Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > What Not to Wear at this Stage?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 coug4
Msg: 101
What Not To Wear At This StagePage 5 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
Sounds like your date found himself in a bit of a 'pickle'.
 tmtravlr
Msg: 102
What Not to Wear at this Stage?
Posted: 3/27/2007 3:54:30 PM
I try to avoid the "busted can of biscuits look" It is possible to be youthful withhout the "hooker look" also. My style is "no style" .. I prefer waterproof clothing since I live near the water.
 Sierrasman
Msg: 103
Posted: 3/27/2007 4:08:58 PM
I dress like I want to and have never had any complaints. Women have told me they like the way I wear my jeans. I don't know "how" I wear them, I just put them on.

But maybe at my age I should consider dressing more my age. Guess the next time I go to the beach I'll wear a paisley shirt, burmuda shorts, black wingtips, and black socks up to my knees. I'm sure that will attract women!
 OxDrover
Msg: 104
What Not To Wear At This Stage
Posted: 3/27/2007 5:04:54 PM
Muskoka Gold, while I laughed till I nearly peed my pants, I think this poor man must have had an incontinence problem. Sounds like it any way. A pair of those "discrete" undergarments probably would have been more appropriate.
 Muskoka Gold
Msg: 105
What Not To Wear At This Stage
Posted: 3/27/2007 6:31:02 PM
Discreet undergarments could be "the" new fashion statement or what some might need to wear at this stage. But, I think it was more about getting my attention...between the moving pr. of socks and his laptop, he'd brought to the table to show me pictures of his other toys,...(house, boat, truck etc.)......... I didn't know where to look.. I ended up becoming fascinated with my salad!!!
What not to wear and not to bring on a first date!!!! Laptops for sure!
Muskoka
 Bunn
Msg: 106
Posted: 3/27/2007 7:28:06 PM
HAH well not in this century for sure..
 Bunn
Msg: 107
Posted: 3/27/2007 7:29:27 PM
ok question is: that be tight in those jeans? or standing in front of you in tight undies? lol
 BLonde^j^AngeL
Msg: 108
Posted: 3/3/2015 4:44:26 PM

I have often heard the complaint 'I seem to attrack the wrong type of people'. Has it anything to do with the clothing they wear?

Usually we hear that from women in overly provocative clothes getting too much of the sexual overtones.

The pictures they post? The profiles they post?

Yes & such persons would do well w/ a profile review

Has it really got anything to do with 'them' at all?

sometimes people provoke other times pervs just are on the prowl

If you have a 'good figure' and dress in a 'youthful style', is that considered flattering or 'putting out the wrong message'? I saw this woman the other day from behind. She was tall and slim, had skin tight jeans, a small camoflage jacket, boots and purse to match. When she turned around, she was quite an older woman...and I went Yipes!
At this age and stage, what is considered to be 'age appropriate'? If you dress conservatively, are you judged to be 'up tight' and therefore 'unattractive'? If you are well endowed, and wear a low cut tight fitting short dress, are you more likely to attract men in general or just those that are the 'wrong type'?

I think being stylish yet modest would cover all bases

What if anything does your clothing say about you?

I like knit fabrics that are comfy yet in style.
 WhoamI_46
Msg: 109
Posted: 3/3/2015 5:21:06 PM
Found it funny reading through the responses. Not too many men replied. Probably because they don't look at the clothes like we do.

and also because they are thinking " naked"

:)
 Demidar
Msg: 110
Posted: 3/3/2015 6:11:18 PM
I have always wore denim and leather , its comfortable , durable , and functional . I have never concerned my self with fashion . Basically wear what you want regardless of what ever trend is going . I would dress like the drummer from the video for the Book of Heavy Metal :)
 JoeBnD
Msg: 111
Posted: 3/4/2015 6:51:10 PM
I believe that the correct answer to the question posed in your thread title would be "a wedding ring."
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2015 4:47:08 PM
I don't wear stiletto heels....but because of back and foot issues.....I never did.

Otherwise, I pretty much dress the same way I always did (conservative, but with "pizazz").

And that is all.
 ozsealady1
Msg: 113
Posted: 3/6/2015 7:12:32 PM

I believe that the correct answer to the question posed in your thread title would be "a wedding ring."

^^^ Well said Joe.
I agree.
 TrustInKarma
Msg: 114
Posted: 3/6/2015 9:24:50 PM
I like to wear casual, comfortable (very important) clothes that look good on ME - couldn't care less if they are "in fashion" or not. I have a curvy figure, with prominent chest and butt/hips, and I look best in slightly fitted clothing. Anything not fitted makes me looks frumpy. Don't like heels, if I do wear some, no more than like 3 inches max. Prefer comfortable l0w-heeled pumps. Legins are one of my wardrobe staples, with a nice fitted top and a jacket, always looks put together and is soooo comfy.
 JoeBnD
Msg: 115
Posted: 3/6/2015 9:34:03 PM
I have a feeling that very soon I will be wearing a hearse followed shortly by an urn. I am currently fighting going to the hospital yet again, but it may be a futile battle.

-------

Why did you assume that I was saying that the hospital was going to be the cause of my death. No, I just don't want to go due to the cost and I don't want that damn tube down my nose/throat.. I went 6 times last year (some of which were free due to reaching my max out-of-pocket).
 ozsealady1
Msg: 116
Posted: 3/6/2015 9:39:08 PM
I hope you are wrong Joe.

All the best and I hope you have a full recovery.

Hospitals do make people better.
That is the purpose of their existence.

If they wanted you in a hearse they would not bother spending any time, effort, expertise or money on keeping you alive.

I suggest you wear a positive attitude.
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 117
Posted: 3/7/2015 12:00:55 PM
Has anyone met someone at a Walmart?

Which department (i.e. meats, toys) ?
 Grl_next_door
Msg: 118
Posted: 3/7/2015 2:54:14 PM
"Why did you assume that I was saying that the hospital was going to be the cause of my death. No, I just don't want to go due to the cost and I don't want that damn tube down my nose/throat.. I went 6 times last year (some of which were free due to reaching my max out-of-pocket)". ...(Joe)

Once you give up on yourself there is nothing anyone else can say or do.

A neighbour in the last place I lived had wasted down to about 80 lbs. from not eating or caring for herself. Her daughter had died the previous year. It didn't matter what I suggested to try to get her to save herself, she was not interested. She kindly declined all of my offers to drive her to a doctor, or to an agency that could help her.

All of my suggestions were met with excuses and denial. I still wonder about her a lot and whether she is still living like that or whether she has passed away.

Don't give up on yourself, Joe. And yeah, that hose up the nose is gawd awful...been there too.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 119
Posted: 3/7/2015 8:01:17 PM
Scotchlassie- I am with both of you.
Comfort first :)
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 120
Posted: 3/11/2015 10:14:47 PM

If you have a 'good figure' and dress in a 'youthful style', is that considered flattering or 'putting out the wrong message'? I saw this woman the other day from behind. She was tall and slim, had skin tight jeans, a small camoflage jacket, boots and purse to match. When she turned around, she was quite an older woman...and I went Yipes!

Tight jeans and a camo-jacket, and matching boots & purse. OK. I see plenty of women wearing jeans that are pretty tight, whether it fits them well, or they fill them out well (like plus sized) when they're old.

OH, but wait -- she looked GOOD in it, until she turned around to show her face that she's Old. Sooo, she should wear a moo-moo? Some "mom jeans"? ;)

What one shouldn't wear is what doesn't look good on them, which is commonly due to age. So when we say "50 year olds shouldn't be dressed like [this]," it's because 99% of 50 year olds are not going to look good in them. If we see a 50-something on TV wearing it, we don't flinch -- because they're of that 1% in body that does fit well with it.

But just because she has an "old face" doesn't mean she shouldn't. If you think so, then you should tell people who have other reasons their face isn't attractive as found in such slim-good-looking styles.... like those with considerable skin problems or really Bad teeth. You'll get the same reaction looking from behind, but then they turn around and you go "Oh!". Doesn't have to be an age difference than what you firmly expected. In fact, I'd say the "old face" is much better than the various, common "butter face".
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2015 4:09:35 AM

To better qualify 'wrong types': a woman dresses in a sexy dress and then complains because men are hitting on her 'only for sex', when in actual fact she wants more then that.

^^^^^^^^
Women get hit on covered in fitted jeans/yoga pants and a turtle neck just as much as in a skirt and low cut blise.Men have imaginations and your shape is what makes them go ga ga , not lack of material .

In fact they rather "imagine"imo

The only thing showing lots of flesh does imo, they think you want sex with anyone (including them, when you don't). So dont see the point of that at all.

Men look at you and think "What does she look like NEKID"? No matter what.Many have told me this.
They also go on and on about that thigh gap as if its a tunnel that leads to a pot of gold.Now I keep my legs together a lot more in pics so they cant see it.

If we wear clothing that is good for our body type and fits the activity we are doing, anything else that is someone elses opinion of how we dress is their problem.

We can't please other people, so we might as well please ourselves.

^^^^^^^^Agree

But just because she has an "old face" doesn't mean she shouldn't. If you think so, then you should tell people who have other reasons their face isn't attractive as found in such slim-good-looking styles.... like those with considerable skin problems or really Bad teeth. You'll get the same reaction looking from behind, but then they turn around and you go "Oh!". Doesn't have to be an age difference than what you firmly expected. In fact, I'd say the "old face" is much better than the various, common "butter face".

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Agree 100%, Just because my face is older ,I should dress like a granny that doesnt care?
Not happening.

rearguard*2
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2015 7:07:21 AM
I always presume that everyone who is dating is interested in finding a sexual partner. Otherwise, why bother dating?

So, if you are interested in finding a sexual partner, dress in the fashion that you think will attract someone who is interested in the same level of sexual involvement as you prefer.

In my experience, different people find different dress styles appealing, so if you have a preferred dress style, you will attract someone who finds that style sexy, whatever that style happens to be. If you find you are not getting the desired level of interest, either change dating circles (i.e. change dating site, social environment, job, city, church), or change your style.
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2015 11:18:06 AM
'tunia commented:
Women get hit on covered in fitted jeans/yoga pants and a turtle neck just as much as in a skirt and low cut blise.Men have imaginations and your shape is what makes them go ga ga , not lack of material .

While I wholeheartedly agree with Miss 'tunia on this, I would like to add that some clothing, though fully covering, is more conducive to the imagination than other clothing. The frustrated old man in me is ever thankful for the ascendance of yoga pants in the public square - even though I have seen a few who should have radically chosen another style of dress. Personally, I like a well toned woman in yoga pants and a kicky little skirt. On a healthy woman of my age, one who has been able to maintain a wonderful level of apparent fitness it creates in my mind an appearance of a youthful mind set - something I highly prize.

'tunia further commented:
In fact they rather "imagine"imo
OK, I understand this comment, esp. from a woman who is willing to understand men and our nature; yet, I do not 100% agree. At least for myself, while my imagination doth runneth over, I much prefer that the imagination be coupled to a promise that the imagination may someday/sometime be realized. Otherwise to me it is just torture and unrequited lust - not desire.

Case in point, Miss 'tunia made a comment sometime ago concerning herself, a robe, a hottub, and the presence, or lack thereof, of certain clothing under the robe. While my imagination has yet fully quelled, and truly, I did enjoy the image, during the ensuing time I believe I fried a few too many synapses. As I said: torture.

TK
[Miss 'tunia, no more word pictures, please, I'm barely functioning as it is]
 clarice46
Msg: 124
Posted: 3/13/2015 12:25:49 AM
As they say "mutton dressed up as lamb" with some older women. They are really denying their age
and wearing skin tight pants and the longer blonded hair is not really becoming when you are well and truly into the elder years.
As for attracting the wrong types when you are seductively dressed, it would depend on who I find attractive whether it the wrong one or not. There is a difference in looking trashy and tarty and looking sexy and attractive. It can be a fine line for sure.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2015 4:59:14 AM
Tarnished you are a fav of mine, but I do not recall a hot tub incident like that at all.
Imagination is a good thing, but maybe someone else or a misinterpretation?
Maybe I forgot? Doubt it with my concern for icky contaminants from other women.

The only hot tub I remember is a guy trying to get me in one at his house and me thinking "Ewww, how many women has he had in there?" "cooties""yeast" etc.

But if you make sure there are no cooties and have a bit O' spiced rum and grapefruit juice, I may consider it.
Esp, if we have some Marvin Gaye on the stereo

As long as you're groovin'
There's always a chance
Somebody's watching
Might wanna make romance

Move your body, ooo baby, you dance all night
To the groove and feel alright
Everybody's groovin' on like a fool
But if you see me - let me in
Baby just party high and low
Let me step into/ to your erotic zone

Move it up
Turn it 'round
Ooo Shake it down
Ooowwwwww

There is a difference in looking trashy and tarty and looking sexy and attractive. It can be a fine line for sure.

I agree , but who is to say what that line is and it IS different for different people due to many things that have little to do with age.Again IMO..

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > What Not to Wear at this Stage?