Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 canyunflyer
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Over 50-Where do you go when you are lonely?Page 2 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Wait. If I remember right, I think Ricky Nelson said... theres a place called. "lonesome town... where the broken hearts go"..... Maybe we could all meet there?

Ok........ here I go again.... making , this long enough to post.

How come the rest of you can post one sentence post ???????????????????????
 Easee1
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Over 50-Where do you go when you are lonely?
Posted: 4/1/2007 8:05:04 AM
I am 55 and I met a man that was 20 years younger than me at ShugaMama.com 6 mos ago and I must say that I was a bit skeptical about this whole idea of dating a younger man. Now 6 mos later, I am the happiest that I have ever been in a very long time. I say go for it ladies !!
 HonestJohn59
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 4/8/2007 6:44:34 PM
I just also moved to a small town in PA and don't know anybody around. I too am in the same dilemma. What is one to do to meet other people. I'm 47 and don't do the bar scene and don't like to go out solo. I'm trying this online thing again hoping that I have better results than the previous two times.
 tinkerbellcgy
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 4/19/2007 6:14:03 PM
How very nice to have my posts missed. Ironically, I posted just yesterday in the single, never married thread voicing an opinion from one of those individuals who has chosen not to marry.

On topic - Where do I go when I'm lonely - hmmmm, I don't often get lonely because I enjoy my own company. I am very fortunate that I can "lose myself" in a book, out in the garden, surfing on sites such as these and a myriad of other activities that keep me out of mischief.

We all have been given different coping skills and I feel very fortunate that I am able to fully utilize those that have been given to me.

Tink
 Tweetiepie
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 4/20/2007 3:55:05 AM
I go out to a music session in a pub nearby and they can be found everyday of the week if you have the information.

I sing and play mandolin---we all meet in a particular pub on a set day of the month and just play and sing together--all very informal and bast of all fun! Folk music mainly!

This week was the third tuesday session---the third wednesday at another pub---tonight is the third Friday at a pub in Wantage---it goes on--so this will be my third night of music this week. It is a small world and we all get to know each other wherever we are--within the locality! Next week I will spread my wings and fly all the way to Slough as there is supposed to be a nice singer songwriter 2 of my muso friends think I will like!

Music is my world and a wonderful friendly one. With festivals all over the country.

I also go and walk around the shops somewhere and enjoy the buzz!

TWEETS XXX
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 92
Posted: 8/26/2007 9:55:29 AM
...There are definite advantges to living in a larger city is that there are a variety of things one can do on their own if they so desire. I am fortunate in that I still have teenagers at home, work full-time and have a pretty good social life. There are few times that I feel lonely...not saying that it doesn't happen....but I also think that I have to look at the frame of mind I'm in when I feel this way...is it because the kids are gone, the weathers grey and cloudy, am I tired? These things come into play for me so its just a matter of riding these feelings out sometimes.

So with that being said I guess its a matter of getting yourself into a different head space, thats where you go.

maeflowers
 Donnchadh
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2007 10:20:54 AM
What works for me is to keep occupied, doing something you find interesting. And no, I'm not talking about watching TV.

If you have a hobby, join others with the same interest.

The best outlet is to volunteer: there are many worthy causes out there that need all the help they can find.

If you like music, seek out the bands and concerts that play the kind you like.

Over the last couple of years, I have really gotten hooked on Irish trad. As a result, I have been able to meet other people who enjoy this music and it has been a very satisfying outlet for me.

Follow your interests; you will meet others with similiar values.

Donnchadh
 moraima
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2007 10:48:49 AM
Lonely? I used to know what that felt like. I am happy that the lonelies are long since gone from my life. If I want company, I can visit a long term friend, or do many things that I enjoy.

I used to dread long lonely weekends. Now what I dread is long weekends aren't long enough to fit in all I want to do.
 wants2bwu
Msg: 98
Posted: 8/26/2007 2:27:52 PM
I head to the dance hall or call friends.....just being out in public shopping cuz you can strike up a conversation about styles, colors etc.

This is not the place for this but is there a place for new comers on Fish in forums?
 shar54
Msg: 99
Posted: 8/26/2007 2:33:53 PM
I work in retail sales and what you said really rings true!!! I have met and conversed with many people who often return to the shop just to say Hi! and see how I am doing!!!! Not all retail clerks are that outgoing, but I find you get better sales and more repeat customers if you do chat---and not always about the merchandise!! I also visit a local cafe every morning as there are always people to meet and visit with!! I recently had a lunch date with a new man at this cafe and the girls were all checking him out to see if he was "good enough" for me!! These people are like family to me and are concerned if I don't come in for my morning coffee and chat. You can make some great friends over coffee in a cafe.
You can even learn more about the town you live in. People you chat with can give you recommendations on great restarants to visit--local theater--museums etc.
 moraima
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2007 4:19:20 PM
"I have been on my own for 15 years, and in that time have learned to be my own best friend:

Wise, wise words. If you aren't you own best friend, what is stopping you? Baggage. Get rid of it, and move on to the best time of your life.

Lonely?...........I don't be thinking so. That would be boring, and we don't do boring.
 joebobbriggs
Msg: 101
Posted: 8/26/2007 6:21:53 PM
What to do (at any age) to prevent and deal with loneliness?

- Develop hobbies - find local clubs - rock hound, bird watchers, debate clubs, the list is endless. Check the local paper under notices - you'll find local clubs meeting even in rural areas.

- Volunteer for charities - even the local volunteer fire dept. - if they don't think you are physically able - then ask to help maintain the equipment or help in fund raising - all VFD's have to raise money.

- Develop a charity - find a local need - recruit others.

- If in a rural town - branch out to an Area - 25-50 miles.

- Check out any opportunities for low pay - very part time work with the Forrest Service - litter control - fire watch, etc.

- Scour the local telephone book yellow pages and google your town and county. Check for locally based - locally oriented websites.

- Brew your own fuel - yes that is what I said. Many local clubs - cooperatives are involved - home brewing and at a cooperative building in making fuels like biodiesel. Get a Volkswagen Jetta TDI and run biodiesel for less than a dollar a gallon at 40 miles to the gallon. The web - Yahoo Groups is filled with self-help groups brewing biofuels.

- Go Solar - partial heating source for your isolated country home. Along with area club members and on-line learn how to heat hot water via a simple cost effective solar panels you can build yourself - all over the net - google - Yahoo Groups. Cut your home energy bills.

I could list about a hundred more...

- Use your imagination...

JoeBob
 Spence56
Msg: 106
Posted: 8/27/2007 12:52:23 PM
Well, usually I just go to bed! Like last weekend! Both days sleeping 24 hours. That's 48 hours of NOT doing laundry. Now I have a pile of laundry that is NEARLY as tall as me! That really sucks cause I'm WAY past my emergency underwear and wearing boat shoes cause they don't need socks!!!

But I hear that grocery stores are great places to meet women, especially since I'm a pathetic cook (it's all chemistry to me). Also, I hear that a lot of women from where I used to work in Aerospace have started learning to golf. You meet a better class of men when you are on a golf course than just about any other place!

Hope that helps!
 Gentleman Joe
Msg: 107
Posted: 8/27/2007 1:28:05 PM
Is there a Bingo Hall or something in the area. Or sometimes Bowling leagues help. Just a couple of Idea's
 wants2bwu
Msg: 112
Posted: 2/1/2009 9:35:11 AM
I will go out anywhere there are people....the mall, library....and the line dance hall. There is a singles club that hosts singles dances on Fri nite.....what interests you, Anna?
Do those things and perhaps you will make new friends. Like Cat said, volunteer...good luck!
 catkin2007
Msg: 115
Posted: 2/2/2009 10:45:25 AM
I don't know what your interests are, but a few things I did to meet new people was to find out what my city offered. From there, I joined a book club, took up a new hobby - pottery and attended openings of galleries, and other similar events.

My guess is you just need to put yourself out there. In time you will meet people.
 rearguard*2
Msg: 120
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2009 5:23:41 AM
West Edmonton Mall....
 TheTime4us
Msg: 121
Posted: 2/4/2009 7:13:14 AM
OP... how about taking some courses at a local college... a bit of knowledge and a great way to meet people....

cc..
 Miss W
Msg: 125
Posted: 2/4/2009 4:04:06 PM
I never get lonely as I enjoy my own company and strive for a healthy balance of alone time and getting out. Whoops, never mind, I'm not yet 50, but soon.
 c_deacon
Msg: 126
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2009 4:07:57 PM
To the AARP web site????..............................

OT.......Being lonely is not specific to an age, and no matter that age, there should be some self examination if you are to lonely, to often.....

I am a firm believer that even though I am "alone", that I control, or not, if I am to be "lonely".......

Just my opinion.......
 LoudSilence
Msg: 127
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2009 4:13:45 PM
There is a site that may interest you. It is called meetup.com., there are chapters and groups in most cities. Just do a google search for meetup.com and then check out the groups in your area. It is where to meet like minded individuals.
Peace and Light,LS
 kbodley
Msg: 129
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2009 7:04:18 PM
OP, there is another thread on the Oregon forum about women going places alone.

I will recap a few suggestions:

1. Don't pass up opportunities to go somewhere just because you have no one to accompany you, however don't be dumb! Plan ahead and research safe parking and/or transportation.

2. Make sure that you have sufficient cash on your person to cover emergencies so that you are not in a position to rely on the kindness of strangers.

3. If you go to a local bar or club, you are better off sitting at the bar, rather than in the crowd. Make friends with the bartender and rely on them to be your "safe harbor" if someone won't take no for an answer.

4. Don't be afraid to invite other singles to join you - but be careful when doing so! (I will offer or ask another woman to share my table, but am cautious about making the same offer to a man - only because I don't want to send the wrong signal to a man.)

5. Finally, learn to trust your instincts! If you feel uncomfortable about someone, trust that instinct! You are likely picking up something subtle that you can't put your finger on! Trust that!

But - MOST IMPORTANTLY - you will not make new friends in your new community by staying at home and hoping that someone will knock on your front door!

rustytraveler
Msg: 133
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2009 11:01:57 PM
When I was in Denver last summer I noticed a site called 'Meetup.com', which I thought could be cool if I lived there. It's about groups of people with like interests, whether it's dogs, witches, breast feeding, skiing or cultural connections.... there must have been over a hundred different interest groups in the Denver area alone! Has anyone tried this? Seems like such a good idea.
 c_deacon
Msg: 134
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2009 11:53:42 PM
Things to do in Denver when you are dead.......

I always look for witches wherever I go...... ....or is that breast feeding???.....

OT........For those over 50, may I suggest the warmth and light......no matter where it might be?

I will be quiet now and leave.......

Just my opinion.......
 rustytraveler
Msg: 136
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2009 7:04:29 AM
Hey C Deacon..... you guys in the Denver area supplied the groups ...... I just mentioned some of the myriad possibilities available ... also included was yoga, quilting, free climbing and Akita lovers..... and an Italian group too. Not my fault you have an average population of 36 yr olds with lactating boozooms.

Always seeking the warmth and light.... but maybe others aren't ..... hopefully they're white witches .
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >