Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 202
artistic/creative people and relationshipsPage 3 of 16    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)
I think humans are a lot more creative/artistic than they're being given credit for. But also, a lot of that is beat out of them by parents and teachers before it's given a chance to take hold. In my observation, a lot actually fear it in others -- as if saluting it would then make it necessary for them to do something on their own, a something which they know is there but which terrifies them.

Case in point: I was married to an electrical design engineer who, according to his peers, was an f'ing genius at what he did. I thought that was way cool, and told him so. What I got in return for my own writing and sculpting was derision.

So ya -- I do look for someone who actually understands the value of what I do. And it hasn't always been artist types. But more often than not it has been. And that's an easier way to go, than checking out the coal miner on the off chance that he'll be able to. . . . Interestingly, mathematicians and physicists do better than one might expect.

ItsMargo
Msg: 206
view profile
History
artistic/creative people and relationships
Posted: 5/15/2007 10:02:15 AM
I am in awe of talent…. whatever its form. And appreciative of the tremendous effort it takes to create something from nothing.

Creative people bring a different level of awareness to life… they tend to make more interesting connections and are more observant. That is such a turn-on!
 bucsgirl
Msg: 210
view profile
History
Posted: 6/1/2007 3:57:24 PM
I believe that art is extremely personal, almost intimately so. One of the differences between artists and others is that their art is not only their work and livelihood, but it's a part of them, like exposing their souls through their medium. And it's visible to others to see and appreciate or criticize. Most people's work is not that widely exposed or visible.
It takes more than an ounce of courage to expose your inner self to people's critiques, so I admire all those who do, whether their particular art appeals to my taste or not. I like to think about what was in the artist's head and heart as they were creating.
I personally have always found creative individuals fascinating, interesting people.
 LittleMissScareAll
Msg: 218
Posted: 7/19/2007 11:30:28 PM
It would be nice to find another artistic/creative person. The person I dated for the longest period of time was also artistic.
 kasandroid
Msg: 221
Posted: 8/8/2007 8:45:30 PM
Okay lol, all I have to say here is just because someone is right brain-dominant doesn't mean they still don't use parts of their left hemisphere. Vice Versa. I mean okay the math thing may be out for some artists but hello unless an alien came and took away their left hemisphere (or they had a stroke or brain injury) they are still using that side for stuff. Like writing, speech. language, etc.

In classically trained musicians their Corpus Callosum (which connects both hemispheres) is larger then non-musicians, this is what helps them coordinate both hands in playing instruments as the 2 hemispheres must communicate rapidly.

This must be why I suck at learning guitar..............hello boyfriend with guitar skills lol where are you?

Oh and as for the personality temperaments it is not all black and white, an artist/non-artist can be parts of all four temperaments previously listed, and yaddah ya.

I think it is just really important for an ARTIST to find someone who has a PERSONALITY (that doesn't grate on their last nerve). LMAO
 Semiramis
Msg: 226
Posted: 11/11/2007 8:45:52 AM
My being, my entire state of mind is drawn to the experience of emotional and affective expression. When I come across that side of the population that is moulded differently, I find it intriguing.

With work, I find that mingling with uncreative individuals is great, as we complement each other well. They respond with reason, and I with gut. And in friendships, they get to the point, while I keep twisting the point into a coma. In the end, we find ourselves aiming at our target – dead on.

But when it comes to love, if my partner isn’t creative, curious and stirred by emotional states of being as I am, I would ache deeply. How could I possibly express my artistic side, my deepest wants and desires without an openness on the other end?

I need that opening, one I can draw from and feed into, or I would shrivel up and die.
 lancelotfl
Msg: 231
Posted: 11/12/2007 8:25:59 AM
Creative people exist in more areas than just painting, sculpture, etc. I design software systems and I think I'm very creative. I've invented a lot of applications that are on the leading edge of technology, and I enjoy doing that.

I'm attracted to people with imagination, spontaneous behavior, a love of life and a sense of humor that includes themselves. The fact that somebody can draw isn't a source of attraction for me.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 239
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2007 8:07:58 AM
"As I sit here smugly viewing my verbiage" Well verbiage is one word, true, using my creativity I could certainly think of a few others.

It's baffling how someone could rant about art and creativity. I guess you can go off on just about anything if you're so inclined.

What is art and what isn't is subjective, same with creative. IMO the only difference between the two is artistic works most commonly take some form are expressed via an artistic medium. Creativity is broader, and can be used for problem solving or decision making. All art is creative but not all creativity is art.

Either way it's something to be noted and appreciated, something created for enjoyment and stimulation of the senses. That's how I think of "art".

As far as relationships, there are those that can only be compatible with someone possessing similar tastes and mindsets and others whose range of compatibility isn't as limited.
 english lass
Msg: 240
Posted: 11/23/2007 8:08:29 AM
i enjoy the arts..

i enjoy going around art galleries, seeing the different ways people express themselves.... i've sketched and done some painting, even sold a few pieces when in africa... but if a guy was not interested in art i could live with that.. it's not a huge part of my life

however, i have loved the theatre since i was a very young lass and then worked in the theatre for several years before "settling down" with my ex and our children.. it's still something i have a passion for and i do feel very much like i'm "coming home" when i enter a theatre, even if just to see a production.. so if a man really despised the theatre that would be a bit of a barrier between us...

but it's just like anything in that way.. common interests are important whether they are to do with the arts or science or whatever, imo..
 mimosa
Msg: 241
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2007 8:22:53 AM
I think there's a subtle nuance between creative and artistic.
A housewife can take a bunch of lose ends and make something very creative, is she artistic not necessarily.
I personally am attracted to creativity no matter what form it takes.
It usually means an innovative and free thinker. Too much conservatism bores me.
 rustytalent
Msg: 244
view profile
History
Posted: 11/27/2007 7:48:07 PM
Great thread. I do find I need someone artistic/creative just because there interests are more likely to match up with mine. People who aren't in the same frame of mind 'don't get me'. And I am sure there are other artistic people out there who have had 'normal' people even look down on them. I know I have in the past. I just want someone who thinks like I do and understands me.
 Sweetenuff074
Msg: 248
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2007 9:26:09 PM
I have been in intimate platonic relationships with artists, but never in a physically intimate relationship with one. It's a special relationship to have a friend who you know exist and is around. That you don't always communicate with them being the two of you are doing your own thing. However, when you do get together to hang out it is so nice. Absolutely dbndon! The flow and intensity of exchanged energy is really great! Both of us absorbing and appreciating the flow.

I have opened my horizon so I can meet people with open minds( many artist are prone to have it), and so be it, I have been meeting them.

The enthusiasm of an artistic mind at the beach, in the woods walking to a waterfall, looking at a beautiful sunset, etc. Is a bit different from a non-artistic mind. Therefore sharing it with a non-artist puts a different spin on the experience. Not unless the non-artist enjoys the dispersement of energy you release while in the element that you enjoy/love.

Being an artist isn't a criteria I demand of one I'd be in a relationship with. However, having the ability to allow me to be me, not putting reigns on my personality, artistic/creative tendencies is.

I have never called a non-creative/artistic individual crazy because they have a different mindset from me. Yet, I've been called crazy by them.
 Wullis
Msg: 251
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2007 11:18:34 PM
I can not say that I have ever had a"relationship" with an artist

I would think it could be an amazing thing.........Collaberation (a beautiful word)

I have had a few dates with artists/musicians but many of them definately don't want the competition for attention. And have had women tell me that in those terms.

I have had relationships with women that "appreciated the arts" and that works out pretty good. They seem to enjoy the creative process and how it spills over into the rest of your life.

I also had one that didn't want my artist ventures to cut into 5 minutes of "her" time ....which was anytime I wasn't at work. That almost drove me out of my mind, things are crying to get out but you don't. You live in a hell alone to avoid living in a hell for two
 rory27
Msg: 256
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2007 1:36:58 PM

I sometimes find you can put people into 2 categories....

Creative and Intellectual.

Wow! That generalization had me shaking my head, too.

Just about every writer worth anything in a historical perspective, and almost all the writers I've known in my life, can easily be put into the category of "intellectual".

Even a so-called naturally "uneducated" genius like Dostoyevsky, though he despised intellectual circles and their socializing ilk, was nevertheless an intellectual giant.

One of the greatest poets to come out of the U.S., Wallace Stevens, was the vice-president of one of the country's top insurance agencies, a business where iron-clad logic is paramount. Yet, he, too, was a creative and intellectual genius.

I've heard this same argument by others, and my own take on it is that they're dreaming up a false dichotomy between "thinking" people and "feeling, intuitive" ones, and (of course) following that up by siding with the supposed "superior" "feeling"- types.

I may have commented on this thread before, but if not, the problem for some artistic individuals in a relationship (for a VERY small minority) is that their art consumes them: it is, indeed, their life. Any spouse or LTR partner is going to justifiably feel neglected in such a pairing. But, again, this is anomalous.

Far more common are other self-loving artist-wannabes who put on superior airs regarding their own talent and "authority", which plays in like manner with their partner, as well.

But, by far, the more positive reality is that a creative person, whatever avenue or profession that takes, tends to be much more interesting, curious, open-minded, young-hearted, and relationship-engaged than someone who (what's the opposite of creative?) does the same thing every day for the rest of their lives and is complacently OK with that.
 junipermoon
Msg: 257
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2007 1:43:12 PM
simply because someone uses left brain or right brain doesn't mean they have the market cornered on intellect or creativity.

was da vinci intellectual? look at his experiments. look at his anatomical diagrams. was he creative? look at 'virgin of the rocks.'

a razor-sharp scientific mind does not necessarily preclude creative genius.

Wallace Stevens, was the vice-president of one of the country's top insurance agencies, a business where iron-clad logic is paramount.

sidenote: please explain to my insurance company that logic is paramount. they missed that memo.
 fancynanci
Msg: 258
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2007 2:13:53 PM
I've been a singer/musician/artist my whole life. I have had relatioinships with creative men and not so creative men. If a man has an enormous heart, great passion and a zest for life, his creative talents don't much matter to me.
 beautifuldancer400
Msg: 264
Posted: 6/10/2008 5:15:54 PM
My dad owned a music studio and his sisters owned a dance studio. I grew up in both. I danced from the age of three and taught and performed for many years.

Except for once, (which didn't work out because we were too young) I've never dated anyone who I'd consider an artist. So far those relationships have bored me.

I find I connect quickly to musicians and artists and I would like to meet someone who understands me on this level. I'm just not sure I'd go out specifically looking for that.
 WeAre1
Msg: 267
view profile
History
Dating artistic/creative people and relationships
Posted: 6/10/2008 7:13:30 PM
I knew this thread sounded familiar - and realized why when I clicked on this last page of it and found my previous post as my previous identity at the top of this page!

Anyway, I'll try again, as it has been a few months since answering before - yes, basically, to the OPoster's questions. I am creative and I do find all my relationships are and have always been with creative people.....and, really, my close friendships are also with creative people.

Why? Because it is what naturally happens I find, and also because most people do have creativity in them. As I wrote before, I am attracted to people who tend to be creative and spiritual, for they seem to so often go together. It is just natural for me and them to attract each other and get along - perhaps because there is this innate thing we have in common and can appreciate in each other.

It is, basically, one of those essential areas of connection that gives a great basis for compatibility....never mind making music together, literally, is magical.
 Ferruginous
Msg: 270
Posted: 6/10/2008 8:37:55 PM

Creative:imaginative, and the opposite, unimaginative
hmmmm.
I think the comparison between creativity and imagination is interesting.

I suppose there's many examples of imaginative people proving to be creative, and unimaginative people proving to be non-creative.
However,
I think I may be a person who defies that example. I'm pretty imaginative. But I really have no type of creative talent.
 fancynanci
Msg: 272
view profile
History
Posted: 6/11/2008 2:04:19 PM
I don't seek out other artists/musicians.....just someone with a good heart
 godliketoaster
Msg: 279
Posted: 8/24/2008 12:55:55 PM
Everyone is creative, it's just "creative" people just know how to express it or are not scared to show their creative sides.
 submarinequeen
Msg: 285
Posted: 8/24/2008 9:01:19 PM
I am artistic, and in the past, I hadn't at that time met anyone like me, so, I didn't.
Now that things have changed, I very much would like to be with someone with whom I would be able to do joint ventures with in art. Somehow create together.
A lot of artistically swayed people are so much more open- minded as well, and have a lot more appreciation for women, and actually many things in general.
Also, they understand being "different", and are usually sympathetic, understanding and generally endearing, as well as a hell of a lot of fun, and non- judgemental. They like the real you, not just the pretty wrapper. Actually sometimes a pretty wrapper can be disturbing to an artist. I mean beautifully wrapped crap, is still crap. Although maybe to some crap is beautiful.... who knows.
*sorry, went off on a tangent*
 Ferruginous
Msg: 289
Posted: 8/25/2008 9:11:42 PM
post 304:
I have always wanted to date a creative man.
That's interesting. I've always wanted to date a creative woman.

For some reason, I consider women who are creative, or artisically talented, to be fascinating. Yet I am certainly not an artistic, or creative, person myself.

I usually suspect that an artistically talented women would find nothing about me to be interesting to her.
 TodaysCatch
Msg: 290
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2008 12:58:42 AM
Nice post. One date in 30 years actually gave a hoot that I perform/write/produce music. I guess I'm over it, but it just seems sad, since it's such a huge part of who I am. Many times a song I've written and/or performed has come on the radio or TV while I've been out with women, and they barely react when I make them aware of it. I'll get royalties long after I expire, and the thought of someone that doesn't care about the music cashing the checks it generates turns my stomach. I find that there's a correlation with artistic/creative ability and cooking as well.
 ClosetExtrovert
Msg: 294
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2009 1:10:28 AM
This is a very interesting discussion... As an artistically inclined person myself, this topic caught my eye right away.
I agree that there's much more to things than just 'Hey, I write sonnets and you paint. What time should I pick you up at?'
"Zest for life," as said by Fancynanci, is at the top of my list. An artistic inclination is a plus, but wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >