Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 pantsonfire
Msg: 2
view profile
History
selling the home to pay for residential care..Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
^^not quite the same but my mum has had to take the equity on her property to pay for care for my stepdad, he had a stroke and is severely disabled, they have a tiny private pension £21 per calendar month and that means they don't qualify for any state help or benefits other than DLA ... If my mum needs any time off, she has to pay for it at £650+ per week ... If she dies the rest of the property will go to pay for my stepdads care .. Wouldn't be so bad, except he moved into a fully paid for property, mum had paid for it herself .. The state helps no one....
 stevencl
Msg: 16
view profile
History
selling the home to pay for residential care..If the frail person meets the local eligibility criter
Posted: 4/14/2007 5:40:57 PM
at the end of the day, it all boils down to money. If you want people to have free care in the community or nursing/residential homes, it has to be paid for through council tax or rises in direct taxation. this country can't afford low taxes and free care. they have totally free health care etc. in sweden i think but then they pay about 60% tax on the basic rate.
 stevencl
Msg: 23
view profile
History
selling the home to pay for residential care..
Posted: 4/26/2007 2:27:46 AM
not sure about this lily but i seem to remember from somewhere that there is a way of doing it but it's complicated and involves lawyers. I have a fact sheet from help the aged if you want to mail me or go to http://www.helptheaged.org.uk/NR/rdonlyres/7C5E3999-2AED-4B59-ABC2-7391DAFE9F46/0/paying_for_your_care_home_is.pdf
 piewhacket
Msg: 27
view profile
History
selling the home to pay for residential care..
Posted: 4/26/2007 10:38:51 PM
I see and hear of this quite a lot working in a hospital. Personally I think it is awful that the older generation in our country who have worked hard, saved and have property are made to sell their homes to pay for their care which usually averages 600/700 pounds a week!!! It seems to me in this country that the elderly are not looked after in a lot of ways and this is a prime example. Also, and possibly could be a different thread, how the Elderly Care Homes can equate why it costs this much to look after an elderly person is beyond me!!!

This subject makes me very angry and possibly a small loophold is that the elderly sign over the deeds to their home to there children or a third person before this happens and then maybe, just maybe, the assett the Government want them sell they can't because they no longer own it.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >