Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Wally-Mart SUX[Thread Closed/Bumped Thread No Clear OT]      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 marita_b
Msg: 151
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUXPage 7 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
Walmart isn't the only conglomerate that behaves this way though,...so why single this company out,....there are any number of other's,.....MacDonalds for instance,...

I think it's the attitude of companies that needs changing,...how many other's rather hire 2 part timers instead of one full time employee so they don't need to shell out money for benefits? Try most retail outlets do this as a mater of policy,....and we let them,...

It's the employee protection agencies that also have to do better because how often do they let infraction slide,...trust me,...it's a lot,....

And the way employers (many more than just Walmart) treat their staff,....they know that they can replace you in a heartbeat and many tell you regularly,...that's what needs changing,....

That's what we should be discussing how do we change this general attitude of employers in general,...we can't boycott them all,..there's far too many of them,....b ut that's just my opinion,....
 marita_b
Msg: 152
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/6/2008 11:59:55 AM
The problem is that the multitude of people that work in these places working for minimum wage or less if they can get students,...haven't got enough money to shop elsewhere,...

It's a vicious circle,....that's the problem,....

We're not talking about those that have a bank account that gives them the choice but all the rest of us that have no choice,....and there are a lot of us,....
 packagedealx3
Msg: 153
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/6/2008 4:48:11 PM
The point that Internetdatingpariah was trying to make is the same one that I also alluded to, that you are better off working to better what exists, i.e. force Wal-Mart to pressure the sweat shops to improve conditions, for Wal-Mart to improve wages, for them to make healthcare standard, etc.

And others are correct also in that it is not just Wal-Mart. A friend of mine is married to an electrician. He earns $25.00 but to put his wife and kids on his health insurance would be $250 a week, they cannot afford it so they are using public health care.

People pick on Wal-Mart because they have done capitalism better than most other companies because of the economies of scale they have created and their efficiencies in doing business. The fact of the matter is that if a big retailer like Wal-Mart closes it will be catastrophic for many communities.

The small town where my X grew up; the entire economy of the town is centered on Wal-Mart. Sure, people can drive to the bigger town 20 minutes away but that job market only has a certain capacity. Losing the jobs from that Wal-Mart will not only make unemployment skyrocket and leave people without jobs, their incomes will no longer be used to patronize the small businesses in that town that do exist.

So I repeat that the answer is not shutting Wal-Mart down or out but figuring out how to force them to engage in better business practices. Whether it is punitive or incentive-based, improving what exists is a far superior plan to putting Wal-Mart out of business.
 designingwoman
Msg: 154
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/6/2008 9:06:03 PM
Le Tarzhay is better all the time I love Target. It's clean, the prices reasonable and the products much better than Wal-Mart's. My friends and I love to call Target "Le Tarzhay" (I can't read or write French so you will have to excuse the phonetic spelling of the French way of saying Target)!!
 griffey99
Msg: 155
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/6/2008 9:46:01 PM
All i have to say is, watch "High Price for Low Cost" and then tell me about their so called great business ethics.
 griffey99
Msg: 156
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/6/2008 9:48:07 PM
Well thats how they teach their business students anymore in high school/college, to maximize profits at ALL costs and that they can replace their workers infinitely.
 marita_b
Msg: 157
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/7/2008 3:21:59 AM

Marita, Didn't mean to ride so hard while ago, but people need to be educated about this

Not to worry damon0028,....I love to be challenged,...it makes me think,...

Truth be told there was life before Wal-Mart ,...and if it fell off the planet today there would still be life,....

One of my sons worked for them and hated it,...then again he hated working everywhere,...

MCDonald's does it with burgers, Exxon-Mobil does it with gas, and Wal-Mart does it with everything under the sun, including gas and burgers. That's the difference

The difference is they sell more things????

sorry but that's just silly,...to the employee it doesn't matter if he/she is getting the shaft from an employer who sells a bunch of things verses an employer who only sells gas,...

Abuse is abuse,....the rest is irrelevant,....to the worker,....
 marita_b
Msg: 158
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/7/2008 5:04:45 AM

It is completely relevant to the worker as they relate to the national picture. Wal-Mart has kept many employees at part-time status for years as part of their business model. Now, their workers and others everywhere are having their hours cut as businesses try to ride out the crises. Those worker's loss of spending power directly affects the overall economy. I don't understand why people fail to understand this.

My point earlier was,.....name me one large retailer or fast food outlet,.....or multiplex theater or any minimum wage outfit that largely exists on the backs of teen, and twenty something students,...that doesn't do this?

My point is by zeroing in on the one,...wal-mart,....the world in general thinks it's only the one that's the problem,....and THAT is what gives all those others permission to carry on as normal,.....because after all they aren't Wal-mart so their practices are just fine,.....

And yelling until the government raises the minimum wage isn't doing it,.....

We need to draw attention to the practices that employers in general are getting away with and fix it,.....all of it,....not just the one who happens to be the biggest problem,....Add up all the little ones and they combined are an even bigger problem that Wal-mart,....

In 1978 I was a baker cake decorator for Lawblaws which today is Superstore,....I was earning over $9.00 dollars an hour,.... Today that exact same position I would be lucky to pull in more than $8.00 dollars an hour,....that's THIRTY YEARS ago,.....when $9.00 was worth a he!! of a lot more don't you think?

THAT's the problem,...not only are companies allowed to rollback wages, they can pay even less merely by taking one full time position,...and giving it to two part timers,....

The work is still getting done,...but now it's done at bargain basement expenses to them,..

Untill all of them have to change their practice none of them will,....and to be honest why should the one,...Wal-mart be expected to change,....if the rest can just carry on?

If you were Wal-mart would you change?.
 eeeo4U
Msg: 159
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/7/2008 11:07:10 AM
I remembered when I was young and single and Kroger was unionized I knew this guy who drove a Corvette and lived in an upscale apartment...he'd been a bag boy for Kroger for 8 years! They like others had to get competitive so they went to the "just under" concept as well...But sacking groceries with maybe a high school diploma doesn't need to pay more than cops, teachers, other positions which require more education and training.
 Jiperly
Msg: 160
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/9/2008 9:21:50 AM
>>>why Wal-Mart, the wealthiest of the offenders, feels it does not have to abide by the same rules as the rest of us.

I....I don't really understand that in that context. If the consumer makes choices, and these choices have harmful effects on society, how is it Walmarts fault, and not the consumers? They are simply listening to society- a free market is nothing else than a perfect reflection of society- if people didn't want it, they wouldn't go to Walmart.

And you think they aren't abiding by the rules as 'the rest of us'? What kind of double speak is that? If you were promoting the ideal that everyone should get equal treatment,that everyone should have to abide to the rules, then you would not be looking to make an example of any business, the most successful or not- You would be looking for a massive change across the board- if Big Box stores create pollution because of their parking lots, then you would try and ban big box stores or big parking lots- not just the single most successful business- all businesses. Otherwise, you are setting rules and saying that, not everyone has to abide by them, simply the ones whom you believe are sinning.

You literally wrote something that is in complete contradiction of what actions you are promoting are.

Not to mention, what 'rules'? I'm not aware of any laws Walmart is breaking, but I'm certain the Government would happily cash in on it if what you say is true......or do you mean imposing a moral directive on society?

>>>Did Wal-Mart just decide in a vacuum that they wanted to run some environmentally friendly ads or does it prove that Wal-Mart is starting to be concerned about its tarnished image?

No, people wanted those products- Walmart reconized this and are attempting to profit off it- nothing more.

Walmart is simply acting in this own self-interest. People want more efficient light bulbs- they are acting in their own self interest- and Walmart offers them at competitive prices- they are acting in their own self interest. Theres no voodoo there- people want it, so Walmart sells it. Everyone profits.

I remember when I worked at a Call Centre, taking reservation calls for a hotel chain,and one of their franchises switched over to non-smoking- they didn't do it because they felt they need to impose a healthier standard for their guests or because they want to save one person from lung cancer- they did it because their customers wanted their hotels to be non-smoking- they were doing an overwhelming amount of business with non-smoking consumers,and the smoking rooms were going unused, and were actually damaging their ability to profit.

So they changed their policies- not for the betterment of mankind, but out of self-interest.

Stop condemning a business for not acting like a charity- there are millions of charities that, quite frankly, are better run than Walmart to begin with.
 BRRV
Msg: 161
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/9/2008 9:58:49 AM
1. What rules did Wal-Mart break? ? ? None. It's a canard, designed to drive a flawed emotional argument.

2. Wal-Mart is evil?? I think not. This entire conversation is irrelevant, unless you anti-capitalist types really want to drive out all the "evil corporations" - oh wait, I forgot - corporations are owned by individuals who buy the stock. I'll bet more than half of the posters here own Wal-Mart stock through their 401[k] contributions - and appreciate the return on their investment, even though they don't really know what they own. This is hypocritical at the very least.

The fact that China embraced capitalism because their political model was failing is lost on absolutists who believe in anarchy as opposed to anything else. Is China perfect? No, not by a long shot, but it's irrelevant, as protectionism is deadlier than free trade, which gives the Chinese a chance to improve their standard of living, education, and so on, and which, more importantly, expands the possibilities for individual liberty. What would you have Wal-Mart do, give up competing against the likes of Target, K-Mart, Kroger, Alco, Sears, et al? After you drive Wal-Mart out of business with your protectionist anti-trade hysteria, who will be next? Thus is exposed the REAL agenda.

Who do you think China buys its machine tools from? Who does it buys advanced technologies from? It's a two way street, as trade always is. It's better to "lift all boats" than it is to lock the doors and throw away the keys. We benefit - they benefit. And since we have far more disposable income than they do, we import more than we export. Anyone with more than a passing acquaintance with macro economics gets it.

Or maybe you'd rather ignore the enormous future economic power of 1.3 billion souls.

Excuse me while I go to shop at (insert name of favorite retail establishment that buys things from the PRC) and save money.
 jewel734
Msg: 162
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/9/2008 10:17:11 AM
It's your right not to shop there, but first you should know the whole picture. Walmart does alot fo good, neighborhood communities, Children Miracle Network, Kids Camp, College Support for 5 different ones, Miles for Smiles to help mentally challenged individuals, and they cashed your stimilus checks fo0r free, just to name a few. They give millions every year to charity, so get the facts straight. Not to mention roll back pricing to help the economy. Name one grocery chain or big business that does this much. You will be hard pressed to find one Slurpee! Just an informed citizen...........................
 marita_b
Msg: 163
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/9/2008 10:30:55 AM
having shopped in Walmart of 3 different countries I have to agree with the above poster,... Jiperly

Although the superficial design of the stores are easily recognizable,...you know your in a Walmart,... those stores can not be relocated in any other country,....

The one in Mexico wouldn't work in Canada etc,...why because each store is geared to maximizing it's own market,....that doesn't so much apply from one store to another in Canada where much of the purchasing is done on line,....

That's how I knew what I could buy for Christmas in Nova Scotia and have a son pick up in Edmonton,....again they do this because purchasing has made many changes over the years and the one thing I know is that Walmart wants their finger in all of those pies,....while many here complain they are doing it,....

All those other large retail outfits could have done the same and had nothing to complain about the Zellers here are dying,...K-Mart died here years ago,....they no longer even exist here,....The Bay, Eaton's, Sears,...and their Catalog ,....Reitmans you name me one that is alive and well,...why?

They all had their shot and missed the mark,...and none of them were particularly employee friendly,... They didn't pay what they didn't absolutely have to,...they all tried to get 2 part timers rather than one full timer and I could be wrong but I don't think any of them were unionized were they?

When I worked for Lawblaws I did work in a union shop,...and I'm here to tell you Unions had their place in days gone by they probably might again but these days it's just one more person yelling at you the worker,...The union never did anything for me but demand dues,....I thought and believe your union should be your advocate and middleman between you and the employer,but that wasn't my experience,... and it isn't like I didn't ask them for help from time to time,....but that's for a whole other forum,....

I would like to say there are big differences about working in Canada and working in the USA so you can't compare them equally,...we in Canada don't have to worry about basic health care,...we're all covered working or not,....we don't need to negotiate this,...there are extra's,..dental,..eye care that helps to have,...and that aren't a part of the basics but for the poor social services covers that they even pay for all drugs,...so compare apples to apples,....

In Mexico for example all the stores have a large group of teens and older people sitting waiting to take your cart to the car they do not get a salary from the store,...at all,...no store pays them,...they live from tips alone,....Walmart is no different,....why should they be,...that's the way it is in that country,....you can't compare that to Canada either,....
 Jiperly
Msg: 164
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/11/2008 11:44:29 AM
Not to nitpick, but how is that only one thing? That's everything- if consumers considered their choices more often, this problem would resolve itself entirely and completely, period.

That been said, the hinge of that is you'd have to respect other peoples decisions to take their business to Walmart if they consider it the superior choice. And that's what we're really arguing here- not your desire to give people the freedom of choice, to consider the options and come to their own conclusions- but your desire to deny people the freedom of choice- that you see only one solution, yours, and you see nothing wrong punishing and/or condemning those whom do not share your views.

What if the majority of the country knows and understands the damage Walmart does, and accepts it- would you still fight to close Walmarts?
 oddandy
Msg: 165
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/11/2008 12:13:21 PM
UPDATE: It's been over a week now, and I'm happy to report that as of yet I have not suffered any symptoms of lead poisoning from my lovely new $7.99 coffee pot.

I'm told the children at the orphanage spent the extra $12.09 I had to donate (thanks to getting such a good deal at Wal Mart) on overpriced ice cream and cakes from the local mom and pop store. See how everyone wins when we shop at Wal Mart?
 eeeo4U
Msg: 166
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/11/2008 1:44:06 PM
My daughter worked at WalMart until she left to have her baby earlier this year. In addition to several raises, she was finally transferred to the pharmacy department where she was being trained to be a certified pharmacy technician. They have already told her that she would lose no seniority due to pregnancy if she returns within two years and that if she so desires, they will pay her tuition to the University of Texas-Arlington so she can obtain a pharmacy degree as long as she goes in her off-time, and is willing to work at WalMart for a year after she gets her degree. I think they're pretty good for doing this...
 designingwoman
Msg: 167
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/11/2008 9:37:14 PM
Yep, Wal Mart is evil I am skeptical of the promises being made to the above poster's daughter. I don't trust Wal Mart. They've pulled alot of dirty tricks on people.
 Jiperly
Msg: 168
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/12/2008 12:03:08 PM
>>> Because if you look at your posts, you are pretty quick to criticize those of us who don't share your views.

Ah, but my beliefs, although I disagree with yours, lies clearly within the grounds that I still support your and everyone's choice to make for themselves. If Walmart chooses to enact certain businesses practices, I do not say they are evil(msg 333, 340, 148), that they should be forced to follow my standards and my beliefs (msg 276), or that we should make an example of them(msg 311, 290) . Such statements clearly invalidates anyone thoughts and opinions but your own, and sets your beliefs up to be the be all end all. The moment you start talking about how a business is sinning, that they should be penalized for not sharing their successes with their employees by doubling or tripling their wages- that you should have the right to force a business to do anything- you've crossed the line of saying 'if only people would look at the issue objectively',and are now dictating how things must be

Once again, I ask- if the majority of America were aware of Walmarts practices, considered them, and decided that they'd rather do business with Walmart- would you respect that persons choice? Or would you continue your crusade against Walmart?

Its either your misrepresenting your beliefs ,or you're contradicting yourself- that you're making it seem like you respect peoples beliefs while condemning people for not accepting yours,with the ultimate goal of invalidating their standards and values- or, if the majority of America knows Walmarts negative business practices(which are hardly a secret), and chooses to do business with them anyways,you'd accept that, and privately make your own choice too, based on your own standards and values. And according to Wikipedia, 1/3 of Americans visit Walmart once a week, or 100,000,000 Americans- clearly through the free market, the majority of Americans see the issue and have made a decision on it- do you respect those peoples choices?

You cannot in one sentence say that you respect peoples right to come to their own conclusions while at the same time actively try to invalidate their conclusions- if you respected other peoples choices, you wouldn't be working to undermine what they believe in.

>>>how is speaking your mind CONDEMNING or PUNISHING people?

Telling a business how it must be run, especially through Government actions, is.

>>>We are providing information and encouraging people to think for themselves.

Weren't people doing that already?

Its like arguing to ban cigarettes- the cigarette smokers say that they are aware of the risk, but like it reguardless, and choose to use it. You say the cigarette smokers don't know what they're talking about, and push to make the decision for them, because they don't understand what you do. There's providing information, and there's imposing your beliefs. And I gotta say, implying that Walmart is selling poisoned or tainted products(end of msg 338) is imposing fear and speculation ,rather than facts and information, and I believe is breaking a few slander laws on top of that.

----

DesigningWomans post above me is an excellent example of why I'm posting here less and less- Walmart hired within- 70% of their skilled labor jobs are just that- and gave its employee the training they needed to be more successful and more valuable to the company. And she scoffed and called the user a liar. Nice.
 arwen52
Msg: 169
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/12/2008 1:37:52 PM
Read The Walmart Effect: How the World's Most Powerful Company Really Works - and How It's Transforming the American Economy by Charles Fishman. Then, after reading it, tell me you still support WalMart. Fishman describes the inhumane treatment of workers, the environmental devastation, and the ruinous effect on many local economies that WalMart has wrought. As Fishman asks, "If people knew that the jeans they were wearing were used to beat the very person making them, would they still shop at WalMart?"

WalMart keeps its prices the lowest by keeping their employees underpaid and by forcing suppliers to locate in places like China where labor is cheap and safety, environmental, and human rights laws almost non-existent. In states that keep figures on such things, WalMart's employees receive the highest percentage of government assistance than any other company. What that means is that WalMart depends on you, the taxpayer, the provide health care, food stamps, and aid to dependent children. Think again about those low prices.

By the way, Costco, Target, and K-Mart have fairly low prices but treat their employees and suppliers much better than WalMart. As a result, they have a much higher employee retention rate.

If all you care about is price and you don't care how that price was achieved, then I would say you have no conscience.

I do not shop at WalMart and shopping at WalMart might be a deal-breaker for me in thinking of a potential partner. Friends don't let friends shop at WalMart. Read Fishman's book, then come back and tell me how much you love WalMart.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 170
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/17/2008 2:42:51 PM
Oh sheesh...I am back at the WalMart thread!

I just heard from an old friend who we have not talked in a while. She had been employed with a large pet food company here in St. Louis for about a gazillion years and was laid off for some bullsh1t reason. Anyway, she informed me that she took on a cashier position at WalMart and absolutely LOVES the job, benefits, and hours...said she would not take her three times higher paying job, back for anything. :)
 Super Ryan
Msg: 171
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/17/2008 3:46:05 PM
Congradulations Wal-Mart. You are now considered to offer a better working enviroment then a pet food factory.
 designingwoman
Msg: 172
view profile
History
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/17/2008 8:17:24 PM
Arwen, excellent post! I agree that Costco, K Mart and Target do a better job of taking care of their employees. And yes, there's a K Mart in the Hamptons and it's always crowded. to you Wal Mart!! There's ALWAYS an alternative if you are willing to look!!!!!

One of my favorite blankets was bought at K Mart. It is a soft cotton blanket that I enjoy curling up under when I am watching TV. I've had it for a long time, and it's still going strong.

Family Dollar has alot of people who have worked there for years. I like shopping there too.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 173
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/17/2008 8:23:27 PM

Congradulations Wal-Mart. You are now considered to offer a better working enviroment then a pet food factory.

Well, Smart Ass....I was simply sharing such, as it must not be as horrible of an employer in all areas, as some make it out to be! She made about $26 an hour working for Nestle/Purina (pet food AND chocolate! LMAO) in the corporate part of it, not the factory...now she is probably making $8 an hour, but SHE ENJOYS IT. Enough to where she CHOOSES to work there...is not forced...her husband is the chief of police for their town, so it is not like they are hurting for money!
 Super Ryan
Msg: 174
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/17/2008 8:47:04 PM

now she is probably making $8 an hour, but SHE ENJOYS IT. Enough to where she CHOOSES to work there...is not forced...her husband is the chief of police for their town, so it is not like they are hurting for money!

I think most people would agree Wal-Mart is a fairly stress free enviroment, and very low on the danger scale. But the problem is the pay, benefits, and hours. Your friend is lucky, as you have stated she does not need to work, and her husband probably gets all the benefits the family needs. But what if she were single, would she stay for the easy $8/h?
Wal-Mart is famous for low wages, no benefits, and less then 35 hours a week.
But my biggest beef with Wal-Mart is their anti-union attitude. Any time a store goes union, they shut it down. In Canada that is actually a crime. Unfortunately Wal-Mart always comes up with some excuse why the need to shut down the store, and then a month later a new store down the street opens up. Add to that thier ability to use their massive size to destroy any one who attempts to compete with them. And you have a company that exemplifies what's wrong with capitalism.
Microsoft get broken up, but Wal-Mart ,the worlds largest company, is allowed to chug on.
Wal-Mart needs to be broken up, so others can fairly compete. It's easy, make one half retail, and the other half distribution. But allow others access to the distribution.
Then people can compete, and we don't have to worry about all retail going to a Wal-Mart monopoly.
 HarleyKat~
Msg: 175
Wally-Mart SUX
Posted: 8/17/2008 10:00:36 PM
Wow...I know two people who were managers at Walmart...store managers, not department....and they NEVER made anything such as a $125,000 bonus!! LMAO

In fact, one left to work at Blockbuster...where he made about $65K a year.
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  > Wally-Mart SUX[Thread Closed/Bumped Thread No Clear OT]