Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 tinapenny
Msg: 262
what girls like and dislike in mens profilesPage 9 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
Nothing wrong with reviving an old thread if you've got something to add to the discussion, just as ginger said there aren't enough opinions/insights/thoughtful research that lead to discussion
 qldblue
Msg: 263
what girls like and dislike in mens profiles
Posted: 5/4/2012 4:03:22 AM
From memory this thread also started a counter thread titled what guys like and dislike in women's profiles and that thread produced the same comments as this thread but most of all the majority of posters stated that people using text shorthand was a big turn off.

I agree to the point that correct or as correct grammer and spelling does have a better chance of getting your message across.
 gingerosity
Msg: 265
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2012 3:21:16 AM

Topless pics of themselves when they... have bigger tits than I do...

I don't see a problem with that in a profile. (Don't worry about context. Its over-rated.)

why do I want to see a pig you've shot or a fish you've caught?

Me good hunter-gatherer. You Jane.
 internetdatinglol
Msg: 266
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2012 5:35:23 AM
People who are too lazy to write a few short sentences about themselves and instead mash their keyboard until they fulfill the requisite number of characters. Seriously lazy.

People who write "if you want to know anything about me, just ask!". No.

Single parents who say their son/daughter/brood "is my world". I see this exact wording in about 70-80% of the single parent profiles I see, come up with something original.

People who list the races of people they don't want to be contacted by. Some things are best left unsaid and this always makes you look like a racist bogan if you choose to include it.

Pictures of someone holding alcohol. Hard to pull this off without looking like an alcoholic. It definitely doesn't automatically evoke sophistication.

Pictures of a car. Not a person WITH a car, just a car. What the fuck.

I have lots more, but I'll come back to it later. If you want to know more just ask!;)
 Sheridesmotox
Msg: 267
Posted: 5/11/2012 12:25:45 AM
Dislike - Men that complain about women, or have an issue with somebody not replying.

Like - Men that like extreme sports

Dislike - Men who only have photos of there body

Like - Goals
 gingerosity
Msg: 268
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2012 2:04:39 AM
Like - Women

Ambivalent about - most other stuff

Dislike - whatever I've left out
 tensail
Msg: 269
Posted: 5/11/2012 2:29:24 AM
i dont care wat vey like or wAt vey dont, only insecure aproval seekers ( boys) would!
 robertaus
Msg: 272
Posted: 8/29/2012 5:09:51 AM
I'm baffled:
This thread is titled "what girls like and dislike in mens profiles".

The last three posts have been:

Women don't know wtf they want.

"I want a nice guy who will treat me right", then goes out with the biggest douchebag on the block and keeps coming back for more after being treated like trash....

If you are a guy and take advice from a female then that's exactly why you can't find a girl.

His sister must have gave him some bad advice.If not he must be high or sexually frustrated.

It seems to me most women dislike real men!!

Is he implying he is a real man? Once again he might be high or sexually frustrated.

Dude hahahaha you cracked me up..soon as i gotta dope VY commodore startin working fly in fly otu all of a sudden i was appealing to woman...

materilistic pieces of shit ahhahahaa

Ah the classic Commodore theory.Must not have worked. Must have got high and trashed it.

Conclusion: All the Male Youth of Australia are high all the time or they are sexually frustrated.

If they are high all the time we can forgive them (hec I was young once).However if they are sexually frustrated then it is probably not a good idea to make inane posts in a thread so titled.
 Hilly02
Msg: 273
Posted: 8/29/2012 5:48:43 AM

soon as i gotta dope VY commodore startin working fly in fly otu all of a sudden i was appealing to woman...

materilistic pieces of shit ahhahahaa

Don't reckon there is a Commodore big enough actually!
 lyingcheat
Msg: 275
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2012 7:54:38 AM

Now, the forum gets filled with cut and paste rants from Wikipedia, rather than playful banter.

Yes, and I missed the generic platitudes and meaningless cliches too, so it's nice to see they're making a comeback.
 tinapenny
Msg: 276
Posted: 8/30/2012 10:57:59 AM
I am impressed by a show of intelligence and humour in profiles AND in forum posts. We used to have both. Nothing to say there aren't the same people still around...or the same type at least :) If you dont find a particular thread interesting you dont have to follow it.
 kmac6
Msg: 277
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2012 5:27:03 PM
I wish I could start a new thread as I have had more than a few ideas. No idea why I cannot.

As to what I like in a profile.. Something witty without being smutty and charm I seem to fall for that each time. lol.
Self sustaining, permaculture, country lifestyle interests as I am never likely to be a city gal.

Dislike.. " Looking for a GOOD woman". I mean what is that? Good at what? Or where have all the honest women gone? That one bugs me. Or sick of liars and nutcases.. lol.. As if we are all trying to cheat men out of something. I could not be bothered..

Yes I know there are some who will, but it comes from both sides.

I love witty banter and say.."Bring it back".
 aussieblues
Msg: 278
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2012 10:26:54 PM
I dislike seeing anyone, man or woman, post pictures of children on a dating site.
 robertaus
Msg: 280
Posted: 8/31/2012 8:13:55 AM
I have taken the liberty to research the history of Internet dating and in particular the composition of Men's Internet profiles.Now the Ladies can decide what they like and dislike in a man's profile so the information was a bit scant, however I have discovered some information that the Ladies and the Men for that matter may find useful in their valiant quests:

Personal

Internet dating is very relevant in the lives of many individuals world wide[3] A major benefit in the rise of internet dating is the decrease in prostitution. People no longer need to search on the streets to find casual relationships. They can find them online if that is what they desire.[3] Instead of paying for sexual favors and “love” on the streets with the risk of being arrested, publicly humiliated, or catching sexually transmitted diseases, internet dating websites offer matchmaking services for people to find love or whatever else they may be looking for. The creation of the internet and its progressive innovations have opened up doors for people to meet other people who they may very well have never met otherwise.[3]

Dating website innovations

Although the availability of uploading videos to the internet is not a new innovation, it has been made easier since 2008 thanks to Youtube. Youtube began the surge of video streaming sites in 2005 and within three years, smaller web developers started implementing video sharing on their sites. Internet dating sites have benefitted greatly since the surge in easiness and accessibility of picture and video uploading.[4] Videos and pictures are equally important for most personal profiles. These profiles can be found on sites used for interpersonal relationships other than dating as well. Sites such as Ashley Madison and Sugardaddy.com are popular places where people can go for more casual and sexual online encounters. "The body, although graphically absent, does not have to be any less present."[4] Older and less advanced sites usually still allow, and often require, each user to upload a picture. Newer and more advanced sites offer the possibility of streaming media live via the user's profile for the site. The inclusion of videos and pictures has become almost a necessity for sexual social networking sites to maintain the loyalty of their members.[4] It is appealing to internet users to be able to view and share videos, especially when forming relationships or friendships.

Who uses online dating sites

Previously, only "desperate" and "nerdy" people were thought to turn to the internet to search for love. According to an article in the New York Times, mediated matchmaking has been around since the mid 1800s.[5] Online dating was made available in the mid 1990s, with the creation of the first dating sites.[6] These dating sites, such as lavalife.com, Jiyuan, Zoosk, BharatMatrimony, eHarmony, PlentyofFish, Match.com, and hundreds of others create a space for liberation of sexuality. According to Sam Yagan of , "the period between New Year's Day and Valentine's Day is [our] busiest six weeks of the year".[5] Changes that online dating companies have created include not only the increase of pickiness in singles, but the rise in interracial marriages and spread the acceptance of homosexual individuals. Dating sites "are a place where sexual minorities, inter-sexed people and gay people are enjoying a newly found freedom".[6] Several studies have shown the availability of online dating to produce a greater closeness and intimacy between individuals because it circumvents barriers that face-to-face interactions might have. "Participating in personal relationships online allow for almost full freedom from power relations in the offline/real world."[4]
An online user can be whoever they want to be at that exact moment. They have the ability to venture outside of their comfort zone and act as someone completely different.
.............Wikipedia.

Hope this helps
 tinapenny
Msg: 282
Posted: 9/2/2012 9:05:46 AM

An online user can be whoever they want to be at that exact moment. They have the ability to venture outside of their comfort zone and act as someone completely different.
Well, that would be my number one worst problem with a profile, ie if its actually fake. I like people to be real, to be self-aware grown ups that are ok with who they actually are. Playing games for fun, knowingly, is one thing, but people who play games because they're trying to build themselves or because it fulfills some psychological need at the expense of others are a worry.

Honesty is one of the most basic requirements of true intimacy. Being honest with yourself is a start.
 Hilly02
Msg: 283
Posted: 9/4/2012 2:48:39 AM
"My kids will ALWAYS come first"....the always must be in capitals. Well go f*ckin play with them and quit bothering me then!
 robertaus
Msg: 284
Posted: 9/4/2012 4:54:19 AM
^^^^^^^Some good points there really.I really think us males should enlist a female to write our profiles.The Profile Review forum is funny sometimes.A male asks for a review and the women are trying to help then the male gets stroppy about the smallest critiscism.
Don't think us males would be good at writing a profile on behalf of a girl though.For one we would insist on a revealing cleavage shot.We wouldn't let you post a photo in your bathroom because if the dunny seat is up in the background we get suspicious.
 kmac6
Msg: 285
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2012 6:07:40 AM
^^^^^^^^ Ha ha ha ha ....Well said.
 SuzzieGal
Msg: 287
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2012 7:26:20 AM
A guy who has a general sense of grammer, spelling and punctuation!
Also someone who has actually put in effort and not just done the basic's or spammed a page just to reach the minimum amount of words.

A sence of humour is always a plus :)
 CRKid
Msg: 289
Posted: 9/28/2012 11:37:30 AM
OH PLEASE, LET'S GET REAL......YOU'D BE BORED IN NO TIME. LIFE IS A CHALLENGE, AND WITHOUT IT WHAT'S LIFE WORTH LIVING FOR. GOOD LUCK SEARCHING THE COSMOS. :-)
 qldblue
Msg: 290
Posted: 9/28/2012 8:01:25 PM
Ummmmmmm, I think that is what the women are saying, be real and not your alter fake ego.

I guess that can be applied to both sides
 gingerosity
Msg: 291
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2012 8:52:22 PM

be real and not your alter fake ego.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick
When your alter stops believing in you, you'll cease to exist. But at least your profile will be more popular.
 boyogin
Msg: 294
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2012 10:13:15 AM

I dislike seeing anyone, man or woman, post pictures of children on a dating site

Yea - what is it with that?

I dont care how much you love your kids thats just not right,
Maybe if its to filter out guys who dont like kids? sorry not gonna work. It says in your profile you have 3 (example) so posting pics of them wont filter him out.

if its to attract guys that like kids ----- Um maybe read the book Lolita or if its too thick the 1998 film want a bad telling of the story

as a close second to the worst thing to have in pics - Its having Dudes in the pic - doesnt matter if its your brother/cousin/uncle/dad whatever

here in WA theres something like 50,000 more guys than gals according to the census so the last thing we need to see on a dating site is pics of Dudes

- Rant over-
 boyogin
Msg: 295
view profile
History
Posted: 10/15/2012 10:50:26 PM
The 1962 version of military used a much older lady to avoid controversy.
Even the 1998 version used a 14yo girl and dressed her up younger to play the part
 Velosopeed
Msg: 296
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2012 7:28:19 PM
Have to agree with you Blue, and that goes for both sides of the equation,
yet there are a lot of women out there who are tarred with the exact same brush, as many on here
would like to paint the general male populace with.. So the girls are as guilty as the guys,
Different things appeal to different people. If we were all the same it would be boring,
so just be yourself and speak from you soul and put it down, dont be scared to reveal part of yourself (but not your privates).
LOL. And if you dont do some sort of physical sport you are not athletic, your thin or slim...
and put a recent pic up not only of your head but your body....
Its a 2 way street,,,,
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  >