassettes didnt last that long. I hope they dont change to only downloading though, I still want to be able to have hard copies. Computers are far too vulnerable to trust with hundreds or thousands of dollars of music.
 grungelives
Msg: 55
Posted: 1/30/2007 11:34:50 AM
I still get CD's! Black Parade by My Chemical Romance I highly recommend.
 lephermessiah
Msg: 56
Posted: 1/30/2007 1:00:07 PM
I buy CD's, because most mp3's have crappy quality compared to the actual CD.
 Melusine
Msg: 57
Posted: 1/30/2007 1:17:31 PM
Yep....I love CD's....I don't have an mp3 player or an ipod. I don't "steal" music from the net to burn onto my own cd's....I am totally "old school" when it comes to music. Well, not my taste in music...but, the fact that yes, I still spend the cold hard cash to own it....
 iluvsalad
Msg: 58
Posted: 1/30/2007 11:09:39 PM
~OH YES! in fact, the last cd i bought was alanis morissette's jagged little pill (acoustic version) only because i wore it out twice...i haven't the heart to download THAT...not a big downloader at all. if i need to check out a song, AOL or musiclaunch is my domain...but then again, i have friends who will send me songs to listen to that they have downloaded...~
 jakethesuperhero
Msg: 59
Posted: 1/31/2007 4:58:21 AM
Im a traveller and have to be selective of what i carry, i started out with CD's but as with lots of other stuff, went missing while staying in different BackPackers.
So after many thousands of dollars and years of suppling my family and friends with CD's, i learnt about downloading, my music collection is getting bigger everyday.
 Atlas1974
Msg: 60
Posted: 2/2/2007 11:35:25 PM
I buy CD's but I never buy mp3's they are always full of copyright crap and you can't copy the file to more than a couple computers or devices in a lot of cases... or if you want to, you have to make sure to copy the big brother file to go with it so they can watch over you.... If I download.. it is always the free p2p method where someone ripped it from a cd/dvd... Most times I download mp3's as a sample... ... if it is crap or from the less tallented "artists" who put 1 good song on the cd and fill the rest with crap.. there is no problem I don't throw away $15.. now if it is good stuff or I really like the artist.. I'll buy the CD

Overall though, I prefer super high quality sound, it is hard to get that from mp3s.. so I buy the DVD audio or the other high quality format disks.. it's not really worth it on a cheap system, it is better but not worth paying twice the price of a regular CD... but I invested in an expensive stereo system and quality speakers so there is a huge difference when I compared an Audio DVD running 7.1 surround to a regular CD
 Random Entry
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2007 11:11:12 AM

Theyve been around about 20 years now. 8 trakcs, records, cassettes didnt last that long. I hope they dont change to only downloading though, I still want to be able to have hard copies. Computers are far too vulnerable to trust with hundreds or thousands of dollars of music.

Exactly!

I still buy CDs. DVD 5.1 sound is nice but I wish more discs had music only playing modes. I will not buy mp3s because of the low quality. What a ripoff. TEchnology is supposed to get better not worse.
 Lick it Up
Msg: 62
Posted: 2/3/2007 2:32:11 PM

If I download.. it is always the free p2p method where someone ripped it from a cd/dvd...

That's still illegal...technically anyways...

Atlas1974
Msg: 63
Posted: 2/3/2007 3:24:05 PM
not for me, I live in canada, so as long as I am not making the copy and selling it or sharing it out, there is no problem... I guess for the person sharing the file it could be...

but if the industry wanted people to buy the music, they should leave it as just the music and not have it full of the tracking crap to make sure you don't copy it to more than 1 pc.. not to mention the songs are close to $1 each which is more expensive than buying the damn cd anyway.

sure they say you can rip it to a disk using the pc which holds the lisence, but then you lose quality and have to go through the trouble... not to mention have to waste a cd for something you are going to turn around and put back as an mp3... it's stupid.... I'll stick to the free and clear of crap downloads and buy cd/dvd for the stuff I like and delete the mp3s I don't care for

I often reinstall windows on my pc so I've reached my limit on some of those stupid copyright songs I bought... I just downloaded one from some torrent and haven't had to worry since... I bought it and should be able to do whatever I want with it.

<div class="quote">

Posted By: Lick it Up on 2/3/2007 311 PM
Subject: are there still cd buyers out there
If I download.. it is always the free p2p method where someone ripped it from a cd/dvd...

That's still illegal...technically anyways...
 zeesmuse
Msg: 64
Posted: 2/3/2007 8:10:45 PM
I don't have an ipod or an mp3 player. I got a CD player a few years back, and I pulled it out of the dumptster! (It still worked!) I still my albums... hundreds of them, as well as several hundred cassettes. I go to Goodwill and garage sales and buy buy buy those things for next to nothing!

And yeah, I'm a music teacher and I use them all!!!!

Zee

ReloadZ
Msg: 65
Posted: 2/4/2007 2:56:09 PM
Always buy cds
 djnick
Msg: 66
Posted: 2/17/2007 12:24:20 PM
I still buy them... just not as much as I used to. I find the quality of the albums have been lacking.

Plus with my background in concert sound, the audio quality is priority.
 renecan
Msg: 67
Posted: 2/20/2007 8:47:38 PM
I always download, listen many times, and if it doesn't get old I buy the CD for my car. Only the best albums deserve my money :)
Msg: 68
Posted: 2/20/2007 10:23:17 PM
i'm a music junkie. if the album is real good, i will buy the cd to add to my collection, other than that, i'm gonna download it free or i'll even pay for it on itunes...i don't care. most of my cd's that i buy are imports, which i like to collect.
 flame_tiger86
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2007 10:27:13 PM
I still buy CD's from time to time, the CD I bought was Yellowcard's latest album. In a way I like to think of my downloading as a sort of "preview." If I only end up liking only one song by a band/artist then I probably won't get their CD but if I find I'm liking several of their songs I usually will go out and buy their album. Does that make me a bit of a cheapo?
 Blossom65
Msg: 70
Posted: 2/24/2007 3:53:37 PM
I still buy cd's loads of them, but almost ALWAYS used!! Ditto for DVD's as well... However, even tho I do buy them, I must admit my downloaded tunes collection is quite extensive!
 speller1
Msg: 71
Posted: 2/24/2007 8:12:59 PM
so right u i buy cds some of the sounds are'nt as good as the record r tape but i still buy them there r still alot of cds not on-line plus am a big fan of jazz & europe bands & indie bands
amazon.com have many of cds that i could'nt find on-line

so cds i do collect
 bobalouie
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2007 3:20:20 AM
I only buy CD's, don't download em unless I buy em first. Have a collection of cassettes and (gasp) vinyl too. Damn! I'm old!
 greyhnd
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2007 10:50:03 AM
I still buy cd's as well. About the only time I download anything is if I want something that was on vinyl only and can't be found any other way and someone has ripped it.

I usually rip my cd's to my PC. I don't use mp3 unless it's at 320kbps or VBR and I use LAME. Otherwise I rip with FLAC.
 blondago56
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2007 3:13:38 PM
"are there still CD buyers out there"?!? haha~snork-snork~giggle i am so very PROUD of the CD's that i have work hard to buy (after housepayment/car pymt/inusrance/bills/etc/etc) i have two big cases that i really need to insure...(i hope they are if they're in my vehicle ..) i dont download, my sons do..Geez.... i'd still have ALL MY ALBUMS FROM THE '70's & '80's if they werent lost/destroyed when my marriage ended and the house was lost...*sigh* and i *gasp* had 8 tracks!!!!!!!! (i still have the box of cassettes i had for my honda Civic! Hugs to all
 AeWingnut
Msg: 75
Posted: 2/26/2007 7:10:46 PM
I am up around 1,000 CDs. I also have DVD-A and SACD. Seems like I keep buying the same music over and over again as they continue to re-master and re-package it.

example: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of The Moon. I bought the LP twice then bought the CD.
Then Mobile Fidelity released it on gold CD. Then it was released on SACD. I bought a universal player just so I could hear it in 5.1 surround. The DSD mastering makes the noise floor very very quiet. I enjoy it alot.

I've had a few CDs just up and quit on me. Different genres, labels and years of production. I always take care of them. they are either in my player or in the case. Never left out. I've picked up CDs laying in the street and they will stil play. These don't have a mark on 'em. it's like the plasic lost it's seal and the aluminum oxidized and kaput.

I'm terrified that some of the out of print impossible to replace CDs I have will do that someday.

I kinda want to leave my collection on loan to a library in my will but I've seen what they do to them. They are scratched up beyond belief and they probably would sell them.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > are there still cd buyers out there