Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Wally-Mart SUX[Thread Closed/Bumped Thread No Clear OT]      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lovableladywanted
Msg: 76
Wally-Mart SUX Yeah and Target is French ownedPage 4 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
Charles Right on the money, the right wing spin on France is ridiculous and its great they have not contributed to the slaughter and maiming of iraqians and their own . Oh in relation to this thread lmao. I do not ,as I have stated ,see the connection between France and wally mart
 2findU
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/19/2007 5:44:35 AM
Unfortunately as far as products being made in China, it doesn't matter where you buy it from. Walmart's not the only store selling Chinese made products.
 mystlw
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/20/2007 2:34:53 PM

Have you seen the price of gas today? If you took that and the higher prices at the Big K-mart 30 minutes from this town people would be losing a lot of money shopping out of Wal-Mart. (this is a reflection on my hometown not where i live today).

It's not just your hometown, it's everywhere. For example, I belong to a few groups that make and donate baby blankets, chemo caps, lapghans, etc, to hospitals and charities; my favorite sports weight baby yarn costs $2.99 a skein at Wal-mart, but at the nearest craft store (which is 15 minutes further away) it's $3.99. I don't mean to sound uncharitable, but I can donate more items, and therefore help more people, buying my yarn at Wal-mart.
And, on a larger scale, it begs the question: how can the ever-dwindling middle-class be expected to spend 30% more than is necessary? Principles and rhetoric are fine and dandy, but they don't feed our families, do they?
 gentlyplease
Msg: 80
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/22/2007 8:24:46 PM
I'm with a lot here...I have to save money somewhere to pay bills...they just raised our energy bills a lot more than they said they would...I also have OTHER bills...sometimes I have to buy lunchmeat and bread and soup...cheaper than a lot of stuff...I work two jobs right now, and I don't have someone supporting me, so I have to do it myself. So if you want to go and pay higher prices at the local quick trip, be my guest. Maybe you can help me with my next energy bill??
 livefire
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 4/22/2007 8:44:32 PM
I for one do not like helmart at all, but I can't say that I never shop there. There are times(read maybe once every 6 weeks) that I must. Most of the time, I will just hit whatever store I need to on my way home from work. Is it more expensive? Yes, somewhat. And I will not buy my meat there, the helmart here has a lousy meat dept. not to mention the local meat market sells fresh, locally raised meat, and most of the time it is 10-15% cheaper than any of the 'marts'.

I know what it's like to struggle to make ends meet, and I don't judge those that shop there. I would just ask that if there is another outlet for the items you need, give them an opportunity to gain your business(especially if their price is comparable).
 whothehellknows
Msg: 82
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 10/27/2007 7:02:38 AM
I realize the other day that one of the things that show my age is that I can actually remember when Walmart had clean stores, promotoed 'American Made,' treated their employees decent and actually gave good service.

The Walmart Sam Walton created and grew was a completely different organization that this trash they have now. He was about making money, but he also believe in service and a cerytain moral standards. The current CEO and Board could care less about anything but profit. They would stab their grandmother if they thought they could make an extra $.03.

Go into almost any Walmart now and you are greeted with a dirty, cluttered store full of cheap Chinese knockoffs and unhelpful employees.
 Jiperly
Msg: 83
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 10/27/2007 7:44:51 AM
I'm really suspicious of this topic.....

I mean, its 3 years old, and this is the first time someone didn't revive it around 420.....
 Jiperly
Msg: 84
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 10/28/2007 4:59:27 AM
>>>what are people in an area like this to do?

Don't shop there.

I'm conflicted on issues like these because I believe that if you legitimately do not like the store, you should not take your business there. At the same time, it seems alot of people use this anger towards Walmart to push an agenda- to get Walmart banned from this area or that- which I frankly completely disagree with. If I don't like a business, I and all my friends can not go there if we so choose- but just because you do not like a business does not mean you have a right to have it banned from your city

You don't like Walmart? Fine, don't shop there- But having it banned from your city is far more wrong than any stance Walmart could take.

I wish I could find the Penn and Teller Walmart video.....they express my stance far better than I could.
 Street23
Msg: 85
Wally-World SUX
Posted: 10/28/2007 5:22:21 AM

what are people in an area like this to do?
DO what ya did before Wally World came there!!

bleeptwo
Msg: 86
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 12/16/2007 2:51:35 AM
? would anyone here like to give a cash donation to the Chinese military? Why not? After all a fair amount of the electronic and other devices are made by a company that is owned by the Chinese Military I am sure all you wally world customers know that Right. I am sure you are all good Americans and love china so that's why you buy there. Or is it the few cents you save? Maybe it is because after wal mart moved into your smaller community it forced the small town business owner out do to under cutting prices until competition was driven out of town or out of business. People you need to wake up and boycott wal mart. I bet Sam (may he rest in peace )rolls over in his grave when he sees how his company has exported American jobs to a communist country with a very repressive regime at the helm. Funny thing since China buys so much of our national debt that Mr. bush says very little about there human rights record. send a message folks BOYCOTT or not we are Americans and our military stands ready to defend our right to shop at wal mart defend our freedoms. But I for one spend less than 200 dollars a year at wal mart. I am thinking that is 200 a year to much.
 whisper67520
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 12/17/2007 11:16:25 AM
Yes, we usto have an Alco, a Gibsons, Duckwalls, Kmart and 5 full grocery stores in our town. Now we have one grocery chain and Walmart, with a Sams coming in this next year. Do we have much choice. Nope.....and as Walmart has eliminated their competition, their prices have risen, some are higher and their return policies have gotten much stricter. Most of their goods are imports and few made in America products. If given a choice, I would shop anywhere other than Walmart.
 jed456
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 12/17/2007 12:57:33 PM
Just watch the documentary walmart the high cost of low price.
 AceOfSpace
Msg: 89
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 12/17/2007 1:11:36 PM

Well I thought that Liberals were against right-to-work laws, having more than one political party and having different press outlets cover news from different perspectives. Communist China meets this trifecta so it should be a paradise over there.... shouldn't it???

Obviously, you don't know what a liberal is. You must be thinking that "liberal" is a synonym for "communist sympathizer." It's not.

I can't imagine which radio propagandist might have filled your head with distortions and lies like that.

A liberal is someone who believes that the government has an obligation to serve the people. (And not just the ones who make big campaign contributions.)

Wal-mart uses telecommunications technology to keep inventory costs down. They maintain a tight control over their entire supply chain that way. That is the technological advantage that allowed them to get a foothold and maintain their edge. They've since figured out how to use their purchasing power to make their suppliers take the discounts that allow them to charge low prices. They are tough to do business with and take advantage of everything they can to squeeze down prices while maintaining their own profits. That includes worker's wages and benefits. There was a story about them a while back and how many of their employees are making so little that they still require state-supported health care. Why should our tax dollars pay for health care for their employees?
 cncgandolf
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 12/17/2007 3:50:49 PM
"They are tough to do business with and take advantage of everything they can to squeeze down prices while maintaining their own profits. That includes worker's wages and benefits. There was a story about them a while back and how many of their employees are making so little that they still require state-supported health care. Why should our tax dollars pay for health care for their employees?"

The bias in the story is the implication that WalMart's practice of keeping employees in a type of employment that allows them to not provide benefits is unusual. On the contrary, every business I currently know about (and my career causes me to know about many of their HR practices) is practicing the same policies - and especially all of retail. Check it out. Find out what Target and KMart and Home Depot and Loewes and Kohls and the others all do to avoid benefits packages. Start checking with people who work there to find out how many are kept at hours just barely short of qualifying. Heck, the whole grocery store strike in CA last time was to reduce the benefits packages for new employees.

I say this not because I agree with the cost-savings approach but because if we are going to get upset about it then we need to know how widespread the problem is. On the other hand, why is it the job of a company to provide benefits?
 designingwoman
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 12/17/2007 4:55:10 PM
Wal Mart is EVIL. Costco is a good, honorable company that treats its workers well and pays a living wage. Go Costco!!

The Made in China thing has me infuriated. We should NOT be supporting a Communist regime, and we also should be supporting our own workers here in the US.

Inexpensive never has to mean Wal Mart or Made in China. I buy my greeting cards at Family Dollar, and those cards are made in the USA. I buy other items over at Family Dollar that are also US-made, such as my sketch pad that I am using right now. The notebooks I used this semester came from Family Dollar as well, and were made in the USA. Dollar stores can be a good source of American-made items. Another dollar store I visited netted me some much needed sponges--that were also American-made. Check the labels, and leave the Chinese made items on the shelf!
 poly_p
Msg: 92
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 12/18/2007 2:01:05 AM
I miss shopping at establishments like Woolworth, Woolco, Rink's, Montgomery Ward, JC Penney's, etc.

As do I. And the reason we can't shop there anymore: Wal-Mart closed them all down.

I don't know where a lot of you live, but here the Wal-Mart keeps a huge chunk of their staff on "part time" status, even if they give them 40 hours of work a week, because that way they don't have to pay them benefits. What kind of ethical business practice is that?
 AceOfSpace
Msg: 93
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 12/18/2007 3:31:40 AM

I say this not because I agree with the cost-savings approach but because if we are going to get upset about it then we need to know how widespread the problem is. On the other hand, why is it the job of a company to provide benefits?

Because people who forget that capitalism requires a foundation of equitable government would rather entrust their health care system to the hands of those whom they can't vote out than those they can.

If a liberal is someone who believes that it is the job of the government to maintain an infrastructure that is conducive to the business of all the people--including those whose business is their labor--then yes, I guess you could accuse me of being one.
 Jiperly
Msg: 94
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 12/18/2007 7:14:37 AM
>>>Wal Mart is EVIL. Costco is a good, honorable company that treats its workers well and pays a living wage. Go Costco!!...........Family Dollar....

And would it be safe to assume that Family Dollar does not offer their employees the same wages as Costco?

>>>I miss shopping at establishments like Woolworth, Woolco, Rink's, Montgomery Ward, JC Penney's, etc.

Didn't those companies overthrow local businesses as well with lower prices and superior products? Is it Walmart's fault for competiting, or JC Penny's fault for not meeting the goals of their consumers?

>>>...i have seen whole towns of less than 60,ooo lose their entire economic base due to a walmart opening....

And its Walmart, not the people who shop there, that destroyed those towns?

Wheres personal responsibility? If people really didn't want a Walmart, they could just ignore it and continue giving their business to local, smaller business's- where in this does Walmart destroy the town? Sounds like the towns residents destroyed their town on their own....

>>>....unemployment rate has doubled........90% of your neighbors are on welfare...

Care to prove that Walmart is directly the cause of that?

>>>so keep on shopping there and pretend you are saving money

You claim your city is in poverty because of Walmart- but since alot of the people in your town are (supposively) on Welfare, wouldn't they NEED those lowered prices? If a Grocery store opened across the way from Walmart and jacked up their prices to 3 times that of Walmart, are these people somehow perpetuating evil simply because they cannot afford to spend more money on food because *you* feel it is wrong to give Walmart business?
 designingwoman
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 12/18/2007 7:17:23 PM
McDonald's and Burger King have a much smaller impact on community mom and pop businesses than Wal-Mart does. In my hometown, we have a BK, McD's and a Wendy's but we also have many thriving restaurants. The fast food places pretty much coexist within a community rather than destroying communities like Wal Mart does. McD's also complies with community standards as far as the appearance of their stores. For example on Long Island, there are certain architectural specifications that the restaurant must meet in various communities, and the presence of the McD's is accepted right along with the other local businesses. Wal Mart on the other hand is an eyesore and makes the community less beautiful rather than blending into the community landscape.

Also, many of the McD's facilities are beautiful and have nice landscaping, particularly one not far from me. The place is clean, has an attractive interior and beautiful plants and flowers around the property. That to me is much preferable than a big ugly concrete box like Wal Mart that does nothing to make the community look more attractive. My aunt commented that she read some articles about how McD's does what they can to be part of rather than destroying communities, and referred to that as "smart marketing." I agree with that assessment. Wouldn't you much rather have a little McD's with architecture that blends into the community and nice landscaping rather than a big, tacky, junky Wal-Mart? I know I would, and besides, the coffee's good!!
 Jiperly
Msg: 97
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 12/18/2007 7:38:47 PM
>>>Wal Mart on the other hand is an eyesore and makes the community less beautiful rather than blending into the community landscape.

OMG! How dare they! They're EVIL!

>>>Also, many of the McD's facilities are beautiful and have nice landscaping, particularly one not far from me.

Lol- I can't help but notice alot of your argument is subjective. I'm sure I can find someone fairly easily that can state that they think a McDonald's is an eyesore- does that mean we should boycott Mickey D's?

>>>Wouldn't you much rather have a little McD's with architecture that blends into the community and nice landscaping rather than a big, tacky, junky Wal-Mart?

Considering often times Walmart's contain McDonald's within, plus many many other products and services at low prices?

Maybe theres more to this business thing than looking pretty.....
 jed456
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 12/19/2007 2:26:44 AM
While a lot of the big chains are "evil" walmart ranks up there with the best of them a few facts

Over half of Wal-Mart workers fall through the company safety net:

Fewer than Half of Employees Covered. According to Wal-Mart's own website, "In January 2006, the number of associates covered by Wal-Mart health care insurance increased to 46%." [Walmartfacts.com]
Coverage Lags Far Behind National Average. Nationally, 63 percent of workers in large firms (200 employees or more) receive their health benefits from their employer. More than 80 percent of Costco workers are covered by their company plan. [Employer Health Benefits 2006 Annual Survey, The Kaiser Family Foundation and Health Research and Educational Trust; New York Times, 10/24/05]
Neither Affordable Nor Accessible. Wal-Mart provides health care options to their employees and families that have a deductible of $1,000 for individuals and $3,000 for families. Wal-Mart employees must endure long waits to qualify for benefits: six months for full-time employees and one year for part-time employees. [Wal-Mart 2006 Associate Benefits Book; Wal-Mart Press Release, 4/17/06]
 jed456
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 12/19/2007 2:29:24 AM
Shifting Employees to Part-Time Status. A memo written by Susan Chambers, Wal-Mart Executive Vice President for Benefits, for the Wal-Mart Board of Directors, recommended: "Capture savings from current initiatives to improve labor productivity. These initiatives include reducing the number of labor hours per store, increasing the percentage of part-time Associates in stores, and increasing the number of hours per Associate." [Susan Chambers Memo to the Wal-Mart Board of Directors, http://walmartwatch.com/memo; New York Times, 10/26/05]
Admitting to a Part-Time Strategy. "Wal-Mart executives have acknowledged that the retailer will also shift to a heavier reliance on part-time workers, who now account for roughly 20% of the work force, higher than the national average for retailers. A recent JP Morgan report said Wal-Mart plans to increase the ratio of its 1.2 million-member U.S. hourly work force on part-time schedules to 40% from 20%, meaning the hours of as many as 240,000 workers could be cut below 34 a week, the threshold to be considered full-time." [Wall Street Journal, 4/11/06]
Phasing Full-Timers Out. Citigroup analyst Deborah Weinswig predicted that Wal-Mart's proportion of full-time workers is declining. In a 60-page research report, she predicted that "Wal-Mart will reduce its ratio of full-time workers to 60 percent over the next year or two, with the remaining 40 percent slated for part-time status. Wal-Mart's proportion of full-time U.S. workers -- which currently stands at about 75 percent -- could further fall to 50 percent in the future." [Associated Press, 5/3/06]
CEO: 'Disagree? Then Leave.' In 2006, the New York Times reported that "in a confidential, internal Web site for Wal-Mart's managers, the company's chief executive, H. Lee Scott Jr., seemed to have a rare, unscripted moment when one manager asked him why 'the largest company on the planet cannot offer some type of medical retirement benefits?' Mr. Scott first argues that the cost of such benefits would leave Wal-Mart at a competitive disadvantage but then, clearly annoyed, he suggests that the store manager is disloyal and should consider quitting." [New York Times, 2/17/06]
 Jiperly
Msg: 100
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 12/19/2007 5:01:23 AM
>>>Over half of Wal-Mart workers fall through the company safety net

And something tells me that the small businesses alot of people here are defending offer lower incomes and less health coverage, if any at all. So its not so much that its morally right to offer your employees medical care- its that you feel Walmart earns enough, and you should be free to dictate where and how they spend their money.

Not to mention your example depends entirely on your politics- if you feel that a business should be required by law to support their employees medical bills, then yes, through your perspective they could be considered evil- but not everyone feels that way.

You cannot justify that a business is legitimately evil because they do not embrace your political ideologies

>>>Coverage Lags Far Behind National Average. Nationally, 63 percent of workers in large firms (200 employees or more) receive their health benefits from their employer.

And what percentage of these Walmart Employees are part time workers versus this 63%?

>>>More than 80 percent of Costco workers are covered by their company plan

Once again, what percentage of Costco workers are part time workers versus Walmart?

>>> six months for full-time employees and one year for part-time employees.

One would imagine that Costco has a similar process- can you offer a link to Costco's medical plan please?
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Wally-Mart SUX[Thread Closed/Bumped Thread No Clear OT]