Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Would you date someone who is mentally ill??????      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 katseyes
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Would you date someone who is mentally ill??????Page 4 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
Spu-ri-ous
1. not genuine, authentic, or true; not from the claimed, pretended, or proper source; counterfeit.
2. Biology. (of two or more parts, plants, etc.) having a similar appearance but a different structure.
3. of illegitimate birth; **stard.

incase anyone else was curious..lol
 katseyes
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Would you date someone who is mentally ill??????
Posted: 8/6/2007 10:54:35 AM
thanks alzandra..I wish more people would be more understanding..and I think you tried listing names of famous people to show that there are people who we view everyday on tv and the big screen that function well..so why can't the average girl or guy next door?..I thank you for trying..but as you can see no matter what you try and post on this thread, and what you advocate out in our society ,nothing is going to change for our rights..and this is why most of us hide it..and most of the time people are not treated in time(suicide) with bipolar because they are too afraid of being prosecuited for it..and like for instance what is happening with my work..I have been told by my union members to watch everything I do..because I have been targetted by my company of 8 years..they too believe that having a mental disorder like bipolar makes me unwanted as an employee..more then likely because of the cost of my medical due to the monthly prescriptions that as we all know is a lifetime thing..not to mention when I was first diagnosed I missed 7 weeks on sick leave ..the doctors trying to figure out what was wrong..and what meds to treat it..at first these pills make you awful sick...
It is really sad the average person is fearful of us..but something that I don't see changing anytime soon..

FAQ - Freedom of Speech

JustKelly70
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 8/6/2007 11:27:44 AM
alzandra, I did'nt know it was classified as a disease, Really though it's niether here nor there, Its a disorder people need to understand that do and don't have it. Hope people reading this thread will look at things a different way, Sure its just a thread on a dating site but to those that read it maybe they will understand and pass on the message.
 JustKelly70
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 8/6/2007 1:40:37 PM
Worse things than being bipolar, What about the guy or gal that is suposidly normal that has a few drinks at a bar and gets into a fight for no reason. Usually a guy but I don't want to generalize. We have all seen that I'm sure, And what about the insecure jelouse people, I've dated one , Holy macinaw, Loved her but was constantly kept tabs on. Then there are the psychos that are just messed up, gotta be an undiagnosed illness there, When it comes down to it I know who my friends are, And would do anything for them. Just my simple nature I guess or maybe I'm just human and hold some compassion unlike others.
 katseyes
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2007 7:58:55 PM
boy this thread ran out of steam fast..lol..is everyone depressed?
 * Succinct *
Msg: 81
Posted: 8/11/2007 5:54:56 PM
an outrageous question, its common knowledge that everyone on POF is mentally ill.
 Raimu
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2007 8:16:31 PM
As much as my common sense tells me not to touch this one with a 10 foot poll, I'm going to have to say that it depends.

If the person has excepted thier mental illness, is able to function with it, and doesn't use it as a crutch or an excuse for all her problems, then why not?

If they're not able to function, or they use it as a pitty grab, then no.

I had a crush on somebody with DID...Both of her personalities XD
 cotter
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2007 8:34:42 PM

an outrageous question, its common knowledge that everyone on POF is mentally ill.
ROTH LMFAO ... Leave it to "* succinct * to come up with that one ... too funny.

I would not consider dating someone who is mentally ill ... even if I didn't work with them (I am the primary nurse and continuity nurse for the psych unit at the jail I work in). I already knew I'd never again date someone who is mentally ill before I started my job.

I was in a 5-year relationship with a man who had borderline depression and he did not take medications. I do not want to ever experience that again. I never knew from one day to the next what I was going to be facing when I went home at night. Sometimes days would go by and he would barely speak to me. I knew it was nothing I did to bring it on, but doggone it, after a while it just gets to be too much to deal with.

I do have a lot of admiration for anyone who is in a relationship with someone who has mental problems. I've known married couples who find out after many years of marriage there is a problem and they do stick it out with their spouse. I think I'd be able to do that, but to knowingly go into a relationship from the git go ... no thanks ... I'd rather be by myself the rest of my life. I wouldn't have the strength to deal with that any more at my age.
 JustKelly70
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 8/14/2007 10:11:58 AM
Born, I'm glad your friend did benifit in someway reading this thread, Just ignor the negative comments. I think I made a joke when it first started, Did'nt intend it to hurt someone and I don't think that are anyone elses intentions here either. They just don't see the big picture.
 Brownlady1953
Msg: 85
Posted: 1/13/2009 8:49:17 PM
BeHappy57, I think you are way off base....I doubt that those who are living with Schizophrenia are doing it "just to get full medical benefits, etc..."

Have you ever heard of neurobiology? Many mental illnesses are neurobiological in nature....very few young people who have promising careers give those up to "pretend" to be mentally ill.....
 briargate
Msg: 86
Posted: 1/14/2009 12:30:49 PM

Worse things than being bipolar, What about the guy or gal that is suposidly normal that has a few drinks at a bar and gets into a fight for no reason.

That sounds like an anger management issue, and it being a behavioral problem, much harder to treat in general. Of course many bipolars have the condition plus the anger management issues layered on top. Weeeee!
 Cynderella
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2009 2:43:32 PM
Are we not all mental to some degree?

I am completely nuts and they still keep flocking...

Answer YES and I would certainly educate myself as to what I was in store for and to better see whether it was in me to making it a long term relationship or not.
 stephaniezowie
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2009 11:34:02 PM
If the person has a grip on it. You can almost always tell who does and who is letting it ruin them.
I doubt anyone of us can claim absolute mental sanity. We all have depression and crazy feelings at times.
No reason to hold against anyone. If it doesn't seem to improve after a while though well I say let them work it out alone.

I'm too old to babysit adults.
 Katietxgirl
Msg: 89
Posted: 1/15/2009 5:39:08 PM
No, I would not. I know some people think this sounds cruel and only horrible people would walk away from someone they liked/loved because he/she is mentally ill. I've been there, though, and some people can suck the life out of you.

Several years ago, I dated a man I now believe was mentally ill. He was not diagnosed, but I am sure he was bipolar. When I met him, he wanted to go out every night of the week. He was happy-go-lucky. But then he started acting weird. He would send me flowers and break up with me the next day. He couldn't keep a job or stay in school. He would be happy with our relationship, but then he would have some huge crises (most of which were his own imagination). He would sleep for hours and not take showers for days. He would call me at work and tell me he was breaking up with me or insist we figure out some crises of his.

I finally told him to go away and NEVER call me again. I loved him dearly, but I just couldn't take it. When I look back, I can't believe I wasted a year of my life on him. So before thinking I'm heartless for saying no to dating someone with a mental illness, remember that some of us have tried everything possible to be happy with someone who just couldn't control their emotions or be happy with themselves. Relationships are hard enough without dealing with people who have significant problems.
 lconnor77698
Msg: 90
Posted: 2/3/2009 11:01:54 AM
What would you call a man who sends out this email to women??

look u f------ b---- i have met plenty of women but they are dumb as f--- just like u are making up these stupid excuses to nice guys like me who actually are looking for something good, and do treat ladies properly until they piss you off because they are so stupid just like you, and as far as anything else goes, you would have been a person I would have f----d in the dark and that would have been it cause you are too damn ugly for my taste anyway, so go on with your fat ass pathetic life you loser b---h from hell

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

arealman22
 lconnor77698
Msg: 91
Posted: 2/3/2009 11:02:55 AM
What would you call a man who sends out this email to women??

look u f------ b---- i have met plenty of women but they are dumb as f--- just like u are making up these stupid excuses to nice guys like me who actually are looking for something good, and do treat ladies properly until they piss you off because they are so stupid just like you, and as far as anything else goes, you would have been a person I would have f----d in the dark and that would have been it cause you are too damn ugly for my taste anyway, so go on with your fat ass pathetic life you loser b---h from hell

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

arealman22
 magpiemanboy
Msg: 92
Posted: 3/3/2010 1:03:20 PM
so your saying all of us mentally ill poeple should give up hope on finding any kind of love, so i guess thats the end of that then, no wonder poeple comit suicide every hour,
sad stuff
 Cape Sunshine
Msg: 93
Posted: 3/3/2010 5:12:24 PM
No... men are already out there in the mind department.
 Cape Sunshine
Msg: 94
Posted: 3/3/2010 5:30:01 PM

Definitely not but I would date someone who is crazy.

Well your bipolar anyways. Crazy I bet suits you....
 LG2727
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2010 6:40:45 PM
absolutely not, my first husband became a paranoid schizophrenic a year after we were married, it was like living in a nightmare 24 hrs a day. My daughters mother-in-law is ,I think, bi-polar, she switches from normal to b**** on wheels in the blink of an eye, she freaks me out, cant even be in the same room with this woman. I can spot abnormal behavior a mile away now, so not in this life time! Just talked to a guy from here, very sweet, very nice, but.....he has adult attention deficit disorder, drove me nutz just trying to talk to him over the phone.
 shadowkitten
Msg: 96
Posted: 3/3/2010 9:17:06 PM
personally, i'd have no prob. w/ someone who was bipolar, or depressed, etc. b/c i've dated several people who had NO diagnosed "issues" - who were not date-able just the way they were; whereas, i know several bipolar indiv's who are well-rounded folks. all-in-all, everyone has their problems - it really depends on you and what you can and cannot handle

peace, mes amis!
 kyle77357
Msg: 97
Posted: 4/8/2011 5:11:20 PM
well im diagnised with a mentall illness.. i joined this site just to post to this forum. yes im autistic. yet every girl i ever dated said i was special and neveer forget me. women often say they wish they stopped being used for sex. but you women are the ones giving in and opening your legs. yet you have the ignorance to think all mentally ill are crazy folk who drown kids. yes i agree many mentally ill arnt ready for a marrige..but going around saying untrue things about a disorder. when you meet a new spouse and he admits he has a mental illness.. and you run..whos the one with the messed up heart..no wonder our economy is about to shut down..people have shown me time and time again that they are cold and heartless..we failed to learn from the romans..and because of our own imorality we will fail to be a great nation in the future.
Msg: 98
Posted: 4/8/2011 6:15:31 PM
Wow I pity the mentally ill.It's almost like most people think we should put them all in a box and leave them by the side of the road somewhere.

Would I date someone who is mentally ill? Yes if they had it under control and were doing something about it.
 fanciness
Msg: 99
Posted: 4/8/2011 6:21:14 PM
Only if they knew that they were mentally ill and were on medication or took steps to take care of their emotional well being. Unfortunately there are many people who put others through hell because they don't want to deal with the problems in their own heads.
 starzgirl72
Msg: 100
Posted: 4/8/2011 7:05:43 PM
No way would I ever knowingly date someone who was mentally ill whether they were medicated or not. I dated someone who was bipolar and ADHD and that was enough for me to know that I'm not cut out to deal with that sort of stuff in my life.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Would you date someone who is mentally ill??????