Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 eternalknight
Msg: 129
view profile
History
artistic/creative people and relationshipsPage 2 of 16    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)
I have noticed, that with most artistic people, their interests and their tastes are more likely to be less "mainstream" than those of non-artistic people.
I'd suspect that this is due to the fact that artistic and creative people are more likely to think independantly, and are less likely to be followers of trends.

Perhaps this may make them an unlikely match, for a brainless follower of every popular trend?

Exactly.
One thing I can't stand is mindless trends.
Trends are only created to relieve people of their cash. I would much rather create my own entertainment, than to sit and watch most of the trendy crap that's on television or read what's in some of the magazines that are out there.
It's much more fun and rewarding to create art than it is to be exposed to what some would consider to be "art".
 Dr.Strange
Msg: 130
artistic/creative people and relationships
Posted: 3/29/2007 2:52:22 PM
First of all I'd like to open up by saying Artistic People can be very moody People
look at rock stars............

Do people who are artistically talented, tend to seek out relationships with other artistic people?

Hell no I wouldn't want to live with an Artist..............lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does a creative person feel that they have more in common, with another creative person?

In some ways Yes ,but it doesn't necessarily mean it would gravitate towards needing a relationship with another Artistic Person.

Does an artist feel they'd be better understood, or their talents more appreciated by another artist?

Any Artist that lets You enter their world wants to know Your thoughts,be it another Artist or someone who is not most Artists I have met seem to be looking for a balance in their life some have been lucky enough to find it and others have not....

Do you intentionally seek out other artistic/creative people?
Have you had relationships with artistic and/or non-artisic people? and did you notice a difference in compatability between the two?

When it comes to relationships Artist are no more special than anyone else in matters of the Heart,Artists are just more sensitive............

Non-artistic people:
Have you had any experiences with dating, or relationships, with artistic people?
Did you feel that you were able to rlate to them?

Of course non-artistic People can relate to them some of mankind's most influential People have been sculptors musicians poets painters.............etc.

besides Artist are dam sexy in body mind and soul.....
 SuperFunGuy
Msg: 135
Posted: 3/29/2007 10:20:07 PM
Everyone's different. I like people who are artistic and creative.

For myself, I'm very artistic, very gifted, I have a wild, creative, expressive imagination. When I look at a blank mural. All I see in the end is this amazing piece that I have done. Can't explain it. I just do what I do. If it turns heads, gets people attention, then I know I'm on track.
 *buzz*
Msg: 143
view profile
History
Posted: 4/2/2007 12:20:41 PM
I think that everybody possesses some dose of creativity; how otherwise two people would get into talking or more? But whether creativity turns into an artistic streak, hmmm ... one also has find themselves as if 'being in the right place at the right time', hence so many i.e. painters recognized long after their death.

... and in relationship? I don't have any deep rooted artistic gut but without creativity, regardless how well charged or only in delicate portions, a healthy relationship would not survive.

P.S.
Don't they say that the best things come in small packages?
 kasandroid
Msg: 145
Posted: 4/2/2007 4:37:51 PM
I haven't had a wicked orgasism (if that is how it's spelled) in a long time by an awesome boyfriend, I haven't had an awesome boyfriend in a while, I haven't painted in a very long while..........hmm maybe Love is The Muse. Maybe my profile might be a little less CRABBY............

I don't care if the guy isn't an artist, just please don't be braindead, or another drone, and please take over the areas that involve math that would be Sweet. I hate Math. You can keep track of how many orgasisms ya give me too, one's good for the day, but hey if you wanna keep going you keep counting, I'll be busy enjoying the passionate parts.

Note: this does not mean I want an intimate encounter, in fact I am so fed up with the men around here and the games they play, if you wanna have sex you have to sign a contract pretending to be my boyfriend (including boyfriend duties) for 3 months. Failure to abide by this contract can result in me pretending to be pregnant, spreading viscious slander (a great hobby for people in this town), calling 50 times a day, drawing pictures of your penis, making it smaller and more crooked, etc. Or just pay a flat fee of 100 bucks and call me a whore, (and the above harrassment will be dropped) just cause you are too lazy to make an effort in a relationship. Yeah us artists need food too, we are sick of eating paint. JK

kasandroid
Msg: 149
Posted: 4/2/2007 5:46:21 PM
Good reason not to date you, holy another attack on people who think outside the box. Since I'm an artist I'll go slit my wrists now, no hope for me in this big bad world.

kasandroid
Msg: 152
Posted: 4/2/2007 6:30:29 PM
OMFG so now I have to really commit suicide? Ok I know it was a bad joke, sorry.

It's funny, so if your an artist automatically you paint with blood or body parts, must be Satanic? Funny the stuff I paint is usually bright and cheerful but because I can be Sarcastic and Jaded as well I must be a Manson Groupie? EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Me thinks I shall go make some sculptures of Boogers now..........................least Boogers Don't Talk Back
 kasandroid
Msg: 153
Posted: 4/2/2007 6:41:16 PM
Oh and one more thing:

Can't have Light and not have darkness, can't have the Sun without the Moon, can't have Heaven without Hell, can't have Yin without Yang, can't have a Glass being half full without it being half empty, and Yaddah Yaddah ya.

kasandroid
Msg: 155
Posted: 4/2/2007 8:40:47 PM
I think you completely missed all of my points.

Judge me as you wish, I will continue to be RIGHT-BRAIN DOMINATE, and have a blast all the way.

There is a reason why the world needs Poets, Artists, Writers, Musicians, Philospher's, and Comedians. When you figure it out feel free to share.

I suppose there is also a reason why the world needs Jerry Springer Drones and so forth. Or married people trollin the waters because THEY NEVER HAD ENOUGH OF AN IMAGINATION to spice up their own marriage.
 kasandroid
Msg: 156
Posted: 4/2/2007 9:39:26 PM
And FYI my dark-side or whatever you wanna call it has nothing to do with being an artist. It has something to do with the rude, ignorant, selfish people, of society. And yes since I was a CROWN WARD I have seen all aspects of society.

If it wasn't for my art who knows what would have happened, of course a person like you would prolly wish I did commit suicide. Oh well too bad for you so sad, just on purpose I'm gonna keep living just to piss you off further. NA NA.

And obviously not all people with Depression are artists. Last I heard one in four Canadians, suffer or have suffered with various types of Depression. Since people are so wonderful today that is not a surprising statistic.

Your the type of person who sees the glass as half-full? Well the next time you see someone who thinks it's half-empty don't be a JACKASS, fill their GLASS.

Peace Out
 Dr.Strange
Msg: 158
Posted: 4/2/2007 10:09:53 PM

being in a realationship with non artists can be refreshing
some/most artists/musicians are either flakes or drama queens.......
many tap into drugs or booze to trigger their muse
BUT they are also more interesting people,in many ways

thats because normal People drive them to drink and do drugs.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 161
Posted: 4/4/2007 3:01:48 AM
e-wok ~~

Ya can't google that way. If you want a real sense of the problem, you have to either hyphenate, or enclose in full quotes. Then you'll get this: Results 1 - 10 of about 11,800 for creativity/mental-illness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As a poet and sculptor, I'm willing to give points for creativity for anyone who is able to think outside the box, which includes physicists, mathematicians, auto mechanics and plumbers (among others). What I find, in a relationship, to be the sine qua non is that I am respected for what I do (even if it's not bringing home much bacon), and I'll return the favor.

Of course, if my mate is delighted with and fumboozled at my work, he will, of course, garner a few extra points, dontcha think?

kasandroid
Msg: 163
Posted: 4/6/2007 12:11:38 PM
Wow artists do crack and other drugs? I thought we were starving as well? Whose got free drugs? I need to paint a picture.

LMAO

Btw weed is not really a drug unless your a Chronic and you do the CHICKEN GRAM DANCE everyday. That means as soon as you run out of weed you start Freakin and running around like a chicken with it's head cut off, banging on all the apartment doors in the North end begging for a Gram. What's even more pathetic is when ya bring your offspring along. Lol learn to by more then a gram, give the dealers some space so they can enjoy their buzz in peace. LMAO

Disclaimer:I am not a Dealer

Hey also weed does not always lead to hard drugs, just another stupid Corporate myth. I've smoked grass before, never done crack, never done Meth. Never wanted to spend my money (when I have enough, lol) on something so retarded.

And if someone has Esophagitis and they smoke occassional weed, so they don't puke and so they CAN KEEP FOOD down, it doesn't make them a Druggie. SO BACK OFF and it's your Damage if you can't except that someone isn't feeling well, and would like to Eat FOOD like the Rest Of the HUMANS.

betterlate
Msg: 166
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2007 10:06:29 PM
yes, I had trouble explaining why I would stay up all night in the same position working on a painting.. to a non artist, they just dont get it... or why we dont want to watch TV, or cant pull ourselves away from a project to "be" with them.. so an artist knows exactly why you have to do that project.

So it is easier, and I feel one artist appreciates another persons's art... creativity and style and there is just nothing worse than hearing from someone that is a non artist.. that they dont like or get what you are working on.. opinion... unasked for....

BL
 betterlate
Msg: 167
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2007 10:18:56 PM
jannick, you are the one that painted "artistic" people as moon howlers and toilet painters... so back off !!!!!

and what could it take but muscles to do a massage?

Stick with your logical friends and please stay far away from the artistic people... you will just be made fun of...
Your post was dumb and then you defended it...so better not try to think that hard... just use your hands and some rocks and go rub someone that is logical..

BL
 yellowcotton
Msg: 168
Posted: 4/7/2007 10:38:03 PM
Nick said "I think that a key issue in relationships between people in creative professions (and their non-traditional work models) and people in traditional 9-5++ "physically demanding" jobs, is that many of the latter fail to see "work"/effort which is not based on traditional notions of what consistitutes (in their minds) "work" or "hard work", thus creating the potential for rifts in the relationship."

Boy does this ring true. I haven't worked in a while, but when I was working on a project, at a certain stage, I ate, slept and breathed it, in my mind, wherever I was. I couldwalk by someone, respond to a question, smile, and never remember I had spoken to them. It spooked people when they realized. Others just didn't get it. Some actually got jealous and did what ever they could to 'snap me out of it'. Weird.

I like artists as friends. They are comfy because they understand. But that doesn't mean they aren't practical. They have to be to survive. Just not all the time LOL.

As for a relationship, opposites attract. I want someone who is grounded in this world-solid-practical-the way I am when I am not creating/dreaming, (and truly alive) But they better have a sense of humour, because I know I will drive them crazy.
 mars_to_venus
Msg: 175
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2007 10:55:40 PM
I don't wanna mess with anyones administration ...I just wanna sell a few ringtones...lol!!
 p1an0man
Msg: 178
Posted: 4/11/2007 9:33:14 PM
Great question!

Being, myself, an artistic/creative people, I do quite often seek out like-minded people to hang out with. I've had relationships with both artsy fartsies and "normies," people without an artistic bone in their body, with varying results. There are hundreds of stereotypes that can be thrown around right now, but for me personally, the best relationship I had was with someone who wasn't very prolificly creative, but had an appreciation for and in-depth knowledge of the arts. We could still relate and talked often about all sorts of artsy things, went to galleries, concerts, book releases. It was a good situation because she didn't feel lost when I started working on projects and I didn't feel like she was an idiot or being apathetic when I got excited by an exhibit at the MOMA.

On the other end of the spectrum, I went out with a very, very art-oriented girl for a while that turned out to be disasterous because she became extremely emotionally dependent (beyond normal into unheathily so) and insecure, requiring my approval on everything creative she did or she would throw it out. That got to be a chore and a difficult situation to get out of.

I guess my point is that, while I do look for people who share my interests, it doesn't always mean we'll be compatible. A willingness to try new things and be open to new experiences can be as good as knowing all the nuances of Picasso's Blue Period or how to wire a homemade smoke detector.
 junipermoon
Msg: 179
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2007 4:29:05 AM
i love having someone as a co-creator, more or less...someone to bounce ideas around with.

but i can't stand 'yes-men.' these people can't stop complimenting my work. i don't need that. i need someone who can dig deep and challenge me to go beyond what i envision.
 Champuli Nam Pakanli
Msg: 181
Posted: 4/17/2007 4:28:52 AM
I play an instrument, and play in a community band. I am the President of the organization, and also run another organization that promotes community music to the Houston metropolitan area...most "normal" people don't understand the passion I have for music, or the passion I have for the two organizations I am in. So, I usually don't date them. But, I have found a few people who are still supportive, even though they really don't know anything about what I do. But, to answer your question, out of my 30 years on this planet, I've dated 2 non-music people. Neither worked out, obviously. I tend to stick with other music/artistic nerds...
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 189
view profile
History
Posted: 4/18/2007 12:15:32 PM
Well, creativitity is a broad thing, in my view of it. You can see that at work, where there are some people that will do the exact same job, in the exact same way, for decades. Other people will see things, and say "why not" ?

Some people find comfort in doing things one way, and others see it as a death sentence for the soul. Personally, the world we live in today demands the ability to constantly recreate oneself, as great changes occur faster and faster in society , as each decade passes.

I see that a bit as life today being, in a strange sense, art.

Creative people , for me, tend to be more able to adapt in times such as we live in, in a much healthier way. Especially when it comes to relationships, creativity is one of the keys to keeping it fresh and interesting for both parties.
 pallyboy
Msg: 190
Posted: 4/18/2007 12:46:06 PM
I went to school for 4 years for art. Then ten years as a photographer and many more years as a multi instrument playing musician, When I was younger I also did a little acting. I don't need to be understood so much as I'ld rather understand you. Creative people can be endowed with a huge ego and two giant heads don't always fit well in the same house. For me it's a need to know what everyone else feels so I can record it somehow. I don't care who gets it. An artist does their thing for themselves because we have to. At the end of the day it's about the comfort someone can bring you. We want to share our feelings, or not, like everyone else and just want someone who can share theirs as well. Artists can be very passionate.
 pallyboy
Msg: 193
Posted: 4/20/2007 2:13:23 PM
Excuse me tramp. you are absolutely correct.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >