Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Would you date someone who is mentally ill??????      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 magicallaroundme
Msg: 101
Would you date someone who is mentally ill??????Page 5 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
Ideally, I would not know because it is none of my business. If someone blurted it out then I would have to decide how to answer her. I would hope what I decide is based upon her actual behaviors and not on some prejudice of my own.
 ladyc4
Msg: 102
Would you date someone who is mentally ill??????
Posted: 4/9/2011 4:20:45 PM
Julietsdream
Did the guy actually have a bonafide diagnosis of a mental,emotional, personality or mood disorder( or some combination thereof)?
To me it sounds more like he's just one of those waste-of-skin pimples on the ass of the Universe.
I don' suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it-but I don't accept diagnosis,counseling or advice from psycho-babbling amateurs who are trying to run an agenda.
Why did you spend one more minute on this joker after he started trying to jerk you around?
Cindy O
 davidtrainerread
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2012 10:33:59 AM
so true.....and this is the 2nd comment i've responded to that you're made...interesting.
 Perspektiv
Msg: 104
Posted: 11/9/2012 1:35:30 PM
I would *definitely* not do so again.

It's emotionally, and physically draining to be in such a relationship, and unless they're getting help for their condition, most aren't trained to deal with certain levels of mental problems. They become that much harder to deal with it, when you're in love with them, and you have to realize they're not hurting you because of who they are, but because of their condition. No matter how much you love them, it will eventually wear on you (especially so, if they refuse to get help for their condition, or you realize there is little that can be done about it).

I've done it in one relationship, and the one was enough for me--it's become a deal-breaker.
 Waterl
Msg: 105
Posted: 11/11/2012 3:29:16 PM
There are so many mental illnesses that vary and so many people that suffer from them. I would date a person with one depending what the illness is. Only if it's severe would I not for my own mental health.
 SuperStar6872
Msg: 106
Posted: 2/8/2013 1:52:58 PM
Two Words ....................HELL NO
 sleeperking30
Msg: 107
Posted: 2/24/2013 2:17:55 AM
call me stupid or silly
but if i like someone enough to date them
i will stick by them out of princeble
and will not leave them because of a disability

loyality and honesty is all i expect from a partner

and reading all these reponse has me a little sad.

but to each their own
 Amy1022
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2013 4:35:05 PM
I was friends with a man who was/is mentally ill. I kind of fell for him. He was my best friend--believe it or not. I felt as if I could talk to him about anything. Because of his own mental illness, we are no longer friends. Not my fault either--he just saw what was happening to us differently. But that's life.
 JohnnyVegas007
Msg: 109
Posted: 2/26/2013 8:38:03 PM
ok here is the tricky part with your question because there are mire than one type of bi polar and there are several other and more severe types and with some they are not not outwardly apparent or good candidates to date. I personally dated one girl i have to mention who had ODD which is as odd as it sounds Oppositional Defiance Disorder which is exactly what it sounds like which means when you say up they say down and when you say i dont want sex they say that they want it. yes reverse psychology worked but the problem was that as weird as its gonna sound I could not get used to it so needless to day it didnt work out. I would avoid sociopaths and people whi refuse treatment and anyone whos schizo or if someone tells you they hear voices yeah thats a definite risk factor lol
 wishingwoman
Msg: 110
Posted: 2/27/2013 9:21:45 PM
I have been living with a man who is mentally ill. We are breaking up and he is looking for a place to live. I have found out that he is bi-polar. But he is also kinda dangerous and mean when things don't go his way. Oh yeah...he is on POF and has been for about 3-4 weeks. I wouldn't advise dating someone with serious mental problems. If I had known I would have not done it myself. I didn't realize until 8 months into the relationship.
 Cbsfinest540
Msg: 111
Posted: 8/22/2015 7:16:03 AM
Greetings, many of you talk about dating someone with a mental illness as if you are the victim in the relationship and the burden is on you. It's not. You feel free to leave when ever you want while the person with the illness can not escape it. I agree that the person with the mental illness should be interested in their own well being and willing to manage their illness, but many mentally ill people are perfectly capable of taking care of themselves and living on their own. Maybe someone dating them enjoys providing care and feeling needed. It doesn't mean they had to put life on the back burner to take care of their mate with mental illness. Also many of you don't realize how the tables could turn and you develop a mental illness. Many of you are undiagnosed yourself and so were your parents. I understand there are severe cases in many instances and many of you have had bad experienced with the mentally ill, but you can't lump the mentally ill into one group and not acknowledge their individuality. If you had a family member or even a child with mental illness you would have to deal with them. You can't run away from your family/child so why do any of you think you are too good for someone with a mental illness? Perhaps it is a test of your own strength, health, and stability if you are ever in a position to get aquatinted with someone with a mental illness.
 Whatsamatterbaby
Msg: 112
Posted: 8/22/2015 10:20:19 AM

Many of you are undiagnosed yourself

Haha! Ain't that the truth.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 8/22/2015 1:34:15 PM
Date one? I was married to one.

She kept her big bazoo shut about what bothered her before, and after we got married. For several years. It started showing up in dribs and drabs. At first, I catered to her. Then I put up with it. Sending her to therapy helped some. Then Dr Phil became popular, and then some of her problems were really my problems. Or so she thought. I should always be in "First date mode"? Ignore everything else and do for her alone? When the end came, I was ready to be out.

I learned to steer clear of "Hopeless Romantics" Some of you women might think it's a cute way to describe yourself. It's fine, for a while. But, life gets in the way. Things demand attention. And I've met women that want the romance, but do nothing in return. It's a two way street.

I'll back away from the mentally unstable ones. I don't want to re-live that again.
 Witnesstomythoughts
Msg: 114
Posted: 8/22/2015 1:56:08 PM
Pffft - we're ALL mentally ill to a certain extent

It's like some people are alcoholics and some are FUNCTIONING alcoholics

...ya dig ?
 ClooneysMentor
Msg: 115
Posted: 8/22/2015 6:42:15 PM
My next victim will enjoy going to oblivion with me every damn night.

No pity party here babe. More like a teetee party.

I've got the wine.

Let's go comatose sweetie...
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 116
Posted: 8/22/2015 6:52:04 PM
There is that crazy/hotness equation.

Friend of mine tells the story about his girlfriend who cut his brake lines. He didn't dump her. You've got to be smokin' hot to be that crazy.
 ClooneysMentor
Msg: 117
Posted: 8/22/2015 9:57:49 PM
I've been fortunate in the crazy department.

I only got a bottle of wine on my patio and a friend request.

That's acceptable crazy :)
 CharminC
Msg: 118
Posted: 8/22/2015 10:23:40 PM

He didn't dump her. You've got to be smokin' hot to be that crazy.

Or damn good in the sack

only got a bottle of wine on my patio and a friend request.

*checks my patio
 sibyll01
Msg: 119
Posted: 8/27/2015 7:32:03 PM
A mental illness or mental disorder is a condition that impacts a person's thinking, feeling or mood may affect and his or her ability to relate to others and function on a daily basis. Each person will have different experiences, even people with the same diagnosis.
Define:"normal"? & Who among us is "normal" enough to decide who's "crazy"?
I actually much prefer the company of those who are a bit different, quirky, weird, & eccentric. Generally I have found those types who march to their drummer[s] to be more interesting, creative, intelligent, honest & sensitive than those- politically-correct, "normal" types.
Would I date some one affected with such a severe mental disorder, in which that person's thoughts, emotions, or behaviors are so abnormal & destructive as to cause suffering, injury, or harm to themselves or other people?
Duhhhhhhh...no please! lol!
 Shaedol
Msg: 120
Posted: 8/31/2015 1:30:23 AM
What if the individual is stable, continuing to improve on skills they may lack, and generally just seems very high functioning to the point you don't even notice. As well as being completely up front about it all in their profile (Feel free to use mine as an example)

I'm also curious, what if someones mental illness is in control, but due to the difficulties brought on by it, is unable to work full time. They are independent, stable, have future goals, a modest but stable income, and don't sit on their ass wallowing in pity all day. Is that person date able, or is the fact that they medically can't currently work a standard full-time job a deal breaker.
 SassyKatniss
Msg: 121
Posted: 9/5/2015 7:53:12 AM
Possibly. It depends what kind of mental illness they have and the level of functioning they are at. Some mental illnesses/disorders are actually rather quite prevalent in society, like anxiety and depression. Others are not so common. I think it would be rather difficult and possibly dangerous to date someone that has a psychotic type of disorder, especially if they are having accompanying hallucinations and delusions. I would avoid dating people who have the propensity to become a danger to me or others when they are suffering from a relapse/bad episode of mental illness. A lot don't cause them to become dangerous though, it's just disordered thinking and ideas etc.

I think it's important to be aware of the prevalence and the chance of improvement for the specific disorder the person has. Some are much harder to treat and would pretty much exist at some degree throughout the whole persons life. Some are more treatable with psychotherapy and other therapy methods. For example agoraphobia is treated best with gradual exposure type treatments and imaginal exposure treatments. The same with phobias (depending on the phobia).

I'm very open about mental health I face and I'd like and expect a partner to be the same. It's just very important to me. Since I have my own mental health issues which range in intensity it would be a bit hypocritical as well to not want to date anyone that suffers from mental health. I would try to not date people that have it at such a degree where they are a danger (as I mentioned) or are not functioning well.

Last thing is that with mental illness, it can sometimes go away but sometimes it may be constantly relapsing and possibly always be an issue. It's important to take that into consideration when dating someone with mental illness:
Could I or do I want to be with this person if they are going to be relapsing?

It's important to always be unconditionally accepting of the person you love or they will feel that if they are not constantly living up to your expectations, you won't love them anymore. It's not good, and it's bad for both people to put constant pressure on them and get disappointed in them when they have relapses and are suffering. Stressful and worrying for the person who is doing the worrying and upsetting for the person who is being judged for it.
 TrvstInKarma
Msg: 122
Posted: 9/5/2015 9:57:14 AM
Having just ended a relationship with someone with a personality disorder (NPD), I can answer that with a resounding NO. The hell this guy put me through is enough for a lifetime.
 ClooneysMentor
Msg: 123
The pot calling the kettle black
Posted: 9/5/2015 10:56:37 AM

You're so vain, you probably think this song is about you
You're so vain, I'll bet you think this song is about you
Don't you? don't you?
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 9/5/2015 11:27:14 AM
Look Clooney we lost and sacrificed dozens and got Katniss in return..she better win!
 Maleman999
Msg: 125
Posted: 9/5/2015 12:01:10 PM
^^^A-joe: Did you have a sex change operation?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Would you date someone who is mentally ill??????