Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Would you date someone who is mentally ill??????      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ClooneysMentor
Msg: 115
Would you date someone who is mentally ill??????Page 13 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
My next victim will enjoy going to oblivion with me every damn night.

No pity party here babe. More like a teetee party.

I've got the wine.

Let's go comatose sweetie...
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 116
Would you date someone who is mentally ill??????
Posted: 8/22/2015 6:52:04 PM
There is that crazy/hotness equation.

Friend of mine tells the story about his girlfriend who cut his brake lines. He didn't dump her. You've got to be smokin' hot to be that crazy.
 ClooneysMentor
Msg: 117
Posted: 8/22/2015 9:57:49 PM
I've been fortunate in the crazy department.

I only got a bottle of wine on my patio and a friend request.

That's acceptable crazy :)
 CharminC
Msg: 118
Posted: 8/22/2015 10:23:40 PM

He didn't dump her. You've got to be smokin' hot to be that crazy.

Or damn good in the sack

only got a bottle of wine on my patio and a friend request.

*checks my patio
 sibyll01
Msg: 119
Posted: 8/27/2015 7:32:03 PM
A mental illness or mental disorder is a condition that impacts a person's thinking, feeling or mood may affect and his or her ability to relate to others and function on a daily basis. Each person will have different experiences, even people with the same diagnosis.
Define:"normal"? & Who among us is "normal" enough to decide who's "crazy"?
I actually much prefer the company of those who are a bit different, quirky, weird, & eccentric. Generally I have found those types who march to their drummer[s] to be more interesting, creative, intelligent, honest & sensitive than those- politically-correct, "normal" types.
Would I date some one affected with such a severe mental disorder, in which that person's thoughts, emotions, or behaviors are so abnormal & destructive as to cause suffering, injury, or harm to themselves or other people?
Duhhhhhhh...no please! lol!
 Shaedol
Msg: 120
Posted: 8/31/2015 1:30:23 AM
What if the individual is stable, continuing to improve on skills they may lack, and generally just seems very high functioning to the point you don't even notice. As well as being completely up front about it all in their profile (Feel free to use mine as an example)

I'm also curious, what if someones mental illness is in control, but due to the difficulties brought on by it, is unable to work full time. They are independent, stable, have future goals, a modest but stable income, and don't sit on their ass wallowing in pity all day. Is that person date able, or is the fact that they medically can't currently work a standard full-time job a deal breaker.
 SassyKatniss
Msg: 121
Posted: 9/5/2015 7:53:12 AM
Possibly. It depends what kind of mental illness they have and the level of functioning they are at. Some mental illnesses/disorders are actually rather quite prevalent in society, like anxiety and depression. Others are not so common. I think it would be rather difficult and possibly dangerous to date someone that has a psychotic type of disorder, especially if they are having accompanying hallucinations and delusions. I would avoid dating people who have the propensity to become a danger to me or others when they are suffering from a relapse/bad episode of mental illness. A lot don't cause them to become dangerous though, it's just disordered thinking and ideas etc.

I think it's important to be aware of the prevalence and the chance of improvement for the specific disorder the person has. Some are much harder to treat and would pretty much exist at some degree throughout the whole persons life. Some are more treatable with psychotherapy and other therapy methods. For example agoraphobia is treated best with gradual exposure type treatments and imaginal exposure treatments. The same with phobias (depending on the phobia).

I'm very open about mental health I face and I'd like and expect a partner to be the same. It's just very important to me. Since I have my own mental health issues which range in intensity it would be a bit hypocritical as well to not want to date anyone that suffers from mental health. I would try to not date people that have it at such a degree where they are a danger (as I mentioned) or are not functioning well.

Last thing is that with mental illness, it can sometimes go away but sometimes it may be constantly relapsing and possibly always be an issue. It's important to take that into consideration when dating someone with mental illness:
Could I or do I want to be with this person if they are going to be relapsing?

It's important to always be unconditionally accepting of the person you love or they will feel that if they are not constantly living up to your expectations, you won't love them anymore. It's not good, and it's bad for both people to put constant pressure on them and get disappointed in them when they have relapses and are suffering. Stressful and worrying for the person who is doing the worrying and upsetting for the person who is being judged for it.
 TrvstInKarma
Msg: 122
Posted: 9/5/2015 9:57:14 AM
Having just ended a relationship with someone with a personality disorder (NPD), I can answer that with a resounding NO. The hell this guy put me through is enough for a lifetime.
 ClooneysMentor
Msg: 123
The pot calling the kettle black
Posted: 9/5/2015 10:56:37 AM

You're so vain, you probably think this song is about you
You're so vain, I'll bet you think this song is about you
Don't you? don't you?
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 9/5/2015 11:27:14 AM
Look Clooney we lost and sacrificed dozens and got Katniss in return..she better win!
 Maleman999
Msg: 125
Posted: 9/5/2015 12:01:10 PM
^^^A-joe: Did you have a sex change operation?
 Maleman999
Msg: 126
Posted: 9/5/2015 5:33:08 PM
Sneaky-getting rid of the chick pics.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 127
view profile
History
Posted: 9/5/2015 5:47:25 PM
^^^No the system( Markus) deleted it..LOL

That is probably a civil rights violation.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 128
Posted: 9/5/2015 8:32:25 PM
Oluben- NAMI (National alliance for the mentally ill) is an excellent resource to understand both Alcoholism and bulimia.
Visit their site and type in either one and it will help you understand either better.
They are BOTH very difficult to treat and understand, you are not alone.
I have no personal experience with bulimia, but both of my parents are alcoholics. (my mother never recovered for long and died just a little over two years ago on my youngest sons 14th birthday, my father just recieved his 40 year recovery pin last October, this coming October will be 41 years, I am VERY proud of him).
 Maleman999
Msg: 129
Posted: 9/6/2015 10:29:08 AM
The first part of the post would also apply to the last part:
There is a lot of help out there for alcoholics (though I guess they have to want to get help)...
If I meet anyone with bulimia again this time I won't hesitate to try and get them professional help.

You can't try to help someone if they don't want to help themselves. Those are the types to stay away from.
 tequila157
Msg: 130
Posted: 9/8/2015 12:33:27 AM
Yes, as long as they are hot lol.
 sealady111
Msg: 131
Posted: 9/12/2015 1:15:26 AM
Knowingly? No.

Have I dated someone then found out that their mental illness is not what I am able to deal with ? Yes.
 rockin-trucker82
Msg: 132
Posted: 9/14/2015 5:18:15 AM
Everyone is "mentally ill" in some way. It really depends on what you mean by it. If it's someone with asperger's, then for a lot of people, dating them can be really hard. But if you're talking about an addiction, technically, if you have to have your coffee in the morning or you're in a terrible mood all day, you're addicted to a drug and mentally ill.

For most people, it's probably going to depend on what the illness is. But if you use the common definition of mental illness, none of us aren't mentally ill. It's actually become such a broad definition that it ended up including pretty much everyone.

But depression, anxiety, autism, bi-polar, schizophrenia, etc., the real mental illnesses, it's going to take a certain type of person to date someone with any of those. It's a type of patience and understanding that not everyone has
 JoeBnD
Msg: 133
Posted: 9/15/2015 8:59:55 AM

... best people to understand them are others in that situation too. They will understand all the symptoms and how you are feeling and you will understand them also. It's a mutual bonding thing usually ...

The key word in the above has to be usually, although I would even disagree with that. My mother and I both suffered with depression, and after my divorce I did not want to live with her because I knew just what would happen. The only bonding that I wanted was my hands around her throat as she took every opportunity to degrade me when she didn't get what she wanted. She would ask to go shopping, then complain the entire time she was there that she couldn't see or hear; we would get back home from that disaster and in ten minutes she would want to go shopping again. If refused, she would say "I know why your wife divorced you." When I locked her out of my room, she would continually pound on the door, and even told me she was laying down on the floor and wouldn't be able to get back up because of her bad hip.

Dating someone else like that? Not for me.
 JoeBnD
Msg: 134
Posted: 9/15/2015 9:34:32 AM
Yes, I can see how it actually is a good thing with those who have social anxiety; just like my best buddy and I.
 Witnesstomythoughts
Msg: 135
Posted: 9/15/2015 9:37:11 AM

Pffft - we're ALL mentally ill to a certain extent

It's like some people are alcoholics and some are FUNCTIONING alcoholics

...ya dig ?

Well said sir !
 ccourier51
Msg: 136
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2015 1:49:32 PM
I use to. Many years ago and it was no picnic. So I broke up with her.
 Patrick45015
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2015 11:28:23 PM
I have anxiety and on meds. My girlfriend is on meds for depression. We have been dating over 2 years. It's never been an issue. It's by far the best relationship I've ever been in
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Would you date someone who is mentally ill??????