Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 indianasnow
Msg: 141
Scams. Nigerians, Russians ETC.Page 2 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
I no have no idea what yo taking about.....bye the way.....I need 50 dolla to go to skool so I can speek and spell good American.....
 davo213
Msg: 149
Scams. Nigerians, Russians ETC.
Posted: 2/3/2007 3:52:08 PM
Hi There, Yes it happens all the time on paid sites,and I my self have been stung twice,One from Africa,the latest Russia. It goes like this breifly.Corresponded for 8 months with a russian woman(kept all emails) Sent over half the plane ticket(she had rest) Come to fly,it was stated she needed security money,as she was not allowed to fly with out it,so silly me sent the money.She gave me new flight times.I went to the airport,but no arrival.I rang another agency to find out when the next flight arrived here.So I went to the airport.And suprise,she arrived here will a male partner.She kept looking at me as they loaded their baggage and walked off.What a nerve.I reported it to the federal police,what a joke,was told to go to local police.I sent emails with photos,and to this day have had no replies.I sent emails an photos to crime stoppers,but no replies.This happen in late Nov,begining of Dec06.
What a bloody cheek I say,and Our security does nothing. What type od city are we living in. Davo213
 lindy_3333
Msg: 154
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2007 4:09:12 PM
I run into those fools everywhere.. but not one here, so far. American Singles, Yahoo Personals, Yahoo Chat, Yahoo Emails, MySpace etc., etc., etc. For me, if the guy is fantastic looking and emailing me, I can about guess he is one of them. The have the best pics money can buy lol....And somehow, they always say they are from someplace in the states or YOUR state, and they are "on business" in Africa.Business men, blah, blah, blah. (For your home town like Cleveland or an area you know you can do what my daughter does. My daughter always makes ap a false neighboring town and asks them if its close to this place or that.... of course since its false, they would know, but they always say the fake place. Then she KNOWS they are liars..Calls them on it and they stumble and fall, lol)

These people are scammers trying to scam men and woman and have been exposed on many news shows and news programs, but seems not everyone knows about them yet. They also have started telling you that one parent is US and another is African. Or one parent is from England, but they moved to the US and grew up here, but can hardly type written English, and their sentence structure is horrible! If they grew up here they would know the language and be able to type it. lol.. When they first started they would give me a big speal about how beautiful I was and how they could fall in love with me, and they wanted someone to marry, yadda, yadda, yadda lol... Most US men on chat, do not do that shit ... most want to know my bra size and my favorite postion and crap like that...hehe..

I can hardly believe that they still are getting people to fall for their BS. Must be a lot of emotional weak people out there to keep this ring of thieves going.

If it's too good to be true, big huge chance it isn't true!! They are predators on the weak and naive.

Linda

Happy fishing everyone, proceed with caution, and watch out for the sharks.
 betty34
Msg: 159
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2007 4:16:59 PM
i was on 2 other sites and all they do is get on line and tell u how much they love u then it starts one was hungery and his kid was sick needed 5 thousand dollars then the next one want 5 hundred to come back to the states then the next one needed 10 thousandhis kid had a brain turmor and was in the hospital so today one needed 12 thousand to start a bussines and the other one i didn't give him a chance to tell me closeed my account took every off so they could not contact me any more i told them i was not a bank to go get a loan thank u for letting me say my piece and thank u fish for not letting it go on here lasha
 kbikerrs
Msg: 191
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2007 9:23:30 PM
I always get them on my Yahoo IM. I patiently listen to their story then say how much I would love to meet them. I tell them I am trapped in USA and need money for the airfare to come and see them in person. (it tends to end there)
 Audial Liaison
Msg: 195
Posted: 2/3/2007 9:46:55 PM
But if it wernt for the scammers in nigeria i would never have any new mail/flirts in my mailbox =)

Mato1970
Msg: 198
Posted: 2/3/2007 10:08:51 PM
I never came across any Nigerian scams on paid dating sites, but I have found PLENTY of Russian women trying to scam me. It's gone to the point where in my profiles I had to write saying "No Russian women." And what is it about Russia that Russian women are notorious for this? You never hear about British women scammers, or Spanish women scammers, or even Italian women scammers.

Incidentally, if you ever receive such correspondences, you can report them to www.russianwomenscammers.com. I think that is the website. If I am wrong, do a search. There are websites where you can look to see if the woman contacting you is on there, or you can report it to the site.
 decentandsexy
Msg: 202
Posted: 2/3/2007 10:34:40 PM
I WAS SCAMMED BY A NIGERIA...SAID HIS MOTHER WAS DYING AND NEED SOME MONEY FOR HER MEDS....BUT NOT ON POF...IT WAS AN OTHER ONE
 comforter
Msg: 203
Posted: 2/3/2007 10:37:11 PM
The Nigerian scammers are a disgrace to Africa. Russians scamming is telling us the new trend of the Mafia. I have been sent numerous letters on yahoo and faceparty. The Russians send you great pictures and wanna come over here. Their grandma always end up getting sick.The Nigerians need money because they're stuck up in some hotel or the parents are dead in Africa. I had one girl telling me that she left the States to study nursing in Nigeria. Come on girl you ain't talking to no donkey.
 betterlate
Msg: 207
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2007 10:48:44 PM
I got a email from a really good looking guy from NC, and he fell madly and instantly in love with me, then he was traveling to germany, and then heard about a great deal in Guana and went there, he decided to sell everything he owned and buy into this gold deal and offered me a great deal for a big part of the fantastic find. I laughed and decided to have some fun, I acted interested and told him I sent the money he requested to NC to the city he told me, I told him that I looked up his address and sent a money order for 25K, and now what should I do???? It was pure entertainment having him try to get that money!!!

What is so sad is that there are alot of Americans that do fall for the "too good too be true" scams and the Africans have made millions and millions off of them.

They will keep getting better at the scams as they become better funded, they will soon know what works and what doesnt.

There are alot of lonely people looking for that one person, that soul mate and it does happen, however any handsome thirty year old hunk after me is going to have to under go a mental evaluation first, then a back ground check, then... will have to pass the red flag test..

It is sort of fun messing with them though...
bl
 Myrna43
Msg: 209
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2007 11:04:48 PM
I was contacted by more than one Nigerian scam when I was on a paid site. Have suspected a couple here but not even close to the paid. I think their idea is if we desperate enough to pay to find a friend we would be gullible and desperate enough to swallow their crap. My first clue on the first scam was the person contacting me (at least their profile)was just too good to be true and why on earth a man like that would contact me is beyond me. The first few emails were very well written but as the scammers got more sure they seemed to have passed it on thinking we would not suspect the sudden change is writing and spelling skills.

The worst I have encountered was the individual from the US who after many claims of "instant falling in love with me" wanted me to bank roll his gambling career. What a shame there are so many out there just waiting for a chance to scam someone.
 mikemerlin
Msg: 237
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2007 3:28:39 AM
Yes and so far I have found one particular Russian on three paid sites, claiming to be 3 different people from different countries.
 nipoleon
Msg: 238
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2007 3:51:55 AM
You don't have a 4th option.
I personally have never run into any of those scams on either one.
I guess I just don't look like a good mark.
 TainaNYC
Msg: 252
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2007 5:29:45 AM
I've seen quite a few profiles of men who seem like scammers on M-a-t-c-h and on only a few on other sites. And I've also seen a couple here on POF.

If I have even a glimmer of an inkling that they are just "too good to be true" I pass them by (especially if they have all professional photos and no candid shots). One of the things I look for is "inconsistencies" and also outrageous "requirements" such as, "looking for ages 13-99"...LOL! or "looking for forever" on the first chat or "believe everything I say" and "don't ask me any questions." Ha! Not likely!

What I like about POF is the IM feature which allows you to make a quick decision as to wheter or not you'd like to continue contact with a person. Common sense and regard for my own safety compel me to ask many questions. If I am suspicious, I ask a lot of direct questions. Some of the inconsistencies I look for are in discussions about children, where they live/work, their religious beliefs. When a profile shows Catholic as the religion, but a man says he is Christian, then says he goes to a Pentecostal church, and he used to be a Methodist, although he is an evolutionist...well, none of that adds up. And then the same man says "I am from the UK" and "I am a contractor who owns my own business" and "I travel often to Africa" or "Didn't I tell you I have a charity?" or every other word is either "yeah" or "baby" and can't spell to save his life, then chances are, at least in my book, that he is a scammer.

While I don't expect everyone to know the difference between "too, to" and "their, there, they're" or "your, you're, yore" (except for my graduate students, of course) it's important to be able to carry on a simple conversation with someone without glaring inconsistencies, in spite of spelling errors, which I, too, make from time to time, and I'm a writer. (^_^)

Good luck to everyone in your search!
 cowgirl4777
Msg: 254
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2007 5:45:00 AM
I have ran across several 'Nigerian' scammers on a lot of different sites, and learned very quickly how to spot them. I actually received a cashiers check from a man "stuck in Nigeria"...it was for $6500, and I kept it as a memento that I scammed a scammer, lol. He was very persistent about me sending him money...even enough to send and insure the check, but I stood my ground and refused just to see how far he would go.
 SAQ
Msg: 261
Posted: 2/4/2007 6:35:34 AM
I ws on match.com and the scams were terrible. I have only had n while on POF.
 swick69
Msg: 263
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2007 6:52:29 AM
scam jobs..? been there delt with 'em. bank scams and greencard scams. get hit every day. like they think they are the first to try that. i get tired of deleting 'em. i haven't had any from PoF, most of the other personals sites and yahoo. but ya know, the internet is a form of freedom of speach, if scams are considered in this group,...as soon as you block one scammer, up pops another. never ending pests. so...i'll continue to delete...just hope my delete button dont wear out for me.
 Bluesman247
Msg: 264
Posted: 2/4/2007 7:01:29 AM
I've chatted with 6 girls mostly from pay dating sites.Every one includes a yahoo messenger, msn,or AIM address in their profile so you can contact them.
I had this one girl that I met back in Nov 2006,lives in Lagos Nigeria,very nice looking black girl,30 yrs old,dosen't work but went to college for accounting and is still a virgin.(so she says)
She says that she is from the UK and moved to Nigeria to take care of her sick mom.Her father had a job travelling around the world and her mother made clothes.
About a week after chatting,she starts to call me honey and says that she loves me.
In Dec 2006 she wants me to send money for plane ticket,passport and visa so she can come live with me.That never happened.
She wanted to be in the USA by Christmas,I don't know why.
Since I didn't get her to the USA in time for Christmas,she wanted me to send her some earrings and a card.That never happened.
She also wanted me to send her $150 so she could buy an international calling card to call me.
She got mad at me for not sending her the money and wanted me to fly to Nigeria to meet her in person.Never happend either.
We wasted a lot of time chatting but it didn't cost me anything.
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 268
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2007 7:28:52 AM
Over the years I've come across a few scamers from Ghana, Nigeria, a girl in greece that said she's a model from the US and needs money to get home, that have asked me for money- no luck for them. Most of them left me alone after a bit but I think I ended up blocking one. After a week or two of chatting one asked me to send money I refused to send any and the person became quite rude. Actually over the years I've only paid out about 70$ in online dating- to the big scamers the ones who want money to check your email on their site. I've also come across l a few russians but they left me alone when I told them I wasn't interested in a long distance committed relationship, but I'd be happy to chat and exchange pictures and stories and that I'm not ready to settle down and start a family. And I've come across a few adbots and never paid to not meet them either. All on yahoo and AS. Nothing on PoF- Keep up the good work guys.

cyclingmonk
 tydex
Msg: 281
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2007 7:55:02 AM
I've had one Russian girl contact me, but not sure if it was a scam. I think she was just trying to get out of the country. On the paid sites, they want to direct you to another paid site immediately. This girl said she was from Ottawa. She sent me family pictures hoping to get me interested, then she eventually told me where she was from. She never mentioned another site. I stopped emailing her after I found out she was not local. She sent a few more emails and then eventually stopped.
 LifeCoach67
Msg: 303
Scams. Nigerians, Russians etc **AND HERE'S MORE**
Posted: 2/4/2007 9:51:50 AM
Another scam you all may not be aware of (which extends to Japan and France as well) is a take-off on the 'roommate scam' (just google it - you'll be amazed!)

The scammer makes the victim believe they can 'help' them by cashing some a large amount of ''Registered International Money Drafts'' and for doing it, they'll give the victim a large portion of the money to invest - often on the condition that they have to share the profits when the scammer is successful in arriving in their country. This leaves the scammer thinking that this person does intend to come for 'their share', thusly legitimizing their next step, which is to cash the funds, send some back in a Western Union money order, and then spend or invest the rest (depending on how honest-intended the victim actually is).

These drafts look so official that they even fool the banks. (They even have the perforated edges where the draft is torn away from the bank's copy - like the genuine bank drafts have.)

Anyway, the scammer sends a large amount of money, and when you receive it, you're blown away that you actually have a stupid amount of 'free money' to do with as you choose. How do I know? I received the bank drafts, and believe me - they're very legitimate looking... even to bank staff, who normally just take these notes and put the cash into your account.

Typically, the amounts sent are usually $5,000 - $9,000 worth (U.S. funds of course) and apparently sometimes these scammers even have connections within your own country so that the bank drafts, which originate from your own country, are even mail-forwarded from a large city you know to be a legitimate post office within your home country. If not mailed locally, at LEAST the bank notes will be from a banking institution within your country. The bottom line is that the effectiveness of the appearance of these notes is very realistic.

The place you catch them up on it (if you aren't already aware of these scams) is the grammar and bad spelling. (This is the kind of error that a large banking institution wouldn't allow its staff to be party to. Bank staff MUST be grammar-efficient just to be hired.)

Anyway, the drafts are always made out in amounts that are also under $1000 per draft note. This aids in the fraud by keeping each draft note within the Homeland Security international rules for monitoring money trafficing.

So....
The bank puts the money in your account... you send the agreed amount back to the sender thinking the deal is legit, and a month or so later, (long after you've already sent REAL money and effectively won't ever see it again,) the bank gives you a phone call and tells you that you've cashed counterfeit notes, and that you've got to make good for them or otherwise they'll prosecute.

So what's the Painful Outcome?

You're left holding the bag for every penny of the original 'deposit' to your account.
 jobi07
Msg: 305
Posted: 2/4/2007 9:54:34 AM
To the admin yes there are Nigerians in here I myself is a Nigeria German,and if there no because white lady are not interested in black men or they are just looking for one.
 Brutas66
Msg: 307
Posted: 2/4/2007 10:07:48 AM
Damn right I have come across them, Just for an experiment I had keyed in a broad distance and narrowed the age and left preference's pretty open. I was shocked how many came up and one after another even had matching profiles and intro's, as if from a script. Personnaly I am a little insulted these women think American men are really that stupid to fall for this. But I will admit one Russian women did keep me on the line for about a month because I believed she was in South Dakota before things just didn't seem right and I relized she WAS actually in Russia..Now I e-mail them and sound as desperate as possible and then tell them I need money to get out of prison LOL!!!!
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >