Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > The BEST crockpot recipes...please post yours~      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 curlygrl
Msg: 37
view profile
History
The BEST crockpot recipes...please post yours~Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Okay - I made the "To die for roast" with the
seasoning packets and it came out awesome. I
will deffinately make it again.

My next try is going to be Slow Cooker Thanksgiving Turkey Breast with Stuffing
That SparklingRose posted here - my favorite dinner in the whole world
is turkey and stuffing. The only Holiday I really can tolerate.

Now another contribution:

Pulled Pork -

Pork Tenderloin - 2lbs.
1 can or bottle of rootbeer or coke- I used rootbeer and I used about
a half a liter bottle. I covered the whole tenderloin in it.
Your favorite barbeque sauce - or homemade

Put the pork in the crockpot. Pour the soda over it. Cover and cook
for 6 to 7 hours on low.

Remove the pork - shred the pork with a fork. Dump out the soda.
Put the shredded pork back in with your favorite sauce. Cook on low for
about an hour. Grab a bun. Load it up and eat.

Stuff is good. God I love my crockpot. I never used one until a few
months ago. I make everything in it.
 Pyxxie
Msg: 38
The BEST crockpot recipes...please post yours~
Posted: 11/22/2009 1:05:41 AM
Wow,
I was given a crockpot for my birthday & love the Not Your Mother's Crock Pot cookbook idea since I just do the standard stew & roast in mine. I'm amazed at baking a cake in a crockpot... Miss W thanks for the roast recipe I have a beef roast I have to take out of the freezer to cook in the crockpot and needed an idea for it
 outofthedesert
Msg: 39
Posted: 11/22/2009 5:24:59 AM
My favorite crockpot cake is the Harvey Wallbanger cake. It also bakes well in the oven in a angelfood or bundt (my prefered) or a sheetcakepan. If you chose to bake it in the oven--use the temp and time from the box of the mix you purchased:
The Galliano liqueur and orange juice give this Harvey Wallbanger Crockpot Cake a wonderful flavor.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours, 00 minute
Ingredients:
•1 package pound cake mix
•3-1/2 ounce package instant vanilla or French vanilla pudding mix
•1/2 cup salad oil
•4 eggs
•1/4 cup Galliano liqueur
•3/4 cup orange juice
Preparation:
Beat all ingredients for 2 minutes in mixing bowl. Pour batter into greased coffee can or manufacturer's insert and cover. Bake in covered crockpot on high for 2 to 3 hours. Remove cake and dust with powdered sugar. I have also made a glaze with powdered sugar and orange juice or 2 parts oj to 1 part Galliano . I find to use the Galliano alone makes the glaze a bit strong. If you remember the rum cake that was all the rage for a while, the glaze could take your head off.

And for those not familiar with Galliano:Liquore Galliano L'Autentico, known more commonly as Galliano, is a sweet herbal liqueur created in 1896 by Italian distiller and brandy producer Arturo Vaccari of Livorno, Tuscany. Vaccari named the spirit after Giuseppe Galliano, an Italian hero of the First Italo–Ethiopian War at the end of the 19th century. Its vivid yellow color, currently derived from tartrazine (a lemon-yellow azo dye), symbolized the Gold Rushes of the 1890s.

Galliano has been formulated at both 60 proof (30% by volume) and 84.6 proof (42.3% by volume). The latter strength is the original recipe, as well as the recipe currently in use. The sweeter 60 proof version is being phased out[1]. Among its approximately 30 herbal ingredients are star anise, Mediterranean anise, ginger, and citrus and vanilla.

Galliano has a similar appearance to Strega, another Italian herbal liqueur. Galliano is sweet and has a complex, vanilla-anise flavor with subtle citrus and woodsy herbal under notes. It is used both as a digestif (meant for drinking after heavy meals), and as an ingredient for****ails, most notably the Harvey Wallbanger.

The vanilla top note differentiates Galliano from other anise-flavored liqueurs such as Sambuca, Pernod, or Anisette. Galliano is produced by first infusing grain-neutral alcohol with the herbal flavoring agents, distilling the liquid, and then infusing with pressed vanilla. In the final production stage, the vanilla-herb base infusion is blended with distilled water, refined sugar and pure neutral alcohol.

The Galliano brand is currently owned by Dutch distiller Lucas Bols, and marketed through its worldwide distribution joint venture, Maxxium. Galliano is packaged in a distinctively-shaped bottle, which is reminiscent of a classical Roman column.[2] Several other liqueurs are also produced under the Galliano brand name, including a black Sambuca, a white Sambuca and an amaretto, which are predominantly distributed in Australasia,[3] where the products are popular as shooters. Galliano also makes Galliano Ristretto coffee flavored liqueur and Galliano Balsamico, presumably a balsamic vinegar infused liqueur.

Galliano is the key ingredient of the Harvey Wallbanger. Because of this, popular drinks made with a float of Galliano often include the words "wall" and/or "bang" in their names. An example of this is the Hillary Wallbanger, a white wine–based version of the Harvey Wallbanger.

Galliano is also a key ingredient in mixed****ails such as the Yellow Bird, Golden Cadillac, Golden Dream, Bon Voyage, Sailor Venus, and Flaming Lamborghini.

I would think you could make this cake using any other flavors you liked.
 Dobes
Msg: 40
Posted: 11/22/2009 8:15:34 AM
Curlygrl, I'm going to try your Smashed Pea and Barley Soup. Sounds good and I think my daughter will love it!
 _countrygirl
Msg: 41
Posted: 1/17/2010 1:24:57 PM
Cold outside want more recipes please......

Chicken Open-Faced Sandwiches and Mashed Potatoes

2 15 ounce can whole potatoes,not drained
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast,cooked and cut thinly
2 12 ounce jars fat free chicken flavored gravy
1/2 cup skim milk
2 ounce fat free cream cheese
1 tablespoon margarine
5 slices white bread

Put both cans of potatoes in bottom of slow cooker.
Make a bowl out of heavy duty 18 inch wide aluminum foil by pressing
the foil into the slow cooker. let the bottom of foil bowl rest on top of potatoes.Fold remaining foil over the edge of cooker and let the extra foil overhang on the outside of the slow cooker
Gently stir together chicken and gravy in foil blow.
Cover and cook for 3 hours.
Remove foil bowl of chicken and gravy
drain water from potatoes.
In slow cooker add the potatoes to the milk,cream cheese and margarine.Brak up potatoes.With mixer meduim speed beat together all of ingredients in the slow cooker to make mased potatoes.If desired more milk can be added.
Set out five dinner plates.On each plate place 1 slice of bread.Put 1 cup of meat and gravy on the bread and 1/2 cup mashed potatoes next to it.Serve immediately.

have not tried this yet but found it in cookbooka nd had to post.
Does't it sound yummy?!
 jelunc
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2010 3:27:11 PM
I quit eating meat some time ago, so I cannot vouch for those recipes.
Those non-meat recipes that I have made from this site have all been excellent.

http://www.50plusfriends.com/cookbook/index.html

Good luck.
 Houstongirl2
Msg: 43
Posted: 1/18/2010 12:04:13 PM
For my Christmas dinner this year I cooked my turkey breast in my crockpot. I just did a search online for recipes. Only thing is that I had to wake up at 3am to put it in the crockpot so it would be ready at 1pm for lunch :) Can't remember exactly what the recipe was, it was pretty much just the turkey breast, some chicken stock, cut up a whole onion and some celery and seasoned it with salt, pepper and garlic powder. It was excellent! And sooooo easy. I used the drained stock after cooking to make gravy.
 mlh098
Msg: 44
Posted: 1/25/2010 7:57:57 AM
Cowboy Casserole

1 onion chopped
1 1/2 lbs. ground chuck, browned and drained( or ground turkey)
6 medium potatoes, sliced
1 can red beans
1 can tomatoes mixed with 2 tbsp. flour or 1 can tomato soup
salt
pepper
garlic

Put chopped onion in the bottom of the slow coooker/ crock pot, layer with browned ground beef, sliced potatoes, and beans, spread tomatoes or soup over all. sprinkle with seasoning as desired. cover and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours. serves 4 to 6.
 Liz463
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2010 6:39:02 AM
Mine is really simple but very good.

I get a rack of spareribs, turn the crockpot on low; rub salt and pepper (and sometimes garlic) on the ribs, roll up and put in crockpot so the ribs are standing up. Drizzle Barbeque sauce down over them. Add a small amount of water to cover bottom. Let cook on low all day while I'm at work. When I get home I line a cookie sheet with foil and turn on the broiler. I take the ribs out of the crock pot (they are tender so I use heavy duty tongs so they don't fall apart too much) and place on the foil, cover with more barbeque sauce and broil in the oven until the sauce is nice and bubbly and the ribs have crisped up some.

So nice to have ribs in the winter when you can't get to the outdoor grill!!
 _countrygirl
Msg: 46
Posted: 2/1/2010 6:17:25 PM
Ahhhh...this is what I hate.What spices how much? What setting to put crockpot on?
Iam not a talented cook.
 curlygrl
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2010 4:39:32 PM
^^^^ SparklingRose - I did your turkey breast with
the stuffing - followed the recipe to a tee. EXCELLENT.

Thank you thank you thank you!

The only thing I did was cut some liquid because of the stuffing not
to come out watery.

I also threw in some chopped apples and cran raisins.

The apples added more liquid as they cooked down so I cut some
liquid.
 texasbaby
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2011 10:28:12 AM
This is a good thread for those who are looking for crockpot/slow cooker recipes. Three pages worth of ideas ~ thread search is your friend.
My favorite use of the slow cooker is for beans, I cooked baby limas and ham earlier this week.

tb
 RubyWaxxx
Msg: 49
Posted: 5/7/2011 11:21:51 AM
I remember this thread now, TB!
Thanks!
My first-ever attempt at crockpot cooking turned out yum- but more seasoning was needed. I think I need to be heavier-handed with herbs, etc when using beef.
 RubyWaxxx
Msg: 50
Posted: 5/7/2011 3:00:29 PM
Crockpot question:
I'm thinking beetroot. It takes forever to cook - how about borscht? Has anyone made it in a slow cooker?
With beans, do you have to soak them first?
OMG my head is spinning with ideas here! Loved the lamb shank recipe above..delicious!
 FyrKrakn
Msg: 51
Posted: 5/7/2011 8:37:34 PM
I have a small pot, will have to think through these for portions. I don't have recipes, exactly, just throw ingredients in. I love doing various chowders, a corn or clam are my favorites. Since I have been looking for bean options to potatoes, I found I can do a chowder like soup that is delicious with white beans.

I cook beans almost daily in my pot, I use a 6 to 1 or better water ratio. Rinse and sort the beans, set in pot, salt and pepper and other season but always add about 1/4 C favorite vinegar. Let soak overnight, it destroys the gas factor. Put on low. Your 10 hours away from home should be perfect, sometimes more. I use a standard outlet timer to shut it off after 14 in case I work a double.
 curlygrl
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2011 5:53:08 AM
Beans are excellent in a crockpot.

I do 16 beans. Can of crushed tomatoes.
Can of beef broth. Sausage and beef, pork and
veal mix - roll into little meatballs.

Carrots, celery and onion. Lots of spices-
basil, Italian seasoning, pepper and bay leaf.

Soak beans overnight. Dump in crockpot.

Season meat with grated cheese, pepper, italian
seasonings. Just brown the meatballs in skillet.
Cut up an onion and garlic and fry in meat juices
with a little olive oil from frying the meatballs.

Dump that on top of beans in crockpot. Add
meatballs, vegtables, crushed tomatoes and
beef broth.

Let cook all day until beans are soft.

I made this alot over the winter.
 texasbaby
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2011 6:36:43 AM
I've never soaked beans before cooking, just a personal choice like so many things with cooking. They cook just fine in the crockpot, either way.

tb
 RubyWaxxx
Msg: 54
Posted: 5/8/2011 2:20:10 PM
Thanks, girls. curly, that sounds fantastic!
I was amazed at how brown the meat turned out in the crockpot without searing it first. I can see why people use a lot of seasoning though. Even though it cooked for 12 hours, the flavours weren't as developed as stove-top cooking.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 55
Posted: 5/8/2011 2:35:16 PM
I was amazed at how brown the meat turned out in the crockpot without searing it first. I can see why people use a lot of seasoning though. Even though it cooked for 12 hours, the flavours weren't as developed as stove-top cooking.

Low heat is good for adding flavors to meats, via flavor bases ie. Trinities. (chopped onions, bell peppers, and celery plus condiments, seasonings, herbs, or spices)

High heat changes the flavor of a protein.

This is caused by a chemical process called the Maillard* reaction, which is responsible for browning and flavor development, and will only happen in temperatures of at least 310°F.

That is why if you sear your meat before you put it in the slow cooker you have the best off all worlds.

*Maillard Reaction
Pronunciation: my-YARD

Definition: The Maillard reaction is a culinary phenomenon that occurs when proteins in meat are heated to temperatures of 310°F or higher, causing them to turn brown.

Named for the French chemist Louis-Camille Maillard who discovered the process at the start of the 20th century, the Maillard reaction is similar to the process of caramelization, where carbohydrates like sugar turn brown when heated.

Also Known As: "Caramelization." Note that while caramelization is not the identical chemical process as the Maillard reaction, only the most pedantic hairsplitter would actually take the trouble to correct you on it. Also simply referred to as "browning."

The Maillard reaction is the principle behind the browning of meat when it is seared as a prelude to braising it. This process creates a thick, dark-brown crust on the surface of the meat that enhances its appearance and flavor, and can only be created by high-temperature, dry-heat cooking

http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/glossary/g/maillard.htm
 RubyWaxxx
Msg: 56
Posted: 5/8/2011 2:49:07 PM
^^Although I did fry onion, garlic and celery before adding to the pot and used a variety of vegetables as well as herbs, the meal didn't have that really deep melding of flavours. I will definitely sear beforehand, though. Thanks Frank.
 FyrKrakn
Msg: 57
Posted: 5/9/2011 2:40:09 PM
I do prefer to sear my meeat first, better flavor.

Bean soaking is to cut down on stove top time, but has been found de decrease belly gas, especially if the beans are old. If you plan on tossing the soak water before cooking then add 1/4 cup of vinegar in the soak and extra salt. This also helps keep the gas down.
 spark_in_the_dark
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2011 12:24:22 PM
Slow Cooker Jerk Chicken Recipe

3-4 lbs chicken
1 onion minced
1 habanero pepper (for a non-spicy jerk chicken use a jalapeno pepper instead)
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp lime juice
1 ½ tbsp brown sugar, packed
1 ½ tbsp dry mustard powder
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp thyme
½ tsp allspice
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp sage
½ tsp salt
½ tsp smoked paprika

Combine all ingredients except chicken in a blender or food processor.
Cook in slow cooker 6-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high.

Alternative: Triple marinade recipe and add 1 cup chicken stock to slow cooker to make enough sauce to pour over rice.

Comes out perfectly every time!
 LoveBeautifulDays
Msg: 59
Posted: 4/1/2013 1:44:45 PM
I dont have a crock pot. sniffle
 ontheotherhand
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2018 7:46:23 PM
Butter Chicken

Cube 1-2 lb(s) chicken breast
1 diced onion
2-3 minced cloves of garlic
3 tsp garam masala
1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 can tomato paste 6 oz

Stir together in crock pot. 2 -4 hrs on high, 4-6 hrs on low.

Add 1 cup non fat Greek yogurt just before serving. Mix well. Serve over rice.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > The BEST crockpot recipes...please post yours~