Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Wally-Mart SUX[Thread Closed/Bumped Thread No Clear OT]      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 eccentric
Msg: 51
Wally-Mart SUXPage 3 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
try Hayes sorry, my bad

I couldn't find thier website but I got the address from yahoo

in valley center, ks
 eccentric
Msg: 52
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/20/2005 11:44:08 AM
Hayes Co Incorporated
(316) 337-7600

Address:

7700 Hayes Dr
Valley Center, KS 67147

Category Types:
Wood Products Manufacturers, Woodworking Machinery, Lawn and Garden Machinery, Pallet Manufacturers
 Frrosty
Msg: 53
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/20/2005 11:53:40 AM
^ agreed.

Keep em part time so the insurances and government mandatories are all low or nil.

gross
 SLurpee
Msg: 54
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/20/2005 12:30:32 PM
The worst part of the Trade with China is that the guys that everyone is doing business with are like the Enron guys but 10 times worse. And over there, the government will protect them and enforce thier interests with force.
 DRAKARR
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/20/2005 1:22:58 PM
Well Im here to tell you that Wal Mart is just proof that one man can start with nothing and build it into a worldwide billion dollar company ! And it seems that when someone does something like that, we have jealous people like yourself putting the store down. Now if you owned Wal Mart would you feel the same as you do now ? I worked at Wal Mart in management for about 2 years and im here to tell you that if you do some reading on the company, you would be amazed at what Sam Walton started with and was able to build into an empire. I think that is what america is based on. Free enterprise. I have known and met some employees who had Wal Mart stocks which have went up and split a few times and these employees, some of which have over 1 million dollars worht of stock to retire on. Not bad for a hourly Wal Mart employee. So think about these things.
 BulldogMedic
Msg: 56
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/20/2005 1:55:17 PM
Maybe Erik will be kind enough to let people know how much of their money they should give to charity in the future. I feel like he's running for office as a democrat! Hold on, buddy! Gotta be elected before you spend other peoples money!
 Frrosty
Msg: 57
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/20/2005 3:05:35 PM

- receiving millions of dollars in tax breaks
...by bringing billions of dollars of tax revenue into the municipalities where they operate.

The tax base was there already. I thought, and was prettyb sure that, Walmart got tax exempt for their first x number of years, thus, allocating those years worth of taxes PREVIOUSLYcollected from people living in the community, and who would have spent there tax dollars there either way...*cough* *cough* ....on more expensive items (thus more taxes)...

into the coffers of Walmart.

- working to undermine unions by paying union informants
...the manager who was accused of this was asked to resign after 27 years with the company. It has not been proven

It has also "not been proven" in the various other cases where the "manager was fired after so many years" in other locales i.e. Quebec.

- use of illegal alien labor and unsafe working conditions
...The illegal alien labor was performed by a CONTRACTOR. The contractor was terminated when Wal-Mart discovered what was happening

It is also my understanding that contractors will not be HIRED unless they tak ethe risk of being expsed for such, THUS, doing such in the first place.

1.5 million employees owe their livelihoods to Wal-Mart

NIce to see where many of these "livelihoods" stack up to the poverty line. A livelihood which allows you to go foodless for half a week is not much of alivelihood.

I suppose that we are all just speculating though.

*yawn*

I could bring sources from the net and news etc etc etc but, of course, they are just speculating too until an official body proves and signs off on said speculation...no?

*shrugs n goes back to his spaghetti*
 berrysweetncgurl
Msg: 58
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/20/2005 11:05:45 PM
you know whats really amazing?
that a Wal-Mart thread has gotten this many replies
 mystlw
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/18/2006 12:46:51 AM
Wal-Mart is evil. I never go there.

UFCW is a greater evil. As long as Walmart continues to resist unionization, I will continue to shop there.

I make it a point to shop when the union is picketing.
 mystlw
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/20/2006 3:04:38 PM

Union-busting is what's part of the problem.

No, corrupt "company" unions that protect longer-term employees at the expense of the newer hires are part of the problem. Unions that would allow an assistant manager (notice the word "manager") to cast a vote for his father-in-law as union president, and later be rewarded with his own store, are part of the problem. Unions that let members ratify a contract that's not even finished yet are part of the problem. Abuse of power, politics, and obsolescence are part of the problem.

Union-busting is the result.
 rks58
Msg: 61
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/20/2006 3:59:19 PM

No, corrupt "company" unions that protect longer-term employees at the expense of the newer hires are part of the problem. Unions that would allow an assistant manager (notice the word "manager") to cast a vote for his father-in-law as union president, and later be rewarded with his own store, are part of the problem. Unions that let members ratify a contract that's not even finished yet are part of the problem. Abuse of power, politics, and obsolescence are part of the problem.

Sounds to me like someone, or a member of their family, didn't get the job/promotion they thought they 'deserved'. That's a lot of bitterness to be directing at a group of people who just want to level the playing field by banding together for strength in numbers.
 Wildcard74
Msg: 62
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/20/2006 4:29:16 PM
I shop at walmart frequently. They are a great deal cheaper than the regular supermarkets around here. To me and millions of others, Walmart is a godsend. The cost of living is going up, the cost of gas is going up, and its all quicker than my salary is going up. So, yes, Shopping at walmart makes perfect sense.

And don't you dare call me a Republican.....
 rks58
Msg: 63
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/20/2006 5:08:43 PM

I don't understand this; what jobs are being exported?

If you're referring to all the junk that Wal-Mart sells that's also made in China, Korea, another other similar countries, then you may be mistaken. Wal-Mart is a retailer, not a manufacturer. Wal-Mart buys their merchandise for resale, and every other retailer does the same thing.

The theory works like this: In order for a retailer to offer the lowest prices they generally buy from the lowest priced manufacturer/wholesaler. If (as a manufacturer) I have to charge more, because of wages/benefits/taxes/employment standards/etc, for goods I make entirely in the U.S. the retailer won't buy from me because the imported goods are less expensive. In order to stay in business I have to move my manufacturing to a country that has lower wages/benefits/taxes/employment standards/etc. That means I have to fire all my American workers or convince them to relocate to the other country with the lower standard of living (not many would want to do this for obvious reasons). This creates higher unemployment, lowers the domestic standard of living and all else that goes with not having enough jobs for the size of the available workforce. Hence the domestic jobs have been effectively 'exported'.

But I'm guessing you already knew this.
 mystlw
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/20/2006 5:55:29 PM

Sounds to me like someone, or a member of their family, didn't get the job/promotion they thought they 'deserved'.

Nope. Just someone who worked for a grocery chain that forces its members to join a union that they have no faith in. I had no aspirations of working my way up the chain, as it wasn't the sort of company I had any desire to stay with; merely a job to get me by at that time.

That's a lot of bitterness to be directing at a group of people who just want to level the playing field by banding together for strength in numbers.

Are you high?!?
1) Long-term members continually ratify contracts that allow them to maintain their benefits and higher wage tier, while permitting new hires to be brought in at minimum wage (in my state, that's $4.25 an hour).
2) The union requires that those new hires, while making minimum wage, are last in line for any overtime available; those hours go first to employees who make $15-$20 per overtime hour.
3) The grocery chain that I used to work for has recently mandated that all new hires must work 6 days to get their 40 hours. No one who needs two days off a week will be able to work full-time. All with the blessing of the UFCW.
4) I don't know about where you live, but here it's nearly impossible to find a grocery chain that has baggers anymore. Those positions have been eliminated, and they've been replaced with baggage carousels, so that the cashiers' duties have been expanded to include bagging groceries while their rate of pay has remained the same.

That's not "strength in numbers", or "banding together". That's an us-against-them mentality; "As long as I get mine, screw you!"

And, btw, since when is permitting members of management to vote at union meetings considered "levelling the playing field"??
 WillB
Msg: 65
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/20/2006 6:13:46 PM
Here is a better alternative to Walmart

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costco
 rks58
Msg: 66
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/20/2006 6:36:02 PM
1) Long-term members continually ratify contracts that allow them to maintain their benefits and higher wage tier, while permitting new hires to be brought in at minimum wage (in my state, that's $4.25 an hour).

This is not a failing of the union. It is an 'industry standard' practice in service industry jobs on both sides of the border because of the high turn-over rate in new hires. Management usually insists on it as a 'make or break' negotiating point.

3) The grocery chain that I used to work for has recently mandated that all new hires must work 6 days to get their 40 hours. No one who needs two days off a week will be able to work full-time. All with the blessing of the UFCW.

This is not something that is generally under the control of the union. Every state or province I have worked in has a clause in their employment standards laws that states it is the management's right to set hours of work.

4) I don't know about where you live, but here it's nearly impossible to find a grocery chain that has baggers anymore. Those positions have been eliminated, and they've been replaced with baggage carousels, so that the cashiers' duties have been expanded to include bagging groceries while their rate of pay has remained the same.

This too is an industry standard practice on both sides of the border. Again, every place I have worked has laws that allow the employer to permanently eliminate an entire job class. Often the only thing a union can negotiate about this what the eliminated workers are entitled to (e.g. transfer to another job class, amount of severence or notice to be given). It is also common that employers have the right to determine job descriptions.

2) The union requires that those new hires, while making minimum wage, are last in line for any overtime available; those hours go first to employees who make $15-$20 per overtime hour.

This is quite common. It is done as a 'perk' for longevity/employee loyalty (kind of like management expense accounts). It is understandable that new hires don't like this since they are the lowest paid but most employers will adamantly refuse to provide loyalty/longevity bonuses. It kind of sucks but you do deserve something for staying year upon year since the employer benefits directly from the greater experience.

And, btw, since when is permitting members of management to vote at union meetings considered "levelling the playing field"??

That depends on the representation clause of the contract. I have been in many places where managers up to a certain level are also union members.

The long and the short of it is that it is easy for a company with big bucks to intimidate or control individual employees one-on-one or in small groups. It is much harder when you have to try do that with a large group who can combine resources. That is how the playing field gets leveled.
 rks58
Msg: 67
Wal-Mart sucks
Posted: 4/20/2006 7:35:35 PM

This practice is only possible because consumers, in general, buy the lower cost merchandise from manufacturers in China and other cheap labor countries. I don't see how Wal-Mart is directly responsible for this -- rather, I think the consumers are. When there's a Wal-Mart available, consumers buy their cheap crap at Wal-Mart. In areas where no Wal-Mart or other large retailer exists, people still buy the same cheap crap made in China, they just get it from a different retailer. The fact that Wal-Mart makes it easier for consumers to buy the crap doesn't make them responsible for consumers buying it, it's the collective will of consumers who are willing to buy merchandise from China that causes the jobs to be lost domestically.

This is true, to a point. The problem is when 'big box' retailers will only stock the cheap crap you don't have much choice do you unless your willing to go back to a pre- or early industrial era standard of living where you didn't have all this stuff. This, however, isn't the whole issue with Wal-Mart as a corporation. The other part of the equation is that Wal-Mart's employment practices are attempting dragging employment standards on this continent down to the same level as those in places like China and their business practices do the same to the economies/standard of living in the communities where they establish themselves.
 mystlw
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Wal-Mart sucks
Posted: 4/20/2006 8:35:27 PM

Here is a better alternative to Walmart

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costco

Right. Do a websearch for Costco and its repugnant abuses of Eminent Domain. Stealing personal property for a freeway is one thing, doing it to erect yet another super-discount store is another entirely.

Dont tell me they dont need a union.

I, personally, did not say that they don't need a union; they do. But they don't need the UFCW.
 lovableladywanted
Msg: 69
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/11/2007 11:49:35 PM
With the help of local govts. Wallymart has no respect for peoples private property ownership and has forced people to sell their homes to them for whatever price. Eminent domain should only be used to build roads and police stations and schools etc. Greedy local govt do not care about their townspeople. Its very sad and usually its the minorities that have gotten screwed.
 betterlate
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX Yeah and TArget is French owned
Posted: 4/12/2007 12:12:58 AM
France, the country that just loves us, owns Target, Bic Pens, and thousands of othe companies... Loreal, Six pages worth... of companies that work hard to look American. Remember 911? France would not stand with the USA, so people started researching all of the companies that are french owned... They sit over there and laugh, what else can we sell those stupid Americans, we have them drinking our water.. and paying more for it than GAS... I dont shop at Target, they suck, I would rather go without.

It is time we took back our country from the banks and the corporations. Pay off your credit cards, stop borrowing money pay off your house, keep your car as long as you can, pay for things cash and put the big guys out of business... hahahahahahah go independent, grow your own food.. organic... barter with neighbors... stop paying taxes into the corruption riddled government. We must get the private corporations like: The federal reserve, the irs, and the post office... back in the control of....WE THE PEOPLE... the government by the people, of the people and FOR the people... not the freaking banks, politicians and corporations.... and special interest groups with way too much money...

Just a thought..
 lovableladywanted
Msg: 71
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/12/2007 12:27:25 AM
betterlate france was smarter than us they knew there were no weapons and they dont have blood on their hands for this illegal war that big corps like wallymart profit from .
 Cutepid
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/12/2007 1:37:54 AM
I worked at walmarts for almost 20 years, about three dozen different stores, and honestly there is good and bad. First of all..vendors..they will pressure the vendors in bidding auctions to get the lowest price..if that means that another country gets the goods..so be it..they are interested in the lowest price..we are talking cents here sometimes..but that is enough for an American company not able to match it..and look at how much they export from china..
http://www.aflcio.org/corporatewatch/walmart/walmart_5.cfm

"Wal-Mart’s biggest trading partner is China. The world’s largest retailer admits it bought some ____$18 billion____ in merchandise in 2004, from China, nearly 10 percent of all Chinese goods sold in this country that year. Through August 2005, the United States was running a $126 billion trade deficit with China."
"More than 70 per cent of the products sold at Wal-Mart are made in China, according to the China Business Weekly."

It puts vendors in a predicament..or in some cases a prepicklement
http://www.aflcio.org/corporatewatch/walmart/walmart_5.cfm

Now please SOMEBODY ask Lee Scott this question...since when the hell is 28 hours considered a "full time" job..what happened to a 40 hour work week..they do that so they can cut hours according to sales...walmart states it has over a million employees..well do some research and find out..just how many are full time..and I am not taking about assistant managers or such..I am talking about real people..on the floor..on the registers..

How do they save money?..pinching not pennyhere or there..but every penny..
example...they base your vacation time on hours worked....all year..so if you worked 32 hours a week..but missed a couple of days...you might get less then a weeks pay..like 29.7
So you cut back on hours during the year at certain times..thats no big deal right?
Most people in walmarts are working two jobs..just to meet poverty level.
cut back 8 hours every week..whats that add up to..almost a full week of pay..not so minor now is it?

And don't think for an instance walmart has not watched closely the reaction to home depots fiasco splashed over the media recently and also circuit citys firing of all their top sales managers (told to come back in 10 weeks at a lower pay)....if they think they can get away with that also..they will do it..

health insurance...
some people are paying a $150 deductable..some even more..$300...$500..and then..after that..you still pay 30%...

bottom line is walmart has gotten so powerful now (see its attempt to enter the banking community) its not only demanding what they will pay for goods..and workers..in the end its going to collapse..and then where we all of us be....and walmart stock reflects that..when's the last time you saw it above $70..YEARS AGO

so think carefully my friends about where and why you shop at a certian place
 sillygoose
Msg: 73
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/12/2007 5:29:38 AM
Well I buy my gas at a local station, my grocery's at a small local market, but I do buy alot of stuff a Walmart also. I am not for the small guy, nor for the big guy. I am for all of those little hungry kids in the world. The ones that think they are in heaven if they get a rare candy bar. And the poor elders that has to budget thier SSI income just so they have enough money left over to buy thier medicine at the end of the month. Now that being said. Yes they should shop at Walmart if they can save a few more cents to add on to thier Electric bill or heating bill. More important things in the world to think about then whether or not I should get my laundry detergent at Walmart or down the road at a smaller store.
 knoxman
Msg: 74
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/12/2007 11:19:24 AM
Simple-If you don't like Wal-Mart, here's a novel idea-STAY THE HELL AWAY!!! I've shopped there for years-NEVER had a problem of any kind there. When you're the biggest around, you're always gonna have your critics. So employees have to pay for health insurance. Well, news flash-WHO DOSEN'T? Insurance costs are going up daily,and the cost is being put on the employee,no matter where you're employed. And what about Curcuit City's big plan(scheme) to "let go" employees, then offer them their old jobs back-at a MUCH lower rate of pay. Why's no one outraged by this? Because they're too busy whining about Wal-Mart. I've known quite a few Wal-Mart employees, and they're all happy with their jobs. At one location here in Knoxville,TN, there's a Wal-Mart and a Target across the street from each other. Guess which one is always packed with customers(hint-it ain't Target), and which one looks like it's closed all the time. Final question-why do people who constantly whine about Wal-Mart always end up shopping there?
 countrycanuck85
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/13/2007 4:53:09 PM

Sorry, not going to go buy something more expensive just because they offend people or whatever. I have no clue what they have supposedly done. Only thing I know is that they are cheaper than every other store which means I can actually afford to buy things I wouldn't be able to otherwise.

Show me a store that offers the same merchandise at the same price or lower and I will never shop at Walmart again.

Exactly. Plus, that doesn't even mention the simple convenience of it all. Who, in their right mind, likes going to 8 different little stores, when they could save all that time, money, and gas to just go one place? People are complaining about exhaust and carbon monoxide polluting the air, so doesn't it just make sense to go to ONE place to do 95% of your shopping? If they're using little Mexican kids to make the items I buy, then so be it. By choosing to shop somewhere else, I'm only costing myself more money, and it still doesn't help those kids (who should be lucky to have a job at all in that kind of economy).
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Wally-Mart SUX[Thread Closed/Bumped Thread No Clear OT]