Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Men who live in Trailers, Buses and RVs      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 acuddler
Msg: 60
Men who live in Trailers, Buses and RVsPage 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Many of those men who live in trailers/RVs/buses are extremely rich, world famous: authors, movie stars, movie directors, movie producers, eccentric heirs to billion dollar family fortunes, etc. They enjoy the outdoors, and travel, and so live on the road. The fact that they may be here today, and gone tomorrow, is-along with their wealth-part of their charm. Some get married, and some do not. What is to be uneasy about? Many guys who live in non-mobile homes do not commit for the long term. Look at the divorce rate for proof.
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 61
Men who live in Trailers, Buses and RVs
Posted: 1/5/2010 12:45:37 PM

Many of those men who live in trailers/RVs/buses are extremely rich, world famous: authors, movie stars, movie directors, movie producers, eccentric heirs to billion dollar family fortunes, etc.

?????
Define "many".
And then name one.
I know LOTS of rich people, and not a one of them lives in a trailer, RV, or bus ( or van down by the river).

The only people I know that go around the country in a such vehicles are either nurses or retirees who sold their other home so they could do this. Not rich people. And I have heard tell of rich people SAYING they are tournig around the country in a bus, but actually are flying.

I wouldn't mind such a [trailer] lifestyle, frankly. I don't need much, and I like the fact that it would pretty much HAVE to be kept clean and neat else it won't fit.
 valenciacityx
Msg: 62
Posted: 1/5/2010 1:40:04 PM
Same square footage, but put it on the water in a boat, and suddenly its exotic ;)
Fine by me. spent 20 years out with the Navy. I would do a houseboat/boathouse before I ever did a house. And if mobile scares ya.... we wouldnt get along any way, travelling is one of my favorite things. kinda hard to do that if you arent willing to be mobile.
Nesting is for birds and Matrojske dolls.
 el lagarto
Msg: 63
Posted: 1/5/2010 2:23:05 PM
I think it's just you - deciding to stereotype, and be biased against a certain group of people without seeing the whole picture. To your credit - at least you're willing to hear other's opinions and stories !

I have a good male friend who is 55. After he was pretty much cleaned out in a divorce - he's lost the urge to own alot of stuff - so he bought a 2 bdrm trailer in a small park . He has a good, long time steady job and is saving a major bundle by living there . It's very comfortable, with good neighbors , and a convenient location .

If I didn't already have a house of my own - I'd be mighty tempted to downsize to a similar living arrangement - it makes all kinds of good sense ! AND yes - if you decide you want a new neighborhood , you CAN have your trailer moved. Though most people never do - as the cost is fairly steep , and very often folks are quite content where they are !

So relax , and try not to rule someone out based on their choice of homes !
 Twilightslove
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2010 8:59:23 PM
One of my brothers purchased a travel trailer a couple of years ago. He left a good job with health care and moved to a small mountainous community in New Mexico. It took him well over a year of looking for a job; getting to know the people of the community before he got his first part time job there. Then, the only reason he got the job was because the owner happened to be from San Antonio which is where my brother had moved from. After working a year for the woman and doing house cleaning with another woman he was offered another opportunity working in a hardware store. The hardware store was another part time job yet the owners were older and had just purchased it as a retirement decision. They really wanted to do some traveling so they made my brother store manager.

My brother didn't buy the travel trailer to travel. He purchased it to conserve his savings while he established himself. He loves the area. It is almost like living a tourist life yet he is working for a living just like most people today and wants to stay there permanently.

He isn't on plenty of fish but he is looking for a nice woman to settle down with. He's 58, a gentleman, and still nice looking.
 acuddler
Msg: 65
Posted: 1/6/2010 1:46:55 AM
Michael Rockefeller lived in a trailer in the wilds of Borneo/etc for much of his life...until he left it to go stay temporarily in the jungle with some native pals...who killed, and ate, him so they would forever have a part of him in themselves. John Candy lived in a trailer on a movie set until he ate himself to death. A number of Saudi Princes actually spend more time living in trailers, and yachts, than in palaces. It lets them travel freely, and makes it harder to assassinate them.
 m14shooter
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2010 1:48:17 AM

I've discovered that there are a ton of men who choose to live in trailers, Buses and RVs. Is this a growing trend or has it been the state of affairs for some time and I've just been unaware?

As a single woman looking to meet a single man to date, it concerns me because I feel very nervous about the idea of dating a man who's home could be mobile and 'outa here' at the drop of a hat.

Makes me think the prospect of Long Term Relationship is not an option.

Is it just me or does this make anyone else uneasy?

Probably some of them have only the rv after the divorce. Sitting in one right now on vacation that cost more than my house 3 times over. There are million dollar rv's and busses out there. Buddy of mine bought one at Barret Jackson a while back for 1.5 mil, it is really nice.
 m14shooter
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2010 2:37:04 AM

Define "many".
And then name one.
I know LOTS of rich people, and not a one of them lives in a trailer, RV, or bus ( or van down by the river).

The only people I know that go around the country in a such vehicles are either nurses or retirees who sold their other home so they could do this. Not rich people. And I have heard tell of rich people SAYING they are tournig around the country in a bus, but actually are flying.

I wouldn't mind such a [trailer] lifestyle, frankly. I don't need much, and I like the fact that it would pretty much HAVE to be kept clean and neat else it won't fit.

I am on vacation and I am surrounded by hundreds if not a thousand motor homes and busses that start at 150K and go up to over a million. Most of the people that are here are rich and show it. Then there are the 100K sand rails and other exotic toys and the 100K trailers they haul them in. The guy next to me is a movie producer and lives in his motor home in Malibu on the beach on a million dollar lot. He also has a lot in Arizona on the river where he drives his home to as well, actually he pays someone to drive it here and he flies one of his jets. I could say who he is but I wont as I do work for him, if he is working he is in the rv. He is a well known producer and lives in a rv, he has a guest rv parked next to his. He has a nice ranch or two but lives in the rv when he is shooting a movie. His ranch is a lot of acres but the interior of the rv is much nicer than the interior of his ranch. He would have no problem finding a woman to bang him in his rv. I know for a fact he is worth over 500 million.

There are also several well know actors here, entertainment attorneys, writers, race car drivers, race team owners, producers, home builders, doctors and so on. We are all playing in the dunes and having a blast and there is a lot of rich people that do this. None of us would consider a hotel, it is rv all the way.

I also have a client that lives on a plane 5 days a week and full time on international trips, a Boeing 777 and he has no problem getting laid either. He has a fleet of rv's too. His family loves the rv lifestyle but eat and travel well.

You probably know a bunch of 100,000 or 200,000 dollar millionaires, they are paying for a million dollar property and think they are rich. There are some really wealthy rv owners that travel the country in them but you are not likely to run into them at the rv parks most people stay at. I have photographed quite a few resorts for the rich rv set and the resorts are really nice and can run into the thousand a night plus for a hookup.
 FyrKrakn
Msg: 68
Posted: 4/3/2011 11:41:09 AM
My idea of a dream house has changed a lot over the years. With the nest growing empty, I am happy with a vintage RV done artist style and a cool shack for my studio. That's my plan and I will have it paid for within a year, the lots they sit on, too. I don't like needing a mortage to satisfy other's idea of what I must do.

It wouldn't bother me a bit if I were still looking for the man of my dreams if he had an RV. He could pay me lot rent.
 gardenias2
Msg: 69
Posted: 4/3/2011 12:16:35 PM
here's my trailer story: in my early 20's i bought a piece of land in a remote undeveloped area of hawaii. frieghted out a truck with a deluxe cab-over camper. took off the camper...instant home. it was illegal to live in it but i didn't care because it was so remote the officals almost never came that way. i got red tagged once by the building dept but they never did a follow up. fast forward to now....25 years later living on the same piece of land, but now i'm civilized living in a house. then, no thanks to oprah and donald trump going on national media and promoting my area, grrrrr.....it has been recently "discovered" and is being hugely developed even with this lousy economy i hear bulldozers everyday. they call me the pioneer and i get lots of respect like it was such a big deal haha! i was just having fun!

not everyone is transient in a trailer.
 ALMOSTABLONDE
Msg: 70
Posted: 4/3/2011 5:49:41 PM
I once dated a guy who got a great deal on 10 acres w/ a mobile home thaat had a room added on w/ a woodstove & wrap around deck, plus a separate structure that had a 3 car garage, a workshop & a studio apt. upstairs from that. The previous owner was an actor, Barton Heyman, who in his career was in over 70 movies/TV shows, including the exorcist. Scripts (autographed) & other goodies were found in the closet & shed. The property was not too far from Woodstock, NY & purchased for $40,000 at least 10 years ago. What a great investment!!!

Barton used it as his lovenest w/ his Mistress, it was far enuf away from NYC, but not too far....after he passed, his son sat on the property bec. he lived in CALI, & just sold it to not have to pay taxes on it w/o coming out to NY to get a gander of it all
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2011 7:34:34 PM
I would think anyone who lived in a Trailer, a Bus, AND an RV, would HAVE to have big bucks.
I've seen some nice trailers, and some nice trailer park areas, here in the D.C. area. I wouldn't mind moving to one if I could radically cut my expenses, and the fantasy (usually not actually possible) of being able to up and drive away could be cool.
 FyrKrakn
Msg: 72
Posted: 4/6/2011 7:45:28 PM
I just bought a vintage rv, a big one, needs only a little work. It'll be my crash shack close to work when I am doing extra shifts. People have various reasns for their choices, it might make so much sense to you that the guy leaves you feeling more secure due to his sound reasoning and cleverness.

I also just bought the base on wheels for my 32 foot long dream house, it's a wood gypsy wagon with the arched roof. Perfect for wacky me when my nest is empty.
 carolann0308
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2011 1:08:29 PM
I'm a bit of a snob myself, I've been to campgrounds with my kids and have seen the really expensive RVs but to me it was like vacationing in a parking lot. Not my style.

But I understand it is simply a different lifestyle and attitude. I've learned over the years to never judge a person's wealth on what they drive or where they live. One only has to look at the number of celebrities that are in hock to the IRS for millions and in foreclosure to know most things that are showy are definitely there for show.
 Dancing_4_You
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2011 12:12:00 AM
i imagine since this thread first started, a lot more are doing the same in light of the economy! living in a vacation area, there are many people near me living in rv's. some are second homes. some qualify for mortgages as homes, i believe. many singles as well as couples are retiring and roaming around checking out the countryside. this way is less expensive.

some are also more amenable to settling into an area, should they meet their match. i imagine you can investigate a person further if it came to that. some actually do have money. but are airing out their dreams of travel. again, many retired couples are doing this as well. at some point, they might settle down when they find their ideal spot.
 ALMOSTABLONDE
Msg: 75
Posted: 4/9/2011 7:32:08 AM

I also just bought the base on wheels for my 32 foot long dream house, it's a wood gypsy wagon with the arched roof. Perfect for wacky me when my nest is empty
i love those tumblrweed tiny homes & caravan houses...i have quite a few in my "favs"
 rmd8988
Msg: 76
Posted: 4/10/2011 5:47:28 AM
I see this tread was started in 2007, the height of the real estate boom.
With so many houses underwater with no chance of appreciation, a trailer might start looking good to some people, male and female.
 seg4
Msg: 77
Posted: 5/9/2013 12:33:54 PM
I'm about to be one. I love traveling around to neat places. Meeting new and interesting folks and leaving behind neighbors i don't like is all fine by me. I have zero debt and money to live how I want. I am retired and 53...so there's your proof

G
Posted: 5/9/2013 10:33:29 PM
I think sometimes living in a trailer, bus, or r.v. isn't so much to be mobile or not committed to a place, but it's to be creative in addressing how complicated some of the obstacles can be for having something more these days. And it's to remain flexible, and so survivable, in a changing economy and job market. Myself, I want to just live out in the wilderness. Sometimes I think about how I can get stranded and lost in one. There I'd be answerable more to just myself than someone else or the worsening legal/financial protocols in how to go about functioning in a city. Couldn't worry about being fired, having enough education, paying rent. And I'm getting damn tired of not being able to hear the crickets, the rain, or see the stars. It's very unhealthy for us to be so out of touch with the wilderness that bore us into being. But it's so funny that to find a true wilderness, or uninhabited island, and get there without anybody knowing who might ruin your party, would cost almost a fortune itself. And, I don't want to do it alone anyway. At least not without a woman. I might not be able to survive anyway if I had to go full ninja-wilderness-man.
 kari135
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 5/10/2013 7:25:50 PM
So far in my life I've lived in houses, apartments, other peoples' houses, trailers, RVs, a 36' travel trailer, a cab-over camper, and if I could still drive, I'd be back in an RV - probably living at least part of the year in Slab City. It all depends on where you are in life, and what your most pressing needs are. And I owned at least half of the above, rented some, paid for rooms in some. Considering the current economy, I think a modern version of a conestoga would be an excellent choice.
 Meeting_At_The_Crossroads
Msg: 80
Posted: 5/10/2013 8:29:20 PM
Living in an upscale RV or motor home these days is similar to living in a small apartment these days. Most have queen size beds in a separate bedroom. All the amenities one needs. And on top of that, flexibility. I know of an eighty year old gentleman who lives in his very nice motorhome. He is Canadian but never sees snow anymore. From May to November he lives in Canada. Come the beginning of November he is a snowbird living at a couple of different sites in Florida. He really enjoys the life, with friends in many places.

It is just a style of living. Right for some. Not desirable for others. In some cases, simply because it is affordable. We all make a decision on how and where and in what we live (for the most part).
 theanswerguy2
Msg: 81
Posted: 5/10/2013 9:10:05 PM

I've discovered that there are a ton of men who choose to live in trailers, Buses and RVs.

Well, at least you didn't include a van down by the river.

That might make people uneasy.
 that_ol_lady
Msg: 82
Posted: 5/15/2013 2:06:47 PM

theanswerguy2

I've discovered that there are a ton of men who choose to live in trailers, Buses and RVs.

Well, at least you didn't include a van down by the river.

That might make people uneasy.

lmao^^^ almost forgot about that 1..

i had a guy once who messaged me wanting me to come to his RV to meet him
I PASSED on that offer,,"chills down the spine" didnt help that he had the whole ol creepy man down by the river look an vibe either,,he even offered out beer ok ya that was totally gonna change my mind..NOT

like a few posters have said I couldnt see having anything stable with a person who could drive/move away at anytime an be in another state..you say good night an go to your home an they take off across the state line cause everything they have is already on board..

sure anybody can up an vanish out of your life,,

but if your house is on wheels an unless were gypies/travelers im not uprooting out of my place with all my stuff to go live on a bus or RV or try an track down an follow a man from state to state unless it was a emergency case an i had to track the guy down.thats different..

your house is on wheels what about the other persons furniture an belongings what about thier life too..

of course for the guys who do live on wheels i could see the upside as a man who was on the prowl for pssy

A) you can never really be tied down just hookup with random women an then off in your rolling house you go on to the next woman an next state.

B) you can be cheap as hell never paying for a real date or room,,plus even if they have the woman inside thier rv its not like its a apartment or house that she could come back too to find you all you gotta do is zip up an leave an she is left behind..
 bamagrl68
Msg: 83
Posted: 5/16/2013 5:25:31 PM
anutherchance- There are valid reasons for someone (male or female) to live in a trailer, bus or RV.
It could be about finances and that's what they can afford.
Maybe they like living in a smaller space (less upkeep).
I am far more concerned about how a person treats me and the type of person they are than what they live in, jmo.
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2013 7:58:27 PM
WOW, some of these narrow views have really floored me! At one time, I was reading as many RVing magazines as I could get my hands on because I'd thought that I'd love to do that (full time RV) for about 20 years after retirement. Before the internet, it was difficult to do mainly because of banking....and having a permanent physical address. Now, with direct deposits, online banking it's much easier to do. I've read articles written by younger folks....who RV full time even with their children (who are "home schooled") Most parks nowadays have Wi-Fi and I was impressed with the curriculum which offered their children a much enriched, hands on, education. Primarily though, most full time RVers I've known have been either retired and taking the opportunity to experience our vast country before they're too old to travel.....or construction workers who spend months at a time away from their "homes". Whether these men (some women) are married or single, it's cheaper and more convenient to live in an apartment on wheels than it is a fixed one. First of all....when your work has you moving every 8-12 weeks, it's foolish to take on the liability of 1 year lease....and the places which are available for rent without a lease are not fit to live in usually. When you work out of a Local.....you GO where the work is and it's financially foolish to trying to put down roots in every city that has a building going up. You can take a job with a company (if you can find one) and earn $40K a year....or you can travel...and earn $120K a year.

In addition, many people who live full time in trailers or RVs do not consider it a permanent way of life, and often they've considered the "marginal costs" of living....realized that X amount of time cutting back on their MAJOR expense is the fastest way to obtain the funding for a future goal.

I'm sure there are some for whom it IS a way of life, but I for one would NOT stereotype every man who drives his house to work as a bum who isn't capable of a lasting relationship.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Men who live in Trailers, Buses and RVs