Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ticatsleafsjaysfan
Msg: 219
view profile
History
Which sport is tougher on the body: hockey or soccer?Page 5 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
Sorry Kirk I made a mistake when I was posting. I meant to say that my knowledge of soccer was more than your knowledge of North American sports. I admit that my knowledge of soccer is limited, but not as limited to your knowledge of North American sports. That's what I meant to say, again I'm sorry I realize that your knowledge of soccer is way more than mine.

Mark
 ticatsleafsjaysfan
Msg: 220
view profile
History
Which sport is tougher on the body: hockey or soccer?
Posted: 5/27/2008 12:55:13 PM
Kirk, I can appreciate low scoring games when both teams play well. A no-hitter in baseball is much more exciting than a 1-0 soccer game because a no-hitter is something that only happens very occasionally ( the Toronto Blue Jays have only had 1 in fanchise history 31 years). A 1-0 soccer game is the norm and because of that it's not appreciated. An analogy would be the summer season would not be appreciated if it was hot all year round, you need the cold winter to appreciate it.. I agree that usually a 1-0 game is because of good defense, but many of those games also have few chances or shots on net which can become frustrating to watch.

Mark
 shammgod
Msg: 221
Posted: 5/27/2008 3:59:16 PM
I see two problems with the high level of difficulty of scoring in soccer.

1) Because there is no real mechanism forcing one team to eventually give up the ball like basketball's shot clock or baseball's 3 outs to a side, teams that are ahead often slow down the game even further or turtle. It seems like the team that scores first nearly always wins (admittedly, the amount of soccer I have watched is very limited).

2) Because scoring is so difficult, every goal means a lot. This in itself is not a bad thing (some would argue it's great). However, because penalty shots are such high probability shots (2/3+) and the officiating of fouls seems, mmmmm, imperfect, there is a fair chance a game can be changed by a questionable call or questionable tactics (flops).
 wizardofossington
Msg: 222
Posted: 5/28/2008 6:49:53 AM

To be fair...how can you possibly "know" what my knowledge of US sports is?

Because you say it....

Unlike others, just because I've thrown an American football around, or played a bit of baseball or played on a basketball team, I don't think that makes me very knowledgeable about any of those games.

1) Because there is no real mechanism forcing one team to eventually give up the ball like basketball's shot clock or baseball's 3 outs to a side, teams that are ahead often slow down the game even further or turtle. It seems like the team that scores first nearly always wins

I can somewhat agree to that....
 wizardofossington
Msg: 224
Posted: 5/28/2008 8:37:02 AM

When I lived in Boston I was a season ticket holder at Fenway and watched ALL regular season red-sox games on tv. How many Portugese top flight matches have you been to, how many times have you been a regular season ticket holder for any of the top European leagues????

Now you are a season ticket holder....Are lying again? So people believe your comments are justified.

The only Portuguese match I've seen live was the friendly game Toronto FC v. Benfica in Toronto. Good times....

Never seen a match in Portugal or Europe before (because I tell the truth), but I got a satellite that provides RTP. I don't see all the games, but I watch when I get a chance and keep myself informed.

I OBVIOUSLY know more about say baseball than you'll ever know about soccer and yet I don't go running my mouth about it because I haven't had a chance to watch this season.
I doubt that very much.

Your last posted sounds quite childish....
 wizardofossington
Msg: 225
Posted: 5/28/2008 8:51:18 PM

so you can't stand the EPL? why? it is a great league with great supporters and fantastic atmosphere at stadiums.

I don't disagree with the supporters and its atmosphere, but I never could really enjoy it. I look at the standings to keep me informed, I watch a game here and there, but never really was fan.

maybe you meant England National Team, a team that right now is shite anyway

This could be the reason ....I still laugh how Portugal managed to boot them out back in Euro 2004 and at the World Cup. That was a great year....So close....

Portuguese is a good league so enjoy it.

Thank you.

There was a few of us in for them so you didn't get all the games you'd want on draft day but still wacthed a lot of great games. And, I watched the Sox on tv every night they played pretty much...so I'm guessing I knew a hell of a lot more than you wandy...enough to know that if you're not wathcing the big leagues, you might as well not comment.

Wow....So you spent one whole year watching the Red Sox play. A whole 162 drinking games? News flash pal, I live in Massachusetts. I live and breath the Red Sox everyday....During the season and off season.

you don't know anything about soccer and watch the odd game from one of the weakest leagues in Europe (I'm guessing cos theres some Portugese heritage there - so it's actually not about soccer at all)...

Here's a "guy" who has claimed that US sports (then claimed people like me) are arrogant, provincial, bigoted and ignorant. Whatever pal....

I have a new name for you, "The one up guy". Every argument you have made, and not just with me but with others, you always have to be better guy.

Example:
I would say I ran 2 miles today. You would reply that you ran 4 miles. Mr. "One Up Guy".

wizardofossington
Msg: 226
Posted: 5/29/2008 4:28:57 AM
Here we go again.... Mr. One up guy just tell the truth....

I never pretended to be an expert about US sports but said I had enjoyed all of them while I was there and followed a LOT of baseball while I was there. Again and again you try and accuse me of bashing US sports and then you still try to maintain it when you hear I was a season ticket holder at Fenway...

You went from stating that you went to a lot of games to becoming a season ticket holder. This should have been said A LONG time ago to prove me wrong, but you didn't. Now all of a sudden you have become a season holder. And for the "bashing", let me rephrase it, you insulted US sports. Tell the truth....

You say you know more about soccer than I do about US sports from living in the US watching a couple of Portugese leagues: "YOU'RE LYING" "THAT"S A LIE

I compared my soccer to be more advanced than your US sports....This is how I said it,

My knowledge of soccer is quite more advanced than your US sports....

I don't doubt your knowledge of soccer to be more than me, but I'm telling you the truth. You need to tell the truth....

You said that I basehed US sports..."lying, you're lying"....(funny again, it's actually true that I never bashed US sports...I did however prove(they're copied and posted earlier remember) that certain American's posted comments about soccer on here that were bigoted and provincial)

Thats not how you said it, so once again I will prove the world,

IT DOESN"T MAKE SENSE...it's RIDICULOUS...most Americans actually acknowledge that IT'S RIDICULOUS. The three major US sports are the only sports that do it and it's arrogant, provincial, bigoted and ignorant...there is no good argument for it

You said it black and white, tell the truth....

You said that I had said that I knew nothing about US sports and that I wasn't a fan...LYING, YOU'RE LYING AGAIN...I said that unlike muppets like you who comment away and bs about things they haven't been following (i.e. you about soccer), that I wasn't going to start offering opinions on the current season in baseball, for example, when I haven't been able to watch it this year.

A true Red Sox fan would go great lengths to watch the game....For me I went to great lengths to get soccer. Tell the truth.

And I notice you come after me for the bashing thing again, look at the posts again from Pedro, he's the one that slated the NFL a few posts back, NOT me.

I have already forgiven Pedro not you (until the next time Pedro), because your a drunka$$ Mr. One up guy.

I have always answered most of your posts, but you always tend to neglect mine or rephrase things that you say or I say....Tell the truth.

Moreover, I get on fine with people on other threads, but why make a comment like that...oh dear...you're stalking again...don't you have little wizard friends to play with or something...you actually waste your time trawling around trying to see where else I'm posting.

I was referring to this thread. Again trying to turn things around that are untrue to make you sound better. This is why I refer you as the "One Up Guy". Tell the truth.

I'm still waiting for that apology.
 wizardofossington
Msg: 227
Posted: 5/29/2008 9:49:10 PM
Disputing with you is like arguing with a girl....

Not sure why you keep calling me a drunk. That's a "Lie".

Denial is the first sign of alcoholism....

I'm guessing that you know a lot of drunk liars

So far you're my first....

You said I bashed US sports...that's a lie. I said calling a domestic champion a world champion was ridiculous and provincial. every time you quote me you quote me saying that.

I already told you, instead of you "bashing" US sports, I rephrased it and stated you "insulted" it. And I told you better ways to say it instead of the way you claimed it to be. I also tried to explain to you that you should take things with stride, but you don't take constructive criticism very well.

I obviously know a hell of a lot more about baseball than you do about soccer since you know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about soccer.

Tell the truth....

I have already proved to you, because you have already admitted that your knowledge US sports is weak like a girl. Check out msg 397....

Your knowledge of soccer is certainly up there compared to me, which I have already admitted. However to try and compare my baseball/soccer to your baseball/soccer.... I'm way too advanced.

YOU DID say that I've been acting like that on other threads as well.

Quote me, so you can sound like a nincompoop.

You once said you were,

you're again arguing against a straw man...

And wise man once said,

And yeah, it's clear that I am arguing with a straw man. What was it that the straw man was missing in Oz?

Just follow the yellow brick road....The WizardofOssington has a brain for you.
 wizardofossington
Msg: 228
Posted: 5/30/2008 9:02:30 AM

When I said that the only sports that do it were US sports, I was stating a fact, not about whether the sports were in and of themselves, good or bad, but a fact about how the domestic league winners within those sports were DESCRIBED.

You were not stating a fact, you were stating an opinion....BIG difference. Don't try to pretend that every comment you made HERE ON THIS THREAD has justification. Who made you God?

Why, that being so, are you so determined to want to believe that I cannot be anything other than a US basher?

You said I ridiculed soccer....How did I do that? You tried to weigh out the "pros and cons" claiming you were a US sports fan because you lived here in the US, but technically you vouched more towards soccer. You really don't like US sports, just say it so we can end this. Thats all I want you to do....Admit to it.

Seems like you have something of a persecution complex to me.

Don't flatter yourself....

If you want to continue to call domestic champions "world champions", please, feel free, by all means.

You're learning.... You are beginning to take things in stride. I'll take that as an apology and I will forgive you.
 Kaos86
Msg: 229
Posted: 5/30/2008 9:44:51 AM
Is soccer really a sport?
 Kaos86
Msg: 231
Posted: 5/30/2008 10:15:49 AM
What snow it's a beautiful sunny spring day.
Perhapse your rolling on the ground faking injury has affected your ability to judge the weather?
 wizardofossington
Msg: 233
Posted: 5/31/2008 7:54:42 AM
You don't have to yell....

I DIDN"T SAY YOU RIDICULED SOCCER...CAN YOU READ...

Yes you did, don't you remember?

I'm not the only person who thinks that's silly or foolish. You've already conceded that it's arbitrary, silly and foolish. And yet you insist that anyone who points that out is "European", "partisan", "biased" and so on. So the persistent attempt to defend a "silly" and "foolish" practice and to ridicule the rest of the planet who favour another sport more than your own...yeah, I would use slightly stronger words for that as I have above...

The question is, can you read what you write? I know you will have some type of excuse since you are not a man of your words.
 Mr. Raitano
Msg: 234
Posted: 5/31/2008 8:24:02 AM
I played soccer for 17 years so I can only comment on that.

There is no line shifts of course and depending the league will let you make a certain number of subs, other wise you are in the game for 90 minutes. You must have strong legs and endurance to be able to play soccer.

I've known people who say soccer is such an easy sport yet when they get on the field for people who have playing it for a long time they then look like fools, can't kick, pass and chase around the other guys who embarrass them.

Midfield of course has the most running, playing both foward and up.

Soccer may be tougher since like I said, they are out there much longer while hockey has shifts giving their players breaks
 Kaos86
Msg: 235
Posted: 5/31/2008 10:28:42 AM
I agree football is tougher.

Imagine having a 300 lb lineman pound on you week after week. Ouch!
 kingRhino
Msg: 237
Posted: 6/1/2008 8:17:57 AM
okay I've taken the librity of reading this entire thread before I posted. The physical demand of any sport varies depending on the sport and if we are talking about team sports then all moto sports and extreme sports have to be excluded for obvious reasons...anyhow on to my point. Hockey, Football, Basketball....all three of these are the most intese contact sports on the planet, they require endurance, toughness, mental awareness, skill, and that you be easily over 200+ lbs to have a chance of not getting seriously injured....soccer cannot compare to this, I don't care how high impact running is, I don't care how many people have suffered injuries from getting hit in the face with a ball flying at you at maybe 20mph? I really don't care if there are no subs for a 90 minute game! My point is that in contact sports like hockey, basketball, and sometimes American Football when you hit the court or the ice or the turf you are under constant attack be it from little speed demons that can skate 30+mph or a 280lb monster waiting to crush you into the boards. If one has never played hockey he should be allowed to question the amount of blood sweat and tears that go into a persons hockey Career. I myself have suffered countless injuries ie: broken arms, broken legs, I broke my collar bone 3 times just from taking the impace of the puck, I've torn my ACL in my right knee, tore my achillies tendon in my left ankle, I've had 10 concussions that I can remember, I've litterally ripped my pelvic muscle while trying to slid across my crease to grab a puck out of the air, I've taken some of the worst punishment ever seen in organized sports and still came back for more. I've been beat on Beat up Bloody bruised and soaking in sweat, I played one of the most physically demanding positions in sports let alone the most physically demanding sport. Dont tell me that soccer is more physically demanding because I sacrificed my entire body every nigt to see my team to victory, I've got an injury list longer then any sap soccer player alive and I'm only 23 years old. If you guys continue this whining about how hockey players get padding and how skating and our hitting is for chumps attitude alls I have to say is this....go to an arena, strap on a set of pad and get at 'er because you will never truely appreciate how physical hockey is until you play for yourself.
 kingRhino
Msg: 238
Posted: 6/1/2008 8:21:38 AM

only what 3 players in the nhl use wooden sticks now man

league mandates a Graphite or Fibreglass stick these days, not as heavey as wood but hurts about 4x when you get slashed.
 McRobbin
Msg: 239
Posted: 6/1/2008 9:03:16 AM
Not that I enjoy it, but I'd have to say that UFC is the toughest sport on the body. That kind of make sense since the objective, essentially, is to knock out your opponent or make them give up. The only way to do that is by injuring them or rendering them unconscious.

That aside, I'd have to say that hockey is way tougher on the body than soccer.
Most of the contact in soccer is light nudging and jostling for position. Sure, you have the odd hard tackle, which will cause many an Italian soccer player to writhe around in pseudo-agony until the next play, when they're somehow all better. Yes I'm North American but I still watch the game on a regular basis and this is what I see. I am not stereotyping anything.

Hockey: More physical contact, harder surface to fall on, sticks to be whacked with, slapshots to block (which hurt like a **** and can easily break ankles or feet), fistfights, shoving matches after just about every flurry around the crease. Also, hockey is played on skates, which means it's played at a faster pace than soccer. This means that collisions occur at a higher level of energy between players.
At any one time in a soccer game, there are as many as 22 players on the field. At any one time in a hockey game, there are are as many as 12 players on the ice. The area of soccer field is WAY more than the area of a hockey rink, which means that collisions in hockey, in addition to being more forceful, are also more frequent.

There's that...and there's... you know, the fact that contact in soccer is such a tightly officiated aspect of the game.
 ticatsleafsjaysfan
Msg: 241
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2008 7:00:56 AM
Pedro I don't know how many times this has been explained to you, but you still can't seem to grasp it. You continue to say that the only reason NFL is higher scoring than soccer is because in soccer 1 goal counts for 1 point or 2 goals count for 2 points. Please listen to this with unbiased opinions. In the NFL when the score is 35 - 28 (which is a typical NFL final score), in your terms that would be 5-4. A touchdown is worth 7 points, 35 divided by 7 = 5 and 28 divided by 7 = 4 , so the score is 5-4. SIMPLE! So we'll use your point system and the score is 5-4. How many soccer games have a final of 5-4? The games I see are usually 1-0 and 1-1, a high scoring game is 2-1, crazy. So the NFL has higher scoring NOT because they count a touchdown worth more points, but because there is actually MORE SCORING. Do you get it now. I'm not trying to be mean, but it can be annoying that you continue to say that there is as much scoring in soccer, but that the point system is the only difference. I hope that this has finally convinced you.

Mark
 ticatsleafsjaysfan
Msg: 242
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2008 8:18:52 AM
hi halasteve, I can't say that I've watched alot of international games, but have watched every Toronto FC game. game1 they lost 2-0 to Columbus, game2 they lost 4-1 to DC United, game 3 they won 3-2 to LA, game 4 they lost1-0 t0 Salt Lake, game 5 won 2-0 to Kansas City, game 6 tied 1-1 to New York, game7 tied 0-0, game 8 tied 0-0 to Columbus, game 9 won 1-0 to DC United, game10 won 3-2 to DC United, and game10 won2-0 to LA. Most of these games are low scoring. The winning team scored 18 goals in 10 games avg 1.8 the losing team scored 7 goals avg 0.7. The avg after 10 games was 1.8 to 0.7, I'll round it up to 2-1. My point is that soccer is too low scoring. Many of the goals are after 90min and the teams are awarded penalty kicks, which isn't really scoring. It's kicking and hoping for the best. The Toronto FC are 5-3-2 I will continue to watch and support them. I still have a problem with people telling me that soccer isn't low scoring.

Mark
 Optimistic for 2008
Msg: 243
Posted: 7/23/2008 2:54:33 PM
HOCKEY.....at least I don't think soccer has unmoveable boards that 220 lb men moving at 25+ hours an hour are ramming other men into! Of course, soccer players slip on the grass....
 heyhd
Msg: 244
Posted: 7/27/2008 3:17:05 AM

Have you ever played hockey before?? From the sounds of it you haven't. Sure the ice skating part isnt as high impact as running, but how much of the game is a soccer player running. Hockey players have to wear padding because the level of impact of a hit is soo much more intense than a soccer impact. Finally, whats the concussion rate in soccer??

In most football matches you have players who run upto 10-12 kms over the course of 90 minutes. Actually you're wrong about the level of impact for the same reason that in football there's virtually no protection for the player's body than for the essentials. Concussion rates are not the most accurate indicator of how physical a game can be. For instance if you actually follow football you will get to know that you have players dropping down like flies with minor/major injuries over the course of the regular season. In fact it is so demanding of the human body that the early 30s of a football player is seen as the twilight era of his career.

Sure there might be more 'contact' in the sport of hockey but that still does not make it even come anywhere close to football in terms of it taking a toll on ones body

If you were to take more interest in soccer you will see that I'm not kidding .
 Kaos86
Msg: 245
Posted: 7/27/2008 7:02:00 AM
As I was walking down a busy street the other day I tripped over the foot of the person walking just beside me. As I fell to the ground in slight discomfort from the pain of falling down I noticed 6 others also on the ground rolling in seemingly obvious pain from also tripping in a similar fashion. Just then a whamo ball came rolling out from the local playground and a soccer game(not sport) broke out. Then a traffic cop came over and handed a player a ticket for headbutting another player for calling his mother "a cheap piece of Euro trash".(apparantly she was from Great Britain)
Well they played and frolicked for several hours but no one could put that damn whamo ball through the makeshift goals that were as wide as city streets so, growing tired of this the whole neighborhood pitched in and in a riotous fun filled afternoon the tore the city apart.

What A Sporting Fun Time It Was!
 wizardofossington
Msg: 246
Posted: 7/27/2008 8:25:37 AM
Okay, that was funny..... But still not right....
 Kaos86
Msg: 247
Posted: 7/27/2008 9:15:31 AM
I had fun writing it.
Soccer players are obviously highly skilled athletes in great shape but in no way do they go through the punishment that a hockey player experiences most nights.
 Optimistic for 2008
Msg: 248
Posted: 7/27/2008 2:35:48 PM
Most athletes don't go through the punishment of a 82 game + pre season+ post seaon NHL games.....

And no athlete gets hurt as bad in a game and yet insists on and Does Return to continue the game....NO Athlete, Period!
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  >