Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Does she still want a man to open her car door.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Arlo Troutman
Msg: 98
Does she still want a man to open her car door.Page 6 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

after a few dates the door opening stops.

If a person experiences positive results from behaving a certain way, the behaviour tends to continue. If a person experiences negative results from behaving a certain way, the behaviour tends NOT to continue.

!Les
 Arlo Troutman
Msg: 99
Does she still want a man to open her car door.
Posted: 11/29/2007 4:24:04 PM

maybe this is the reason why so many people in our world are scared to help each other out (male or female) for the fear of the person they are helping is going to bite their head off!!!!!

Manners is not a simple matter of one person doing nice things for the other without any feedback. A lot of it has to do, in my never-humble opinion, with the RECIPIENT being gracious about receiving the polite behaviour. A lot of people simply don't know how to respond to being shown consideration and politeness. Politeness requires effort on the part of BOTH parties: the do-er to initiate the behaviour, and the recipient by acknowledging the behaviour and responding appropriately. When a person doesn't respond appropriately, I don't get angry or upset; I get sad, because he or she has almost certainly never been exposed to courteous treatment, and doesn't know how to respond.

!Les
 Prissymae
Msg: 100
Posted: 11/30/2007 8:45:37 AM
I LOVE that sh*t! By all means dude, open my door, help me with my coat and PULEAZE pour that glass of wine.
 wild heart
Msg: 101
Posted: 11/30/2007 9:36:04 AM
I think it is very nice to do those things. I notice those little things much more than someone paying the bill for me. Actions like those don't make me feel less of a person in any way.

My father will still sometimes open the car door for my mom, and I think it is very sweet.
 DenaliDadd
Msg: 102
Posted: 11/30/2007 9:56:09 AM
i am 58 and have dated women of two age groups recently and had two different responses. A 59 y/o woman was astounded that I did such things and finally learned to just sit in her seat until I came around to open her door and to stand in front of a door and wait for me to open it. I also dated a 48 y/o woman who slapped my hand the first time I tried to open the door for her and made some sassy comment about "being able to do it myself." Not surprisingly, we did not date again.
 Fun FL girl
Msg: 103
Posted: 11/30/2007 10:04:21 AM
oh yes, any guy that opens a door for me is a big turn on!
 LADYBUGG!!
Msg: 104
Posted: 11/30/2007 9:35:17 PM
every LADY loves a GENTLEMAN! ...... I DEFENITELY DO!! ........ ......... .......................................
 lbgent
Msg: 105
Posted: 12/1/2007 1:22:04 AM
It's great to see so many ladies responding positively, who appreciate chivalry.

And the spice that it adds doesn't have to get old. I say to men, keep pulling the chairs, keep standing when she returns to the table, keep pouring her wine for her, and keep honoring her by arriving early wherever you're meeting her and not making her wait alone for you. And when picking her up at her home, do not be late. You could probably say these things will more impress a woman after six months or a year of dating, rather than just on the first date or two and then the guy forgets all about it, though only the women out there can really answer that. There are husbands married decades who still practice chivalry, so it has to have something going for it.
 stevelfun
Msg: 106
Posted: 12/1/2007 3:47:11 AM
I think that those things are cool.

Don't let others change what you do. Change because that is what you want to do.

Another thing I like to do is to walk on the curb side of the side walk with them to stand between them and the street (especially in the winter) OR the opposite side if there are alot of 'street people', etc hanging out in doorways and the like.

Every once in a while you can be made to feel like a dope though. Like goin' to help with her chair - and it is bolted to the floor.... LOL

Hey, if you can't laugh at yourself - who can you laugh at?

Best to all.
 medana
Msg: 107
Posted: 12/1/2007 4:36:04 AM
i am a strong supporter of chivalry. if a man doesnt know how to treat a woman, well then, he better go learn and come back when he does

lol
 PercentileIndex
Msg: 108
Posted: 12/1/2007 5:44:38 AM
wpg chick: It has nothing to do with unlocking the doors! It's called being a gentleman and chilvalrous.

If I'm out on a date I expect the man to do all of these little things. Even when I was married and my hubby took me out for an evening he did these little things. It makes me feel taken care of. Like he's protecting me and making sure I'm ok.

These days this art seems to be lost. I was out not long ago with a younger gentleman (closer to my age )and he didn't open the vehicle door for me. I stood out there for a couple of minutes while he started the engine. I finally climbed in and told him he is to open the door for me. The rest of the evening he was opening all the doors for me. :)

Men are easily trainable.
 wild heart
Msg: 109
Posted: 12/1/2007 6:12:09 AM
crazylilting, the reason it got to 6 pages is because of your comment that you have been looked at cross when you did open the door for someone.

Unfortunately some women really do not like these things or look at it differently, which is okay for them but has confused some men which is why they are asking the question!

I guess because some women have made snide comments about these types of actions to some men, they wonder whether they should be doing these things anymore.

I have complete strangers do this for me and think it is very nice. I have my brothers clean the snow off my car - there is no agenda in there, it's just being nice and I really notice and remember these things. It gives you a nice feeling when people do nice things for you after all!

I had a boyfriend do the walking on the traffic side of the curb when I was 19! I didn't know what he was doing and asked him lol. Once he explained I thought it was really sweet.
 bullielover62
Msg: 110
Posted: 12/1/2007 7:18:55 AM
Yes please!!

~Open the door for me.

~Walk on the side of the street, keeping me safe away from the curbside.

~Pull my chair out for me.

~Help me remove my coat and back on again when we're about to leave.

And I will thank you for being the incredible man your momma taught you to be....

Be a bad boy any other time you want, but when you're with me, I should be the little treasure you've been waiting all your life for.

And I will thank you for being the incredible man you are to me......

meow
 lbgent
Msg: 111
Posted: 12/1/2007 7:52:08 AM
I hear you loud and clear, meow.

Treasure a lady on a date and treat her with the utmost respect. She deserves it.
 XoticDeeva
Msg: 112
Posted: 12/1/2007 9:47:59 AM
I think what you do is great, sounds romantic & very respectful! I luv old school values in a man, you're a rarity!
 singlefishy
Msg: 113
Posted: 12/1/2007 2:26:34 PM
I think it is absolutely wonderful when a man is always a gentleman!!!
 Song Sparrow
Msg: 114
Posted: 12/1/2007 2:51:27 PM
Keep doing the things you do Dan,
I dream about a guy like you. Some of us gals really like to be treated like a real lady by a great gentleman. It shows the values you were brought up with and it means a lot.
cheers
SS
 meowgrrrr83
Msg: 115
Posted: 12/3/2007 10:52:36 AM
As you say those are " respect", qualities... Minority out there still have them... Unfortunately... hence some women take it as "wtf" due to being used to "today's men"...

By the way: Where are all of you GENTLEMEN... Im looking for one..
 Arlo Troutman
Msg: 116
Posted: 12/4/2007 5:33:01 PM

I think it is absolutely wonderful when a man is always a gentleman!!!

A gentleman is a man who can walk into a room where there are 10 women, compliment one of them, and the other nine don't feel overlooked...

!Les
 El_Mariachi
Msg: 117
Posted: 12/4/2007 5:42:19 PM
Is my arm broken?
 grayloc
Msg: 118
Posted: 12/4/2007 5:47:23 PM
keep doing those 'old fashioned' things because you are the one that seems to be a dying breed. i understand that women want to be independent and take care of themselves etc, etc and i'm one of those women. but there is nothing wrong with opening a car door or pouring her drink first. it's those little things that make a women feel very special. if you find that your date doesn't appreciate the little things you do... then you need to find someone that does. it's important you continue to be an 'old bugger'... if only more men were old buggers like you :)
 merry0709
Msg: 119
Posted: 12/4/2007 6:41:28 PM
I think it is nice, especially when going somewhere formal, when you are dressed up.
But to insist that the lady stays seated until you walk around to let her out is a bit much. I have had men say to me "listen, don`t you dare open that door when you are with me, I know how to treat a lady. The funniest part is, they always end up being the biggest jerks about other things." So I guess rule of thumb is to be observant as to what the lady is comfortable with, and to not insist to do it. But I think it is a very nice touch if it is sincere and not forced. I like gentlemen.
 Tess*
Msg: 120
Posted: 12/5/2007 9:33:31 AM
Sure, It's "Old-fashioned" but I personally think It's something that should still be done. I think It's great when a guy opens the door, helps me put on my coat, pours my glass of wine first etc. It's not something that absolutely has to be done, but It's definitely a nice gesture. If a guy has good manners and acts like a gentleman I am much more likely to consider a relationship with him.
 artistic-serenity*
Msg: 121
Posted: 12/5/2007 9:52:10 AM
I love when a man is a gentleman... hand on the lower back as he opens the door and guides me in.... assists wth my chair ... all the special things (which I in turn do for him as a lady)... I think it is more about common mutual courtesy :-)

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Does she still want a man to open her car door.