Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Wally-Mart SUX[Thread Closed/Bumped Thread No Clear OT]      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 oddandy
Msg: 376
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUXPage 16 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)

To top it all off, the company decided to raise the starting wage for cashiers to try to attract more to $12 dollars an hour (fairly average starting wage for Calgary for that line of work) ...

My point exactly. Wal Mart is just as competitive an employer as anywhere else offering a comparable job. When they can't keep employees, they raise pay.

They don't offer medical benefits? Neither does McDonalds. Where are the "boycott McDonalds" threads?
 Written by Hank
Msg: 377
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/18/2008 1:14:24 PM
My point exactly. Wal Mart is just as competitive an employer as anywhere else offering a comparable job. When they can't keep employees, they raise pay.

That is in Canada. Here in the US, the government skewers the labor market by issuing work visas to foreign workers and turning a blind eye on immigration laws to artificially keep wages low.

Also, these companies, whose owners stuff their pockets with cash off the sweat of their employees, should be forced to pay a living wage regardless of the labor pool.
 Super Ryan
Msg: 378
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/18/2008 1:38:12 PM

Also, these companies, whose owners stuff their pockets with cash off the sweat of their employees, should be forced to pay a living wage regardless of the labor pool.

The funny thing, $12/h is not a living wage in Calgary. McDanalds hires at $15/h, and Tim Hortons (Coffee and doughnuts) hires at $19/h.
In Calgary you are absolutely dreaming if you think anyone will work for less then $12/h.
Calgary is a very expensive city to live in. When I was there my rent went from $980/month, to $1250/month, and then to $1500/month all in a six month period.
Wal-Mart is not doing anyone any favours in Calgary. They raised the wage only because they needed employees. If the market changes, and wages drop in the city, I would bet all the $12/h employees will be terminated (most likely illegally).
 kissable0325
Msg: 379
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/18/2008 1:51:58 PM

Proves my point - Wal-Mart generates tremendous amounts of car traffic. When is the last time you saw a shopper walking home from Wal-Mart? Urban blight is EVERYONE's problem. Wal-Mart stores excellerate that process.

When was the last time you carried home $150.00 worth of groceries? Don't point any fingers until you look around and make sure you're not living in a glass house.
 tallskier
Msg: 380
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/18/2008 1:57:06 PM
Hmm.... better business ethics?

Do the "mom and pop" stores pay better?

Do the "mom and pop" stores have better benefits?

Do the "mom and pop" stores sell only goods made in places you approve of?

Actually, due to their small size, the "mom and pop" stores are exempt from amny regulations that do apply to Wal-Mart.

The "big, bad Wal-Mart" chat is getting old. We have a Wal-mart here, and have for years. Oddly enough, we have plenty of "mom and pop" stores, too. Imagine that! We have people who are smart enough not to try to beat Mal-Mart at Wal-Mart's game! There are a lot of things Wal-Mart does not sell, and these smart people sell those things! What a concept!

Wal-Mart exists for one reason - many people want to get the most for their money. I'll admit that I'm less than comfortable with all the stuff being made in China, but that's not Wal-Mart's fault.
 Super Ryan
Msg: 381
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/18/2008 1:58:03 PM

When was the last time you carried home $150.00 worth of groceries? Don't point any fingers until you look around and make sure you're not living in a glass house.

I ride city transit. When I go grocery shopping, I take it all on the bus. One of the reasons (and there are a few) I don't shop at Wal-Mart is because the nearest bus stop to the store is a 25 minute walk. The same stop is in front of a gocery store.
 oddandy
Msg: 382
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/18/2008 1:58:19 PM
That is in Canada. Here in the US, the government skewers the labor market by issuing work visas to foreign workers and turning a blind eye on immigration laws to artificially keep wages low.

So why is it Wal Mart and not the government that's the boogie man?

Should an unskilled high school kid earn enough to feed a family of 4? Here's the problem with the "living wage" thing....not all jobs are worth it. Working as a cashier at Wal Mart, like working the counter at McDonalds, is NOT a career, it's a job often done by high school kids and IMO it's beyond silly to expect "a living wage" from each and every job that exists.

They raised the wage only because they needed employees.

Isn't it amazing how that works? :wink:
 kissable0325
Msg: 383
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/18/2008 1:59:19 PM

I worked a wally - mart yes they Suck, the store mananger received a bonus of $125,000 for his Christmas bonus while I received $125 for my bonus no good insurance

You're so full of crap it's amazing you would even type this kind of lie in a public forum, where anyone with two working brain cells would know how full of crap you are.
 Written by Hank
Msg: 384
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/18/2008 2:01:38 PM
The funny thing, $12/h is not a living wage in Calgary.

Where I'm at, a one room heated studio is $800. A one bedroom is $1000. Most of the corporate companies pay $8 to $10 per hour. A single person can not afford an apartment, food and transportation. Many people must work two jobs to afford the basics (I'm lucky, I work for myself). Meanwhile a small percentage of people are getting very rich. If changes are not made, in time, most in the US will exist only to service the few rich. That is the future for people's children and grandchildren.

Added:

So why is it Wal Mart and not the government that's the boogie man?

In my opinion, both are equally corrupt.
 kissable0325
Msg: 385
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/18/2008 2:05:45 PM

They run Mom and Pop businesses out of town, businesses that have supplied communities with goods that are specific to the atmosphere of said communities, items that Wally World does not carry. I would love to be able to walk back into a hardware store in my town to purchase a rubber ring or a pressure valve for my pressure canner, but there are none, Wal-mart drove them out of business.

Wow! They run mom and pop out of business? For shame. Tell me something though. How come you still walk into a Lowes or Home Depot to do your hardware shopping? I hate to tell you this, being the socially conscious person that you are, but Home Depot and Lowes put more mom and pop hardware stores out of business than any Wal-Mart ever did. How come you still shop at those places? True Value is not much more than a name anymore because of Home Depot and Lowes and a few other large, chain hardware stores. But, for some reason, I don't see you whining like a two-year-old about them. Hmmmm?
 tallskier
Msg: 386
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/18/2008 3:00:19 PM
Actually, we have a few "mom and pop" hardware stores here, and they survive in the presence of Lowe's.

If one takes the time to think about it, it's easy to understand why.

I can get in and out of the "mom and pop" hardware store with the item I went for in less time than it takes me to walk into Lowe's from the parking lot! I might save a few cents at Lowe's, but it's not worth the time or the additional gas it takes to get there.

If I have a long shopping list, it might be worth it to go to Lowe's. I also might go there to buy something for which I know Lowe's has a much larger selection.

The free market at work! What a concept!
 Written by Hank
Msg: 387
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/18/2008 3:16:40 PM

Working as a cashier at Wal Mart, like working the counter at McDonalds, is NOT a career, it's a job often done by high school kids and IMO it's beyond silly to expect "a living wage" from each and every job that exists.

This is simply an excuse these corporations use to continue to pay substandard wages. When I was fifteen, I pumped gas at the local service station. I was paid the same wages as the forty year old that also worked there. He got by just fine on the pay. In comparison to the cost of living at the time, it was an acceptable wage. For a high-school kid like myself, it was a great wage. Although the owner of the station paid these high wages, he was also doing very well. All of use benefited instead of just the one, as it is now.

Also, a person's time has value. And, it is my understanding, from discussing this with people who do shop at these places, there are very few high-school kids working at them. I rarely see high-school kids working anywhere, any more. Perhaps that is typical of my location, through.

True Value

I buy everything at the local True Value on Main Street. It is locally owned and the employees have then there for years. They are paid well. The owner also does well.

whining like a two-year-old

Nothing of value added to the discussion with this comment.
 NeapTide
Msg: 388
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/18/2008 5:55:10 PM

When was the last time you carried home $150.00 worth of groceries?
I have never purchased $150 worth of groceries at one time - ever! What the heck - are you feeding packs of wolves? I do not have the income to spend $150 on groceries and I still manage to feed and cloth my family AND support my local community.

Why is this thread about Wal-Mart? Listen one more time and really please listen -they are the RICHEST corporation in the U.S. They made $12 billion in PROFIT alone last year. There is no reason IMO other than greed for them not to treat their employees better. If Wal-Mart continues with this predatory business scheme and we the people turn a blind eye to it and actually encourage it by shopping there when we could make other, healthier choices, what incentives do the other corporations have to do differently?

I do not shop at big box stores - be it a Lowes, Home Depot or a Wal-Mart - it is not a difficult choice for me because we still have a few independent businesses in my community. My money is small potatoes and I know that these Big Boxes are not missing it but I know that I am doing my part by not supporting this predatory behavior.
 arwen52
Msg: 389
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/18/2008 6:10:45 PM

I just heard from an old friend who we have not talked in a while. She had been employed with a large pet food company here in St. Louis for about a gazillion years and was laid off for some bullsh1t reason. Anyway, she informed me that she took on a cashier position at WalMart and absolutely LOVES the job, benefits, and hours...said she would not take her three times higher paying job, back for anything.

Get back with us in three years, if she lasts that long, and let's see if she still loves it.

My client's nephew started college last year and applied to his local WalMart for a part-time job. He could only work evenings and weekends, times most folks would rather not work, because of his school schedule. He was hired with the understanding that he would only be scheduled to work outside of school hours.

The third week he went into work and found that he'd been scheduled to work during his school hours. He went to the manager and pointed out that he could not work those hours and that he had been hired, by this same manager, with that understanding. The manager looked at him and said to him sternly, "Look, you're going to have to decide. Do you want to go to college or do you want to work at WalMart?" This guy was serious! He was not joking or being ironic. Of course, the kid quit.

I know from people who have worked at WalMart that the charges that they require employees to clock out and continue working unpaid hours are true. As I already pointed out, they *force* companies, even profitable ones, to move their operations to China or else they stop doing business with them. They keep employees underpaid and working part-time so they don't have to pay benefits and depend on state governments to pick up the tab for health care, food stamps, and ADC. In fact, one of my friends in California applied for a job at WalMart and they actually advised her where to go to apply for food stamps because they knew the job didn't pay enough to live on. Lest you think their employees could supplement by working part time elsewhere - how would you do that when your schedule changes every week and is completely unpredictable. Seventy percent of the items in WalMart are made in China. Next time you're complaining about the economy and lack of job security, remember that WalMart aggressively led the way to shifting jobs to China. Let's not even think about their complete lack of conscience regarding the environment or worker's rights. Like I said, you can read well-researched details in The WalMart Effect.

People don't want to know because if they did, they'd have to face up that they are contributing to unconscienable behavior by buying at WalMart. If the things WalMart supports were happening in front of their eyes - women being beaten by the jeans they are sewing, dead zones being created in ocean waters by overintensive salmon farming so you can have $6/lb. salmon - they'd have to confront that they themselves are the problem. Instead, it happens half a planet away to people who don't look like us anyway so it's easy to ignore.

All to save fifty cents or a buck or to have cheap salmon or jeans. Wow.
 riseaboveit
Msg: 390
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/18/2008 6:28:49 PM
[qoute] Grocery shopping at walmart eh? Sure, if you eat wonder bread and peanut butter sandwiches and kraft dinner. They don't have the things a grocery store has because they are not a grocery store

You havent looked around their groceries have you? I work in one of their distribution centers (very nice wages I might add) and they have things I dont even know what they are in the meat and produce section and I saw things on the dry side that I wouldnt have know about by just shopping (since I hate to shop)
 riseaboveit
Msg: 391
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/18/2008 6:47:45 PM

It is time we took back our country from the banks and the corporations. Pay off your credit cards, stop borrowing money pay off your house, keep your car as long as you can, pay for things cash and put the big guys out of business... hahahahahahah go independent, grow your own food.. organic... barter with neighbors... stop paying taxes into the corruption riddled government. We must get the private corporations like: The federal reserve, the irs, and the post office... back in the control of....WE THE PEOPLE... the government by the people, of the people and FOR the people... not the freaking banks, politicians and corporations.... and special interest groups with way too much money...

Yeah, that'll happen. We're too self absorbed and cheap and stupid to do THAT.

I'm just sayin.

You'll want a really funny read? Go to walmart-blows.com and read what the people that work for them think of you as a customer, etc.
 oc_jon1965
Msg: 392
Wallmart Gripe , again ? you REALLY NEED a girlfriend
Posted: 8/18/2008 7:09:50 PM
or a new hobby . .. .

or , just get a life in general

designingwoman
Msg: 393
view profile
History
Wallmart Gripe , again ? you REALLY NEED a girlfriend
Posted: 8/18/2008 8:20:27 PM
The made in China (unprintable) that Wal Mart sells, IS Wal Mart's fault! And Wal Mart is one of the guilty parties for encouraging, aiding and abetting the treason of outsourcing to Communist dictatorships when we should be keeping our jobs at home, or at the very least supporting democratic nations.
 Jiperly
Msg: 394
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/18/2008 11:07:22 PM
>>>they are the RICHEST corporation in the U.S.

Listen one more time, and really please listen; You cannot claim to be fighting for justice by either singling out a business out or punishing a single company for the environmental and social damages their entire industry creates. That's the opposite of justice.

There's room for argument if you're arguing that all businesses must treat their employees better- but instead you're arguing that Walmart and Walmart alone must treat their employees better, with the idea that, for some reason, other businesses will follow- instead, you will discourage further ventures , since other businesses will see that certain people in Government believe you should be punished if you do not believe and perpetuate YOUR politics, not theirs, and cause a successful big box store to join their failing brethren, like Kmart and Sears, in struggling to succeed. Actions like these will only encourage more urban blight

Its not that Walmart treats their employees awfully- millions of companies, weither their in Fortune 500 or a Hot Dog stand in downtown, treat their employees awfully- no, the issue is Walmart treats their employees poorly, and is successful. So its a combination of entitlement(you believe that the Walmart employees are entitled to more money because their business is successful- its not that all employees deserve living wage, but that Walmart doesn't deserve its money) and punishment(you disagree with Walmart's business practices and plans,and thus have no issue with demanding they pay tithes for their sins.
 georgiabulldogfan
Msg: 395
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/19/2008 1:18:56 AM
I'm all for free market in america, the only reason wal-mart is so successful is because of capitalism. The only way to bring wal-mart to pay better, better wages, all products made in america is to turn america into communism. I rather see a wal-mart successful despite poor pay and bad benefits and keep government out of it than have govenment step in and mandate a standard to go by. There really isn't but 2 or 3 choices at best here and way people are talkin here is we need to bring down the big giant and the only way I see this happening is communism and that's something americans don't need. Let wal-mart be wal-mart and enjoy low prices it has to offer. If you don't like the work ethcis at wal-mart don't shop there! don't work there! don't even apply there! if people are not willing to work there then wal-mart would either pay more or shut down.
 Written by Hank
Msg: 396
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/19/2008 7:40:44 AM

I'm all for free market in america, the only reason wal-mart is so successful is because of capitalism. The only way to bring wal-mart to pay better, better wages, all products made in america is to turn america into communism. I rather see a wal-mart successful despite poor pay and bad benefits and keep government out of it than have govenment step in and mandate a standard to go by.

And your children and grandchildren will be cursing your name because with this belief, you lead them down the road to a life of servitude to the rich.

People don't understand that Capitalism, left on its own, does not work.. In the end, one person, not through hard work, but mostly by luck in circumstance, will have it all. It absolutely must be regulated by some sort of referee (the government).

Because the government favors the rich, the game of capitalism isn't even that, anymore - not a fair game. The rules of the capitalism game have been rewritten and the rich get every advantage. The average guy barely has a chance now. And with so many people believing as you do, the average guy's children and grandchildren will have no chance at all.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 397
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/19/2008 8:08:49 AM

Get back with us in three years, if she lasts that long, and let's see if she still loves it.

I will get right on that and put a reminder in my Works calendar! LOL Actually, her daughter has worked there since I have known them...about...six years. And her son in law...tis where the two met and then married. (They just bought a house too...so their duo WalMart wages from working there long term, must be sufficient for them!)

Regarding your clients nephew and the scheduling conflict...this happens EVERYWHERE and is a result of poor management skills, not WalMart exclusive. My daughter took a part time job at Kohls and was told that they would gladly work around her college and softball schedule, only to have the same thing occur, that you wrote about. It's more about the management screwing up, and taking it out on their employees than ethics or method.
 Super Ryan
Msg: 398
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/19/2008 9:50:18 AM

People don't understand that Capitalism, left on its own, does not work.. In the end, one person, not through hard work, but mostly by luck in circumstance, will have it all. It absolutely must be regulated by some sort of referee (the government).

I don't think it will be luck. It will be greed and deception. Capitalism left on its own is called lassez-faire capitalism, and it gave us the Enron fiasco, the mortgage crisis, and the unnatural rise in the price of oil in the past year. None of those events would have happened with a responsible government looking out for the economy and the common man.

Regarding your clients nephew and the scheduling conflict...this happens EVERYWHERE and is a result of poor management skills, not WalMart exclusive.

It's true. I used to work foe Safeway (unionized, but a corrupt union), when I was hired, in my interview I informed a manager that in about 9 months I would need a week off to go to my grandmother's 100th birthday party on the other side of the country. When it was about a month away I reminded the same shift manager, he told me it had to go to the warehouse manager. He told me that he could not give a junior employee time off in the summer. I told him it was agreed upon in my hiring, he said he did'nt care. I told him straight out "I am going to my grandmothers birthday with or without your approval". He changed his tune when I said that a responded "Well I would never deny any one the right to go to their grandmothers 100th birthday", I reminded him he just tried to. News in a warehouse travels fast. After his defeat he lost the respect of almost all the staff. And a year later Safeway canned him, and gave his job to the shift manager that originally approved the time off. This all happened in Calgary where employees are considered rare and should be held onto.
So no Wal-Mart does not hold a patent on bad management.
And it is true many companies have bad faith business practices. But Wal-Mart is so big, and drives off so much compitition, that people can't help but use them as the example of what is wrong with the current route captalism is taking.
 oddandy
Msg: 399
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/19/2008 10:23:12 AM

Working as a cashier at Wal Mart, like working the counter at McDonalds, is NOT a career, it's a job often done by high school kids and IMO it's beyond silly to expect "a living wage" from each and every job that exists.

This is simply an excuse these corporations use to continue to pay substandard wages.

LOL it's not an excuse it's common sense. An unskilled, uneducated laborer is NOT worth the same salary as someone with a college degree or trade certification, for example.

When I was fifteen, I pumped gas at the local service station. I was paid the same wages as the forty year old that also worked there. He got by just fine on the pay. In comparison to the cost of living at the time, it was an acceptable wage. For a high-school kid like myself, it was a great wage.

That's pretty amazing to me, being only 32 years old I've never seen such things. It's just not the reality anymore, and we can decry it all we like, but I don't see it as an injustice. Any job an unskilled kid can do is not worth paying out a "living wage," IMO. Why in the world would anybody bother going to college or learning a trade if we could all feed a family of 4 pumping gas or flipping burgers? Anyone with a family to support can/should look into learning a trade or otherwise making themselves more valuable in the job market, IMO. I personally think it's irresponsible to have a family if you have no meaningful work skills with which to provide for them.

Also, a person's time has value. And, it is my understanding, from discussing this with people who do shop at these places, there are very few high-school kids working at them. I rarely see high-school kids working anywhere, any more. Perhaps that is typical of my location, through.

It must vary by area. In my neck of the woods it's almost always kids at the fast food joints in grocery stores/ Wal Marts. As far as the value of a person's time, that's both subjective AND market-based. We all think our time is more valuable than someone is going to pay us for...the question becomes what is my time worth to an employer compared to the next guy? I believe that the person with more education/experience/etc is going to be viewed as more valuable than other applicants.
 Written by Hank
Msg: 400
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/19/2008 12:14:14 PM
I believe that the person with more education/experience/etc is going to be viewed as more valuable than other applicants.

And I agree.

Any job an unskilled kid can do is not worth paying out a "living wage," IMO. Why in the world would anybody bother going to college or learning a trade if we could all feed a family of 4 pumping gas or flipping burgers?

I'm not talking about a family of four. I believe, however, every job should pay a wage high enough that a single individual should be able to house them self, feed them self, cloth them self and tend to their health. Nothing says they need to make enough to live in the Taj Mahal and eat lobster every day; but just the basic to stay alive and not have to work three jobs to do it while the rich live a life of luxury off poorly paid worker's labor and time. And as far as time is concerned: each person is allocated only so much in life. Every minute of it has value.

No job at any for-profit business is unworthy enough to be labeled a job only fit for "an unskilled kid." Mowing the neighbor's lawn, shoveling their walks, raking leaves - these were the types of jobs made available to kids to teach them the value of working to support themselves. The neighbor is not running a company and not trying to make a profile. If, on the other hand, that neighbor hired your kid to mow other people's lawns and took a cut of the kid's pay, that becomes a business run for profit and now the kid should be paid accordingly.
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Wally-Mart SUX[Thread Closed/Bumped Thread No Clear OT]