Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 McRobbin
Msg: 239
Which sport is tougher on the body: hockey or soccer?Page 15 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
Not that I enjoy it, but I'd have to say that UFC is the toughest sport on the body. That kind of make sense since the objective, essentially, is to knock out your opponent or make them give up. The only way to do that is by injuring them or rendering them unconscious.

That aside, I'd have to say that hockey is way tougher on the body than soccer.
Most of the contact in soccer is light nudging and jostling for position. Sure, you have the odd hard tackle, which will cause many an Italian soccer player to writhe around in pseudo-agony until the next play, when they're somehow all better. Yes I'm North American but I still watch the game on a regular basis and this is what I see. I am not stereotyping anything.

Hockey: More physical contact, harder surface to fall on, sticks to be whacked with, slapshots to block (which hurt like a **** and can easily break ankles or feet), fistfights, shoving matches after just about every flurry around the crease. Also, hockey is played on skates, which means it's played at a faster pace than soccer. This means that collisions occur at a higher level of energy between players.
At any one time in a soccer game, there are as many as 22 players on the field. At any one time in a hockey game, there are are as many as 12 players on the ice. The area of soccer field is WAY more than the area of a hockey rink, which means that collisions in hockey, in addition to being more forceful, are also more frequent.

There's that...and there's... you know, the fact that contact in soccer is such a tightly officiated aspect of the game.
 ticatsleafsjaysfan
Msg: 241
view profile
History
Which sport is tougher on the body: hockey or soccer?
Posted: 6/2/2008 7:00:56 AM
Pedro I don't know how many times this has been explained to you, but you still can't seem to grasp it. You continue to say that the only reason NFL is higher scoring than soccer is because in soccer 1 goal counts for 1 point or 2 goals count for 2 points. Please listen to this with unbiased opinions. In the NFL when the score is 35 - 28 (which is a typical NFL final score), in your terms that would be 5-4. A touchdown is worth 7 points, 35 divided by 7 = 5 and 28 divided by 7 = 4 , so the score is 5-4. SIMPLE! So we'll use your point system and the score is 5-4. How many soccer games have a final of 5-4? The games I see are usually 1-0 and 1-1, a high scoring game is 2-1, crazy. So the NFL has higher scoring NOT because they count a touchdown worth more points, but because there is actually MORE SCORING. Do you get it now. I'm not trying to be mean, but it can be annoying that you continue to say that there is as much scoring in soccer, but that the point system is the only difference. I hope that this has finally convinced you.

Mark
 ticatsleafsjaysfan
Msg: 242
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2008 8:18:52 AM
hi halasteve, I can't say that I've watched alot of international games, but have watched every Toronto FC game. game1 they lost 2-0 to Columbus, game2 they lost 4-1 to DC United, game 3 they won 3-2 to LA, game 4 they lost1-0 t0 Salt Lake, game 5 won 2-0 to Kansas City, game 6 tied 1-1 to New York, game7 tied 0-0, game 8 tied 0-0 to Columbus, game 9 won 1-0 to DC United, game10 won 3-2 to DC United, and game10 won2-0 to LA. Most of these games are low scoring. The winning team scored 18 goals in 10 games avg 1.8 the losing team scored 7 goals avg 0.7. The avg after 10 games was 1.8 to 0.7, I'll round it up to 2-1. My point is that soccer is too low scoring. Many of the goals are after 90min and the teams are awarded penalty kicks, which isn't really scoring. It's kicking and hoping for the best. The Toronto FC are 5-3-2 I will continue to watch and support them. I still have a problem with people telling me that soccer isn't low scoring.

Mark
 Optimistic for 2008
Msg: 243
Posted: 7/23/2008 2:54:33 PM
HOCKEY.....at least I don't think soccer has unmoveable boards that 220 lb men moving at 25+ hours an hour are ramming other men into! Of course, soccer players slip on the grass....
 heyhd
Msg: 244
Posted: 7/27/2008 3:17:05 AM

Have you ever played hockey before?? From the sounds of it you haven't. Sure the ice skating part isnt as high impact as running, but how much of the game is a soccer player running. Hockey players have to wear padding because the level of impact of a hit is soo much more intense than a soccer impact. Finally, whats the concussion rate in soccer??

In most football matches you have players who run upto 10-12 kms over the course of 90 minutes. Actually you're wrong about the level of impact for the same reason that in football there's virtually no protection for the player's body than for the essentials. Concussion rates are not the most accurate indicator of how physical a game can be. For instance if you actually follow football you will get to know that you have players dropping down like flies with minor/major injuries over the course of the regular season. In fact it is so demanding of the human body that the early 30s of a football player is seen as the twilight era of his career.

Sure there might be more 'contact' in the sport of hockey but that still does not make it even come anywhere close to football in terms of it taking a toll on ones body

If you were to take more interest in soccer you will see that I'm not kidding .
 Kaos86
Msg: 245
Posted: 7/27/2008 7:02:00 AM
As I was walking down a busy street the other day I tripped over the foot of the person walking just beside me. As I fell to the ground in slight discomfort from the pain of falling down I noticed 6 others also on the ground rolling in seemingly obvious pain from also tripping in a similar fashion. Just then a whamo ball came rolling out from the local playground and a soccer game(not sport) broke out. Then a traffic cop came over and handed a player a ticket for headbutting another player for calling his mother "a cheap piece of Euro trash".(apparantly she was from Great Britain)
Well they played and frolicked for several hours but no one could put that damn whamo ball through the makeshift goals that were as wide as city streets so, growing tired of this the whole neighborhood pitched in and in a riotous fun filled afternoon the tore the city apart.

What A Sporting Fun Time It Was!
 wizardofossington
Msg: 246
Posted: 7/27/2008 8:25:37 AM
Okay, that was funny..... But still not right....
 Kaos86
Msg: 247
Posted: 7/27/2008 9:15:31 AM
I had fun writing it.
Soccer players are obviously highly skilled athletes in great shape but in no way do they go through the punishment that a hockey player experiences most nights.
 Optimistic for 2008
Msg: 248
Posted: 7/27/2008 2:35:48 PM
Most athletes don't go through the punishment of a 82 game + pre season+ post seaon NHL games.....

And no athlete gets hurt as bad in a game and yet insists on and Does Return to continue the game....NO Athlete, Period!
 heyhd
Msg: 249
Posted: 7/28/2008 1:04:46 PM

And no athlete gets hurt as bad in a game and yet insists on and Does Return to continue the game....NO Athlete, Period!

Yep...you havent watched soccer. You have soccer players getting busted up, throwing up, bleeding all over the face and such. All they do is just rush out of the field for 5 mins or so while they're patched up in a haphazard way only to return. Please refrain from using declarative statements like those when the whole spectrum of knowledge of an issue is clearly not at your disposal

Thanks.
 goaliebns
Msg: 250
Posted: 8/12/2008 6:53:54 PM
Hockey you are playing on an unstable surface (ice). Trying to control an object (puck) with a stick and at the same time avoiding 200 pound guys trying to pound you into the boards surrounding this surface

Soccer you are running around on ground and if you go out of the playing surface no problem just keep running.. Although you might get a twisted ankle... Oh ow or maybe a broken finger nail.. horrors
 Kaos86
Msg: 251
Posted: 8/13/2008 9:53:19 AM

Just have an all in brawl on ice.
If thats all you ice heads want and are proud about.

Fights on the ice certainly beats riots in the stands and surrounding area during and after a soccer match. But thats all you Hooligans are interested in.

It flys both ways.
Think McFly Think!
 Kaos86
Msg: 252
Posted: 8/13/2008 1:45:59 PM
So fighting in a hockey game is culture also so why raise it.
Makes no sense.
 Kaos86
Msg: 253
Posted: 8/14/2008 6:12:18 AM
Actually Kirk I loved playing soccer as a kid and I coached it for three years.
It is a pure sport that has been weakend by the flopping of todays players.

Basically it's popularity is connected to the ability for everyone to play it. Anyone can afford it and anyone can run and kick a ball.
Thats it's secret ...it's readily accessable and affordable to the masses.
 sum1reel
Msg: 254
Posted: 8/14/2008 7:50:39 PM
^
all Kaos means to say (in message 458) is that it is much easier for somebody to take up playing soccer than for somebody to take up playing ice hockey.......he is right, all you have to do is get a ball, find a suitable field and kick it around....it is that easy!

it is another thing to develop the skills necessary to be a good player....that takes time, practice and talent, no matter how easy it is to find a ball......if you do not have the necessary ability to play a certain position then you will not be effective.

it is the same way with ice hockey.....but the game requires much more equipment and ideal playing conditions.........the kind that you can find mainly in cold countries such as canada, russia, finland..................it would make a bit more sense for kids to play ice hockey in these countries because the warm season is very short........and when it gets cold, ice is easy to form almost anywhere!
 Optimistic for 2008
Msg: 256
Posted: 8/15/2008 5:25:47 AM
Have to agree with Louiscfer2's first 5 words....

"This is a ridiculous question"

HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY
 Kaos86
Msg: 257
Posted: 8/15/2008 7:04:25 AM
It's hard to agree with anyone named Lucifer and isn't
Hockey Hockey Hockey
only 3 words?

Who says hockey players are not as fit as soccer players?
 Optimistic for 2008
Msg: 258
Posted: 8/16/2008 2:47:37 PM
Lucifers 5 words..

Hockey Hockey Hockey was my words...
 Mr. Raitano
Msg: 259
Posted: 8/17/2008 10:04:56 AM
Also depends what position you play. While soccer is not a contact sport like hockey is. You need to be in tip top shape to play a position like mid field, running up and down the field...people think it's easy till they get into a game and have to run around. There are no line shifts at all and only 3 sub allowed.

And also depending what leagues you play in. Soccer players play in more games. Just look at the WC, that's 4 years of playing right there trying to get a spot, it's non stop.

Both are hard, hockey is hard on the body from taking hits, guys going out with concussions while the constant running in soccer puts pressure on your legs and injuries can be bad in it also.
 Kaos86
Msg: 260
Posted: 8/17/2008 10:32:53 AM
There is a lot of standing around and walking or jogging in soccer.
Only 2 or 3 are running hard at any onetime.
Both sports require a high level of fitness.
Msg: 261
Posted: 8/21/2008 12:28:01 PM
I have played only soccer, so no idea which is tougher on the body, but can tell you if you get a kick on your knees which happens almost all the time that' s not fun. I used to have more injuries while playing soccer than when I switched into restling, actually I don't even remember having any injury in durin wrestling and do remember up to this point the constant aching on the knees from soccer.

DOES ANYONE KNOW A PLACE IN LOS ANGELES, ORANGE COUNTY AREA WHEN YOU CAN GO PLAY SOCCER WITH ADULTS? NOT WITH THE KIDS I MEAN OR TEENAGERS OR YOUNGSTERS, THEY PLAY EVERYWHERE I NOTICED IN THE PARKS ETC, I WANT TO FIND A PLACE YOU KNOW TO GET THERE AND PLAY.
 heyhd
Msg: 262
Posted: 8/21/2008 4:24:41 PM
Boss you're not being totally American in your arguments with regards to soccer so I will pose this question directly to you. In which of those two sports do you see players lasting longer? In which of these two sports do you see players retiring at a much faster rate thanks to the injuries catching upto them? Which of these two sports has longer pre season training to get them the players into top shape before the regular season begins? I think we both can agree on the answer to those questions being Soccer or as the rest of the world knows it - 'Football'. Make no mistake about it, I have tremendous respect for hockey players but lets admit it the kind of physical conditioning you need to be a professional in Soccer is unmatchable.
Msg: 264
Posted: 8/22/2008 1:00:54 PM

Soccer is not a sport. Because:

1) You can't use your arms.

2) There are DOTS on the BALL. Anything with DOTS on the BALL can't be a sport.

~George Carlin

Hey George, how many cups of bears you had while writing this nonsense. Some people have sex without using their arms, according to your logic one can't have sex unless he/she masturbates at the same time too.

]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
I NEEDED A GOOD LAUGH ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]] No more need to watch funny DVDs, just need to read some posts here .]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
 Kaos86
Msg: 265
Posted: 8/22/2008 4:10:24 PM

and the Oscar goes to George Carlin, for having posted the most ridiculous thing upon the beautiful game.

Hey George, how many cups of bears you had while writing this nonsense. Some people have sex without using their arms, according to your logic one can't have sex unless he/she masturbates at the same time too

Hey George...Uhm George....George
Wake up George.... What are you dead or something....

I think someone missed the joke!
Msg: 266
Posted: 8/22/2008 5:35:46 PM
I am trying to have a "picking on exchange" here to entertain the public but not successful yet. The other dude - Scott from Atlanta didn't respond neither. It's just a matter of time until I will find a dude to have some "spectacle" here . However, George is not out of the game at all, may be he doesnt do online breaks at his work. ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

Ok, George, are you gonna defend your theory? May be there was something else there public didn't perceive the way you meant to outline..................
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  >