Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Apparently those Nigerian scammers are using Yahoo messenger now...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 beehearnow
Msg: 135
Apparently those Nigerian scammers are using Yahoo messenger now...Page 5 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
I have my yahoo im profile locked down but I do get these messages on my space. They are always essentially the same...you are the most beautiful person, i'm a widower (tragic circumstances always) with small children , temporarily in another country, want to spend the rest of my life with you, im me at blah blah blah. I just laugh, then report/delete.
 cherryyblossom
Msg: 136
Apparently those Nigerian scammers are using Yahoo messenger now...
Posted: 2/4/2010 5:50:46 AM
what a bummer that scammers will do anything for your money and personal info.
 B1945
Msg: 137
Posted: 2/20/2010 4:16:36 AM
That is funny. I met a man ( I won't call him a gentleman) on a dating site. He was very handsome if that was his photo. We exchanged email on that site and eventually via yahoo email and IM.
He also had all kinds of questions about my personal life. I told him some things about me but not where I live or phone no.
He seemed like he really cared for me.
This went on a couple of months. He wanted me to turn on my web cam and I wouldn't do it. Then he said let me see your cat knowing if I did that he would have to see me as well. Dah......
He told me his wife was killed in a car accident along with one of his sons.
He said he had a 12 yr old son at home with him. I did the math. He would have been 60 when his son was born. That started me thinking. I knew at that point he was a scammer.
A week or so later I got an email from him asking or 5000.00 to save his sons life. He says to me he is your son and mine and if I don't get the money for his operation he will die. Please BB don't let him die. I can only come up with 1000.00
He sent me an address n Las Vegas USA to send it to his sister from Western union and email him the tacking #. Now this man is supposed to be in Fla.
I sent that email and a couple others to abuse@yahoo and to SPM where I met him. Yahoo was investigating him for fraud and he is no longer on SPM. You can tell a scammer after awhile. That is why I don't give out my phone # an address to anyone unless I am absolutely sure. To make a long story short I have not heard another word from him. I am so thankful I followed my instincts.
 B1945
Msg: 138
Posted: 2/20/2010 4:41:44 AM
I have to tell you I have had not one, not two but three scammers and every one of them has lost their wives in car accidents and have a child of 12 yrs. and younger. They were from Fla., Ohio, and Las Vegas. Two of them were in their 60's. Do the math.
I played along with them and had fun doing so. When they asked for money sent from Western Union to a different name and state to save their childs life I simply sent their emails to abuse at yahoo and they were investigated for fraud also turned them in as a scammer on the dating site where I met them. I am talking 4000.00 or more. They don't know I am on SS.
Thank goodness they only knew my screen name, no address or phone number. It pays to be careful. Lets' get um..............
Chef Amber.....what a good idea about the credit card No. I laughed my tail off. I have to remember that.
 mosaic storm
Msg: 139
Posted: 6/7/2010 12:39:58 AM
I was IM'd by a man from another dating site - he asked me some of the usual questions, then he asked me for my Yahoo email address, and a few minutes later asked me "where did you spend your honeymoon?" I've never been asked that before, and thought it was not a bad question, kind of original, although who wants to talk about their honeymoon when looking for a new relationship? I gave him a truthful answer, then he said "but where did you REALLY spend your honeymoon?" I repeated my answer. Then, he gave away the game because he said that's the question that Yahoo asks when you're changing your password. Stunned, I said "are you trying to hack into my Yahoo account" and he disappeared from my screen lickedy-split. What happened to guys who just want to talk dirty?
 Pingshooter
Msg: 140
view profile
History
Posted: 6/7/2010 6:41:04 PM
Scamming is an occupation for these people. That is how they make their living.
They are crooks.

For every 100 contacts they send out or attempt to make, they usually will find some sucker who they can convince to send them money.

They are very tenacious, to start off with, because they know they can only dupe a small segment of who they contact.

Best way to deal with them, is to NOT engage them in conversation, if you are uncomfortable in the least little bit. If something does not add up, then nothing is going to make it add up..stop the conversation/contact with them.

Be smart, don't be a victim.
 MsYesterday
Msg: 141
Posted: 6/27/2010 7:34:17 AM
I just received a letter from one of those scammers stating that someone in his country has chosen me to receive all his fortune (80 mil.$).
Am I going to have him play me for a fool? NO!
If he wants me to be his fool -he MUST pay.
I will have him fly shortly to Miami,take a hotel and spend the same amount of money that he is to scam me for.
In the end I will let him know that he got scammed .
Don't need to advice me.I have presented him with all face photos and infos.
When he goes back he will tell his buddies that the tables got turned.
The jokes are on him!
 LIWOMAN1952
Msg: 142
Posted: 6/27/2010 4:24:36 PM
Good luck on that Ms.....Once you aproach him with your idea you will never hear from him again
 MsYesterday
Msg: 143
Posted: 7/2/2010 7:43:28 AM
Thanks-He will never get my real pic.....etc. I will make a point of
meeting him in a restaurant and just watch him waiting for my arrival......after he leaves he will get a pic of him from me and a note "How does it feel to be scammed and out of money"!!!
These people think that we here are stupid or something.....
no more!
 jeepwmn
Msg: 144
Posted: 7/3/2010 8:49:28 PM
Unfortunately, I have another story to add to this thread. I was a member of Yahoo personals, back in March, and this 40 year old man contacted me. He was pretty attractive, and said he had been here for about two weeks before business pulled him out of the country. We exchanged emails back and forth for a little while. .and he wanted my email address. .saying it would be easier to keep in touch that way. Well, I wish I'd read this thread or done a thread search at the time before I gave him my email address. No, thankfully, he never learned my last name. But we did exchange phone numbers. He said something about how one parent was from Australia, one from the UK, he graduated from the University in Australia, and his parents were killed in a car crash, and how he took over their business, which was the buying and selling of antiques and precious metals. He said he just got back from a trip to England, and was now in Nigeria. Oh, and that he didn't know when he was coming back here, but that he was doing all he could to make it back here. He didn't ask for money, though.
When I had him added on yahoo messenger, I took a look at his profile, and something didn't make sense. .it said "Virginia Beach, Virginia", as his location. He said he just came to the U.S. two weeks ago. Also, he was over the top with the terms of endearment, saying "Babe", "honey", "sweetie", "darling" Actually, he sent several texts from there, and called. .I actually picked up once out of curiousity, but the voice sounded nothing like someone from Australia or England, for that matter. That's when I started getting suspici0us. .and did a thread search. Confronted him about it. .and said he was convincing, but not convincing enough, and pointed out everything. I also said what one poster said to say. .I said I reported his ip address to the correct agency. I checked out his email address on spokeo and it said it appears to be a valid email address (paul_gascoil@yahoo.com). But, I wonder how they tell if it is valid or not?
 jeepwmn
Msg: 145
Posted: 7/4/2010 1:40:28 AM
Oh, my mistake. .I meant his yahoo messenger ID was paul_gascoil, and his email address was liveandletsdie@yahoo.com
 spokanepasco
Msg: 146
Posted: 7/4/2010 2:36:36 PM
Careful those spammers have moved on to other social networks and even pretend to be either gender
 2cld2hld
Msg: 147
Posted: 7/16/2010 8:18:04 AM
Let me add..i have one right now who is not giving up, his name is Samual Stetson and he goes by heavenvolet...he claims he was robbed and he has no money to pay his hotel bills, his son cody was apparently hospitalised with some illness caused by mosquito bites..I swear he has tried everything..I told him that I am aware of the scams.but he swears up and down, he has a home in somewhere US..He claimed that he was a victim of theft..all his jewelery was stolen, everything, and he was specific he wanted 1500 to come home and live with me.. he wanted the money sent to the hotel manager..when he realized I didnt bite, he said that he was getting kicked out of the hotel..his son can't go to school, he had nothing to eat..

One day he said that he was crying and sad all day because he was angry, he went to buy something with his credit card(apparently he forgot he told me he was robbed) and somehow he discovered his card was used by someone online...I was appalled by the audacity of these people who think that there are really gullible people who will send money to them....there's another one named David Gunnar, and Rock ceo....
 gousnavy
Msg: 148
Posted: 9/1/2010 9:16:47 PM
Once you determine they are a scammer, do not talk to them or tell them anything. They use your discussions with them to learn English, which makes them even more effective. By talking with them you are actually helping them become better at what they do. It also allows them to ask questions, which seem innocent, but they are fishing for information that they can use against you. Again, do not talk with them. If you suspect a scammer, delete them at once, block them and never look back. If you are contacted by anyone from Nigeria or Ghana (the two worst countries for scammers in my opion) just delete them, it is probably a scam.
 Discerning Virtuosa
Msg: 149
Posted: 9/4/2010 8:43:48 PM
They're all pretty easy to spot. I'm not worried. A couple of years ago I got one that contacted me about piano lessons. Everything he said just didn't add up, so I played along just to see how far he would take it. Sure enough a check arrived in the mail for thousands of dollars over the amount and I turned it over immediately to my neighbor who works for the FBI, along with print outs of all of his communication.
It was kind of fun, but I don't have time or patience for them really.
If you want a real good laugh, go to 419eaters.com - some really hilareous stories where the scammers get ridiculed and taken advantage of, which they SO deserve.
 sweetan6643
Msg: 150
Posted: 9/11/2010 9:52:19 PM
be very careful when they send you a "check" in the mail. I had one send me a check for $55,000.00. He said it was a bank draft. When i deposited it in the bank, they held it for seven days. It turned out to be counterfeit and the bank sent me a copy of it to prosecute the sender. I haven't heard from him since I told him I had contacted the authorities, his phone has been turned off and he no longer contacts me. Just a bit of friendly advice. Be wary of all people who ask you to take a check and send them any money back, it is a scam. scammers!!!!!
 sweetan6643
Msg: 151
Posted: 9/11/2010 9:56:55 PM
This sounds like a scammer who tried to scam me . His supposed name is Hassan Amptil. He had a profile on Plenty of fish and i fell for him hard. then he asked me for money, $10,000 to be exact. When i spoke to him he had an african accent and he never did get home. I told him I lost my job and didn't have any money and he quit talking to me. I also reported him to POF and they deleted his profile.
 BoazMate
Msg: 152
Posted: 9/12/2010 6:13:52 AM

This sounds like a scammer who tried to scam me . His supposed name is Hassan Amptil. He had a profile on Plenty of fish and i fell for him hard. then he asked me for money, $10,000 to be exact. When i spoke to him he had an african accent and he never did get home. I told him I lost my job and didn't have any money and he quit talking to me. I also reported him to POF and they deleted his profile.

It's so easy to spot them (the scammers)... their first email to you is addressed with a "dear" or "cutie" and then they tell you how beautiful you are; most times they are a widower (at such a young age!); and they lament about how the online dating thing is new to them, blah, blah, blah! And then they always post a photo of a very good looking--almost perfect--man (more than likely stolen off a male model website). I say if he looked that good, he'd be taken already! I write back and let them know that I KNOW that they are a scammer who might be in Nigeria hiding behind a computer and that they should never contact me again. When are they ever going to stop?!?
 VacationGuy234
Msg: 153
Posted: 12/22/2010 5:00:36 PM
Just got a Yahoo IM from a susanjackson2007: Said she found me on another dating site; that she was a banker; went to school in Florida, but was now in Nigeria, West Africa visiting her sick grandmother. Watch out for these guys, they are still very active.
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 154
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2010 5:17:54 PM

Just got a Yahoo IM from a susanjackson2007 ... Watch out for these guys, they are still very active.

a boy named sue
 Dan99993
Msg: 155
Posted: 12/22/2010 6:04:40 PM
There was this person from pof who sent me a message and asked to contact her on her yahoo address, it would be easier, etc.
whenever someone asks me to contact them on another messaging system, though I don't even know them yet, they immediately fall into the suspicious category. I usually don't respond

there are lots of other red flags.

ya got to be cautious and seek proof and believable things

a perfect stranger telling me I was selected because they know they can trust me and want me to transfer millions into another bank account... thanks for the laugh
 moonbeam52
Msg: 156
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2010 11:34:18 PM
Be very areful who you add onto messenger. If you run Dsl or Cable, your computer is on alot longer and they maybe able to get your personal info by highjacking. I had this happen to me but the arse was wanting who was on my messenger list and was talking to my pals. One pal realized something was amiss by the way words were used. I think it was a way to get folks to log onto a certain site and then get a bill on the next phone bill. My pal contacted me via phone and I had dialup at the time, I could not have been chatting and on phoneline at the same time.
 BlueTeaPot
Msg: 157
Posted: 7/1/2011 2:56:35 PM
I took me several messages before the penny dropped. I even had told him about the redundancy I am facing - just told this week - and funny enough....I get this - oh btw - he is supposedly on a project in Ghana -

Hello My Babe,

How are you doing today and how was your night?My day has been great and also sad aswel..I arrived Ghana safely and i got into my hotel room and slept till this morning..

I met with the company and i was taken to the project site so i cam start the work,I hired an interpretor who will help me translate from english to their local language because some of them dont understand english...

I also employed 25labourers who will help me with the work and also hire all the equipments and started the work today but i got soo sad when i realised towards 4pm that my wallet has been stolen..

I think someone stole my wallet which had all the money and my credit cards in it and now that has made me soo worried and sad because i dont have any money at all on me to feed or live on and thats not good for me....

I dont know who to contact for help,so i was wonderfing if you could please try and help me in the name of God by helping me with about 500GBP so that i can use that to feed until i get my contract payment and then i will give it to you back..

This help if 500GBP will be highly appreciated so please help me with that..How was your night and what do you have planned up for today?Have a wonderful day and God Bless You.
Richards

YEAH - OKAY....i SENT THIS TO HIM LAST NIGHT:

Dear Richard,

A couple of things. Here I am in New Zealand, facing redundancy from my job. Now journalism is not what one would call a well paying job so am unsure where you think I can get over a $1000 NZ dollars so quickly.

Second. I have asked repeatedly for you to send your photograph so that I could see with whom I am having email conversations with and you have ignored my request.

Which leads me to believe, that you do not want me to know who you are. Neither have you told me your company name. You have kept me in the dark and I am unsure as to your reasons.

Based on the information above, I must decline sending any funds in your direction.

You really must contact your bank and get this all figured out. If you have an American Express card or other credit cards, they will air express a new card to you quite promptly.

Take care Richard.
 ladywyatt
Msg: 158
Posted: 1/5/2012 8:54:20 AM
Yes Naomi you are right.
But they have always used Yahoo messenger. I never add anyone that just sends me an "add" request. I always know the people before I add them to YM.

I do think that POF does a pretty good job filtering out scammers but some do manage to crawl through the cracks.

I recieved a very nice intial contact from a man just a few days ago. When I responded he immediately sent his e mail address and requested that I contact him that way. I NEVER give my e mail address to strange men right away. I replied saying that I would prefer to communicate through POF for a bit first.

He disappeared...LOL...Another one bites the dust!
 911love
Msg: 159
Posted: 1/5/2012 11:29:34 AM
I had an issue with them on one of the paid sites, but never on POF. I even got my money back from the site becasue the site was over run with scammers. At first they did not want to give me a refund, but I convinced them it was the right thing to do! I can't believe people really fall for it! Their pages are so fake you can figure it out right away!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Apparently those Nigerian scammers are using Yahoo messenger now...