Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 FistnCuffs
Msg: 22
Is corn starch gluten free? HelpPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
ketch...are you answering her original question as to whether corn starch is gluten free?...
as has been stated before...yes it is...but it can most definitely NOT be used as a sub for flour...
did i also hear someone say use potato flour instead?...if you try that...could you please make me a couple of thousand...baked in bread pans?...i would like to build a new garage andthose would work quite well for bricks...
corn starch and potato flour are basically thickening agents...
i've tried gluten free bread...and quite frankly it was the shits...the permeating taste was yeast...
OP...i am pretty sure there are other wheats that are gluten free...i think...not 100% sure...
you might look into using flour made from either spelt...or kamut...they both contain gluten but apparently the gluten in spelt is very fragile and easier for people with celiacs to digest...just a thought
 happygal_28
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Is corn starch gluten free? Help
Posted: 2/27/2010 5:51:44 PM
what a great post this turned into even though it veered off topic. thansk to eris42 for another all purpose flour mix to try. being gluten free can be tough!
 jsm7973
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2011 8:38:54 AM
Yes corn starch is gluten free. The only material that naturally has gluten in it is Wheat Flour and Wheat Gluten. They are the only items (both from wheat) that poses gliadin and a glutelin, that when combined with water form Gluten.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2011 12:12:11 PM
I'm glad to have read this thread ... diagnosed with celiac's disease long ago, I've been playing the Russian roulette game for decades because no one really clued me in on how serious the danger is ... I figured if I wasn't full-on SICK, it was ok ...

one of my doctors finally spelled it out for me this past summer ... just as eris42 posted (above) five years ago ... I really shouldn't have been consuming gluten at all ... so I've been seriously off gluten since then ... and, believe me ... it's ANNOYINGLY difficult to find good things to eat ...

it does take some getting used to! thanks to the previous posters for their advice ... especially with regard to NOT getting on the spelt bandwagon ...

incidentally, I was advised to avoid more than just "wheat flour" ... there's also rye flour, oat flour ... and a few others ... and I agree with another poster who said some of the store-bought "bread" mixes have a very heavy bean or garbanzo bean taste ...
 CeliacFreeGirl1
Msg: 28
Posted: 1/5/2013 5:44:19 PM
Corn starch is gluten free :)
 Molly Maude
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2013 5:58:43 PM
a little over a year later, I'm pleased with how gluten free products are easier to obtain now
than when I posted in October 2011 ... I've discovered good old Betty Crocker even makes
gluten-free cake mixes, brownies, Bisquick, etc. ... so you can make pancakes, waffles ...

when I was in Seattle visiting, quite a few of the restaurants we frequented offered "wheat-
free" or "gluten-free" ... well, everything ... hamburger buns, toast, pizza ... everything!
yay for us ...

as to the original post about cornbread ... I've been routinely making cornbread using
1-1/2 cups of cornmeal to 1/2 cup of RICE FLOUR ... it works just fine ... I even make
gravy with rice flour ... which can be found in the asian parts of markets ...
 Debyduz_
Msg: 30
Posted: 1/13/2013 6:36:57 PM
i have a corn bread recipe with no flour

Good Eats Creamed Corn Cornbread (Alton Brown)

http://www.food.com/recipe/Good-Eats-Creamed-Corn-Cornbread-Alton-Brown-265601
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  >