Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ahoytheredave
Msg: 10
view profile
History
dipping cookies in milkPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Sombient, you water analysis is fine for surface tension of pure water but the cookie contains soluable materials, particularly sugar. Note that also the OP stated it was very low fat milk. Another effect could also concern the re-hydration of grain products in the cookies causing swelling of these materials on the surface and thus sealing of the porus cookie.

To the poster concering the triangular cookie, I suspect escaping gasses could be detected but the pressure caused by them would probably be too low to be felt by the skin.

Now after all that thankin, I need a cookie. I am prepared for just such a situation. I still have some of my daughter's girl scout cookies.
 Ahoytheredave
Msg: 12
view profile
History
dipping cookies in milk
Posted: 2/23/2007 8:21:06 AM
Sap, one of the biggest problems in American society is the lack of science understanding. I feel a lot of the problem traces to the education of science, physics, engineering etc. Those that have an intrinsic understanding of the way things work are disadvantaged in the educational system. The education system starts its process by teaching the human created etherial language of mathmatics and then uses this system to "explain" how things work in some socratic classroom setting. Einstein could be the poster boy of just how wrong this process is for many people. The educational system tried to reject him many times for his poor grasp of mathmatics in this environment yet his visual undertanding of physics was profound. Today, this disconection to those with similar understanding is still just as pervasive in the educational establishment. It is humanity's loss. Wherever possible, I try to make science fun because it should not be limited to the dull, boring, judgmental, and even agrivating classroom. It is everything physical.

The "n" I was referring to concerned the negative charge doping of the silicon substrate. The metal layer is a positive "p" material simply because it is a metal. Such materials when mobile will attract each other and thus the metal dissolves the "n" doped silicon. Below this "n" doped silicon was a "p" doping that would repel the metal. During processing, the metal would etch into the "n" material just short of the "p" material due to the p-p like charges. This left an extremely thin insulating boundry between the "p" layer and the metal layer. This boundry could be breached easily by enough voltage resulting in a physical hole burned between the layers and a short circuit.
 Ahoytheredave
Msg: 14
view profile
History
dipping cookies in milk
Posted: 2/23/2007 11:20:32 AM
I really don't figure thrust, aerodynamics, and orbital geometries have much to do with it. I do figure its has more complexity than simple surface tension and detergent interaction with surfaces that do not change characteristics such as geometries with moisture absorbtion. The fats in the cookie along with the soluable sugars will modify water yet probably modify milk less and the effect of expansive grain products give the system quite a number of variables. Perfect study material for a science fair and endless debate. This is as as much fun as the cookies! Combining this with variable gravitational forces and atmospheric pressures, we can get into rocket science.
 windowshopping04
Msg: 16
dipping cookies in milk
Posted: 2/23/2007 5:08:04 PM
Seems to me that pore size and density of the cookie (or baked item) should also come into play. The larger the pores and the more of them, the more easily gas is released (into a liquid or gas substrate - but gas will always flow more easily into another gas than into a liquid because of surface tension of the liquid). That's why, say, banana bread will soak up liquid more quickly than, say, a dense shortbread cookie. The greater amount of leavening and the initial moisture content of the batter in the banana bread causes greater porosity and larger size pores. The dense, dry, relatively unleavened shortbread batter does not allow for as many or as large of pores to be formed, thereby reducing the number of capillary paths which the liquid can be drawn through.

As for testing surface tension and other chemistry questions...

1) testing surface tension issues: compare dunking the same type cookie into milk, buttermilk, and pure cream (the chemistry will be slightly different for each matrix, but density will definately change between them).

2) testing polar versus non-polar solvent issues: milk and water tend to be somewhat polar solvents. Try dipping your cookie into a non-polar solvent like light vegetable oil to test the wicking action. While there might be some surface tension issues between matrices, there will definately be differences in chemistry.

3) testing cookies of different porosity in the same matrix (milk): 'nilla wafers, brownies, and scottish-style shortbread (hard almost biscuit-like cookies which have very little leavening) - compare adsorption rates based on porosity.

So many experiments, so little time.... (so many calories!!)
 HeavyThumb
Msg: 24
dipping cookies in milk
Posted: 3/5/2007 8:36:21 PM
This topic is too deep for me........I think I'm getting soggy
 NapJoe
Msg: 27
dipping cookies in milk
Posted: 5/1/2007 8:37:05 AM
Great theory. And most agreeable. The evidence is in.

"I would guess that when completely submerged, the wicking effect on the entire surface of the cookies sealed the gasses in the cookie. This both prevents their escape as well as making for a relatively stagnet layer of milk preventing the trapped gasses from dissolving quickly in the milk.

I used a similar effect
 nipoleon
Msg: 31
view profile
History
dipping cookies in milk
Posted: 6/4/2007 1:30:23 AM
I you could submerge the cookie down a few thousand feet of milk, the pressure of the milk would cause it to collapse and you would have a very small, hard, dry, cookie.
Not unlike a girl I knew in college once.
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 32
Brilliant thread!
Posted: 12/24/2014 11:22:42 PM
That's the way the cookie crumbles!

Brilliant thread!
dipping cookies in milk
Posted: 12/29/2014 8:44:35 AM
I always hated cookies and milk. It's gross to me, and seems pointless to have a cookie then make it soggy in milk.
 AlienHumanHybrid
Msg: 34
dipping cookies in milk
Posted: 12/30/2014 9:10:15 AM
it is easier for air to escape into air than through water

I used to do that with graham crackers -I was often disappointed when they got too soggy and parts fell to the bottom of the glass of milk
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >