Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 brokensmilensj
Msg: 172
Going back to school in your 30's....Page 6 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
*raises hand* I returned to school because of a divorce. Like you, I was married for most of my 20's. I worked up until I had my son and I never worried about a career because my ex and I had decided I would stay home to raise our son. Well life is funny and never turns out as we plan so I ended up having to return to school in order to plan for my future. It was the best decision of my life! I think it's never too late to work on your education or career goals. I am so glad I have. I graduate in June and I will have finished the program I am in then as well too. I will be able to start my new career.

Best wishes to you!
 dkhoney
Msg: 173
view profile
History
Going back to school in your 30's....
Posted: 2/2/2008 2:11:35 AM
I am currently in university, 1 more year to go for my degree. At first I was scared to death but it was definately the right move. Of course now that I only have a year to go I am considering graduate studies. Odds are I will be 40 or close to it by the time I am done, but I don't really care. This is something I am doing for me.
 Caper143
Msg: 174
Posted: 2/2/2008 3:04:01 AM
I'm sort of in your shoes...I'm divorced and I have a 7 year old child. I want to go back to school and be a teacher. I think it's the perfect career for a mother....when you are at work then your child is in school, when she is off then usually you are too. I just don't see how I can do it...My daughter is 7 years old and I guess I haven't figured out how to balance the bills of going back to school, I don't have many people to help in watching her so it's mostly just the two of us...I'd be interested to know how you pulled this off...feel free to even send me a message in my profile. :)
 sister6
Msg: 175
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2008 12:34:52 PM
After raising my daughter primarily by myself until she was 12 and I figured she would be OK not having Mommy around so much. It was a very long process I started when I was 30 retaking my grade 12 because the one I had taken through community college years before was no longer accepted. It was helpful though and I discovered that I was very good at science, especially chemistry. I started the Chemical Technology program when I was 33. It was intense and I did nothing but study for 3 years but I know I would never have had the focus or determination to do it earlier. Of a class that atarted with over 30 students, fastfowarded 3 years to graduation and there are only 8, I was among them. I have a great position and truly like my job. It is so worth it. I think when you go back to school as a mature student you already understand some of the basic, discipline, self sacrifice, moderation and it make the experience much more rewarding. I would encourage anyone thinking of going back to school in there 30 to go for it.
 DJMac
Msg: 177
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2008 4:19:06 PM
After a ten year hiatus, I finally got off my ass, did what needed to be done and am currently going back to school. I must say I really like, but I have always liked college. Now all I gotta do is figure out what I want to do with my life. One thing that has made things a bit complicated for me is that I scheduled my classes around my work schedule and at the time I was working from 2pm to 10pm. Well they stuck me on nights910pm to 6am), and my classes start at 9am. Basically I go home, sleep for a bit, get up and go to class, then come back home and go to bed. When I get up I have to do homework, and other stuff around the house that needs to be done. It dosent leave me much time, but I have to admit going back to school is so far a fun challenge and I love learning. Only regret is that I wish I would have been more focued about 10 years ago, I could have had my degree by now.
 BlondLioness
Msg: 181
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2008 2:40:31 PM
Well, I'm not in my 30's now, but I first went back to school after about a 12 year hiatus, I was 35 working towards an Associates degree in Business Administration. It was how I was coping with the loss of my husband...I was able to throw myself into the school work. When I graduated two years later, I had earned not only the Business degree, but a Liberal Studies one as well as a couple of certificates. Five years passed since I earned those, and now I'm back in school again - this time going for Bachelor degrees in Communications and Psychology.

Point being, the professors *love* having adult students in their classes. They know we're serious about being here...we're not killing time, putting off getting "real" jobs, or worried about the next party. We have life experience that the other students do not, the professors can relate stories to us better. They often are more understanding of any situations we might encounter that might make things a bit more challenging. We are the serious students. We're not thinking about whether or not we wore the right thing to school...I dont know about you, I'm usually just relieved when my socks match getting ready in the mornings. College-age girls obsess about fashion, we think about comfort...

On the downside, most times we, the older student is kind of treated as a pariah. The kids dont know how to relate to us, so we have to put out a little bit of an effort to be seen as students just like them. (Which is a pain when we have group projects to do...) I think we're compared to mom's...and who wants to work with their moms (or dads)? When I was in the Community College, it was less of a problem, there were many returning students there, but in the university it's a different story.

In spite of that, I love being back in school and I cant wait to see what I will do with my degrees when I finish...lol.
 english lass
Msg: 185
Posted: 2/13/2008 9:05:04 PM
yup, doing a BA at the moment through distance education with a University out of Alberta - works out well as i can work the hours i spend on studying around, according to the needs of my children and other activities/work/etc
 harleycwgrl74
Msg: 186
Posted: 2/14/2008 2:01:13 PM
<<<< Single mom, 33...... In a full time (40 hour a week) program, I have about 20 hours a week of homework. Even after being out of school for 17 years I am maintaining a 3.20gpa.... better then I ever did in H.S.
Don't let anyone tell you after your 30 (40, 50 or even 60) you shouldn't go back to school!!!
If you have the opportunity to better yourself, DO IT!
 studplayrico
Msg: 188
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2008 12:41:33 PM
Not an easy task when you are in the military but I decided to go to school and I love it. I wish I would it done much sooner. I figure after 3 tour in hell, I better get educated.
 JadeMuse
Msg: 189
Posted: 2/20/2008 2:01:27 PM
I had a whole other career as a makeup artist in the L.A. Film industry for eight years.
I went back to school to finish my B.A. (everyone has at least a Master's in my family). Spent three semesters on the Dean's List at a J.C., and transferred to U.C. Berkeley after that. It was really a challenge to be a 29 year-old junior at a major university --surreal place that CAL still is... My life experience did play a major role in my studies there, though. The only serious problem I had was the brand-new Windows XP operating system on my new laptop.
I was supposed to have been able to run a small, third-world country on that stupid paperweight. I ended up studying on my own for about two months just to understand enough of the terminology in order to be able to have "relationship counseling" with the damn thing!
Now, I work in at a smaller market T.V. station in a technical operations position.
While I was there, I did take two friends from my class on their 21st birthday crawls... That was fun!
Properly sacrificed and marked with a Sharpie, as it should be.
Now, if only my brother had taught me all of the drinking games he promised to teach me before I went back that he learned as an undergraduate at UCSB... I am relegated to an occasional game of "Quarters" with the local frat boys from Cal Poly! *hick*
Okay... It only happened twice... ; )
 *buzz*
Msg: 195
view profile
History
Posted: 10/27/2008 2:21:41 PM
I am curious as to how many people out there have done the same with starting over after divorce and going back to school.

Once 'earthquake' was over and I found my balance after some 'aftershocks', I just had to re-evalute my professional side on these shores. Logistics were more than .
After several 'hiccups' (with private sector & family business) I ended up in a school - running the school as a member of a team and the virtual husband = PC with its neverending updating/upgrading modules and its glitches - keeps me on my toes.
Sharpening brain, exercising eye for details and a frisky pace while buzzing is stil ON

P.S.
Even this side of life started after 40.
 dead fish
Msg: 196
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2008 8:58:52 PM
My worst mistake ever. I was working for a co. I got laid off after ten years with them.
So like around year 7 and after surviving a laid off and moving to a different department, I went back to school. Nobody actually cared that I went back to school and I got that "B.S." degree. Tried applying other places. It seems it more like who you know and also they prefer experience over education.
Everyday I wake up one of the first things I think about it's that ever increasing student loan almost on default. But as or right now it's not one of my main problems.
Big, big mistake and I feel I will be regreting it for the rest of my life
 dead fish
Msg: 202
view profile
History
Posted: 11/2/2008 4:51:25 PM
So I'm the only one to think and feel going back to school was a mistake?
I knew a girl at work who had a useless degree in French. She had my same kind of stupid job. But she was happy! Now she was going for her master's in Business something. She told me college wasn't for everybody. I said, now you tell me.

What happens if I don't pay this money back? I'm thinking of moving out of the country and hide.
 mcfly762
Msg: 203
Posted: 11/9/2008 9:41:45 AM
"During my master program it was a journey through self discovery and it helped me make decisions regarding my life, my marriage and my child. I graduated with my masters in June 2005 and my divorce was final in July 2005. It was a big year for me. Furthering my education in my 30's has helped me to become a stronger, healthier and most of all happier person. Just ask my friends who saw the before and after! Someday, I may go back for my law degree but I have to get my child through college first!"

To any guys that are married with kids: Get ready to be hit with those divorce papers when your honey gets her masters!
 mcfly762
Msg: 204
Posted: 11/9/2008 9:42:53 AM
"Snoogles, I just turned 44 and am back in school as well. As far as your education goes, it's never too late and it is ALWAYS a good thing! I was worried how it would go after being out of school for all of those years, however, I think it's one of the best decisions I've ever made! Good luck!"

Education is not ALWAYS a good thing. Degrees do not always pay off in the marketplace.

http://hauns.com/~DCQu4E5g/Education2.html
 WanderingRain
Msg: 206
view profile
History
Posted: 11/9/2008 7:31:49 PM
I've always thought about it. But nowadays, it will have to be a course I would love to learn just for fun.
 Str8shooter68
Msg: 207
Posted: 11/11/2008 12:28:14 PM
At 40 yo, I'm almost finished my second semester back in a university with a few years to go for my degree. It's a lot of work and I ask myself all the time, "what the hell do you think you're doing?" lol. But I keep plugging away and am receiving respectable grades. Last semester there was a 74 yo guy in my statistics class, it's never too late.
 FloridaGal00
Msg: 209
Posted: 11/16/2008 8:49:14 AM
I renember my mother went back to become an RN in her mid 40's graduated in her late 40's and this was quite a while ago I was in h/s then. I think people of all ages go back 30's and 40's some for a 2nd career because they want to change as was my moms reason.
 mysteriousromeo
Msg: 217
view profile
History
Posted: 11/21/2008 8:38:51 PM
I never went to college right out of high school like most people do. I didn't start college until about four years ago when I landed a job that reimburses me up to 4 credits per semester. So for the past four years I've been taking just one or two classes per semester and slowly working my way towards a degree. I'm 31 years old and so far I have about 70 college credits. I'll keep taking classes for years to come so long as I have the time and my job keeps reimbursing me. There is so much stuff to learn and you can never have enough knowledge.
 dawny_in_MI
Msg: 218
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2008 9:45:41 PM
I am in nursing school, age 36. Many in the program with me are 30, 40 +. It's hard, and I do not have the responsibilities of a husband, kids, pets, etc. Many do, and I salute you! I wish I would have done this in the mid 90's like I started out to, but I got sidetracked. It's never to late. Plus, you can meet interesting people in the hospital! McDreamy, McSteamy, etc.
 edvis1
Msg: 221
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2008 11:21:18 PM
Sometimes it's harder to do when you have property taxes and other financial commitments and then the added burden of having to find a way of paying for school.
 cfb62
Msg: 223
view profile
History
Posted: 12/23/2008 12:36:00 PM
I went back to school.
A student in one of my classes, believing she was "all that" called me "the mom" one day. She was really rude.
The other kids really gave her a hard time about it, and stuck up for me. I didn't have to say a word. It was really sweet.

Stick with it and best of luck!!!!
 mitchchan
Msg: 224
Posted: 12/23/2008 6:44:10 PM
actually i just started my school this month for medical offfice assistant course - its a 9 month course with 4 week internship.

since the economy is recession, it is a good time to head back to school to upgrade or even switch careers.

you can never be too old to go back to school!
 mitchchan
Msg: 225
Posted: 12/23/2008 6:46:03 PM

Sometimes it's harder to do when you have property taxes and other financial commitments and then the added burden of having to find a way of paying for school.

i have to agree... if you have other committments in life... going to school might not be an option...
 areumyfrog2
Msg: 228
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2008 3:49:07 PM
I also like yourself haven't been back to school in 16 years and am in my 30's and I'm wondering "what am I doing"? I have to keep my eyes on the big picture however and know that in the end this will all pay off and as they say "this too shall pass" I have to admit I am scared to death however...I am also a single mom to a 3 year old and wondering "am I doing the right thing" or "am I just insane" but I know in the end it will show her that it doesn't matter how old you are, your never too old to go back to school:)
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >