Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > are there still cd buyers out there      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bassbindevil
Msg: 76
view profile
History
are there still cd buyers out therePage 4 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
I don't buy as many CDs as I used to; the last ones I bought were DJ Nobu "No Way Back" and a Japanese dance music festival CD/DVD set at Tower Records in Tokyo, and some used ones from Disk Union (mix CD from 1997 and some early '90s breakbeat).

I think in the long run, peer-to-peer sharing could work out OK for musicians. Each album or MP3 could include a link to the artist's paypal site to make a donation. Even $1 would be more than many bands earn from a CD sale.

Right now I'm listening to a DJ promo mix I downloaded from a Brazilian dance music site. It's only 128k, but if the music is good, bitrate doesn't matter so much.
 RedPaladin
Msg: 77
are there still cd buyers out there
Posted: 2/27/2007 8:01:16 AM
I'm well over 400 CDs at this point... gotta support my bands

...like Wolf... they rule!
 K3VLAR
Msg: 78
Posted: 2/27/2007 4:07:41 PM
I just picked up the new MOTORHEAD CD; KISS OF DEATH, today, with their awesome cover of R.A.M.O.N.E.S.
and I just received the newest CD from Southern Culture On The Skids in the mail, COUNTRYPOLITAN FAVORITES
I love supporting the artists that I like and appreciate, and the original CD recording sounds better than a downloaded song, (maybe I'm just anal)
 mern
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2007 8:59:35 PM
I have an iPod and still havent bought anything off iTunes. I kind of like having the whole CD package experience...especially since many artists are actually putting effort into them now.
 Gypsygirl29
Msg: 80
Posted: 2/28/2007 5:31:24 PM
Yup, every paycheck I pick up a cd and dvd for the movie collection (yes I have a problem). After my computer literally died from music downloads, I removed all downloading software and only buy cd's now. That really hurt too because I had a lot of unsigned indie music from the artists themselves
 GothicSmurf
Msg: 81
Posted: 3/25/2007 7:00:10 PM
I'm still a CD buyer. I like having something tangable to touch, see, feel and what have you when I buy a CD. My current collection is over 6000 right now.

Besides, I usually get a chance to meet a lot of the artists (a bonus for having worked in the industry!). If I had them sign my iPod I'd run out of room.

I do download songs as a teaser, and 9 times out of 10, I end up buying the CD.
 GuitarGuy_
Msg: 82
Posted: 3/25/2007 8:18:55 PM
I still buy CDs for the bands I like. I support them. To me its too much of a pain to find every song. Find every song that works. Plus you dont treat burned CDs as good. Have no need for an iPod yet as I'm not a BIG music guy. Just in my car, and CD's work fine for that.

if songs were $.025 each I would never buy another CD. But at a buck a piece I dont agree with it. The labels have no shipping, no production costs at all, its just pure profit. When you buy a cd you GET a Cd the liner notes the case and extras.
 2findU
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2007 7:05:46 AM
I actually bought a few in the past year. But I discovered a few months ago via someone at POF about downloading Bit torrents. So now I have downloaded and burned a whole bunch of CD's which were free. I just had to buy the CD-R's and jewel boxes. And I have been able to find classic rock, blues/rock, jazz/rock, etc. music you probably can't even find at the CD stores or Amazon or anywhere.

I still have some vinyl. Unfortanately the mover lost about 80% of my collection a few years ago. I was quite pissed! And they lost some other stuff too. Of my remaining vinyl I recorded some onto my PC and burned them onto CD. Those were the ones I could't find downloads of. And I still have my turntable. Obviously because that's how I got my vinyl to PC.
 rorythegeordie
Msg: 84
Posted: 3/26/2007 10:28:21 AM
I still buy CDs regularly & I buy the vinyl instead whenever I can - you'd be surprised how many bands still release on vinyl. I do think that it sounds better than digital - I mean, we hear in analogue what with us being organic creatures & all. It's a subtle difference (I do have some of my vinyl LPs on CD for portability & have compared a few) & the only way I can describe it is that the vinyl sound has more depth. I have downloaded the odd track but just to sample - I don't own an MP3 & all the computer speakers I've heard have piss-poor sound. I do like the packaging as well, the fancier the better - I'm a total sucker that way!
The only format I can think of that has died a death is cassettes, probably because of their lack of durability, so I don't think downloading will change much in the long run. One thing I do think is worth mentioning here is that there are still a hell of a lot of people out there who don't have a PC & so can't download music - & I'm not just talking about adults here, a lot of kids grow up without access to them apart from maybe schools & libraries (which loads of kids don't bother with too much anyway).
To all the people complaining about record shop prices (which are extortionate):
buy from the record labels & artists direct. I recently ordered the new Jesu double LP for the grand total of about €22 including P&P from Switzerland - I've seen copies on ebay priced at about £40. I try to buy all my new music in this way as it cuts out the middle man & everyone with access to a PC is able to do it.
 Piejesus
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2007 7:50:49 PM
CD's are for saps, Vinyl is the the wave of the Future..... only the past!
 badorb
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2007 12:44:03 PM
Well hello all , new on here , anyway seems like a great forum , not all those would you sleep with the person above you kind of things all over the place those are so terrible.

Anyway back to the subject , well yeah i have about 1000 cd's and maybe about 200 vinyl , so yeah they are by no means dead , and I agree with the packaging been a good thing , instead of downloading a file , I like the way a lot of bands give free dvd's away with there cd's these days , well since about 2001 :). I have many disscussions ( god I can't spell anymore ) , about mp3's beign usless , compacted music ugh , would you compact your family to make them easier to store , lol , no ..

They still have life in them cd's and vinyl for sure , I recently bought two Opeth albums cheap at the almost deciest Music Zone , ugh looks weird in there at the moment poor things. Also bought Enter Shikari's album which is superb , um I dont just like rock btw :)..

Anyway cool , debate away guys :) bye
 Mr. Ivan
Msg: 87
Posted: 3/30/2007 6:24:01 PM
Haven't bought a CD in a long time. I get MP3s and then burn them to a CD. I don't even browse or look at them anymore. Mainstream music never attracted me anyways.
 M2k7
Msg: 88
Posted: 4/1/2007 9:49:10 AM
I like the whole experience of buying a CD (before that vinyl) - I like the lyrics, I like the liner notes, the cover art, all that jazz.
 Whole 9 Yards
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2007 8:19:43 PM
Still love to buy Cd's to listen to my favorite albums in their entirity.

Very few new bands have the talent to make a coherent CD with ten songs which don't a sound:
a)exactly like each other
b) sound exactly like another band
c) their last album
d) like shite

Really. can anyone pull of a Revolver? a Dark side of the Moon? An Exile on Main Street? A Led Zeppelin1,2,3,4? A zen arcade? A Bleach? A You're Living All Over me? van halen 1,2? Fleetwoddd Mac English Rose, texas Flood, Pet Sounds? Siamese dream? I could go on. But really how many bands do want to down load ten -twelve songs anymore, at least that are new. One two? Three max usually. atleast for me.
i find myself on you tube alot too.
 ThE mArD
Msg: 90
Posted: 4/2/2007 6:21:50 PM
Heyyo,

I buy my music cds, but only for artists who I truly enjoy their music. I've been listening to a lot of random crap recently due to the radio stations here not sucking as they did before, so I'm going to buy a cd from The Killers, Grand Funk Railroad, Bruce Springsteen, The Tragially Hip.. and they even played some U2 which I heard for the first time ever... and all I can say is they're great so I'm going to get that U2 18 singles cd.. so yeah, I do download some band's cds or songs, usually a greatest hits if I can find it, and if I enjoy it a lot then I buy the whole cd. Lots of bands nowadays only put out one or two good songs, so there's not a lot of new music I'd buy a cd right away.
 neuromantic
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 4/2/2007 9:33:02 PM
I buy CDs, I buy vinyl, sometimes I even buy cassettes. I also download, but mostly stuff long out of print. For the struggling musos, downloding is at least a way of getting exposure. Interesting note: the guys from South park don't care if people download their stuff, as far as they're concerned it's getting exposure...

Also as I type, I'm in a community radio station, in a room full of vinyl. The room next to it has 23,000 Cds in it. I'm in hog heaven.

Toe knee :-)
 JimmyJames147
Msg: 92
Posted: 4/4/2007 2:34:45 AM
I still buy CDs. A lot of used CDs, but I'll buy something brand new if it's an album that I really, REALLY want. Or if I can find it at the online store I shop at (The End Records).

I like to download too, but really only as a way to find out if something is worth buying or not. As a rule, I won't get more than a few songs from any one album before I decide to buy it. I'm not saying that the way I do it is necessarily right or fair, but that's what I do.

But the way I probably support a band the most is by going and seeing them in concert, and buying a t-shirt while I'm there. I've really been getting into the concert scene a lot lately.
 Goldy-S10
Msg: 93
Posted: 4/6/2007 6:49:01 PM
HAHA i am definately old school ...<- I mean i still buy CDs i dont own an I pod ...i would like to own one, but really i think ill just stick to the good OL' discs
 JimmyJames147
Msg: 94
Posted: 4/7/2007 2:45:13 AM
I was too stuck in my ways to buy an iPod, then my sister told me about hers, and it sounded pretty cool. I bought it primarily so I don't have to fumble through my CDs while I'm driving, and I don't have to worry about them getting stolen from the car. Now I use that thing religiously. I just need to buy the hookup for my disc changer at home, then I'll be all set. iPods are convenient as hell (except for the rare times they freeze on you...that sucks hard).
 ShaneyMac
Msg: 95
Posted: 4/7/2007 5:41:30 AM
Yeah I still buy CD's and LP's. The sound quality from the internet can be somewhat lousy at times. In fact I just bought two CD's the other day. Ryan Adams "Cold Roses" and Kings Of Leon "Because Of The Times" (great release by the way!)
 IdleRiot
Msg: 96
Posted: 4/7/2007 4:05:25 PM
Plenty of CD buyers out there... I personally don't like purchasing MP3's or CD's... A good Bit Torrent thread will cough up higher quality, closer to studio replication.

I still buy my Vinyl, Back it up onto a digital format just in case I ever need a reprint. But the truth is itunes killed the CD star. CD's were over priced to begin with. Napster helped convince the big labels to be a lil' more reasonable... which lasted all of 3 years before climbing back up to an average 14.99 price tag. Robbery I say... Robbery.

Now look, Napster (and all its kin) are making the big labels more money than I can count in a lifetime. Multiply that with Mobile music and those silly ass ringtones and you get this pureed, synthetic bastarized blend of pop america machine that makes me want to go out and buy thrift.

That way my money goes to someone who actually enjoyed the music.
 danceoflife1981
Msg: 97
Posted: 4/8/2007 9:46:31 AM
yes yes yes, music is so great. cds are cool i buy em, but they scratch thats the only part that kills me about em. i go amazon dot com a lot, really awesome prices, right to my mail box, yeah america!!!!
 **koi**
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2007 12:35:01 PM
Mostly no. Why? Because it's expensive and I only want a few songs off the CD. Now, when I find an album worth buying I do. Or if an artist I really like and know won't disappoint.
Of course, this is compounded by the fact that I pay more for a CD because how many industrial CDs can you really find at HMV? I know they're getting better, but still, slim pickings.
I'd rather download an album, decide if it's worth the purchase and then buy it. I do buy more CDs than I used to though, as I find more and more artists who deliver consistent and great music.
 guitar12646
Msg: 99
Posted: 4/10/2007 2:26:23 PM
Not really. I usually buy all my music through Itunes or Emusic.com(downloaded.) It's easier for me to load onto my Ipod.

I did buy the new Secret Machines on CD the other day, though.
 Rapidfire
Msg: 100
Posted: 4/10/2007 7:06:23 PM
I still buy CD's, but not as often as I used to. For one, there's not as much music coming out that I like enough to buy. Not to mention that the only record store in my city closed down recently, so my only CD buyin options are online, a long trip, or wal-mart...Sadly, wal-mart is the worst option out of the 3.

I download music alot, but I rarely use it as a substitute for buying the CD. I download new albums so that I can hear them asap, and so that I can see if it's worth my money. Very rarely do I go ahead and burn the downloaded album and listen to it in my car.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > are there still cd buyers out there