Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 nipoleon
Msg: 238
view profile
History
Scams. Nigerians, Russians ETC.Page 4 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)
You don't have a 4th option.
I personally have never run into any of those scams on either one.
I guess I just don't look like a good mark.
 TainaNYC
Msg: 252
view profile
History
Scams. Nigerians, Russians ETC.
Posted: 2/4/2007 5:29:45 AM
I've seen quite a few profiles of men who seem like scammers on M-a-t-c-h and on only a few on other sites. And I've also seen a couple here on POF.

If I have even a glimmer of an inkling that they are just "too good to be true" I pass them by (especially if they have all professional photos and no candid shots). One of the things I look for is "inconsistencies" and also outrageous "requirements" such as, "looking for ages 13-99"...LOL! or "looking for forever" on the first chat or "believe everything I say" and "don't ask me any questions." Ha! Not likely!

What I like about POF is the IM feature which allows you to make a quick decision as to wheter or not you'd like to continue contact with a person. Common sense and regard for my own safety compel me to ask many questions. If I am suspicious, I ask a lot of direct questions. Some of the inconsistencies I look for are in discussions about children, where they live/work, their religious beliefs. When a profile shows Catholic as the religion, but a man says he is Christian, then says he goes to a Pentecostal church, and he used to be a Methodist, although he is an evolutionist...well, none of that adds up. And then the same man says "I am from the UK" and "I am a contractor who owns my own business" and "I travel often to Africa" or "Didn't I tell you I have a charity?" or every other word is either "yeah" or "baby" and can't spell to save his life, then chances are, at least in my book, that he is a scammer.

While I don't expect everyone to know the difference between "too, to" and "their, there, they're" or "your, you're, yore" (except for my graduate students, of course) it's important to be able to carry on a simple conversation with someone without glaring inconsistencies, in spite of spelling errors, which I, too, make from time to time, and I'm a writer. (^_^)

Good luck to everyone in your search!
 cowgirl4777
Msg: 254
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2007 5:45:00 AM
I have ran across several 'Nigerian' scammers on a lot of different sites, and learned very quickly how to spot them. I actually received a cashiers check from a man "stuck in Nigeria"...it was for $6500, and I kept it as a memento that I scammed a scammer, lol. He was very persistent about me sending him money...even enough to send and insure the check, but I stood my ground and refused just to see how far he would go.
 SAQ
Msg: 261
Posted: 2/4/2007 6:35:34 AM
I ws on match.com and the scams were terrible. I have only had n while on POF.
 swick69
Msg: 263
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2007 6:52:29 AM
scam jobs..? been there delt with 'em. bank scams and greencard scams. get hit every day. like they think they are the first to try that. i get tired of deleting 'em. i haven't had any from PoF, most of the other personals sites and yahoo. but ya know, the internet is a form of freedom of speach, if scams are considered in this group,...as soon as you block one scammer, up pops another. never ending pests. so...i'll continue to delete...just hope my delete button dont wear out for me.
 Bluesman247
Msg: 264
Posted: 2/4/2007 7:01:29 AM
I've chatted with 6 girls mostly from pay dating sites.Every one includes a yahoo messenger, msn,or AIM address in their profile so you can contact them.
I had this one girl that I met back in Nov 2006,lives in Lagos Nigeria,very nice looking black girl,30 yrs old,dosen't work but went to college for accounting and is still a virgin.(so she says)
She says that she is from the UK and moved to Nigeria to take care of her sick mom.Her father had a job travelling around the world and her mother made clothes.
About a week after chatting,she starts to call me honey and says that she loves me.
In Dec 2006 she wants me to send money for plane ticket,passport and visa so she can come live with me.That never happened.
She wanted to be in the USA by Christmas,I don't know why.
Since I didn't get her to the USA in time for Christmas,she wanted me to send her some earrings and a card.That never happened.
She also wanted me to send her $150 so she could buy an international calling card to call me.
She got mad at me for not sending her the money and wanted me to fly to Nigeria to meet her in person.Never happend either.
We wasted a lot of time chatting but it didn't cost me anything.
 cyclingmonk
Msg: 268
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2007 7:28:52 AM
Over the years I've come across a few scamers from Ghana, Nigeria, a girl in greece that said she's a model from the US and needs money to get home, that have asked me for money- no luck for them. Most of them left me alone after a bit but I think I ended up blocking one. After a week or two of chatting one asked me to send money I refused to send any and the person became quite rude. Actually over the years I've only paid out about 70$ in online dating- to the big scamers the ones who want money to check your email on their site. I've also come across l a few russians but they left me alone when I told them I wasn't interested in a long distance committed relationship, but I'd be happy to chat and exchange pictures and stories and that I'm not ready to settle down and start a family. And I've come across a few adbots and never paid to not meet them either. All on yahoo and AS. Nothing on PoF- Keep up the good work guys.

cyclingmonk
 tydex
Msg: 281
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2007 7:55:02 AM
I've had one Russian girl contact me, but not sure if it was a scam. I think she was just trying to get out of the country. On the paid sites, they want to direct you to another paid site immediately. This girl said she was from Ottawa. She sent me family pictures hoping to get me interested, then she eventually told me where she was from. She never mentioned another site. I stopped emailing her after I found out she was not local. She sent a few more emails and then eventually stopped.
 LifeCoach67
Msg: 303
Scams. Nigerians, Russians etc **AND HERE'S MORE**
Posted: 2/4/2007 9:51:50 AM
Another scam you all may not be aware of (which extends to Japan and France as well) is a take-off on the 'roommate scam' (just google it - you'll be amazed!)

The scammer makes the victim believe they can 'help' them by cashing some a large amount of ''Registered International Money Drafts'' and for doing it, they'll give the victim a large portion of the money to invest - often on the condition that they have to share the profits when the scammer is successful in arriving in their country. This leaves the scammer thinking that this person does intend to come for 'their share', thusly legitimizing their next step, which is to cash the funds, send some back in a Western Union money order, and then spend or invest the rest (depending on how honest-intended the victim actually is).

These drafts look so official that they even fool the banks. (They even have the perforated edges where the draft is torn away from the bank's copy - like the genuine bank drafts have.)

Anyway, the scammer sends a large amount of money, and when you receive it, you're blown away that you actually have a stupid amount of 'free money' to do with as you choose. How do I know? I received the bank drafts, and believe me - they're very legitimate looking... even to bank staff, who normally just take these notes and put the cash into your account.

Typically, the amounts sent are usually $5,000 - $9,000 worth (U.S. funds of course) and apparently sometimes these scammers even have connections within your own country so that the bank drafts, which originate from your own country, are even mail-forwarded from a large city you know to be a legitimate post office within your home country. If not mailed locally, at LEAST the bank notes will be from a banking institution within your country. The bottom line is that the effectiveness of the appearance of these notes is very realistic.

The place you catch them up on it (if you aren't already aware of these scams) is the grammar and bad spelling. (This is the kind of error that a large banking institution wouldn't allow its staff to be party to. Bank staff MUST be grammar-efficient just to be hired.)

Anyway, the drafts are always made out in amounts that are also under $1000 per draft note. This aids in the fraud by keeping each draft note within the Homeland Security international rules for monitoring money trafficing.

So....
The bank puts the money in your account... you send the agreed amount back to the sender thinking the deal is legit, and a month or so later, (long after you've already sent REAL money and effectively won't ever see it again,) the bank gives you a phone call and tells you that you've cashed counterfeit notes, and that you've got to make good for them or otherwise they'll prosecute.

So what's the Painful Outcome?

You're left holding the bag for every penny of the original 'deposit' to your account.
 jobi07
Msg: 305
Posted: 2/4/2007 9:54:34 AM
To the admin yes there are Nigerians in here I myself is a Nigeria German,and if there no because white lady are not interested in black men or they are just looking for one.
 Brutas66
Msg: 307
Posted: 2/4/2007 10:07:48 AM
Damn right I have come across them, Just for an experiment I had keyed in a broad distance and narrowed the age and left preference's pretty open. I was shocked how many came up and one after another even had matching profiles and intro's, as if from a script. Personnaly I am a little insulted these women think American men are really that stupid to fall for this. But I will admit one Russian women did keep me on the line for about a month because I believed she was in South Dakota before things just didn't seem right and I relized she WAS actually in Russia..Now I e-mail them and sound as desperate as possible and then tell them I need money to get out of prison LOL!!!!
 NapaValleyGrrrl
Msg: 311
Posted: 2/4/2007 10:13:44 AM
Haven't been a member here for too long, but found that there were many more obvious scammers on paid sites. Some even with very elaborate schemes involving more than one person. Well like everything else in life, buyer beware! If it's too good 2 b true, then it is!
 driven2perform
Msg: 315
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2007 10:23:30 AM
I have had a few contact me. Always from Gahna Africa. I have gotten to where I can pretty much tell by picture quality as well before it ever gets that far.. I have generally told them I think we should go to Africa and shhot all the thieving scam artists over there. They generally disappear quickly after that....lol
 jobi07
Msg: 317
Posted: 2/4/2007 10:35:23 AM
Hi there are more Scams here then any those places and people going saying what is not true on like some people here lying looking one night stand why they are married.
 thegreatone_37209
Msg: 323
Posted: 2/4/2007 11:17:34 AM
HECK YES I BELIEVE PAID DATING SITES HAVE RUSSIAN AND NIGERIAN SCAMS CUZ THIS DATING SITE DOESNT HAVE IT IF IT HAS I HAVENT RUN INTO IT YET BESIDES ITS CRAP OK SERIOUS SINGLE PEOPLE ARE ON HERE ENJOYING MEETING OTHERS HOPEFULLY RESPONSIBLY AND NOT TO HURT ANYONE IF I HAD ANY POWER WHATSOEVER I WOULD INSTALL SOME KIND OF PROGRAM ON THIS SITE TO BLOCK ANY SCAMS FROM NIGERIANS AND RUSSIANS OR WHEREVER THAT TRY TO SCAM US CUZ WE ARE ON HERE TO HAVE FUN TALKIN SHARING INTERESTS AND MEETING NEW PEOPLE NOT TO PLAY AROUND WITH THIS CHILDISH RUSSIAN AND CHILDISH NIGERIAN SCAMS THOSE PEOPLE TO ME ARE ****IN S AND QUEERS
 cessnapilot988
Msg: 333
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2007 11:34:45 AM
yes they are quite few out there on websites.....be ware..and get rid of them fast............................i always tell them to get a job!
 mjk_mike
Msg: 336
Posted: 2/4/2007 11:40:37 AM
You must becarefull with Russian women scammers as they use innocent people for there photos and Nigerians women scammers are often men pretending to be women
 Aurora616
Msg: 343
Posted: 2/4/2007 12:09:52 PM
My dopey ex boyfriend had over 100 pages of fake photos, love notes,ect. He actually believed the cute "hottie" in the photo was writing him!! I told him it was a scam and he didn't believe me. I said"Watch out, next,she'll be asking for money!!" Instead of putting a down payment on the car he'd promised to me for 4 yrs.he sent the money to "her"(probably a guy named Boris laughing all the way to the bank!!) She asked for money for her visa to come see him so they could make"beautiful lovers!!"Get married, have kids",and she would take care of him," be his partner in every way". She was looking for "true Love!!!" And she was sure He was "the right man for her!!" I told him it was a lot of BS and look online to see Russians Bride Scams , there are 10,000 pages!!! With photos!!! He'd already sent at least $450. andProbably a $1000 !!! Needless to say, I am still driving my old car!!If any of you guys get the impluse, I'll be happy to write you lots of "Love" letters w/ cute photos, just don't waste your $$ sending it to a Russian girl named Boris!! Send it to me! I still need a nice car! And I am at least real and honest!!!
 Aurora616
Msg: 346
Posted: 2/4/2007 12:14:56 PM
Yes, it does make you stupid for being dumb enough to think a gorgeous girl in Russia or Nigeria would need you for anything else but money!! If it was for love surely she could find a man in her own country!!! Think with the head on your shoulders!!! Not the other one!!!
 smith2267
Msg: 351
Posted: 2/4/2007 12:48:59 PM
I've run into them on POF. But probably fewer than on the paid sites.
 zodiacbee
Msg: 367
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2007 2:56:05 PM
I honestly get the scammers on Yahoo Messenger...daily.
 Teddy Bear Lover 4 U
Msg: 369
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2007 3:03:36 PM
Most of the scams I run into are on paid sites singels is the main one so far and the women are always so young and beautiful !! Most of the pictures come from live jurnels of models!!
If you know you are being scamed make demands of them to see what they are willing to do for the money!! Never send them money or your real pictures because what you send them they can use to scam other people!!

You can also check the header and if it has The Bat or BAT!!
99.9 chances it came from a scamer!!
 nygoaltender
Msg: 371
Posted: 2/4/2007 3:06:37 PM
I've encountered quite a few russian/nigerian scammers on other sites but only 1 on POF. Whenever a woman writes me and says I'm handsome, I know she's a scammer! Haha!!!
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >