Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Do You Think That Holy Water Has An Extra Property?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TheLimey
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Do You Think That Holy Water Has An Extra Property?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Only in Vampire movies.....
 The Lone Haranguer
Msg: 51
Do You Think That Holy Water Has An Extra Property?
Posted: 7/23/2008 8:02:40 PM
Personally, I prefer Holier-than-Thou water.

You know, the kind with the extra Pope-iness. It's positively Pontiff-ilicious!

+<{| ;- )
 o4
Msg: 52
Posted: 7/23/2008 10:13:24 PM
Lone Haraguer, That was funny! I hate to admit it, but it really hit my funny bone! Thanks!

OP: I have no doubt in my mind that it has power.....but let me illustrate my point with a completely different example, and of different qualities and magnitude:

I was at a Boy Scout summer camp a few weeks ago. On the last night of the camp, the leader of the ceremonies invited each of us in the audience to come up after the evening and take a spoonful of the ashes from our campfire that night. He explained that he wanted us then to take that spoonful and put them in some future special campfire again, and then to keep repeating the tradition and sharing with other visiting scout troop campers over and over again. He then told us about the last fire that some of the ashes of this night's fire had been from, and the one before that, and so on, until he simply started listing the countries that had shared some of their ashes with these in their lineage. He must have named well over two dozen countries as he read from a crumpled piece of yellow paper documenting these ashes "family-tree". And as this went on, most that I talked to after, said that they felt the importance, or the "spirit", of the point of the tradition of the ashes.....all started thinking about the meaning of our connectedness and the importance of tradition and sharing, and the bonding that campfires make for those gathered round, and how the ties all add up to our commonalities and call for ends to our differences in thoughts, words, and deeds. It really added up to realizations of things that are bigger than any of us, and hush and reverence fell through our group of campers. All just simply over ashes being passed from one scout fire to another. But those ashes had power to change each of us if we allowed to give consideration and thought to what they stood for through their travels and common bonds. Quite powerful within the context of their spirit and realm.

Blessed water? Certainly more important than mere ashes from a fire! Again something tangible, but this time something which traces its roots back into a heritage....this time, to contact with God. Just as the rites of Communion and Baptism have power for those that believe (and I am one who does), so too would this water have value and powers as an instrument for works within its audience of believers. The trick though is to know it in its Greater role and realm.
 Raveninns
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2008 6:48:45 AM

And as this went on, most that I talked to after, said that they felt the importance, or the "spirit", of the point of the tradition of the ashes.....all started thinking about the meaning of our connectedness and the importance of tradition and sharing, and the bonding that campfires make for those gathered round, and how the ties all add up to our commonalities and call for ends to our differences in thoughts, words, and deeds. It really added up to realizations of things that are bigger than any of us, and hush and reverence fell through our group of campers. All just simply over ashes being passed from one scout fire to another. But those ashes had power to change each of us if we allowed to give consideration and thought to what they stood for through their travels and common bonds. Quite powerful within the context of their spirit and realm.

Oh, how wonderful!

Really makes me believe that there's a worldwide "movement " beginning. Wow.

Cheers, Raven
 NotWithThis
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2008 7:15:21 AM
Anything which has been endowed with extra thought and passion has those vibes. I have made talismans to help friends while they travelled. It works. If a person's motives and intentions are clean, and they direct them onto an object, that object will radiate those intentions. Hence voodoo dolls, talismans, holy water, etc.
It is what is behind witchcraft both white and black. If you do a little dance and light a candle and some incense, it enhances it even more. Just a basic "law" of reality.
 NERO1
Msg: 55
Posted: 7/24/2008 7:24:43 AM
It would be the "placebo effect", IMO. It's psychological balm, for the most part. If you believe it's helping you, and you believe in it strongly enough, then it may make you feel (temporarily) better. Similar, IMO, to any faith-based "cures". We had a friend of the family which my father was just telling me about the other day, and this man had had some sort of cancer diagnosed as terminal, and so forth. He went through (as many people do) various types of regular medicine approaches, then he went into holistic-type medicine and New Age sorts of things, and finally he moved towards religion, becoming "born-again" and getting "faith-healed". He claimed the faith healing had gotten rid of it or put it into remission, and he actually did feel better for a couple months than he had before. But within less than half a year he was dead.

It's similar with holy water. It's like clutching a specially blessed rosary, or , having a specific relic with you at all times during a crisis or whatever. It's totally understandable, given the situation. But is it really doing anything?? Well....highly debatable, and a matter of faith alone at that point. If it comforts the patient I say give it to them, in these scenarios.
 yna6
Msg: 56
Posted: 7/25/2008 3:44:51 PM
I dunno if it has any extra properties or not, but I do know that they kinda frown on you for using the water as a hand washing station. Found that out the hard way....
 NewWayHome
Msg: 57
Posted: 7/25/2008 3:57:42 PM
So I'm looking through the threads and I see this topic, and I decide to hop in and see what's going on, and what do I find? That my opinion is already here, on page one, and I wrote it two years ago. It's as good today as it was then so scroll back to page one if you're interested.

All I'm going to say here is: oh yeah, I think it does.

Zum zum water, anyone? You can buy it airmail now straight out of Makkah.
 Platojag
Msg: 58
Posted: 7/26/2008 10:45:03 AM
As far as I know, Holy Water is just water blessed by a spiritual leader, that has been aged for four days in the sun. I was an altar boy, when I was very young, and asked a lot of questions about everything. Also, I became involved in Shamanism (see Native American Spirituality thread) and was also told much the same, about preparing "blessed water". I found the concept of "four days" and "Blessed by the Sun" and interesting parallel between Catholicism & Shamanism. Indigenous beliefs lie closer to the concept of Grandfather Sun being the true "blesser", and the shaman/shamaness being a sort of a "go between" and assistant in the process.
The number FOUR is important in both spiritualities, because of the four points to the cross (Catholicism) ... and the four cardinal directions (Shamanism & other Indigenous Spirituality).
 Squidlette
Msg: 59
Posted: 7/26/2008 1:38:10 PM
YES! It can make you levitate. Spiritually. :)
 HAGAR TH
Msg: 60
Posted: 7/27/2008 5:20:20 AM
Dr. Masaru Emoto has been doing research into intention and its effects on water. Recently he published a book on his findings which is very interesting. The results indicate that the health of the water (ie. quality) can be affected by focusing mental and emotional energies on subject samples.

In turn I would have to say there must be some truth to the holy water blessing thing.
 Frau Blücher
Msg: 61
Posted: 7/27/2008 11:23:11 PM
This is my experience with Holy Water. A week before I was due to give birth, I learned that the baby was breech. I was told that if he didn’t turn, he would have to be delivered via C-section. My doctor wanted to try and see if she could “turn” him. The Saturday before my “turning” appointment I had to film a wedding. The wedding was at a Catholic church. While “waiting in the wings”, I noticed a holy water stoup and thought “Why not?” Though I am not Catholic, I do believe in God, so I sprinkled my tummy and said a little prayer. At my Monday morning appointment, the doctor examined me and exclaimed, “His little butt is as high as the Georgia pines!” No “turning” or C-section would be required. The little guy was no longer breech.
 Soul Union
Msg: 62
Posted: 7/31/2008 2:14:56 AM
Do you think that holy water has an extra property? An extra something? Can it clense [sic] your soul? - PinchoPaxton

In my opinion, the masses of men and women are being conned and hoodwinked by religions, whose members wear robes and appropriate apparel in order to stand out from the herd - those they control and influence. Wearing plain suits and carrying plain water does not impress the herd. The worried, insecure masses need someone to look up to, and mankind's artificial religions come speedily to the rescue.

Do I think holy water has an extra property? No more so than unholy water.

- Peter
 Moonlynx
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2008 4:57:24 AM
I think it would depend on the person on if they gave credence to the blessing of the water.

Someone who believes it's just water will see it as just water.

Someone who sees it as holy water will see it as holy water and above normal water.

Me personally, I bless my own water with whatever intent I wish for it to have. Does it work? I think it does, but that is my belief. Intent, intent, intent.
 Lucy Lucy loo
Msg: 64
Posted: 8/3/2008 6:31:35 PM
Interesting. The minister who baptized my son told me all the water comes from the river Jordan. Making it very expensive. I also heard form a healer that to purify any water you leave it in the sunshine for 24 hours and the sun which came from god will purify the water. The possibilities are endless. I guess whatever your belief is it will suffice.
 taurus516
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2008 7:48:17 AM
I guess taking a sample of "holy water" and a sample of regular, ordinary water ( from the same source for control purposes) and scientifically analyzing them for differences wouldn't help here? Just a thought.
 docoman
Msg: 66
Posted: 8/16/2008 9:35:30 AM
Seems to have the power to make money for evangelists!!
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Do You Think That Holy Water Has An Extra Property?