Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mogrl
Msg: 10
6 week theoryPage 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
no way will you get to know a person in weeks,its more like years..if then
 tdh46
Msg: 12
6 week theory
Posted: 3/24/2007 8:51:49 PM
If it only took 6 weeks to truly get to know someone the divorce rate would be alot lower. It takes a lifetime to truly know your partner, hopefully they keep suprising you the entire time. Keeps the relationship fresh.

Six weeks does not ever scratch the surface of getting to know anyone. That theory is full of holes.
 chuchurillo
Msg: 16
view profile
History
6 week theory
Posted: 3/24/2007 9:51:56 PM
Living it up, I'll go one better. I think that if you've figured out someone in 6 months, that still isn't very long.
I'm 34, I'll be alive and kicking for at least (i hope) for another 30, learning something about your partner then should still be happening.
Just my thought on it.
 betterlate
Msg: 19
view profile
History
6 week theory
Posted: 3/24/2007 10:18:53 PM
I heard it is 90 days solid.... nobody can keep up the "act" for that long...
BL
 crystalise
Msg: 20
6 week theory
Posted: 3/24/2007 10:19:14 PM
Do you mean well enough to consider a relationship with them etc?? or to continue dating or both

I would say that sounds ok. For me to get them well enough to start considering that the relationship may or may not go anywhere I would stretch it twice that aka the 3 month period which some people also refer to as the honeymoon period.

Thats when the newness starts to wear offf a little, routine starts to kick in, by this time [ hopefully] any little nasties will have come to the surface of the romance bubble...so I would go with 3 months

I agree with other posts knowing someone really well in facets of their character takes a lot longer so Im going with that you mean enough to consider being with them in the first place
 JWA
Msg: 25
6 week theory
Posted: 3/25/2007 4:38:08 AM
These "theory" things as well as "rules" that are posted here occasionally really are funny---and not in the Ha Ha way, either!!

It seems too many are eager to take one or two situations (at most) and draw the most perposterous conclusions from them----and then go about spreading it around as though it's universally valid or effective. I wonder if this sort of speculation doesn't obscure the real process of getting to know someone? Maybe it's important or necessary for some people to have devices like this in order make sense of things they try reading too much into initially?

Like has been said here already 6 days, 6 years or 6 centurys isn't enough time if you're not paying attention where 6 minutes is once you have your eyes opened. Too often we read here where red flags were noticed early on but yet they were ignored only to be recalled AFTER the do-do hits the fan! Does that take 6 weeks?

Those are my theories!!!
 orchidtigress
Msg: 27
6 week theory
Posted: 3/25/2007 8:20:58 AM
Although I think you more or less can get a general sense of someone within a few weeks and know if a realationship is worth pursuing in a few months, ut does take a lifetime to know someone. If jsut based on 6 weeks- that person could be going though either an up or down time in their life and you would only see that aspect.
 GuitarGuy_
Msg: 29
6 week theory
Posted: 3/25/2007 10:26:26 AM
More like 6 years! LOL
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 46
6 week theory
Posted: 3/26/2007 7:34:01 AM

I have a theory, that basically states that you don't really know a person well enough until you have known them for approximately 6 weeks. In my opinion, people don't really change after a short period of time, they just get accustomed to you and stop trying to impress you so much after that much time. I am curious as to how many others can interpret this as something of worth, or blow my theory out of the water.
Thoughts/comments?

In my opinion you can know someone for years and count on absolutely nothing. So for me 6-8 weeks you're getting the extreme basics at best.
 TheOneWho_
Msg: 52
6 week theory
Posted: 3/27/2007 4:00:21 PM
6 weeks? It's a theory with some merit. It does get past the initial impression and into "regular" behavior.

I believe you can see a whole lot about a person when they are under stress. For instance:
Many years ago I met a wonderful woman. We met when I was a Divemaster in the Florida Keys. On this day I had the biggest scare (emergency) I had yet seen. There were 3 large classes of new divers taking their first open water dives on board, and one gentleman was having difficulty. He had apparently passed out on the way down, and the assistant instructor brought him back up. The man was gray, having difficulty breathing, and generally not doing well. As the Divemaster (I worked for the boat, not the group of divers or their instructors), I decided to step in and call an emergency. Another of the group's instructors who was topside at that time should have handled the situation, though he was doing his best to ignore the problem. I recall that the woman I met (one of the many students) was quite capable, competent, and very helpful... all while staying out of the way. I still remember being quite impressed, even though I didn't know what she looked like (I was otherwise occupied).
We talked later, got to know each other just a bit, and exchanged contact information. We met again a couple months later, then kept in touch by writing over the next couple years. After joining the Navy, I requested a duty station withing driving distance of where she lived.

Over the next five years we had a wonderful relationship, and it all started because we each noticed how the other acted under stress in an emergency.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >