Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > California  > Is Height an issue to Men?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mz taken
Msg: 351
view profile
History
Is Height an issue to Men?Page 15 of 19    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19)
poor dudes hafta worry about being height-challenged and now they need to worry if their tongues are long enough to trip over.......

wow
hefty hilts, strong I-can-get-the-job-done carbon blades, and now loooooooooong tongues.
what delicious visions to start my weekend with.

~mz, buckling on her swash as she types
 eeek
Msg: 352
view profile
History
Is Height an issue to Men?
Posted: 10/10/2008 5:19:46 PM
poor dudes hafta worry about being height-challenged and now they need to worry if their tongues are long enough to trip over.......

Wouldn't the short guys have an un-fair advantage there?

~mz, buckling on her swash as she types

Typing one handed?

OK, so I forgot how to copy and paste a quote on here... hmmm

While you are replying just look over there -------------->
 mz taken
Msg: 353
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2008 6:15:34 PM
^^^I graduated from the Lilly Walters school of One Hand Qwerty Typing.
 whatuwant2do
Msg: 354
view profile
History
Posted: 10/31/2008 2:30:49 PM

I just don't feel as attracted to shorter women. When I dance with a woman I want to look into her eyes, not at the top of her head, so that's part of the reason petite women have no attraction for me. You're 6'0" and you'd the top side of my range. 5'6" is the low end of my range

My ex BF is 6'2" and he prefers women to be about 5'2", I never did get that, but it is his preference and he is of course entitled to it. On the other hand a friend of mine who is also 6'2" feels as you do, his ideal height for a women is 5'9". Not only because they are better dance partners, his biggest complaint was that he was tired of getting a knee in the crotch from his petite girlfriend sleeping next to him!
 AUG2008
Msg: 355
Posted: 10/31/2008 11:46:18 PM
I think height is more of an issue to women. I have dated taller women than me and it didn't bother me. Women get hung up on this issue. I guess women associate height with intelligence ! Also a lot of women want a much younger man, based on many of the postings on POF I have seen ? Figue that one out.
 Bobishere4u
Msg: 356
Posted: 11/3/2008 11:38:25 AM
I could care less how tall a date is...but of course I don't date that much because I am too short..Height matters to women more than it matters to men..IF one is tall they get it all if one is short like me then, well at least there is still beer....Oh well...life goes on...
 jsphn11
Msg: 357
Posted: 11/3/2008 6:28:34 PM
Yep, short men and overweight women are underpriviledged class... Not fair, but true..
 kewlpeeps
Msg: 358
Posted: 11/3/2008 6:30:29 PM
I'm willing to date someone who is either seven inches shorter or seven inches taller.
 indianbob
Msg: 359
view profile
History
Posted: 11/4/2008 3:01:04 AM
I don't care, it's only an issue for the lady I may have an interest in. There are a lot of women that seem to have a personal issue with this and if that's a deal breaker, so be it. Often though women are wearing heels and that means the man needs to be an extra couple of inches taller just to cover her fake height. So she could really be 5'6" or 5'7" and I'd be on the out because she's wears 3 or 4 inches of heel and I'm only 5'9". I'm sure most of it has to do with DNA and that protector gene that has gone on through the ages.

Later, Bob
 Bangalkit
Msg: 360
Posted: 11/4/2008 12:25:40 PM
I know how you feel, I am 5'11" but I love my heels, and yet I have dated men who were shorter than me. Since being single again I have found that some men feel uncomfortable with my height. I get comments like, you really are that tall? and oh well that is taller than me, I am only...... I think part of it is that they don't feel manly. Like they are taking care of you, most men feel more comfortable with a shorter woman I think because it brings out there protective instinct.

But again that doesn't help the amazons of the world. And intellect does play a huge part too, having the two together, height and brains tends to be overwhelming to some men. I had one guy tell me the combination made him nervous around me. So who knows.
 chuckyB51
Msg: 361
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2008 8:30:16 PM
Great article from the founder of LunchDates regarding this issue...

Dating column: Women hypocrites for refusing to date short men
By Steve Penner
August 15, 2008 6:00 AM
The first column I wrote three years ago dealt with the single issue that bugged me the most during the 23 years I ran the dating service LunchDates. Frankly, it was the aggravation caused by this issue that partially motivated me to start writing these columns.

I am referring to single women's prejudice against meeting short men. Since I doubt that too many current readers actually saw that column, I decided to revisit the topic. After all, this is one area in which many women display all the shallowness and superficiality that they love to accuse men of possessing.

The same woman who is 10-20 pounds overweight, and who cannot understand why a man might not want to date her because of those few extra pounds ...; that same woman often will refuse to meet a man who is 2 inches shorter than her "ideal."

During my years at LunchDates I interviewed women who were very flexible about a man's religion, his hobbies, and even whether he was divorced. But the one criterion they would not budge on was his height!

I am not just talking about tall women. It is certainly understandable that a woman who is 5 feet 10 inches might want to meet a man over 6 feet tall. (In fact, though, the few women who stated that they were open to meeting men shorter than themselves tended to be taller women.)

What really perplexed me was the number of short women who insisted that they only would date men considerably taller than themselves. It was very common for women 5 feet 4 inches or under to state that they "absolutely" only wanted to meet a man at least 5 feet 10 inches, and they really preferred 6 feet.

I find it amazing how many women have attached an almost magical meaning to the height of 6-feet tall. If society tended to describe people in terms of inches rather than feet, I wonder how attractive it would sound to hear a man described as "72 inches tall," rather than "70 inches."

If you are skeptical, have a single man you know place an ad on an Internet dating site saying that he is 6 feet. Than have another man place an identical ad except for stating that he is only 5 feet 10 inches. I guarantee that the first ad will attract nearly twice as many responses from women!

Now many of the women I interviewed at LunchDates were "modern" women who insisted on equality in every way ...; except height. That is, they were educated, had good jobs, and earned a decent income. They only wanted to meet men who also were educated, had good jobs, and earned a decent income.

But those men also had to be tall! When pushed to the wall and asked their reasons, they replied with some of the following excuses:

"I usually wear shoes with at least three to four-inch heels," some women responded very naturally. They also frequently pointed out that many boots have even higher heels. So these women would add at least three to four inches to their own height just to pull even, then another few inches to make sure that the man on their arm was still taller.
"My father, my brother, and all the men in my family are over 6 feet, so that is what I am used to," one women stated, insisting that she KNEW that the average height of men was around 6 feet. When I tried to tell her that the median height of men was between 5 feet 8 inches and 5 feet 9 inches, she got up and angrily marched out of the interview room!
"I am short, and I am looking for a man to father my children, and I don't want to have short children," a number of women told me, with a straight face, I might add.
"I just feel safer when I walk down the street with a man who is much taller than me," was also a common response.
"I am only attracted to tall men, I just can't help it!"

So where does this height bias leave short men? Behind the proverbial eight-ball, I am sad to say. After all, take a woman who is only 5 feet 2 inches, add three to four inches for her "heels," another two to three inches so she can feel safe, and lo and behold, it is not unusual for such a women to refuse to meet any man under 5 feet 9 inches. That means she is eliminating about one-half of the male population.

I was especially disheartened when interviewing a man under 5 feet 6 inches. After all, it is easy to tell a single man or woman who smokes a pack a day that he or she would have a much higher Dating Quotient (that is be easier to match) if he or she quit smoking. It is a little more awkward to tell a woman who is very overweight that she will be difficult to match unless she drops a few pounds.

But a smoker can quit, and an overweight woman can lose weight. But there is not much a short man can do.

Fortunately I am not referring to all women. There are (and were) exceptions.

For research purposes, I occasionally would glance through my dating service's "married file," (a file that obviously contained the profiles of couples who met and married through LunchDates). I noted that many of the women in that file had stated in their interview that they really cared very little how tall their matches were, and that flexibility had translated into a very successful membership.

Then I looked through the file of people who had completed their membership at LunchDates without meeting anyone. Sure enough, it was full of those women who had insisted they would only meet men much taller than themselves.

Over the years I became increasingly frustrated by many women's lack of flexibility in this area. Once I decided I was really going to "negotiate" with a short woman who was insisting that she only wanted to meet men over 6 feet. The woman had just stated that she was looking to get married and have children.

"You realize that if you are talking about growing old with a man, most people shrink a couple of inches as they hit old age," I said.

The woman paused, thought about what I said, then responded "Well, if he's going to shrink, all the more reason to only meet someone very tall!"

Steve Penner was the owner of the Boston-based dating service LunchDates for nearly 23 years.
 Dezracer123
Msg: 362
Posted: 11/6/2008 11:04:38 AM
It dosent matter
 eeek
Msg: 363
view profile
History
Posted: 11/6/2008 3:43:44 PM

Women hypocrites for refusing to date short men

It doesn't matter. Women will do what they want to do and articles aren't going to change that. If a woman doesn't want to date you because you are too short, are you going to pester her with labels like hypocrite in hopes she'll change her mind? (Please don't say yes)
 Violet Tigress
Msg: 364
Posted: 11/6/2008 4:40:30 PM

If a woman doesn't want to date you because you are too short, are you going to pester her with labels like hypocrite in hopes she'll change her mind? (Please don't say yes)

Lots of guys would. I don't get it. Would you really want a mercy date?
 skoochie
Msg: 365
view profile
History
Posted: 11/6/2008 4:51:02 PM
^^I would never take a woman to a hospital for a date.

I don't think it is an issue to men as much as it is to women. Women hear that old stereotype of the ideal man (tall, dark and handsome) from when they are young. So you can't blame them for being predisposed to adore a certain type of man. C'mon, tall is the first of those criterium. As they get older they learn to desire (gold-diggers aside) a compassionate, attentative and considerate man.

Well I said that it isn't a big issue to men but, I wouldn't date a woman four inches taller than me. She'd always accuse me of staring at her breasts. Not that she'd be wrong but, it would be harder for me to argue against.
 katerivta
Msg: 366
Posted: 11/6/2008 4:57:40 PM
I'm tall. In my experience, height has only been an issue to me, but not for men I've known...
 eeek
Msg: 367
view profile
History
Posted: 11/6/2008 7:33:36 PM

Lots of guys would.

That's all too true. Sigh.

I don't get it.

I certainly don't get it either. Why waste one's time that way?

Would you really want a mercy date?

Nope.
 chuckyB51
Msg: 368
view profile
History
Posted: 11/7/2008 9:55:17 PM
I think that Steve Penner the founder of LunchDates gives a very unbiased viewpoint based on his experiences in the article I posted. He gives a great observation to height.
 eeek
Msg: 369
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2008 12:36:33 AM

I think that Steve Penner the founder of LunchDates gives a very unbiased viewpoint

I think you are wrong.

He gives a great observation to height.

Even if he is right, what is the point? If women are biased as to your distance from the ground, that is how it is. Plenty of short men find mates; those that are obsessed with the issue most likely won't. Which set do you want to be in?
 chuckyB51
Msg: 370
view profile
History
Posted: 11/8/2008 12:33:33 PM
Another article from Sunday World in New Zealand putting down shorter men.

Size does matter
Cute, maybe, but little weenies just don’t cut it
Saturday July 26, 2008 22:46 - (SA)

My friend has promised to stay away from poor men but I forgot to tell her that short men are just as unappealing and freaky, especially in public.

Dating a short man is ridiculous because you attract unnecessary attention all the time.

It’s worse than being a black chick dating a white man.

When folk see you and a short man in public as a couple, from behind he looks like your son and from the front he looks like your garden gnome.

You end up feeling like you are part of a circus.

How can you date a man as tall as an 11-year-old boy?

“I had a short man once and it was comical,” my friend chips in.

“He always avoided shopping with me. One day I spotted him going to the children’s department looking for shoes.

“I never mentioned the topic of shopping again.”

I’m not being mean but if you want a reason to dump your short man then take him to a crowded area, switch off your phone and later tell him you couldn’t find him.

But what are you doing with him in the first place?

The worst is when they have a big head on that small body. Who the hell can you introduce him to?

Do you ask him to wear platform heels even though we are not in the 70s? To avoid being insensitive, please be more careful when flirting with a stranger, especially when you aren’t sure of his height.

Tips:
Never make eye contact or respond to a man smiling at you when he is sitting down until you have made sure that his feet touch the floor.

Make sure he is not standing at the table when you assume he is sitting down.

If a man who has been recommended by a friend calls you and asks you out, and he is overly aggressive on the phone, that is a clear sign that he is short with a complex and rage.

Yes, he will take it out on you.

Imagine the embarrassment of being beaten up by a vertically challenged weenie!

Just as you would goggle a man before dating him, please goggle him to check his height before meeting him for a date.

His voice should also give you an indication of his height. Apparently short men have girl voices, so avoid men who have no baritone.

But there are advantages says my friend.

Advantages:

You can use him as a blanket during winter.

You get discounts at golf courses by pretending he is a student wanting to play.

You get free entry at the local circus by pretending to be his assistant. All you need is some make-up and voila! – they will assume he is the circus midget.

He can share clothes with your son and when you want to buy him a gift you can go to the boys section, which is cheaper than the adult section.

He will be loyal in a relationship as he can’t believe he doesn’t have to pick from circus folk.

But there are also disadvantages:

Dating a short man makes people think you are desperate for a lay.

It will always be a topic of discussion for your friends, unless of course he has six other friends and you change your name to Snow White.

You will have to eventually see him naked and I’m told it’s a weird sight as everything is adult but so small.

You will have to buy him a pillow (to prop him up) during meal times so as to see him.

You will even be more embarrassed if it turns out he is a serious and committed gangster or a raving homosexual. Short gays or gangsters are just wrong.

The point is, life is not short like some think it is.

It’s very long and you don’t want to be stuck with a man with a limited view of the world.
 etho
Msg: 371
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2008 1:58:34 AM
i prefer shorter women so when we spoon IT is comfortable and my face isnt pressed on her back, my only peeve about tall women, but i still love you all!
 nmcmill2001
Msg: 372
Posted: 12/2/2008 10:19:38 AM
Tom Cruise is short and look how far it got him so I don't think height is an issue to men or women. Women are not that shallow that a guy has to be a certain height.....No (sarcasm)
 Sirens Call
Msg: 373
Posted: 12/2/2008 12:24:25 PM
Alright, alright. You've talked me into it.

Have Tom give me a call.
 powerinfused916
Msg: 374
Posted: 12/5/2008 3:20:57 PM
I'm open. I tend to like Girls between 5'0 - 5'3. Just my preference for some reason.

I'm 6'1.
 S320
Msg: 375
MIT study on height-Dollars Per Inch.....
Posted: 12/7/2008 10:16:27 PM
Here is something of interest...

http://derekrose.com/wp/?p=989

The MIT document which covers a lot of things on Online-Dating plus height. fascinating document.

Note: It's a 1Meg PDF document

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/Papers.cfm?abstract_id=895442

Enjoy,

~S...
Show ALL Forums  > California  > Is Height an issue to Men?