Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 IgniteLife
Msg: 4
anxiety and medication/natural helpPage 3 of 2    (1, 2)
I've had problems with anxiety for 8 years and the biggest issue for me is something called "ANTICIPATORY ANXIETY". With that said I have had a few all out panic attacks and now I just avoid those places or things I was doing when they happend....Thats what hurts the most. example. I just missed the birth of my first and only nephew.

The second I found out they were haveing a baby...I feared going there. Yea 9 months of anticipatory anxiety..It is sooooooo stupid...I should be happy for them and not worried about my BS....Never knowing if I was going to have a panic attack, just couldnt bring myself to take the chance. I did drive to the hospital.

As far as a "cure" or a way to "conquer" it is as simple as not thinking about it so much SIMPLE.......RIGHT..........

I have plenty of examples all not unlike this one that only people with a problem like mine would understand. Its not the hospital, its the risk that its happed there before and it might again that has destroyed my life.

I wish the best to anyone who has anxiety problems...Good luck.
 johnlvs2run
Msg: 5
view profile
History
breathing practice
Posted: 3/28/2007 11:23:58 PM
Good breathing practice can help to overcome these things, by maintaining the balance between oxygen and carbon dioxide.

Breathing too much o2 and washing out co2 buffers is a major problem with asthmatics and panic attacks. Panic attacks are mostly caused by improper breathing that upsets the o2 : co2 balance in the body. Notice people having panic attacks and they are breathing way too fast and overloading their bodies with oxygen. Asthmatics breathe 5 to 6 times the o2 of a normal healthy person who is breathing correctly. The body shuts down to keep the imbalance from continuing and save the person from dying. Notice when asthmatics and those with panic attacks get exhausted from the overbreathing and stop is when they recover.

I had asthma from age 3 to 5 and got rid of it on my own. My idea was to compress my lungs as much as possible and that this might open them up when I breathed normally. I tried this, blowing all the air out out out out out of my lungs, out out out out, then breathing normally and it worked. I practiced this all through grade school, never had asthma again and never any medications. Later on I practiced holding my breath which is another good remedy. You're not going to be overbreathing when you're holding your breath. Anyway, holding your breath and then breathing normally is good practice.

You can look up a method that is similar to mine and that helps to explain what is happening by looking up "buteyko breathing", or "diving breathing" on google. I have a great link that explains the process very well but am not sure if it is acceptable to post links on here. Practicing proper breathing can help to get rid of asthma, sleep apnea, and panic attacks.
 dknickerbocker
Msg: 6
anxiety and medication/natural help
Posted: 4/17/2007 1:11:35 PM
If you want to go natural you could try L-Theonine.... it is naturally occurring in green tea and can be purchased in suppliment form... Breathing can also help, as does congnitive therapy...

There are other meds such as low doses of seroquel and visteril which can help with anxiety... stay away from benzos( zanex, valium, klonopin, ) they are highly addicting and end up making people more anxious in the end... Talk with your doctor about these options...
The L-theonine is pretty harmless and is worth a try... I know some folks it works for !

Good Luck !

DK
 Flyers_Phan
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2007 3:00:40 PM
stay away from benzos( zanex, valium, klonopin, ) they are highly addicting and end up making people more anxious in the end

if anything, i'd be telling people to stay away from antipsychotics such as seroquel. I mean, one suffering from anxiety is not pychotic, so i see no need to be on that kind of pill. I was on it because I couldn't sleep, it works well at that, but even at low doses, ya get the zombie effect, at least for me it did. Not to mention the potential to develop tardive dyskinesia from antipsychotic drugs, although it is much more rare with the atypical antipsychotics. As for the word of warning on the benzos, the tendency for abuse amongst people taking them for anxiety is mush less because typically we are given prescriptions for short term use, usually under 10mg. And the reason abuse does happen, for people prescribed benzos is because after time, they require a higher dose to get the same effect as a low does once had. As long as their is a thought out plan by your doctor, the chance for abuse is small, but still a possibility.

I've been on xanax for a few years now, some weeks I can go without it at all, other times i must take one or 2 pills a day. I'm not advocating pills but in the instance of antipsychotics vs benzos, I'd say benzos win.

Look into cognitive behavioral therapy, its is highly effective in treating anxiety related issues.
 dknickerbocker
Msg: 8
Posted: 4/17/2007 6:36:14 PM
^^^
Seroquel while originally developed as an anti-psychotic is used to treat several disorders.... depending on the dose.. At high doses(800 mg or so) i is used for psychosis; at around 500-600mg it is used as a second line mood stabalizer; and at low doses (between 12.5 and 150 mg it is used for anxiety.... In fact I see it used much more for anxiety at around 50 mg (25 is the lowest dose; 1 pill) than I do for psychosis.... In fact I've had patients take as little as 12.5 (half a pill) without being drowsey .. Youu are right though... at higher doses it can be very sedating... but again I am talking VERY LOW doses for anxiety...

regarding benzos... some people do fine with them.... particularly if you are just using them PRN (periodically for acute anxiety) .. the problem is when people take them as a standing, daily medication... Tolerance builds up very quickly... detoxes, rehabs, and inpatient psychiatric unts are filled with folks who have become addicted to benzos... if not properly detoxed people can DIE from the withdrawal symptoms, which include seizures.

DK
 dknickerbocker
Msg: 10
Posted: 4/19/2007 4:21:53 AM
Cogntive-Behavioral therapy is the treatment of choice for anxiety disorders; particularly panic attacks.... Meds will only take the edge off... whether psychotropic or herbal... If you want to try something herbal for general anxiety I'd say give L-Theonine a try..... But always check with your doc first... there are docs out the who have sub-specalities in alternative medicine.

Good luck !

DK
 dknickerbocker
Msg: 13
Posted: 4/19/2007 3:05:08 PM
There are some great self-help books, tapes,, ect out there for managing anxiety.... David Burns book "Feeling Good" is out with a revised addition.... he has tape versions of it as well.... I think he has a website as well.... do some online searchers for cognitive self help training for anxiety.... There are workbooks and training tapes where you can teach yourself basic strategies for managing panic attacks and other forms of anxiety

Take Care

DK
 Crash1967
Msg: 17
Posted: 11/8/2007 7:17:58 PM
First to quote Krishnamurti -
"anybody who feels well adjusted in todays society has nothing to brag about."

I also second St. Johns Wort but only in tincture form. The capsulated herb is crap and takes a long time to work. The tinc will pass the blood-brain barrier much quicker and develop a good serum level in your blood stream way faster. It's also easy to make and pretty readily available.
 soul 2 soul
Msg: 19
Posted: 11/17/2007 9:01:02 PM
I suffered from panic and anxiety attacks for many years when I was younger. They can be a scary and disturbing thing to go through. I liken it to the act of driving a car at 90 miles an hour blindfolded. It feels like at any moment something is going to go terribly wrong, but you don't know what. Except your body is not moving. A very strange sensation indeed. I decided that I did not want to go the route of pharmaceutical drugs as I felt there might be another way. So I explored many other natural options including: herbal remedies, aromatherapy, yoga, meditation, pranayama, hypnosis, acupuncture, reiki, feng shui, and self-help books. I found that the practice of meditation helped me the most, but it may take an individual various therapies over many months or years to achieve desired results. It can take time to get to the root of the condition, as the condition did not appear overnight it may also not be remedied overnight. I am happy to say that I have never taken any medication for the treatment of panic and/or anxiety attacks.
I notice many people in this discussion talking about medication and herbs. It has become evident that the pharmaceutical companies have done an excellent job in conditioning the public to believe that health and wellness comes in the form of a pill.
Everyone's talking about what they can take to make the symptom go away, without asking the question; "what caused the symptom in the first place?" Think of it this way. You don't have anxiety because you have a Paxil deficiency just as you do not have a headache because you have an aspirin deficiency. You have anxiety because you are not in the state of balance. Now let's think of it another way. If you're driving in your car and the oil light came on, you wouldn't think to yourself "Gee, I'll just reach under the dashboard and unscrew the lightbulb." That's just treating the symptom. You would check the oil or take it to an auto mechanic to be looked at. The symptom of anxiety is your body's way of telling you something within you is not functioning properly.
Don't get me wrong however, I believe medications have their place. Heaven forbid you fall off a ladder and puncture a kidney, don't go to an herbalist. Get thyself to an emergency room and have them use whatever drugs and surgery that are at their disposal to save your life. Then after that you might want to go to an herbalist and get on a detox program to counter act the side effects of the drugs.
Something people do not realize about drugs is that they are either coal or petroleum-based which is highly toxic to the body. Why do you think all of the labels have warnings that say; "may cause liver damage"? The liver is one of the main organs of detoxification in the body and if it gets clogged up you're going to have trouble. Your body cannot break down coal or petroleum-based substances.
Have you ever asked your doctor "what is the cause of anxiety?" I suggest you try it sometime. It will be interesting to hear the response. I remember years ago asking my meditation teacher "why do I feel anxious?" His response was, "I don't know because I am not you. You should go within to find answers and meditate on it." I came to many realizations during that time such as: my self-esteem was based on how hard I worked and I thought that if I just worked really hard I was a good person. As you may have guessed this caused a lot of inner turmoil. No matter how hard I worked it was never good enough and I always felt like I had to be doing something. No amount of drugs in the world can fix that. I was a workaholic who worked long hours, never took vacations, and had poor time management skills. No wonder I felt anxious. Now I live a much more balanced life.
I would like to encourage people that if their condition is not life-threatening, that they consider natural Holistic (the whole person - body, mind, and spirit) care. If however you have exhausted all of these options and none of them have worked, drugs may be your last resort.
Personally I believe that anxiety is not something that needs to be conquered, but rather something that needs to be healed. In the words of my meditation teacher "more hugs and less drugs". B well...
 m409998m1
Msg: 20
Posted: 11/20/2007 9:20:39 AM
Serotonin re-uptake inhibitors are dangerous to get off of. They can actually cause more depression episodes if you stop cold turkey. For years you've been on them and your body has grown accustomed to this external influence of this medication.
If you feel as if you don't need them, go see your DR. Safely weaning off of a medication that controls the pleasure center of the brain can take a long time. It took several weeks to finally adjust you body to this medication; therefore it will take time to stop taking them.

I often wonder if there's an alternative to stress, anxiety, and depression medication. Similarly I wonder if there's something common in our early life vaccinations, or something in the way food is enhanced with preservatives that renders so many people with this affliction?

Millions of people are on all types of medication. It's common and astounding to find out how many of my close friends, family, and co-workers are on some kind of behavioral medication. I too take a very low dose of Lexapro and want to stop taking them.

I've read and am reading about diet and vitamin supplements, specifically the benefits of minerals. Over farming in just the last 200 years have limited the surface of the earth’s minerals that should be in our food. Pesticides, livestock anti-disease inoculations, and feed may play a big role towards this issue also.

I know I've very food sensitive. The amount of salt and preservatives in foods can sway my mood dramatically. Therefore I stay away from those that cause an ill affect.

Quick definition of Serotonin
Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that plays an important role in the regulation of anger, aggression, mood, sleep, sexuality, and appetite. Low levels of serotonin may be associated with several disorders, namely increase in aggressive and angry behaviors, clinical depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), migraine, irritable bowel syndrome, tinnitus, fibromyalgia, bipolar disorder, and anxiety disorders.
 mwmoriarty
Msg: 22
Posted: 11/29/2007 4:44:14 PM
I have had problems with anxiety all my life but didn't know that until recently. I am prescribed a mild dosage of Atavan by my doctor to take when needed but I am trying to instead use a self-help system initiated by Dr A Low. I attend weekly meetings where we give examples of events that bring on the symtoms and help each other 'spot' (point out) how we were able to help ourselves and add more ways we could have applied the principles of this self-help system. The group is non-profit and named Recovery International. We meet on Mondays between 11:30 am and 1:00 pm at the Church on the corner of Maitland and Dundas and on Wednesday evenings from 7:30 pm ~ 8:30 at the Church the corner of Commisioners and Pond Mills. For more info call Jean at 519-455-6664
 Radio Nowhere
Msg: 23
Posted: 2/26/2008 9:30:25 AM
My whole outlook on meds is that they are best used as a vehicle to help you get over the initial hump of whatever is it you'd lile to change yourself. I've suffered from anxiety/panic attacks since I was a young child, and recently had a horrendous bout with them and for the first time, they started to really affect my life. I couldn't think straight, didn't know what was going on with me or what to do to help myself. I did as much research as I could, learned about the sensations associated with it, and took up meditating again after a couple of years not doing it. I also started on anti-depressants (citalopram then prozac - citalopram was better, though). They definately helped me clear my mind so it was easier to focus on what was happening inside me, helped me break through the shell I was trapped inside. But I still had occasional anxiety.

I know some other people who have suffered with anxiety and tried meds, but the thing is you have to take steps to learn to deal with it that don't have to do with meds. While on them, start breathing/relaxation exercises, and condition yourself not to be as anxious. All anxiety attacks really are are your hypothalamous gets set to rest at a high level of awareness, so when you get nervous it gets pushed even higher. You're hypervigilant about any danger that could be around you, inculding having another attack. It's so difficult, and so personal. I know the lonely feeling that accompanies it. But you're the only one who can help yourself, and it can certainly be done. Just don't give up!

Try googling or youtubeing anxiety, even wikipidia some good info.
 Radio Nowhere
Msg: 24
Posted: 2/26/2008 9:36:57 AM
I know this may be a bit trivial...I may have misprinted something in my previous post...not sure if it's hyothalamous or amygdala. I think amygdala, but anyway you get the point....

I just wanted to add, too, after reading a couple of other posts that I would be more than happy to talk to anyone about anxiety, in fact i think it helps meunderstand myself more by relating more personally to other people so please feel free to message me any time, and I check this site more often than is probably healthy haha, so I can probably get back to you pretty quickly...
 cripple1
Msg: 25
Posted: 2/27/2008 8:16:01 AM
Hey I had some problems with anxiety a few years ago. Mine came out a lot more with my depression so maybe it wasn't as rooted as yours is. Anyways something I found really helpful was breaking down the things I got unbelievably anxious about into similar things that I'd be less anxious or not at all. Basically I'd just work my way up. Start with the things that bring a few of the symptoms and keep doing it until they go away, then move up to the next level. It worked well for me. Also found Celexa a lot easier to come off after. Good luck!
 screechio
Msg: 26
Posted: 2/27/2008 12:56:51 PM
Serotonin and cortisol levels are highly responsible for anxiety/depression. Some of the keys to changing this have been talked about. Proper nutrition and exercise helps to balance all of the hormones and neurotransmitters in your body. Serotonin is the critical factor in controlling your mood and often people only think about serotonin being synthesized in the brain. However serotonin is also synthesized in the digestive tract which means that anything compromising your digestion in any way will hinder your bodie's ability to properly secrete serotonin. So to combat anxiety/depression:

Number 1 change your diet to focus on what human beings digest quickest and most efficiently (lots of fruits and vegetables, especially fruit).
Number 2 exercise, which reduces stress and releases endorphins and promotes proper cortisol levels.
Number 3 definitely expose yourself to the sun for 20-30 minutes a day. The sunlight is amazing not only for depression but all health issues, it actually supplies energy to every organ of your body, purifies the blood, aids digestion, improves circulation and for depression it soothes your nervous system . Do not use sunblock as you will block out all of the health promoting effects of the sun, just do not stay out in the sun long enough to burn as that is your bodies way of telling you that you overdid it.
Number 4: change your thoughts. You have to start changing what you focus on, instead of thinking about depression and fear you have to be careful of what you think about. It's very important to know that whatever you tell yourself to be true, will become true. Everything starts with a thought, and to change your brain requires you to think about things you want in your life, whatever that is. If you focus and think about stress and anxiety you will become stressed and anxious. If you think about being happy and seeing yourself as happy at every moment you will be just that, so again catch your thoughts. Anytime you think about anxiety or fear or worry change your thoughts to something else immediately.
 hollymackeral
Msg: 27
Posted: 2/28/2008 12:56:18 PM
Regular exercise has been proven to be very helpful in reducing anxiety and depression.

I recommend yoga and it's philosophy of "Calm the body, calm the mind." With a dedicated practice, you may find greater peace.

The breathing techniques taught in yoga can be especially effective against anxiety.
Certain yoga postures promote relaxation; others promote the release of emotions.
 trillium0
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/31/2008 5:49:32 PM
My niece had panic attacks at night. She went to alot of doctors. She finally went to a sleep lab. It turns out she would stop breathing in her sleep. She would wake up and have a panic attack. She had surgery, she stopped not breathing in her sleep and her panic attacks stopped cold. I don't know if this is at all common but I thought I would mention it.
 redwood34
Msg: 29
Posted: 4/1/2008 2:04:10 PM
I have suffered from depression and social anxiety for most of my life. Drugs seemed to do much more harm than good. The sexual side effects alone were unacceptable to me. Perhaps if I were a monk with no sex life and no interest in sex, or a eunuch, then maybe those drugs wouldn't have been as bad. I feel, as others have said, that natural methods are better than drugs to alleviate the problem. Omega 3 fatty acids can help alleviate depression, not sure if thats been mentioned yet. Something that helped me with anxiety is deep breathing and meditation. Of course you can't do that just anywhere, you can really only do it when you have some level of privacy.
Something I would also like to add, if I can't get enough sunshine(most people don't), I at least make sure I am getting at least 1000 I.U. a day of vitamin D.
Something else I think thats worth mentioning is hormonal imbalances can potentially cause psychological problems, so get your hormones checked(and get it in detail, don't just test plain testosterone and estrogen, get free testosterone and DHT checked and estrone, estriol and estradiol checked.
One other thing, I think mercury poisoning can cause psychological problems, from eating too much seafood(such as tuna)or from mercury amalgam fillings(often called "silver filling which are around 50% mercury). When I can afford it, I am going to an IAOMT fully accredited dentist and have them removed and replaced with a safer type of filling(which is the best and safest alternative, I am unsure) Check these links for more info
http://www.newswithviews.com/Mary/starrett6.htm
http://www.iaomt.org/articles/files/files193/The%20Case%20Against%20Amalgam.pdf
http://toxsci.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/81/2/354
 satx78218
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2008 4:15:29 PM
I mentioned in the other thread the ancient ayurvedic herbal ashawaganda.

I keep reading reports where very healthy diet and lots of exercise helps a lot people as much as any drugs. I'm sure you've seen that. Certainly can't hurt.

I don't have anxiety/panic attacks, but if my glucose gets too low, I really feel bad, lots of negative, black thoughts. I'm feel rough, uncomortable, agitated (baby wants feeding!). Sometimes even light-headed. This happens with no hunger signals. When it sneaks up, it takes me a while to figure it out. Getting the glucose up with a handful of fruit or other food is a very clear and fairly rapid relief, minutes. You absolutely don't want high glycemic intake (sugar, candy, white bread, softdrinks, donuts, alcohol) at that point, since it will send the glucose way up rapidly, which is preparing for a crash. We all feel better after a good meal than before, huh? That's glucose.

So I'd say eating well to stabilize glucose, no big peaks/troughs. Glucose normally varies all day. Cinnamon powder and fenugreek seed powder are two herbals that supposedly help stabilize (not suppress) glucose.

If you're having a bad moment, it might be interesting to check your glucose with a glucose meter. If your glucose is 60-70 or lower, that could be part of the problem, maybe a trigger. Have a few strawberries, canteloupe, honey melon, mango, guava.

I also suggest trying to eat so your more alkaline that acidic.
 finallyback
Msg: 31
Posted: 5/18/2008 12:22:11 PM
Hello Soulbaby

I can tell about my experiences with social anxiety and how I finally got my mind to kick the habit! Yes habit!

I could get into how against the pharmaceutical companies I am, but that I believe won't help you. What I can tell you is DRUGS are not the answer. Society is getting shaped into a mindset sickness and disease. Whatever problem (no matter how tiny) a person has, it's automatically declared some kind of disease. If you can believe it a desease label was trying to be pushed on the symptoms of caffeine withdrawl! hahaha. That's funny!

What you need is to find out what triggers your anxiety. Whether it's a phobia of people, men, women, cats, dogs, new surroundings, etc. In my case it ended up being social. The minds a stringe thing, when you think negative thoughts long enough on a particular subject like people, it eventually becomes second nature or a habit. You have to replace these bad thoughts with good ones. You need to put effort into reconditioning the negative into positive. I did this through self-discovery, meditation and self hypnosis. Trust me it works! You might think anxiety is focused at just the target topic like people, but it's focused primarilily on how you think of yourself. You must learn to ACCEPT yourself. This sounds corny but LOVE YOURSELF above all others. When you get your mind used to these positive signals, it will become HABIT!

Good luck Soulbaby

Your friend

FinallyBack ;-)
 satx78218
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 5/18/2008 11:53:44 PM
Anxiety has biochemical results, all negative.

Cortisol, serum lactate, etc are elevated.

Like all hormones, cortisol is very powerful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortisol

One of the first lab studies of TM was to show that TM caused blood lactate to plummet within a couple minutes of starting to meditate. Brain waves of various frequencies went up in intensity, left/right lobes synchronized, and waves spread from the back of head forward. The same kind of results as Zen monks of 20-years practice, but better!

So if anxiety is pushing up your lactic acid, then eating an alkalizing diet would help to neutralize the acid and perhaps reduce the anxiety.

Anxiety and depression are of course related. They've shown that anti-depressants work no better than placebo for 98% of people.

Therapists have begun to treat these mood disorders by recommending aerobic exercise, which really works. Aerobic exercise causes lactic acid as muscles metabolize glucose from the liver but a healthy, fit body, specifically the liver, quickly metabolizes the lactic acid to glucose, stored again in the liver as glycogen.

" The increased lactate produced can be removed in a number of ways including
* oxidation to pyruvate by well-oxygenated muscle cells which is then directly used to fuel the citric acid cycle
* conversion to glucose via the Cori cycle in the liver through the process of gluconeogenesis."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactic_acid

And of course, exercise (and meditaiton) helps you sleep better, longer, and that's always good. Pranayama (breath) also helps.

Shallow breathing, using only part of the lungs, weak diaphram and thoracic muscles, inhibits full CO2 exhaust, so CO2 can be too high. CO2 causes the blood to be ... acidic. Fit, full-capacity lungs expel CO2. Plenty of oxygen in, all the CO2 out.

yawn, same ol' same ol', diet and exercise fix (and prevent) just about everything.

"DRUGS are not the answer"

yep. natural stuff, herb and plants like raw chocolate, ashwaganda:

http://www.healthmegamall.com/prodView-Life-Extension-Optimized-Ashwagandha-Extract-Stimulant-Free-60-vegetarian-capsules_p19663_aff1574.htm

natural medicines are still medicines. Better:

"Let food be thy medicine, let medicine be thy food" - Hippocrates
 AAuroraAA
Msg: 36
Posted: 5/21/2008 11:02:49 AM
Bach Flower remedies are awesome for things like this. Particularly the blend called Rescue Remedy. For more info see: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/724765/treating_anxiety_disorders_with_bach.html

These are safe to use with other medications.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >