Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ron9
Msg: 2
Falling in Love:Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I’m not too sure - it has been over 20 years since I’ve had the pleasure of an honest “pitter patter” but - I remember enough about it that - I am thinking it would be pretty swell.
 prolibertate
Msg: 5
Falling in Love:
Posted: 3/21/2007 7:16:03 AM
Falling in love is a blessing, though it may feel like a curse if the other person doesn’t fall in love also, or if one or both fall out of love.

As far as infatuation and love, just the literal definition of each word can answer that question. Infatuation: to cause to be foolish : deprive of sound judgment; 2 : to inspire with a foolish or extravagant love or admiration. Love: 1 a (1) : strong affection for another arising out of kinship or personal ties; (2) : attraction based on sexual desire : affection and tenderness felt by lovers; (3) : affection based on admiration, benevolence, or common interests; b : an assurance of love; 2 : warm attachment, enthusiasm, or devotion.

Infatuation, IMO, is that phase where you daydream about far in the future, instead of being in the moment and enjoying the present. Love is when you put the other person first; you give 100% to them, and if they love you they give 100% back. There's a huge difference between infatuation and love; once you've really fallen in love, it's easy to recognize it again. Romance can play a part in love, but it doesn’t have to; besides, there’s nothing more romantic than someone who’s being themself and doing things because they *want* to, not because they think they *have* to…I’ll take that over someone who is doing something they *think* I’ll like but they don’t really want to be doing it; they’re only doing it to impress me.

Love doesn’t just happen and then just exist without some input form both parties. Love and relationships take time and effort from both people involved. If one always does it all, then it’s not going to work out, IMO. It’s a giving and taking; a working together; making the time for each other regardless of what else is going on in your lives.
 justforumsplease
Msg: 6
Falling in Love:
Posted: 3/21/2007 7:23:22 AM
After all I have been through, everything that has happened to me, and what I foresee coming in the future...

I see it as a curse.

When I love, I love completely... with no reservations. Finding someone who feels as I do is something like a quest for the Holy Grail. I won't find it, and when I do, it will be too late to matter.

Love is for poets...
 CharleneAnn
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Falling in Love:
Posted: 3/21/2007 3:09:35 PM
LOVE CAN BE BOTH... a Blessing if they feel the same... and a Curse if they don't.....
Love is like beauty..... It is subject to what the two experiencing it share. Every love is different.
 curlygrl
Msg: 14
Falling in Love:
Posted: 3/22/2007 4:30:07 PM
[Love is for poets... ]

Interesting you should say this -
I think you are one - are you not-

Love is a blessing if it is shared with someone who feels the same-
only a curse if it is not returned-
 queenofputrescence
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Falling in Love:
Posted: 3/22/2007 6:09:28 PM
i wrote a paper on love for my philosophy class. This is going to be a long post, but most of the paper is going to be included. it was a damn good paper. lol. It may not make as much sense with the whole middle missing, but it still kind of answers the question.

What is love? Apparently, this is one of the most difficult questions to answer, even when a person is ‘in love.’ After wrestling with this question for many hours, plenty of conclusions about what love is not have come up. Love is not mean spirited, boastful, or malignant. I have found that it does not come instantaneously, and is not simply lust. Scientific types might explain love as a chemical reaction between two people. Is that all it is though; Chemicals reacting positively and nothing more than that? Personally, I would like to believe that such an intense yet indescribable feeling comes from something deeper and more profound than my chemicals reacting to someone else’s. Could it be because human beings are generally not solitary creatures, so we try to find that one person who can fill our lives? Maybe, or maybe it is more than that as well.

The reasons we love, and the definition of love itself, will never be collectively decided upon. Love will always be defined as two different things if you ask two people, three different things if you ask three people, and so on. I choose to define love as an intense bond between two people that causes them to care deeply about what happens to the other. I have found that there are ‘subdivisions’ of love as well. Familial love is certainly not the same as romantic love, which are both entirely different from the love you have for your close friends. Loving one’s neighbor is definitely different than loving one’s spouse. Then of course, there is the tricky task of addressing unrequited love. Loving someone that does not love you back is mind boggling, yet it happens regardless of how ridiculous it may seem. Plenty of modern musicians certainly draw on the angst caused by this form of love. Nonetheless, these varying types of love all have one thing in common: The bond that makes one person want to be there completely for the other, and having the trust that the other person will do the same in return. Even that is not the best definition of what love is, and many would probably argue that there must be more to love than just that. In addition, the definition above barely takes into account unrequited love. So how can one define what love is?

The importance of love in a persons life is a very individual thing. I think that as a whole, people need love. Love is what supports our ties to our relatives and friends. It is the foundation for most people to start families of their own. Romantic love can be an all consuming emotion, and any person who says otherwise has probably not felt this emotion. Solomon hit’s the nail on the head when he describes it as being a sort of “in” thing that you can only begin to understand when you have felt it for yourself, much like a language you do not understand until you learn it. Trying to explain the importance of love is almost futile, because you cannot explain what it is. You cannot explain how to breath, and love is much the same; You do it or you die. With love, the death is not so literal, but I think that when you go through life without experiencing love, a part of you does sort of die.

What is love? This question may never be fully answered, not in a way that will fully address how everyone feels. Because people are so different, the very definition of love will always be different. When you look up the word love, you will probably find synonyms such as affection and desire. These are parts of love, but not the whole picture. Part of love is trust and dependency. Part of it is desire and passion. Yet another part is empathy and caring. Some describe it as nurturing and compassion. With all these different words, a picture can be painted of what love should look like, but it will never appear as bright as it should. The colors are all slightly dulled until you feel it for yourself.
 ck1time
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Falling in Love:
Posted: 3/22/2007 8:04:46 PM
The thread's about "Falling" in Love, but queenof above brings out some good points. "What Is Love?" (Besides a song by Haddaway, & theme song to Kris Katan's & Will Farrell's SNL skit.)
When you cut out the fat & strip it down to the basics, Love is the single most powerful force in the universe. As humans, heck as mammals, we can only approach the true power and meaning of this force, thus we give it a simplistic name with so many associations.
The real nature of what we call Love is so transcending a concept, so advanced an energy state, that we are stymied, limited & confounded by that which we cannot fathom.
The Big Bang (not your last hot date, the other one) was the first & ultimate expression of Love, in our universe.
So, yeah being in love is a blissful state. It's as close as we can get to Creation itself.
 chuchurillo
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Falling in Love:
Posted: 3/23/2007 8:04:17 PM
Love gives a fleeting glimps of heaven, and all we need of hell.
 randomstoic
Msg: 24
Falling in Love:
Posted: 3/24/2007 4:36:26 PM
I have very positive feelings about falling in love, but with the exception of my marriage every instance involved some element of unrequited/impossible love. It would be nice for the pleasure to outweigh the pain on both sides for once.
 StarreGazer
Msg: 31
Falling in Love:
Posted: 3/25/2007 6:25:06 PM

hate love. lol.

I hate unrequited love. One-way love trashes one's spirit.
 pebbles_2006
Msg: 39
Falling in Love:
Posted: 4/10/2007 3:34:33 AM
Well I am the type that Falls in love quite fast--- As soon As I get comfortable with someone in a relationship I let it known to the person I am with when I feel that way.

Well that happen to me right now and now I am in the slow road to discovering that the feeling is there but I am keeping it to myself because my BF AL thinks its too early to tell each other we love each other for just being together for 3 months.... But it all depends actually some ppl get that feeling right away that is why they have that saying, "LOVE @ FIRST SIGHT"...... well to me that was the case because AL made an impression on me when we were just friends for a month & a half..... Now that we are in a relationship for 3 months......Things are doing well between us....
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >