Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Dating International,Is It the Best?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 2findU
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Dating International,Is It the Best?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I don't have a problem with dating ladies of foreign origin. But I am not going to import one. She will already have to be living here. I recently dated a lady from Panama and she was very nice. I met her locally.
 appliquez sur le corps
Msg: 15
Dating International,Is It the Best?
Posted: 4/1/2007 10:13:30 AM
ugh...i might get shot for saying this...so dont tell my friends ok...

God bless America....for those cute lil american hotties >_<)

the accent gets me every time...Ive dated my own race (im half maori and half samoan) dated a lovely english chap, dated a lovely lad from shanghai and a nice guy from lebanon...but i gotta say... totally partial to americans...maybe its the accent or the fact that they can provide me with krispie kreams

i live in new zealand...so it sucks...i wanna go back to america :(
 Cheerful_Trousers
Msg: 16
Posted: 4/16/2007 10:48:14 PM
I always wanted to date a girl from another culture other than mine. One day maybe...
 iamtheone39
Msg: 17
Posted: 6/26/2007 6:26:19 PM
I have my preferences...Canadians,Russians,and Aussie women are the best I believe. I have to say that since I have been on dating sites there are more friendly Canadian women that any other race. I definitely am open to dating someone from another country. The different cultures are such an educational experience along with the variety of hugs and kisses.
 Seavoyage
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2007 7:35:41 PM
Well, I have dated a Russian woman I once dated was much better for me. She was very kind, warm, giving, and attentive and said what she meant and did what she said. At least, it was with that one. A Russian friend wants to kind of set me up with her Russian friend who looks kind of cute. Frankly, for some men especially cosmopolitan men, like myself, who are into ethnic foods, are well read, and sometimes traveled being with an international girl whether European or maybe Asian might be easier than being with someone domestic.
 Seavoyage
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2007 7:46:54 PM
We are talking about culture in a way. If you're a North American guy who is multi-cultural, cosmopolitan you might have a problem relating to your standard American or Canadian girl with their ways of approaching men and dating, relationships etc... This could also apply to women looking for foreign men. They may find certain men more romantic than your average North American man. As a man who is well traveled, has been educated, speaks three languages, I don't really think the average North American woman relates well, but a European or Russian or maybe an Asian would relate better. People on the domestic front are more to what is domestic rather than what is foreign. I have dated a Russian girl, and she was one of the best girlfriends I've ever had. I disagree that American women can't stick to one guy. However, stereotypically Russian middle class women say what they mean, they are not into being frivolous, are more focused on your character, your personality since life is tougher in Russia. That's my guess. But, the again, I probably might connect better with a girl from Italy better than a girl from North America, because I am more international, and I don't think domestic girls really are into those who have an international experience...
 iamtheone39
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/27/2007 7:47:19 PM
Funny,I dated a Polish lady who has lived in the U.S. for years but still had the strong accent. The funny thing is that every time I mentioned something about her to someone from Germany,the German people always had to mumble something negative under their breath. It has something to do with the Polish people stealing all of their jobs, kind of like how it is with the Mexican people now in the U.S. The good thing about Americans is that most Americans are not caught up in all of the stupid cultural jibberish that should have disappeared when the Wall came down in Germany. I know that Czech people DO NOT like to be referred to as Russians,like the Germans,they feel a "race issue" is still something important to argue about. I am not at all saying all people of these particular races still have issues with their counterparts,but it is something to consider when dating someone and meeting their families when going overseas.
 some woman
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/30/2007 2:40:46 PM

Dating online is fine for what it is, but beware when things get serious, immigration is a nightmare. Took 2 yrs for us to sort things out. It's not as easy as people think and I would say 99% of internation relationships fail.

as someone who spent nearly two years trying to maintain an international relationship myself, i completely agree with this statement. so many people think it's just about dating, but isn't the ultimate goal to spend the rest of our lives with someone? anyone with the romantic notion that no distance is too far if you want to be with someone enough should really do their homework about immigration laws before they get too involved.

I don't have a problem with dating ladies of foreign origin. But I am not going to import one. She will already have to be living here. I recently dated a lady from Panama and she was very nice. I met her locally.

with the exception of the poor choice of words about importing one, i have to agree with this thought also. assuming they're here legally, the immigration issue will have already been addressed and therefore hopefully would not cause any complications if it should go beyond dating into something more meaningful and permanent.

what i learned by my own international dating experience is that everything i believed about people from other cultures could be proved wrong (or right) depending solely on the individuals and set of circumstances involved. i expected many more differences in our cultures and way of life than there actually were. with someone else from somewhere else, it would have been entirely different.

do i think international dating is the best? maybe for some people. best for me? i don't believe so and highly doubt i'll ever find out for sure.
 ChicagoGQguy
Msg: 22
Posted: 11/26/2007 10:53:01 AM
Lady XO -

Your profile says you are in both Chicago and Ontario but that you don't accept e-mail from those outside of Canada. I would love to meet you when you are in Chicago. How do I contact you?

Steve
 aSydneyMale
Msg: 23
Posted: 11/29/2007 12:54:59 AM
Well I'm an Australian man living in Indonesia at the moment. Bumped into a gorgeous American lady, had dinner last night & hopefully more dates to come.

So I'm a fan of dating international, no question!
 MOAB4U
Msg: 24
Posted: 11/29/2007 8:02:34 PM
When you live either in USA, CANADA, Great Britain, or Australia many humans from third world countries or developing countries will treat you with the utmost of courtship skill. You will become besotted, bewitched and bothered. Aaah , the sweetness of infatuation masquerading as sincere love and desire. Rude awakenings when the test of compatibility rears its ugly head . BUT TOO LATE> SUCKER. You brought them home and got married.

Give it three years honey and then? POOF. You have been used for immigration and the violin keeps on playing.

A few people I know have met the love of their life only to realize horror of horror people do cross borders on wings of deciet and manipulation.
 boisegoodbadboy
Msg: 25
Posted: 11/30/2007 2:08:14 AM
so much for mars and venus huh?
 nebula22
Msg: 26
Posted: 12/9/2007 9:45:06 AM
I just met a very nice woman that lives in Belize..
If we do decide to be together I will move there to be with her..
She has a house there on the Rio Honcho river and she is a high school teacher..
I wouldnt even want to bring her into this country , as america has become a terrible place to live..
I would rather sell my place and get out of the US and move to someplace where freedom is more than just a statement on a piece of paper that the government wipes their arses on.
 toomuch13
Msg: 28
Posted: 6/9/2008 10:51:41 AM
I prefer European men myself. My best boyfriends were European. I have seriously been thinking about relocating to Italy.
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 29
Posted: 6/9/2008 11:21:50 AM
All stereotyping aside, it's always interesting to date someone from another country. Many of the social bariers of your own culture seem to be removed. This is often the case from both perspectives. For instance, I'm seeing an Italian guy now, I generally think of Italian women as the hottest on the planet, but he has years of social learning that makes him see Italian women as wanting to settle down, wanting to be domestic to the point that he is stifled, etc.

While at first, dating someone from another culture is more interesting, in the long run it is hard. Chosing which country you will wind up in, (where are the parents? where is your work/career, etc). Also, the things you thought were so great about foreignness can lead to a breakdown in understanding.

If you want to make a foreign coupling last long-term, I think it's best, if you date someone from another country, that you learn their language, live in their country for a while, so you have a better idea of their expectations and life experiences. And being able to live in their country, if only for a visit, helps them to not get homesick for the things about their culture which they can't replace.
 toomuch13
Msg: 30
Posted: 6/9/2008 11:44:13 AM
Well, my father is French and truly European. I want to retire in Italy and my best friends live over there. I feel at home in Greece and Italy. I have never had that same feeling in the U.S. even though I am born here. My best ex-boyfriends were Italian and Greek. We parted as friends and very well.

I know more about Greece and Italy then they do!
 thatswhatshesaid
Msg: 31
Posted: 8/10/2008 4:16:22 PM
Celts are always welcome in Boston :)

Without them, I might be forced to date americans :(
 whothehellknows
Msg: 32
Posted: 12/21/2008 2:27:34 AM
I prefer dating women from other countries. I almost always find them to be more interesting in their conversation and general outlook on the world. Many Americans have a very sheltered and misguided view of the world and our place in it. Most of the foreign women I have met could not tell me who won 'Dancing With The Stars' if their life depended on it, and I like it that way.
 daigle87
Msg: 33
Posted: 12/21/2008 9:31:38 AM
i havent ever dated an american woman, although my sister is married to an american guy and he seems pretty nice. I wouldn't mind having the dual citizenship haha. i dont there are to many differences between american people and canadians from the people i've met in both places.
 grkboy
Msg: 34
Posted: 12/21/2008 1:42:14 PM
HAH! The tables have turned!

Now all those fat selfish spoiled entitled American women can wake up in their 30s and wonder why all the good men are marrying Eastern bloc hotties who worship the ground those men walk on!

Serves em right...they deserve it for feminism. Maybe they'll staighten up and know their place now.

JUST KIDDING...SERIOUSLY.

I think those who are more into European and other non-American men or women aren't as much about someone from a foreign land, but more into someone who just was raised differently.

It's about people's taste in the mannerisms and lifestyle of a potential mate. Some men or women are into men or women who like to drink beer, watch football, and maybe go to action movies and slapstick comedies. They might like the person who drinks normal coffee over lattes or herbal teas. They believe they should be out of their parent's home at age 18 and see Vegas as a great trip.

Others though maybe like the herbal tea drinker, or the person who takes espresso in a tiny cup and sips it, rather than load it with steamed milk and flavors. They love to travel to foreign countries, talk about foreign civilizations, and see new things they haven't seen before. They might believe that a person should move out of their parents' home when they are ready, or when they marry someone. They might like hockey or soccer over football, and perhaps the opera.

People come in many shapes, sizes, and lifestyles. I think those who crave a more "international" mate might be thinking "they see things realistically" but others just love maybe the European lifestyle or some other country's general lifestyle...and want someone like that. Maybe she wants the distinguished gentleman who opens the door for her and would see an opera. Maybe he wants the lady who doesn't crave bad men and will be a happy wife and homemaker.

I do forewarn though those who rush off to Europe or somewhere like that, looking for a mate, that they should also know it's not a continent full of Stepford wives with accents, or David Beckhams. I've seen several Greek men in my community run off to Greece looking for a wife, but only finding that while they did meet more women interested in them, most of them wouldn't leave Greece for anything, and some would only leave if the man had loads of money and thus would give her a life of luxury.

To me it's not an "Americanized VS Foreign" kind of thing, but more just seeing each person individually and deciding what you want. My GF may come from Europe, but she's been here for over 10 years and thus has a mix of European upbringing with Westernized inner strength and thinking. God bless her too. :)
 toomuch13
Msg: 35
Posted: 1/8/2009 10:12:06 PM
"They love to travel to foreign countries, talk about foreign civilizations, and see new things they haven't seen before. They might believe that a person should move out of their parents' home when they are ready, or when they marry someone. They might like hockey or soccer over football, and perhaps the opera."

This is very true. It is also a different values system in Europe compared to the U.S. ; at least in the countries I favor. They look at marriage and families much differently than the U.S. The divorce rate in Italy was 10% in 2002! In the U.S., it goes between 52% to 48%.

There is also more love of the arts and living that you do not really feel in the U.S. They value education just for its own sake, not just for career advancement. It is an all round different vibe.
 valenciacityx
Msg: 36
Posted: 5/8/2011 8:59:02 PM
you would be a fool to ever assume that a Russian woman or Ukrainian woman is 'docile, subservient or timid'
Could be that the guy served in the military for most of his youth and when he got out and got back there was NOTHING of american women that was interesting.... because wait for it.... you couldnt have a conversation with them because of the barriers they put up from hello. I wouldnt say they frigid, but I aint hanging around long enough to submit a global 'warming' climate report on them either.
Could also be that they have a degree in international studies, speak the language, value the culture, and share something in common with the foreign women.....

Its supply and demand. If you arent in demand in your local back water fishing hole; get your visa, passport, plane ticket and get out. Quit trying to line cast catch a marlin in your swimming pool.
happier abroad, and since I am pathetic and desperate, you wont miss me anyways.... but the tide is swelling behind me, you are going to notice the vacuum soon enough, its already happening on college campuses, the bars are next.
Men are opting out, and happier for it. overseas
 bimmerdude
Msg: 37
Posted: 5/9/2011 10:28:52 PM
To the OP, I have dated both foreign and American women and overall foreign women have been a lot better in my experience. I dated women from Eastern Europe, Asia, and Latin America as well as plenty of American women. I guess thats why my luck has fared better with foreign women in terms of dating experiences. Not saying that all American women are bad or that all foreign women are great, there are good and bad- just based on my dating experiences and past relationships. I also speak several languages which helps a lot with foreign women and learn a lot about their history and cultures.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Dating International,Is It the Best?