Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Bilford
Msg: 64
Which sport is tougher on the body: hockey Page 2 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
ok first of all read my last post I played both sports at just as high a calibur and i'll tell you i've taken a puck to the face just above my eye and bleed something feerce, but i've also been kicked in the knee playing soccer and broke my leg, went through 6 months phsio, had the knee surgery, back to physio, learned to walk, then started playing again. Both sports have their moment but hockey is consistent with injuries. blocking shots DOES hurt and hurt alot.

About your stubbourne or stupidness comment of CANADIAN players. it's simply we play the game fro mthe heart we play to win not to lose and we dont' leave our teammates to fend for themselves, we get our ass off the bench and dig deep into the corners and score that goal, Top three goal scorers, St Louis, Lacavalier, and Crosby. THey all happen to be canadian. best goaltender MArtain broduer, also canadian. playing from the heart puts fans in the stands and goals on the board. all teams should try it sometime.
 Kaos86
Msg: 66
Which sport is tougher on the body: hockey or soccer?
Posted: 5/10/2007 1:19:04 PM
Ok can we all agree Soccer is not a sport!
 soccermom22
Msg: 69
Posted: 5/15/2007 10:27:49 PM
The average soccer player runs approx. 6 miles a game. Oh and about the concussion rate, why don't u look up the name of Brian McBride and see how many concussions he has had in his career. Oh don't forget to read about the metal plates in his face that sets off the metal detectors when he travels by plane!
 soccermom22
Msg: 70
Posted: 5/15/2007 10:31:01 PM
My response about the more hits in a hockey game than in a soccer game, Is because BODY CHECKS is not legal in soccer. If you take a player down hard u can get a yellow card caution/foul or a ejection.
 AnAdotSoul
Msg: 71
Posted: 5/15/2007 11:52:36 PM
well i don't know which is tougher on the body during play, but i do know for a fact that professional soccer players are some of the healthiest people in the world... They probably have tougher trainer, but hockey is tougher during the games. That's my guess
 goaliebns
Msg: 75
Posted: 8/12/2007 6:50:05 AM
Ahh Pedro .. spreading your anti-hockey message again

Hockey is a full body workout, skating, shooting the puck, checking into the boards. Upper and lower.. Soccer just lower no touchy the ball with your hands..( and no standing under a ball so it can hit you in the head doesn't count as a workout)

As to time on the ice/field.. Hockey Goalies are on the full game with no break.. Wearing up to 40 pounds of equipment, doing splits and back up again, ( goalie magazines have timed NHL goalies into how many tenths of a second it takes for them to react and then complete the save) all while stopping 90+ mph pucks. As stated in previous posts, playing every or every second night.

Average Hockey goalie can get up to 40 shots per game.. Soccer.. what maybe 5 real shots a goalie has to stop and those rare shots are the highlights of the boring game..
 sprawl2
Msg: 76
Posted: 8/14/2007 7:42:40 PM

Hockey Goalies are on the full game with no break

I wouldn't say that. Every time the puck is in the other end it's a break.
 goaliebns
Msg: 79
this just in. HOCKEY IS TOUGHER ON THE BODY!!
Posted: 8/18/2007 9:18:13 AM
Hockey used to be played with no helmets and no padding.. Also no slaphots and no curve in the stick.. So the puck travelled about as fast as a Soccer Ball.. Once they allowed players to shoot with a slapshot and curving the stick the puck started to travel up around 100 mph..

Goalies were not allowed to wear masks. Do a search on Gerry Cheevers. a famous goalie from the 1970's.. Cheevers always started with fresh unpainted mask which was covered in scars by seasons end. Cheevers' trainer (John Forristall) started the stitches trend by putting them on his mask wherever he was struck by a puck or stick.

Or do a search on Terry Sawchuck another goalie in the 1950's (he still has the record for the most shutouts) who ended up with 600 stitches in his first 12 years as a goalie that he didn't wear a mask.. Back then they would stitch you up with no freezing, between periods so you could get right back in the game.. A soccer player gets a stubbed toe and rolls around on the ground like he is dead..
 goaliebns
Msg: 89
Posted: 2/13/2008 3:00:49 PM
Florida Panthers forward Richard Zednik underwent surgery to close a deep gash on the right side of his neck and was in stable condition Sunday night after he was cut by a teammate's skate during a game.

Blood gushed from Zednik's neck after he was hurt midway through the third period of Buffalo's 5-3 win.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_8228244

When is the last time that happened in Football/Soccer ??
 fishernick
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2008 12:14:16 PM
its ridiculous to attempt to have a discussion with pedro unless you are supporting everything he says. he is always right so why oppose him. dont you know by now that everything across the pond is harder to do, better to play , and more interesting to watch and support. all sports we poorly attempt to do here are just derived from the great history of european sports. every north american sport is highly inferior and we are all second class compared to europeans. when are we going to wake up and start worshiping the monarchy again. we need a forum about second rate sports so we no longer offend the grand wisdom of pedro. soccer has to be tougher on the body because he says so, i will accept his unfailable knowledge.
 Beefcakedaddio
Msg: 93
Posted: 2/14/2008 11:23:48 PM
Hockey is tougher and Hockey players are tougher
"For one thing, the act of skating is low impact, while running is high impact"
Hockey has way more impact on the body overall, checking is legal there are boards a hard ice suface and goal posts to collide with. Hockey players might wear pads but the collisions happen at much higher speeds and you get thrown into harder surfaces than grass.
"Even the best hockey players rarely are on the ice for more than thirty minutes, with most playing under twenty minutes, while each soccer player, except for players injured or subsititued, play the entire ninety minutes."
Hockey and soccer have different conditioning aspects due to the different styles of the game. The soccer player on the big wide pitch that isn't directly involved with the play sort of trots around not at maximum capacity, on a smaller playing surface the hockey rink a player is never far from the play and is playing a short shifts to maximum capacity.Hockey players excell at delivering power and strength in short bursts and also develop excellent overall cardiovascular endurance that soccer players have becuase they play more games.Soccer players are conditioned for endurance required to play 90 mins but do not have the ability hockey players have for bursts of strength and power.Hockey has best of both types of conditioning.
Hockey players and North American athletes who play contact sports are conditioned to have a higher pain threshold than Soccer participants-Everyone has seen the drama of an injured soccer player compared to hockey players who spit out broken teeth play with broken limbs, get stitched up and back in the game without drama or complaint.If there are more older hockey players than older soccer players it's not becuase they have less aches and pains they are tougher.
 goaliebns
Msg: 95
Posted: 2/16/2008 3:52:02 AM
From the Canadian Journal of Emergency Medicine:

Ice hockey is considered one of the fastest and most aggressive team sports. Defined as a game played with clubs (hockey sticks), knives (skates) and bullets (pucks), its violence parallels that seen daily within emergency medicine.

Hockey-related injuries are common, with one report of more than 30 000 presentations to US emergency departments (EDs) in 2001.3 The annual incidence of spinal cord injury with paralysis as a result of an injury acquired while playing hockey in Canada is 3 times greater than that reported for American football.5 The majority of injuries are secondary to blunt trauma and are minor in nature; however, accounts of significant morbidity and mortality have been published.5,6 Although not commonly reported, hockey sticks can cause significant harm and may account for up to 14% of hockey-related injuries.1,7,8

We report a case of penetrating chest trauma requiring surgical intervention after a player's broken composite hockey stick impaled a teammate's thoracic cavity.

http://www.caep.ca/template.asp?id=586C3BF5EEFD48C399F4A2AC145BC935

Yes being kicked in the knee how terrible... I can see why they roll around on the ground like they were shot..
 blueeyedgirl42
Msg: 98
Posted: 2/16/2008 7:27:41 AM

With soccer, it's all about stamina.

Of course, some nights with MY hockey team....it's stamina, too.....when you only have 2 subs on the bench.

With hockey, with every shift - you'll get nailed or checked. Dodge a puck or even block one. The speed of a 220 lb man flying at you at about 20 mph hurts - no matter how much you are prepared for it.

I've gone home with concussions and huge bruises. I've been slammed into the boards more times than I care to think about, including a freak hit that bent my knee backward and sideways, and made walking nearly impossible for months. I haven't played soccer since Jr. high school, but I work with a girl who plays...and just exchanging games stories....I'd say hockey is a MUCH tougher sport!

AND...YAY!!! I have TWO games this weekend!!

Jill :)
 Kaos86
Msg: 100
Posted: 2/19/2008 6:01:46 PM
chriseh
You must be a bad hockey player.

Is soccer a sport?
 goaliebns
Msg: 102
Posted: 2/19/2008 8:46:02 PM
Soccer: jogging around a field for a while. Then when you are tired roll around on the field like somone shot you.. When all they did was bump you.. Please in Hockey you are bumped and knocked down all the time and get right back up
 feeltobefree
Msg: 107
Posted: 2/22/2008 9:27:48 AM
Playing soccer for most of my life I have to agree that Hockey is the tougher sport physically. However, soccer over a long career.. causes more havoc on the knees than hockey because of the constant motion, the sprints, the cutting and the jumping on sometimes surfaces that are terrible. Even on great surfaces, some soccer players play all year round and that constant grinding on the knees takes a toll.

So other than the the effect that soccer has on the knees over a career, hockey players take a greater pounding because of the physicality and contact as well as the size of some of these players who can really throw their weight.
 ticatsleafsjaysfan
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2008 7:33:17 AM
I would have to disagree that American sports are more boring than soccer, but I agree that comparing hockey to soccer is a poor comparison. Soccer is a sport that requires top shape, but isn't a contact sport like hockey. Of course hockey is tougher on the body. A better example would be comparing hockey to football(NFL), which I would say football is tougher. Soccer's toughness on the body should be compared with another non contact sport like basketball or baseball.
 Kaos86
Msg: 112
Posted: 2/27/2008 2:35:06 PM
If they cut a soccer game down to 60 minutes like hockey, maybe the players would jog less, run around a little harder and spend less time rolling around on the "pitch" faking injuries.
 goaliebns
Msg: 114
Posted: 2/27/2008 6:41:26 PM
Or make the Soccer Goalies gloves smaller.. ..

They are right though about North american sports being boring.. For pure adrenaline excitement nothing like watching a 5 day cricket match
 ticatsleafsjaysfan
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2008 12:11:21 PM
Hey Smackemhard you need take your own advice on typing slowly. Your spelling is terrible. It's soccer NOT soccor. I do agree with your analysis of the differences between soccer and hockey. Unless you've played both games you cannot comment intelligently. Clearly Pedro hasn't played both. Soccer is a tough game, you need to be in shape, but hockey is by far more physically demanding. I can't play hockey anymore because I'm too small, but I can still play soccer because size isn't as important in soccer
 WeekendAdventure
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2008 8:06:17 PM
As much as I like hockey I think football....NFL that is...lol. is harder on the body. But the sport I think could be be toughest on the body has to be Rugby.
 letsgopens
Msg: 126
Posted: 3/12/2008 8:49:02 PM
Hockey is much rougher than soccer or football. Soccer is worse for the knees and ankles maybe though. But I'd rather compare it to the "toughest sport in the US". Lets see an NFL team play 82 games in 6.5 months. Gary Roberts walks off of the ice with a broken leg on his own power. Players lose a teeth or get a bad cut, they're back in the game in minutes. If a lineman in the NFL stubs a pinky, he gets the ambulance (exaggerating ..slightly). Now if football players played offense and defense without subs like in the olden' days, it might be different. Australian rules football is pretty sick though. I wish it was still on ESPN.
 Pickme83
Msg: 127
Posted: 3/13/2008 7:15:53 PM
I didn't know they were sports. Hockey even still exist?
 jumby181
Msg: 129
Posted: 5/8/2008 8:40:04 AM
I'm a footballer through and through, my only hockey experience being street hockey as a kid. My gut reaction is hockey is tougher on the body, you can get going pretty quick on skates and then just nail someone. Football is far from non contact though, I've had broken fingers, ankles, two knee surgeries, broken nose, and lots of strains and pulls.
I'm not buying the fitness arguements I've seen on here either. The exertion is differnet, so they train differently. Its like saying an olympic wrestler only has to last 3 2 minute periods, what could be easier than that? Ever wrestle? Most people would puke after the first minute.
My last comment is have any of you seen the stats they show in the Champions League matches when they sub someone? They post how far they have been during the match. Soem of them are between 10,000 - 15,000 metres. sure it isn't all running, but that is a LOT of ground to cover, much of it running.... and for all you americans too stupid to learn metric, that is almost 10 miles.
 jumby181
Msg: 130
Posted: 5/8/2008 9:23:09 AM
I am an american, I figured it out, poor excuse
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  >