Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Apparently those Nigerian scammers are using Yahoo messenger now...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 911love
Msg: 254
Apparently those Nigerian scammers are using Yahoo messenger now...Page 12 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
I noticed that they have "canned" responses! The first few messages they have good english then suddenly it becomes broken and they get mixed up from having multiple women who they are trying to swindle! And they are always really good looking like a model! And the pictures look like they came out of a publication! LOL!
 charlie_girl_2
Msg: 255
Apparently those Nigerian scammers are using Yahoo messenger now...
Posted: 1/7/2012 9:10:17 AM
Two encounters with scammers, on POF, and very recently.

First was of a very good looking man in a military uniform with his last name, and stripes of a Sgt. His profile was wonderful and I thought he could be wonderful, and right away with first contact via email (his extremely brief) here, he wanted to go to Yahoo IM of which I refused to do. He wouldn't email and wouldn't talk on the phone. I got really suspicious and sure enough with a little google here and there -- I found him... all over the place... as one to be aware of! I learned that the scammer is a Nigerian or somewhere near there and has used this real military man's photo to lure women for the sole purpose of getting money from them. (They are harder to trace on IM or so this article stated)
He puts up the photo and profile all over the country on various sites. It stays up just for a couple of days and he's gone. But he always comes back according to what I read about him. Unfortunately the real military man in the profile has tried to fight back to recover his good name but it seems he is having a difficult time doing that because those who scam, like the ones I encountered, do that too, to throw the "investigators" off track.

The other scammer and there have only been the two, was a bit more devious. His profile, shows him in my area but then I found out he was in another country... wrote pages about himself and how "good-looking" he is, etc. But nothing ever really personally directed to me. I knew it was all cut and paste and I soon lost interest and told him that I wasn't looking for a man in another country. He didn't write back.

Men and women need to do some thinking about what they are being asked to do . Be careful, the scammers and schemers are out there. No matter what, I would NEVER give, or send money, and certainly would NOT stay in contact with them.

c_deacon
Msg: 256
view profile
History
Posted: 1/7/2012 10:23:54 AM
Is this like asking some stranger to take you on a motorcycle adventure??......

OT......All of us need to use our large brain and think think think, when it comes to using a computer to get to know others. If they need or want something, that should let you know to slow down and see why and how that works.

None of this means that they are not good people, caring and truly meaning what they say, it just means that we need to take the time to actually know them first, and then eliminate the users and abusers, and keep the ones that are real.......

cd...............
 EmeraldsandDiamonds
Msg: 257
view profile
History
Posted: 1/7/2012 2:46:47 PM
msg 229, by ygonzales: this pof-er you mention is still on here! two years older but still fishing.
 charlie_girl_2
Msg: 258
Posted: 1/8/2012 4:33:50 AM
Is this like asking some stranger to take you on a motorcycle adventure??

Bwahahahahahaha! Choke! Choke! Sputter! Sputter!

Now, Deacon that was funny! Great way to start my morning. Thank you!
 golfclubbber
Msg: 259
Posted: 2/20/2013 6:05:49 PM
Yes, I've been hit by several. You can usually tell right away. The pic is usually awesome, but about 16-32 Kb, altered and too small for google search image to use. Then, The story starts, they come on strong and suddenly have to take a trip abroad, run into trouble and ask for cash. I got one Nigerian, after I tracked her IP to a road in the middle of nowhere on a mobile device and talked her down from 2000$ for school,(right!) to $200 for an interview and photos in an airport, haaha. Of course she likely sent a fake pic again and it's a guy. Yes, don't let you mail settings accept addresses just because you reply. That's a backdoor into messenger, and keep that off! She approached me on facebook too, but many more here. More yet on Match.com!

If you can copy the long header of the mail , I can give you a site to track them down in seconds
 DurbanDevil
Msg: 260
view profile
History
Posted: 2/21/2013 4:59:55 AM
Msg 280 - How do you track someone using the IP address please ? I get random contacts on Skype, mainly from Ghana.

Thank you.
 AvailableinIndy
Msg: 261
Posted: 2/21/2013 9:37:57 AM
Dr. Phil did a show on this yestereday....some stupid lady gave him $178,000 over a period of 8 months. ...she still didn't believe she was scammed. STUPID!
 AvailableinIndy
Msg: 262
Posted: 2/21/2013 9:39:43 AM
They say to NEVER go to yahoo messenger w/ these scammers. If that is the first thing they ask to do especially.
 Seki1949
Msg: 263
view profile
History
Posted: 9/26/2015 12:18:53 PM
I don't give money to strangers. I don't even give money to people I have met and I have had two that I met in OLD that started sad stories pretty soon after we met. *poof* I'm gone.

I use to have a fax only number that I gave to the scammers to talk to my 'business manager' to arrange assistance. That phone would ring and ring and ring for a few days and then go quiet. Sometimes I would answer and pretend to be the 'business number' just to string them along. I would ask them to fax a copy of their passport and/or their international drivers license. I got a number of phonies faxed to me. I also had a scammers only email for more good clean fun.

I once wrote back to a Nigerian widow that, of course, I knew her husband His Excellency and that I was shocked at his death. I told her long stories about happy afternoons in the National Soccer Stadiums drinking whisky with His Excellency while we executed political prisoners. Widow Excellency was so happy to hear from a friend of His Excellency.

I learned my lesson long ago trying to help a single mom with a baby and other young children. No matter how often I gave her help, there never seemed to be any money for milk for the baby. After way too long, I decided the baby's milk money was going up her nose or into her veins. So *poof* I went.
 INDIANFLOWER7
Msg: 264
Posted: 4/7/2016 3:37:33 PM
The scammers post says tomask his name he said is Greg and he said he lives in Chantilly VA.
Thank everyone for this post. I had been date scammed on another dating sites yrs ago. It was a Christian dating site and I caught on and told them off. This time I just joined plenty of fish last month and I was talking to different guys to get to know them and what they believe about God. This guy came on Sunday March 27 who said he lived in Northern VA called Chantilly VA. He had a nice pic and he claimed he was a Christian. He wanted to exchange emails to chat on yahoo messenger and text me, but he would never talk to me on the phone. When I asked him to talk to me on the phone he would make excuses that we needed to talk on the yahoo messenger and text first to get to know each other. Within the wk he had told me he kept thinking of me and that I was the one for him and that God put us together. He said he wanted me to be his and to not talk to any more guys on here. He told me that he wanted kids like I wanted and that he had been in a bad marriage where his wife cheated on him etc etc. Even though I had seen this happen before I still kept talking to him. Yesterday he finally called me from a 757 area code which is not an area code for the city he lives in, but and area code for Newport News VA. The cell he texted me on had a TX area code. I screen calls and if I do not know the number I do not pick it up. He lft a message saying he was Greg that's the name he gave me and he was calling to talk to me. He sounded like he had a African accent and yet his photo is someone who is Caucasian and he did not sound like he lived in the USA. I asked him how come he was calling from a Newport News area code if he lived in Chantilly VA and why he had 2 different cell numbers. He claimed he was calling from a restricted number that had a FL area code, but was coming up wrong on my called ID. He said he could not hear me on the phone and we had a bad connection and he hung up. He kept texting me so I acted like I did not know he was fake. I blocked him today. I am so tired of this dating sucks. I was so dumb to listen to him for a while, but when I heard his voice on my cell I realized it was a scammer and then I went back and paid more attention to the fact that he wrote in broken English. I was hoping to find someone real to start to get to know for a real relationship, but again I run into scammers and especially since I said I was a Christian they try to use God to bait me. I guess they think because of my age and desire to get married and the fact that I am a Christian that I am going to believe anything they say. I feel like a fool and heartbroken. Its hard to trust myself or anyone to know if they are legitimate. I think romantic scams are the worst scams in the world, because you come on here looking to find true love and u end up more heartbroken then before. Thank u all for sharing u stories so I do not feel alone. I still feel like a fool again. I just wanted to believe what I wanted to believe.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 265
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2016 3:58:46 PM
He would not get a chance to ask a second question, with me. Why did he, with you? They are not smart enough to learn proper English so it is amazing that they succeed at all.
 Ladyinred0407
Msg: 266
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2016 7:36:47 AM
INDIANFLOWER, Please know, I tell you this with respect.
( Age restrictions on POF and your mail settings don't allow for me to send a private message.)

Your profile screams "Here I am!" It puts you in the bulls eye, of the target for scammers.
Women who openly seek a Christian man, to marry, are their prime suspects.

I never used the Christian OLD site myself but have heard it can get hit a lot by scammers.
Historically you are the most vulnerable, the easiest prey.

There are several clues to be aware of first and foremost.
1. Bad grammar 2. Bad English 3. Including the word "God" in any message.

After that, it is the inconsistencies always present, such as the mismatched phone number, etc etc.

Block, delete and back away!

I'm not suggesting you change what you are looking for in a relationship. But it would be much less noticeable if you take this info out of your headline and out of the "Intent " box and eliminate any mention of God or Christ.
You can state for "Intent', Seeking a relationship, and at the bottom of your About Me section, your last line can include, you are seeking a man who is a Christian and you would like to someday get married. This won't stop all of the scammers but at least you will have removed yourself from the Bulls Eye.

I received many scammer messages while using a different OLD site, only one on POF. And that message wanted me to join "God's flock".

Beware, be careful, and I wish you the best of luck in your search!
 dragonbytes
Msg: 267
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2016 8:17:37 AM
I really pity any honest person that is born in Nigeria. Because as soon as I hear Nigeria I assume it's some sort of scam, and that's not really fair to everyone that lives or was born in Nigeria.

INDIANFLOWER7 I still feel like a fool again.

I think you get too heavily invested with people you interface with but haven't yet met. So your emotions are in play and then when you determine something is wrong or smells like a scam, you feel like a fool.

You should only feel foolish if you have sent them money or allowed them to gain your trust in a way that could hurt you. Otherwise, go with the flow and DON'T get 100% invested in anything until you have at least a year relationship meeting face to face.

I must have talked to over 300 scammers, boiler room and debt collector callers in my time. A few I have met on the streets, a lot more bogus emails, though MSMAIL does a good job of filtering out a lot of junk email.

I don't really 100% believe anything people who contact me are saying or in any sort of email, etc. I give them the benefit of doubt, but never rely on their story being true. So I trust them, but would never give out personal information that could be used for identity theft, or NEVER send any sort of money, gift, dirt from my backyard, anything to someone I didn't already know.

Scammers are easy to deal with if you never part with information or money. After all, in the end they have an agenda to get one or the other.

I used to spend a lot of time with them on the phone, like an hour, just to see if I could break them down. I have done it, gotten them angry, they start to curse at me, then when that didn't get me going, they actually reverted to their real human side, which actually isn't very nice but at least it's honest.

After talking to 100s, they seem to have paid for a script that they all follow. It's kind of funny when you realize you can predict what they will say next, and how they will deal with any doubts you will have.

Since I have dated Internationally, I have chatted with many with bad English or bad grammar. It's too be expected.

However when they cold call me on the phone, then I automatically have my guard up.

Now days, since I already have a wealth of experience dealing with them, I just shut hang up or ignore them if it's MSGs. The only time I reported a cold caller was when they were pretending to be the FBI, I just felt that was over the line for a scammer to try and pull.

Also, I wouldn't put in that you are looking for someone to marry, as it would create too much expectation for someone like me to want to contact you.

Wish you well in your achieving your goals.
 INDIANFLOWER7
Msg: 268
Posted: 4/8/2016 3:18:21 PM
Hi thank u Ladyinred for u compassionate post. I hesitated to post this cause I feel ashamed of sort of falling for this again even though in both situations I did not give them any money or anything at all. I tried to take u suggestions and change some of my post, but I still stated my beliefs though. It may still get scammers, but I can edit some more if u think I need to. I changed my headline, I did not know what to use really as a headline. Dating sites are stressful to me, u want to find someone genuine and its like u have to weed thru all this scamming. Any way thank u for understanding and being supportive too. I am at point of giving up on dating sites period really. I am not sure what to do at this point. thanks anyways
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 269
Posted: 4/9/2016 1:18:36 PM

but again I run into scammers and

Did either of these guys have photos on their profiles?

Its hard to trust myself or anyone to know if they are legitimate.

Ask guys about American pop culture stuff that only Americans would know, and ask them questions about the city they live in, and if they hesitate about answering, they are not legitimate.
 no_kids_please
Msg: 270
Posted: 4/15/2016 5:33:59 PM
Public Service Announcement: No one except old people use Yahoo anything in 2016... partially because their spam filters are a complete joke and continue to be. Delete your account. Problem gone. You're welcome.
 INDIANFLOWER7
Msg: 271
Posted: 4/18/2016 12:43:49 PM
They do have pics and they write a profile too. This one on here tried to pretend that he cared about me as a
"brother in the Lord" and told me even if I decided not to have him as "my man" that he still wanted to be a part of my life as a friend. ---thank everyone for u support. This one was harder to see because he did not just try to talk about romance, but tried to act like he wanted to be my friend and that he was a "Christian". He acted like he was a caring person. The other one did not last to long on the Christian dating site I did yrs ago because he asked me about money. The one on here did not ask about money. So it was a little hard to see at first. He talked to me like a "friend". I should know if its too good to be true it is. Its like so ridiculous. Like I said I do not know how much longer I will continue on any dating sites. I get frustrated with all this and not knowing who is real and who is not. It seems really hard to find someone. thank all of u again.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Apparently those Nigerian scammers are using Yahoo messenger now...