Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > Public Transit      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Public TransitPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Someone mentioned, [1quote]I can get the bus

I took the bus to work today. It works on a cold day because I don't need to start my car or pay for parking, plus I live just off Pembina Hwy. But overall bus service is only good in this city for about 4 hours of the day.

There is a greenhouse warming thread, there are bike threads - but what would it take for you to take the bus more often?

Or maybe say why you would never consider it.
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Public Transit
Posted: 3/5/2007 8:22:05 PM
I hope Adam West is available to help you get to your driver's road test. lol

EDIT I agree that drunks and solvent users may have to learn to respect fellow citizens.
 RagDollChick
Msg: 3
Public Transit
Posted: 3/6/2007 9:51:17 AM
I would have to go with MKD on this one. Living in Transcona and working in the Fort Richmond area, it would take me 1 1/2-2 hours to get to work, after dropping the kids off at school vs 20 minute drive. It is an added bonus that I get to terrify the other drivers on the road and any passengers I may have with me.
 Nanner Nanner
Msg: 4
Public Transit
Posted: 3/6/2007 9:56:51 AM
Up until the last few weeks, I was an everyday user of public transit.

I am happy to say I never plan to take the bus again.

To get from West K everyday to Osborne Village 1.5 hours each way. Now with my current job on Route 90, means 1 hour 45 minutes in the morning and over 2 hours to get home. Ridiulous! Getting up every morning at 5 a.m. to take a bus all the way downtown only to get on another bus to come all the way back to the north side of the city and then walk 15 minutes to work from the nearest bus stop....stupid. Especially when it's a 10 minute drive straight up Inkster by car.

In order for me to take the bus again, the routes would have to be seriously re-evaluted and the buses would have to run at much quicker intervals.
 Caspian
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Public Transit
Posted: 3/6/2007 4:21:57 PM
reasons not to take the bus:
1) I can't control the heat which means I overheat in the summer and the winter - bundling up to catch the bus means having on more layers than I would need in a car.
2) waiting so long for buses that can be late
3) having to sit beside people who are taking up 1/2 seats, sitting in slop,
4) getting off your bus to see your connecting bus pulling away from the stop
that's a simple start.
 Caspian
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Public Transit
Posted: 3/6/2007 4:51:55 PM

Yeah, it's so terrible having to deal with other humans in real life conditions. :P

1) in 3 it was a typo i meant to say 1 and 1/2 of the seat when you get stuck with the other 1/2, and i'm not the smallest of people either.
2) 1 out of the 4 is about people and even in that case it's more of a space issue than dealing with people
3) I love dealing with people. but i'm guessing that was meant as a smart ass comment which is perfect because i'm a smart ass too
 orangerum07
Msg: 7
Public Transit
Posted: 3/6/2007 6:05:53 PM
I dont own a car as well so I take the bus pretty much everywhere. I live downtown so usually to get to any part of the city doesnt take me long. In the summer I ride my bike, which I find a lot easier to do. Sometimes I hate the bus because it does have people who are rude who wont move for the elderly, or someone with a baby. But if I know I have a long trip I bring a book or my mp3 player and watch th city go by. I find it is much more convienent then having the car, as pying for such things as a drivers license, insurance, parking and much more, just seem like a waste of my money. I prefer to buy shoes then pay for a car that contributes to polution.
 haywiresue
Msg: 8
Public Transit
Posted: 3/6/2007 6:29:50 PM
Wpgfunguy - question for you and other on you last posting.

Your comment on rapid transit - "It would nto be feasible in this city to have something like that as we dont have the critical mass to justify the expense, however, it sure does make taking transit a lot more efficient."

Dont you think more people would use public transit if the system was efficient? So this is a catch 22 situation - many people here dont use public transit because it is not efficient.

I love the Toronto Go Trains as they have secure parking areas for people who take the Go Trains into Toronto that live in the burbs and that would work here at the shopping malls. This way, people like MKD and others who have kids to drive around or pick up, could still gain significant savings from using public transit.
 susan_cd
Msg: 9
Public Transit
Posted: 3/23/2008 9:13:51 AM
Now BRT (bus rapid transit) is on the table again ?????? WTF for??? Taxpayer's $$$$ going into a project that only benefits people that ant to get from downtown to the U of M and back. I don't think any public funding should go into such a project unless it is going to service the entire city; I use the bus regularly and never have a need to take it to the U of M.

If the students & faculty feel a need for such a service, let them pay for it.
 A Purrrfect Pisces
Msg: 10
Public Transit
Posted: 3/23/2008 9:37:26 AM
Maybe we could start a fleet of Harley's to assist in public transportation ...... pick me to manage that company ....................

PP
 wpghockeyguy77
Msg: 11
Public Transit
Posted: 3/23/2008 9:45:31 AM
there are many problems with transit in wpg. i lived in calgary and the LRT was great. people who worked downtown used it since as said earlier there were many park and rides along the route that had plug ins.

wpg buys some cheapest optioned buses from new flyer (ex new flyer employee). ottawa for example buys 60ft articulate buses with warm walls meaning it has a nice heating system to keep the bus warm. edmonton has bought them as well. you can get a bus with a/c as well. bottom line the city doesnt spend the $ to buy buses that could be more comfortable for the users. If you look at the current fleet not all buses are capable for handicap people. the old style is not handicap friendly. the new ones are kneeling buses which means they can drop the entrance down to sidewalk level and extend the ramp for wheelchairs.

the city needs to re-think transit and buy more 60ft buses to haul more people during peak hrs and at the same time make more express buses.
 susan_cd
Msg: 12
Public Transit
Posted: 3/23/2008 10:05:31 AM
It seems everytime BRT comes up, someone in th emedia (usually a newspaper columnist) will devote a column showing how good our bus service is by spending a day being dropped off at various locations & bussing it somewhere. BUT they always seem to do these test during prime periods (AM and PM rush hour times etc) and end the column by praising how convenient/ fast the service is. I'd like to see them start in Transcona around 10 PM Sunday & go to Charleswood or Inkster Park, Garden City....

Forget the BRT, lets spend the money improving service on non-peak hours and days; not everyone in Winnipeg works a 9-5 Monday to Friday job downtown.
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Public Transit
Posted: 3/23/2008 11:14:46 AM
Considering how cranky everyone is over on the "%&$@**! carriages on buses" thread, sounds like transit should have more buses where you can fold up the seat to make room for strollers, oxygen tanks (wth?) babies and groceries.

I own and drive a car, some people on the bus don't. A little social tolerance is a good thing. When I take a bus it is by choice.

I live just off of Pembina Hwy, and take the bus to work downtown when the weather is poor and I don't have my kids. BRT will not only help transit riders avoid confusion corner at peak times, it'll help those mobs of car drivers who currently wait for 4 or 5 light changes to get through there.

I can accept buses as a start. Winnipeg will never grow if it does not develop better public transit.

winnipegrapidtransit ca/wrtneed htm lays out a plan for a city wide service.

Happy Easter everyone
 juan mo oclock
Msg: 14
Public Transit
Posted: 3/23/2008 12:02:03 PM
Is there not some type of special service in Norwood Flats/ St. B. that picks you up at the door run by transit? and not handi trasit either.
 SmartAlec
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Public Transit
Posted: 3/23/2008 8:53:00 PM
unfortunately we have severe weather here! that is a drawback. If I didnt need my car for work I might consider it! Particularly if I had errands downtown on the way home.
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Public Transit
Posted: 3/24/2008 7:03:15 PM
Just a little comment about transit and not living in a convenient place. I think the Munkeechi & wpg chick both live in areas without access to public transit. You have to move. (j/k)

Cities get more dense around transport hubs. Look at the train/subway stops in Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver or any other big city. They are very busy places. Lets face it most of us just want to get through our day with a minimum of hassle. If I can get where I want to go with a minimum of fuss - thats really all I want. I don't need a high end SUV to accomplish that.

Winnipeg has a long way to go to being convenient without a car.
 susan_cd
Msg: 17
Public Transit
Posted: 7/6/2010 12:55:16 PM

Your comment on rapid transit - "It would nto be feasible in this city to have something like that as we dont have the critical mass to justify the expense, however, it sure does make taking transit a lot more efficient."

Dont you think more people would use public transit if the system was efficient?

Every study done in cities which brought in bus rapid transit showed no significant increase in the number of people taking the bus, it just showed the same people that were taking the bus before were now taking the new rapid transit system.
Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > Public Transit