Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > Vasectomy      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TruckMan123
Msg: 6
VasectomyPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I think I have decided not to do it. After reading some opinions here and reading about what it takes to have it reversed and also the cost. It is cheap and fast to do but reversal is expensive and has a small risk of not working. I was thinking a lot of men got vasectomys and later had them reversed.

I think I will go to the local adult toy store and invest in one of those realistic puzzys lol. My sex life is already about non existent with my current gf but that is another issue lol.
 TruckMan123
Msg: 7
Vasectomy
Posted: 3/19/2007 7:24:06 AM
^^^ Our sex life used to be awesome. If we had sex less than 2 times in a day when we were together then there was something wrong. I am lucky now to get it once or twice a week and usually it is selfish sex where she gets what she wants but doesnt want to put much effort into it.

But a relationship isnt all about sex and I figure I will find other alternatives and that does not include cheating. If I feel the urge to cheat then I need to leave. But the good news is that a toy is there at all times and will never say no lol.
 a_sweet_fishy
Msg: 8
Vasectomy
Posted: 3/19/2007 7:25:28 AM
If there is a chance you will want kids in the future most docs won't even consider doing one. My husband and I actually had to beg for his when he was 26, we had three children (only one is his biologically but he adopted the other 2) because they said he was awfully young to make such a decision. They finally did it and I got to watch. There is no way it could be anything but effective!
 a_sweet_fishy
Msg: 9
Vasectomy
Posted: 3/21/2007 11:38:14 AM
Yes, but that is why you can always have DNA testing done if one does fail. LOL...yeah, I suppose so, not sure if that is a normal practice or not (the wife watching) but we are a military family (done on base with a military doc) and knew the doc really well too.......I got to hold his hand through the entire thing. :)
 1desertdog
Msg: 10
Vasectomy
Posted: 3/21/2007 8:27:25 PM
If you want kids wait, I've been snipped, And no my balls didn't swell up like grapfruit.
 that sam i am
Msg: 11
Vasectomy
Posted: 3/30/2007 11:38:25 AM
nevermind about insurance. the cost of a vasectomy is generally less than one or two months of child support.
 shinjorai
Msg: 12
Vasectomy
Posted: 3/30/2007 11:46:17 AM

I dont plan on having children at all for at least 5 more years and I really enjoy sex but I still get nervouse about condoms breaking or other birth control failing. I am thinking about doing a vasectomy because I have read insurance covers it. But I want to know how effective is a vasectomy? Also I want to know about what it costs, and also how effective is reversal?

Ive got a vasectomy because i have two kids already and didnt want anymore. what somebody mentioned about not counting on the reversability of it is true. I didnt even realize it was reversable. Not that i plan on getting that done anyways but, if i was you and you havent had kids just wait, i know sex without condoms is great but its not worth the chance you may make it where you can never have kids and trust me i know a lot of people out there wanting to have kids that arent able and theyre miserable because of it. They end up going through a bunch of red tape to adopt and the list goes on and on. I feel your pain on the condom thing though i hate those myself. But seriously skip the vasectomy for now until you have kids then look into it later. You dont realize it now but later on youll be glad you didnt get one until AFTER the kids. Either way man good luck to you.

Kornbred
 8shooter1
Msg: 13
Vasectomy
Posted: 3/30/2007 11:59:57 AM
Skip the Vasectomy ! Too young for that. Just roll her over and use the back door till your ready to have children. ( She won't Mind!)
 TR421
Msg: 14
Vasectomy
Posted: 3/30/2007 12:30:57 PM
They are very effective! I only wish I had gotten mine earlier!
 Realityissubjective
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Vasectomy
Posted: 3/30/2007 12:59:19 PM
Didnt see any mention of Sperm Bank donations. Is that a possiblity, cuz Im not sure how that works?
I been shooting blanks for over 10 years... No physical side effects to date.
 Liljoe
Msg: 17
Vasectomy
Posted: 4/4/2009 2:49:33 PM
check out this site..this dr is in fla.... might give you some ideas..
www.vasweb.com
 White_Scorpion
Msg: 18
Vasectomy
Posted: 4/11/2009 9:48:39 AM
I plan on having one done imminently. My urologist was very upfront and honest with me about it. He has been doing vasectomies for more than 20 years. He said he would have one or two failures per year in the past and that many possible techniques used resulted in unnecessary complications. If you do a little background research, you will find that complications are much more common than people have been led to believe, although they are rarely if ever serious (some are chronic though like PVPS).

I think a big key to the success rate of the operation has to do with the surgeon and specifically whether or not fascial interposition is used. I have also seen studies showing cautery to be very effective although my urologist noticed some recanalization after cauterizing both ends and more importantly noticed an increased rate of complications. The procedure that I have scheduled will be a basic open vasectomy with fascial interposition. Seems like that will do what is possible to minimize complications while maximizing the chance of success.

Though you may reach azoospermia after 20 ejaculations or so, many strongly suggest not relying on vasectomy as a sole means of birth control until at least 6 months have gone by. Recanalization is most likely to happen within the first year. After that, I feel it is pretty rare. I also plan to purchase the FDA approved Spermcheck product that allows me to test at home for added comfort and reliability. It costs less than $50 shipped and has options for fertility, contraception and vasectomy (basically differences in calibration). When things reattach, they usually show sperm count. Little to no sperm count means very little chance of pregnancy.

In a way, a vasectomy can be thought of similar to many other forms of BC. When performed properly and when the patient takes appropriate action to ensure sterility, the procedure is fairly effective. Go at it haphazardly and you get complications and poor results.

If there is any interest, I can provide more info once I actually have the procedure done next week. I should get the Spermcheck device within two weeks time. Wish I had known about that device earlier.
 spjohn
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Vasectomy
Posted: 4/11/2009 11:43:03 AM
That's what happen to me years ago . I had the vasectomy done at the doctors office ,he told me to go home and put ice on the area and take it easy. I didn't listen to his advice and my balls swelled up and turned black. Wish I would have taken his advice.
 socialanxiety
Msg: 21
Vasectomy
Posted: 4/11/2009 9:37:35 PM
MY SON WAS CONCIEVED AFTER HIS FATHER HAD A VASECTOMY 10 YEARS AFTER HE HAD ONE. NOTHING IS 100%. GOOD LUCK
 hroark2112
Msg: 22
Vasectomy
Posted: 4/11/2009 10:06:17 PM
Dr. Stein was the doctor who did mine 8 years ago. 2 uncomfortable nights and then I was fine, got the procedure done on Friday afternoon and was 'testing the plumbing' on Sunday night. He's a nice guy, made it as painless as possible.

Best $253 I ever spent!!!
 Puppydog54
Msg: 24
Vasectomy
Posted: 4/12/2009 8:30:24 AM
I had it done about 15 years ago. The surgery is simple... a little uncomfortable for afew days but no major pain.

However, I would never recommend having it done INTENDING to have it reversed. Vasectomies are always meant to be permanent. While reversals are sometimes successful, there is a strong likelihood they will not be.

Additionally, while insurance will usually pay for the vasectomy I don't believe reversal is covered.
 TOMic bomb
Msg: 26
Vasectomy
Posted: 4/14/2009 8:02:18 PM
it was a good decision for me to have a vasectomy in my 20's. that was 35 years ago.

but there are times when i wish i had a family. maybe a little girl to spoil and a little boy to play catch with. but it has been 100% successful for me.
 officialpartygirl
Msg: 27
Vasectomy
Posted: 4/14/2009 10:01:01 PM
put your sperm in a sperm bank or whatever and get the procedure done.
i think that's what guys need to do anyways so theyll stop complaining about how horrible condoms are
 newblue1970
Msg: 28
Vasectomy
Posted: 4/15/2009 5:24:05 AM
If you never EVER want to have more kids, then getting snipped is the best thing to do. But I would never do it with the expectation of reversing it later to have a family. The reverse procedure (most likely) would not be covered by insurance, and its a crapshoot that it'll work. Better to be 100% sure and believe its permanent than to count on it being reversable.

put your sperm in a sperm bank or whatever and get the procedure done

And freezing sperm as your road to a family is hardly a good suggestion. Frozen are never as viable as fresh and now you're talking about a medical procedure (probably including very expensive fertility drugs and needles) to attempt to get pregnant.

If you ever want to have kids, just talk with your partner about other means of BC, there's lots of options.
 White_Scorpion
Msg: 29
Done!
Posted: 4/15/2009 3:21:30 PM
I just had the procedure done approximately one hour ago!

The doctor performed an open vasectomy with fascial interposition.
 Honcho
Msg: 30
Vasectomy
Posted: 4/28/2009 4:49:21 PM
Had a vasectomy years ago after Doc told me the next pregnancy would likely kill my wife. They cut your testicle sack, after giving a shot to kill any pain of course, and lift the snow white tubes, tie them in two places and cut between the ties, then sew the sack back up and tell you to take it easy for a few days. The ends of the stitches can sometimes be a little irritating, but I was up and about in a couple of days, just didn't lift anything for a while. You see I raised my head and watched. Sweat beaded out on my brow and the doc said, "I'm not hurting you am I?" My reply was "No Doc, but be damned sure you don't let that scapel slip!" Psychologicly it is great. I called it "riding bareback" the next time I had sex. I had a great wife (since passed on) but one thing about it, your wife had better be the faithful type otherwise if she comes home pregnant, there might just be some slow walking and sad singing.
 PrinceEric
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Vasectomy
Posted: 5/9/2009 9:23:24 AM
In Canada, doctors will not perform “convenience vasectomies“. I had it done 5 years ago and had to fit specific criteria to be accepted.

The procedure is now scalpel-less and completely painless. Dr was talking hockey while he was working on me….took 5 minutes max.

Of course now, I ejaculate dust and bottle caps but I can live with that
 citizen soldier
Msg: 32
Vasectomy
Posted: 5/20/2009 8:06:36 PM
I am curious. How is this procedure done without a scalpel? I thought they had to cut you to do that.
 srb272007
Msg: 34
Vasectomy
Posted: 8/6/2009 10:27:00 PM
i'm with you read only i only made it through like 4 posts before i coudn't read anymore lol
 Vincent Alexander
Msg: 35
Vasectomy
Posted: 8/25/2009 7:55:10 PM
Kids are over rated. Go get the snip snip. You'll be much happier you did. Last thing you want is that phone call, or a court summons.
Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  > Vasectomy