Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CrystallineSunshine
Msg: 81
are there still cd buyers out therePage 4 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
These days I NEED to 'hear before I buy' ... I really do. I'm sorry but CDs are NOT CHEAP, and I like too many kinds of music to just buy everything everyone puts out. I have so many CDS with one good song on them... just collecting dust now.

So ... I listen if I have the option. And if I like what I hear, I purchase a CD or the songs on iTunes. But to be honest, if I love an album, I WILL purchase the actual CD cause I like to have the whole thing... the art, the notes, etc.

BigSCTVfan
Msg: 82
are there still cd buyers out there
Posted: 4/27/2007 6:10:36 PM
I will continue to buy CDs as long as they keep making them. Mp3s are so lame, because they're intangible.
 Mr. Matt
Msg: 83
Posted: 4/29/2007 9:16:59 AM
I find all my new music by downloading... but I think that a lot of artists that I listen to aren't very well known, and could probably use the extra money of me buying their CD, so if I download it and I actually like it, I'll go out and buy the CD (if I can find it).
 CrystallineSunshine
Msg: 84
Posted: 4/29/2007 10:07:47 AM
MP3's are 'lame' ??

Oooooooooookay.

I LOVE my iPod. I like it better than CDS. I can load 60 gigs of music on to it, and plug it into the iMotion system I take to the studio with me, and, VOILA!! A whole sound system ... plus 60 gigs of music.

Not to mention the sound is EXCELLENT.

I HATED dragging CDS around. Can you imagine dragging 60 gigs worth around? Haha!! No thanks!!!! :)

Stargaze71
Msg: 85
Posted: 4/30/2007 10:49:01 AM
I still buy CDs if I think they're *worth* buying - what that means for me is mainly I'm not going to go out and blow $14+ for a CD if there's only one good song on the thing! (which seems to be the case more and more with popular bands).
So, my CD purchases tend to be from smaller, less-known bands.
 Wolf Spirit
Msg: 86
Posted: 5/1/2007 3:04:21 PM
Hey czechers,just to let you know,that I am a big music collector of countryto hard
rock,all on vinyl records,I have close to 2000and all of them are in good condition.I beleive they sound better.I record what I want onto cassettes,[about 1200,all verieties]then I put them back in a air tight zip lock bag and put them back away.I do buy cds from time to time.I also have some vinyls that are worth a lot of money,32 to be exact.
heres a clip out of song that fits for any music lover who either plays in a band or writes lyrics.
"music obsorbs us with a delicate thought.It is how poetry has indefinite sensations,
to which end,music is an essential since the comprehension of sweet sound is our most indifefinite conseption.
Music, when combined with a pleasurable Idea is poetry
Music without the Idea is simply Music
Without Music or an intriquing idea,music would not be where it is today."
I love my music and I LOVE TO PLAY DRUMS.so without poetry there would be no music.take care music lovers everywhere.enjoy it!
 simply_peachy
Msg: 87
Posted: 5/2/2007 5:01:32 PM
I download songs that I like. For instance, if they're hard to get on cd or I only like one or two songs by the artist, but I'm definitely a cd junkie. I had about 35 when I started University 4 years ago, and I'm up to 250+ in only 4 years....so I'm defintely a junkie. There's just something about having the actual cd, free from faults and with the cd sleeves and what not. Plus, I'm not against supporting the music industry (even if they are pretty much grossly overpaid in most cases.)
 simply_peachy
Msg: 88
Posted: 5/2/2007 5:04:12 PM
I'd also like to add that I'm still using the stone-aged technology of the discman, so having cd's is a good thing for me. I don't feel that I have much use for an ipod, even though my parents have offered to buy me one for many a birthday/Christmas gift; whatever I happen to download I just burn to a cd!
Msg: 89
Posted: 5/2/2007 8:59:23 PM
I'd buy more cds, but stores here don't carry many of the bands I listen to, which include Stormwitch, Within Temptation, After Forever, Epica, and Lullacry. I've had to go online to Amazon to find some of these, but I'd definately prefer shopping at a local store. Nothing like paying for something and listening to it within 10 minutes, rather than the days or weeks for it to come. Regarding legitimate digital downloads, I don't value an mp3 file anywhere near a physical disc.

And don't believe what the RIAA says about P2P downloading. The problem is the RIAA and the method they use to determine record sales. Here's how the RIAA counts their sales. The RIAA counts a sale as a disc that they ship from their warehouse. It is irrellevant if that disc ever gets sold to a consumer. Years ago, before the easy access to music over the internet, shops would order a stock of discs of a new release that would last them say 9-12 months or longer, and not have to worry about reordering a particular release. Nowadays with consumers more informed about music and unwilling to buy a $20 cd for one good song, shops order a 3-6 month stock, and reorder if a release becomes a good seller.

Hence, the shop orders less, and so the RIAA things sales are dropping. They essentially blame consumers being better informed and less likely to spend money on what will basically be crap. The labels under the RIAA need to wake up and start producing music that is quality. Not try to promote a one-hit-wonder, and then complain that sales are dropping.

Also a note, with how little labels pay artists, I wouldn't feel like I was stealing from the artist, as my contribution to their bank account is actually very small.
 starrow
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 5/4/2007 2:23:18 AM
I've not bought a cassette or CD for a long time.
Because I always liston to music beside a computer and so from a computer.
I even seldom download music for I can enjoy much of them online.
That's the reality in China.
Sadly to you guys:(.
 soundchaser1962
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2007 1:15:49 AM
I can't imagine not buying CDs. I must have the album cover / sleeve notes / graphics / photos. Music has always been an audio AND visual thing for me. Imagine listening to Frank Zappa's music without ever seeing the cover art. It's just wrong.

I would, however, download music I don't love enough to spend high prices for.
 Kitty_Katz
Msg: 92
Posted: 10/3/2007 11:12:04 AM
Absolutely! I always buy CDs. My collection consists of well over 400 now..and still growing. There are rare occasions when I search for something online that is impossible to find on CD (ie: old 70s or 80s one-hit wonders that are impossible to find anywhere else). I have had friends burn CDs for me from downloaded music, but the quality often sucks. I agree with the rest of the readers though, I enjoy getting the whole package....artwork, lyrics, etc. that you can't get from downloading.
 Beholder
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2007 3:16:51 PM
I'm definitely still buying CDs also - I do use the iTMS sometimes, usually just to buy the occasional single obscure track - but I really like getting something tangible for my money. I've always been the "download the album first, if it's good then go out and buy it" guy - which I especially like when the disc is hard to come by, and needs to be direct ordered from Japan, or waiting until I take a trip somewhere where I can get a copy, etc.

The problem with CDs however, is that the boxes really suck. It's a standard worked out in the 80s, and it really needs a makeover - the boxes are brittle, too large, and too heavy (packing up boxes of CDs when you're moving is such a pain).

Ideally, I'd love to see CDs just move over to the thinpak-style DVD case (except shortened to the same height the current ones are). The problem with that (other than the fact it'll never happen), is that unlike moving DVDs from the standard size boxes in to the thin ones, you couldn't directly convert your existing collection. (Because of course the front artwork is the booklet, which is thick, and the back panel only works when it sits so the edges meet, etc).

If the industry would switch over to a thin flexible case with a wraparound image and the booklet inside, it would be such an improvement. Of course they're probably more concerned about being able to sell CDs period, without having to increase manufacturing costs by changing something so basic, but... I can dream, right?
 spring63
Msg: 94
Posted: 10/27/2007 4:51:42 AM
I'm old school. I love Japanese pressed LP's. The quality of the packaging is far superior to anything else. You can't beat the sound quality when played back on great equipment. I also buy Japanese mini-lp compact discs. They are an exact replica of their LP counterparts complete with cardboard sleeves. I don't like music downloads. It's to cold. I like to hold that album or cd in hand, admire the art, read the liner notes, etc.
 CaliforniaGuy79
Msg: 95
Posted: 10/28/2007 9:24:20 AM
I Buy CDs all the time, I'm just more used to it.
 rockguy55
Msg: 96
Posted: 10/28/2007 9:05:55 PM
I buy cd's exclusively.I don't like changing my old ways and I do like the packaging,after all that's where all the info is and that's important to me.
 mr. dynomite
Msg: 97
Posted: 10/28/2007 11:17:22 PM
I usually buy vinyl. Any cd i have is either home burned or someone gave it to me (an OG or someone burned me a home copy like "listen to these guys!"). I don't own a cd player anymore so it won't be long before they make their way out of my collection after they get turned into mp3's.

Ipods and mp3 playes are definately killing CD's.
 terrestrial
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 11/4/2007 10:12:41 PM
I buy CDs, usually six everytime I'm going on a road trip. I do not buy DVDs.

I just recently bought an iPod shuffle, so I could have something to keep from getting bored on the treadmill. Downloading takes more time than CD shopping.
 Thatguy67
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2008 7:15:31 PM
I still buy cds but not very often.

vegomatic
Msg: 100
Posted: 12/12/2008 7:28:11 PM

Yep, still buy 'em, not nearly as often as I used to, but I do like owning the disc when I hear something I really want, especially for the vital info and artwork on the cover, etc.

Last 2 cd's I bought were Guthrie Govan's "Erotic Cakes" and Greg Howe's "Sound Proof."
 Bry-Fidelity
Msg: 101
Posted: 12/12/2008 9:30:20 PM
I have more c.d.s than I can count. I just love music and believe there is no love without investment. If you like a band then whether or not they continue depends on how actively their fan base supports them. It's like if you don't vote for Presidents then you are told not to complain. Same thing for a band in my opinion. If you don't put your money into their music then you can't complain that they became a one hit wonder, lost their record deal or that your genre of music doesn't get enough attention. Even though the music industry collects a lot of c.d. sales the band still needs sales to prove to the label they are relevant. It's a business but it's a business determined by fan investment. I do own an Ipod and love it for road trips and convenience in general. I can honestly say over 95% of the 18,452 songs on there are from my own c.d.s and the rest is stuff I bought on Itunes because it was exclusively digital. I am a musical enthusiast as the OP was asking for and it seems like a dying breed.
 Tisha Mc
Msg: 102
Posted: 12/15/2008 2:48:50 AM
I still buy CDs. I like them for the collectors editions. I also get them because there are songs that you would never hear on the radio or know anything that are really good. And you'll only hear them on the CD. I also like to get records for purely collector reasons. Plus B-sides are great.
 junglejeff88
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 12/15/2008 5:52:40 PM
I still buy compact discs ... also have an extensive vinyl collection ... between my compact discs and vinyl, I probably have somewhere in the neighborhood of 4000 ... and am proud to say that I've never downloaded a single song from the internet ...

The thing I love about buying cd's now is the fact that I can now buy super clean, used discs for about $2 - $3 apiece as people move away from that format and sell their collections ... and I am very glad to see vinyl making a comeback ...

jeffery
 Talon897
Msg: 104
Posted: 12/20/2008 10:46:07 AM
I used to buy CDs way more than I used to. I spend a lot of time listening to stuff streaming online and from my collection of over 400 CDs. I have bought the occasional song from iTunes but that is only when I want a specific song otherwise I would prefer the CD format.
 livingdeadgirl89
Msg: 105
Posted: 1/5/2009 6:37:23 AM
As a reformed vinyl junkie, who's now switched to cd's...I understand where you're coming from. I will download a song I like, if the rest of the album is so-so. But if I really, really love the artist - I buy the CD. So, I guess I tend to listen before I buy.

I think we, as fans, owe it to the artists to actually buy their work. Granted, artists are not into their crafts solely to make money (those that are worth their salt anyway), but they have to eat too.

I'd hate to see the industry die out. I hated to see vinyl go. I used to devour a new lp, reading the liner notes while listening. I go blind reading cd liner notes, not to mention it takes me 15 minutes to open one...
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >