Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Dutch gym to introduce 'Naked Sunday'      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ottawa_Chicklet
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Dutch gym to introduce 'Naked Sunday' Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Like the famous Seinfeld episode, there are things you just shouldn't do naked. Like working out. Swimming? fine. Deep squats? Definitly not!
 Thatguy67
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Dutch gym to introduce 'Naked Sunday'
Posted: 2/6/2007 8:23:46 PM
As long as they burn the old seats and have new seats installed by Monday.
 Trees202
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/10/2007 8:50:31 PM
hahahah I wanna go! and if I was not the "least attractive" person there...I'd probably join in!...save for sanitation issues...maybe we can have "panties workout day"!

sexy...kinda.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2007 9:45:35 PM
The Dutch are really far ahead of North Americans in so many ways. I've really come to really respect and love the Dutch, based on my interactions with them.

When you are terminally ill in the Netherlands, you can seek assisted suicide. When you are dying, if at home, you can actually get a refrigerated mattress pad that can be used by your family after your death to allow them the time to prepare your body. Those types of things, socially, are light years ahead of how we run our lives here.

Since the people know that it's "Naked Sunday", the people that will go will not have a problem with it. They have a much more progressive attitude in regards to sex and nudity than most of North America. Quebec's got the same type of mindset, but the Dutch are still ahead of us. They have an excellent record of teaching children about sexuality, and ensuring they actually know what they are doing.

The Netherlands has the lowest teen pregnancy rate in Europe. Social attitudes to teenage sex and pregnancy are very different to those in the UK.

In Holland, there is social stigma attached to getting pregnant, while in some poor areas of the UK, pregnancy has become normalised.

Children are taught openly about sex both at home and at school - and they are expected to deal with sex responsibly.

Contraception is promoted for its health benefits by Dutch doctors. Many young women start using the pill before they begin having sex.

If all else fails, abortion is considered a more acceptable option than in some parts of the UK.

The Netherlands defies theories that openness encourages sex.

Surveys show that teenagers in the Netherlands are likely to start having sex on average a year later than their British counterparts. In the Netherlands, 58% of teenage girls discuss pregnancy with their partners, compared to 30% in the UK.

Roger Ingham, who has done comparative studies of the two countries for the Centre for Sexual Health Research at the University of Southampton, says openness is the answer.

"If anything, as the results from recent assessments of sex education make clear, earlier and more open sex education is likely to lead to improved sexual health through more competent interactions."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/special_report/1999/04/99/teen_pregnancy/319869.stm

Compare that to the records of the USA and Canada, and they outperform us in every regard.

As for germs, I'm pretty sure the Dutch will take all measures to eliminate that problem.
 Sweet J-me Baby
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/27/2008 10:48:55 AM
oh my, what next!?! The last thing I need to see is a naked dude grunting out a set of squats or dead lifts..and it would not matter how cute or buff he is!
 ErehwonEnoon
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 5/27/2008 11:42:41 AM
I'm not exactly sure if the comments posted on this topic are puerile or prudish. I concede, that I would feel uncomfortable displaying my middle age body in public. On the other hand, Naturists don't go around naked because they are exhibiting their bodies. They do it because they like to walk around unencumbered by clothes. I used to go on solo moonlight dips in the pool (sans vĂȘtements) and it had the sensation of sliding through the water instead of swimming.

Sanitation really is a non issue if their facility is like the one I go on. Everyone wipes down the equipment after they use it anyway. In my case, I tend to have extremely strenuous workouts and I have sweat cascading out of every pore and my clothing becomes drenched. So in my case, wiping isn't optional it is necessary. After I have run for about a mile, and biked for about five, I already lay a towel on the equipment when I switch over to weights.

The comments alluding to sexuality highlights the neuroticism of our society. Being turned on is a function of your mind. The most sexually obsessed culture used to put pantaloons on piano legs. Naturists have a more mature attitude. (once again, I might have a hard time initially encountering a Naturist).

Did you actually notice how many Naturists there are in the Netherlands? If I was a member of the fitness club, and I was uncomfortable with walking around nude, I just wouldn't work out on Sundays. However, I believe the club owner has the right to offer his facilities to this fairly sizable group.
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Dutch gym to introduce 'Naked Sunday'