Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 techgirl27
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Why are women so hung up on a mans height?Page 4 of 17    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)
most guys wont go out with women taller than they are. that's why.

And also, height is a natural, historical factor of potency.....make of that what you will. Thats all I said.
 averageblonde222
Msg: 114
Why are women so hung up on a mans height?
Posted: 10/23/2007 5:49:09 AM
most guys wont go out with women taller than they are. that's why.

I disagree. I know some very tall women who do get a lot of attention from shorter men. Most of them wouldn't date a shorter man because of false stereotypes and their insecurities about height, not because a shorter man is less physically attractive. Some women I know would only date a man that is at least 5 or 6 inches taller than them. I doubt that many men would turn Maria Sharapova because of her height and she is 6' 2".
 Who.Me
Msg: 118
Posted: 10/23/2007 3:54:16 PM
My father was a short man....Napolean Syndrome....
 Who.Me
Msg: 120
Posted: 10/23/2007 6:28:34 PM
cculianu2 -

Come to Florida and make me number 11.....
 brock11
Msg: 129
Posted: 10/24/2007 7:58:06 AM
the desire to feel "ladylike" is an insecurity of said women not a stereotype..

Well actually it can be both a stereotype and an insecurity. If a woman feels more "ladylike" with taller men, then she is implying that taller men are more "masculine" than shorter men. Regardless, it is a pathetic excuse that many women use to reject short men.

get a dictionary with the hooked on phonics and it might help the argument

I would suggest that you should follow your own advice.
 EC22
Msg: 132
Posted: 10/24/2007 9:40:59 AM
It "generally" has nothing to do with insecurity or being shallow. It has to do with what turns us on....period.

I disagree. Look at the various threads about height and read the reasons why many women prefer taller men. Some of the reasons mentioned were false generalizations or did have to with the woman's insecurity. It was a fair amount of women ( not just a few ) who mentioned these reasons. Sometimes it's not necessary the preference itself, it's the reasons for the preference that can be incorrect.
 EC22
Msg: 133
Posted: 10/24/2007 10:12:16 AM
And did it ever cross your mind that they're pulling the reasons out of the air...that they're struggling to understand it themselves? struggling to understand just why they feel generally better and more feminine in the company of a tall man? someone is asking in the topics you're talking about, and they're trying to answer without saying "Because damnit.....that's what turns me all around on!" But that is the fact of the matter regardless of any "reasons" they dig and dig and try to come up with because you (not you specifically) asked.

It makes no sense to state a reason for a height requirement that you don't believe in and think is inaccurate such as "a taller man can protect a woman better". If a woman prefers a man of a certain height and that man is 1-2 inches shorter than that height requirement, how does 1-2 inches makes a man much less physically attractive. You might not be able to tell difference between 1-2 inches.
 tallblonde111
Msg: 137
Posted: 10/24/2007 1:11:39 PM
My height preference is 5'8" - 6'1", but if an incredibly interesting 5'6" guy approaches me my height preference goes right out the window.

I think that's the point that many people were trying to make. I'm 5' 10". I usually prefer men that are my height or taller. Yet I would date a man that is 5' 8" or 5' 7" if he matched most of the other things that I'm looking for. There is a difference between not being attracted to a short man and not dating a short man because of some stereotypical reason. Same thing applies to other physical attributes. If some man wasn't attracted to blondes, then that's fine. If a man wouldn't date blondes because he thinks all blondes are airheads, self centered, snobs etc, then that's a different story.

I stand up for men who only want to date Barbie just as much as I stand up for women who only want to date Adonis.

The men who only want to Barbie usually will turn down a woman because of some nitpicky reason, but then often complain when a woman turns him down for same reason. Same thing applies to the women who only want to date Adonis.
 de4u2
Msg: 153
Posted: 10/24/2007 11:21:08 PM
its old school thinking taller is bigger get it, dont let woman fool you thats the real story
 EC22
Msg: 159
Posted: 10/25/2007 7:47:10 AM
Tallblonde makes some very good points.

I think that's the point that many people were trying to make. I'm 5' 10". I usually prefer men that are my height or taller. Yet I would date a man that is 5' 8" or 5' 7" if he matched most of the other things that I'm looking for. There is a difference between not being attracted to a short man and not dating a short man because of some stereotypical reason.

I can understand that some women are more physically attracted to a taller man. I simply think that a woman should consider dating a man that is 1-2 inches shorter than her ideal height range if she likes a lot of other things about him. My problem is quotes like the one directly below.

This doesn't have to do wtih looks as much as it has to do with feeling secure and protected. If I were with a man shorter than me, how the hell am I supposed to feel secure and protected in his arms as I look down at him? I won't....thats why he needs to be taller than me.

Height has nothing to do with physical attraction for this particular woman. It is all about her insecurity and the false generalization that a taller man can protect her better. Those are the reasons why she wouldn't date a shorter man.

I stand up for men who only want to date Barbie just as much as I stand up for women who only want to date Adonis.

The problem with that is the people who have high and/or unrealistic expectations are often the same people who complain about not finding a date. Can't have it both ways. Most people aren't going to match those expectations. The ones that do are probably already taken or not interested in you.
 brock11
Msg: 171
Posted: 11/4/2007 11:43:03 AM
women aren't the only people hung up about height. A female friend of mine is 6'3 and got a full scholarship to be on the university basketball team. She's been turned down so many times because she's too tall it's not even funny.

Maybe in some cases she was turned down because of another reason besides her height. Like some posters have mentioned earlier, I doubt many men would turn down Maria Sharpanova and she is 6' 2". Most men in various height threads have stated that they would date a taller woman.
 A-New-Beginning
Msg: 173
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2007 4:47:47 PM
Glad you brought this thread up, its a joy to know I'm not the only one going through this lol. But if you think that its a challenge looking for a woman when you are short, try being short, black and looking for interracial dating, and to that being a nice guy and not a thug and then you have my situation. Women often act surprised when they find out that I'm single because some consider me attractive but at 5,7 when the average height for a guy in my area is 5,10-6ft 1in, they look right by me.
I do see some guys that are my height or shorter that have good looking women but they seem to be more that thug type for some reason or another women go for that. When I approach them like a regular human being that wants to strike up a conversation and they hear me speaking good English and see that my pants actually comes up to my waste (where my belt is coincidentally), they see a low hair cut no braids or dreads, and regular teeth not a grill again they look right past me.

I don't sweat it though cause the way I see it, I'm going to be me and if the real me is not the guy they are looking for then they aren't the girl I'm looking for. I know there are good women out there that interested in a man for the content of his character and not just because hes tall or hes a bad boy lol.

PS on a side note I just got out of a relationship with a girl a couple of months back that left me for a taller guy, then she turned around and left him for her original boyfriend who had just gotten out of jail. And one thing that she taught me unintentionally is that it makes no since to fret over these women that do that. It didn't work out with me and her because she had no sense on what the meaning of faithful was. So when the taller guy was dating her she was still unfaithful, when the ex-bo/ex con got out of jail and she went back with him, the main problem they had is with trust because he already knew he couldn't trust her because she has been unfaithful to him so many times. So it makes no since to fret over these ladies that past you up because sometimes the lady that seems to be the key to your happiness is just another door way to even more hard times.
 JazzFan333
Msg: 174
Posted: 11/6/2007 9:39:40 AM
I have never dated a shorter man. It's not because I'm insecure. It's not because I think taller man are more attractive. Since I'm only 5'5", most men will be taller than me. Many men will be significantly taller than me.
 cookinggal111
Msg: 175
Posted: 11/6/2007 9:55:58 AM
Height isn't a major issue for me. I'm 5' 9" and I have dated men of various heights. The tallest man was 6' 3" and the shortest man was 5' 5".
 dsj34
Msg: 179
Posted: 11/21/2007 6:11:13 AM
I have to laugh at this because there are soooo many men's profiles that say something about wanting a petite woman...
So why can't a woman want a tall man?

It is all personal preference!

Like several other posters have mentioned, it's not necessary the height requirement itself. It's the reasons for for it. I would not call a woman "shallow" if stated that she is more physcially attracted to taller men. However the reasons that many women give for dating taller man are false generalizations such as short men being insecure or a taller man can protect her better. A tall man can be very skinny and a short man can be very strong. The short man could have a gun, knife, or some other weapon. Therefore height has nothing to do with protection. As for men's weight requirements. I think most men aren't attracted to BBWs / obese women. It doesn't necessary mean that most men only like thin, petite women.
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 180
Posted: 11/21/2007 10:46:09 AM
As a tall woman, I know most short men don't like ME, not the other way around. I've dated guys from 5'5" to 6'6"--I have to say I PREFER men to be about my own height [5'10"], not significantly taller nor shorter. But only because it's easier to talk to someone, neither of us has to bend our necks. And walking arm in arm is easier if you're about the same height. All other , um, "couples activities" are a wash.
 chuckyB51
Msg: 192
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2008 6:29:24 PM
The answer to the original question simply comes down to a superficial and shallow society.
 Sleepless in Phx.
Msg: 198
Posted: 2/1/2008 8:28:13 PM
It's not simple, but just follow what I'm saying. We, as men ,are taught through media, and our peers what is attractive in a woman. Barbies, celebrities, and models all shape what we view as perfect. And ,of coarse, we want perfect. Women are also programmed as to what a perfect man looks like in the same way. Romance novels don't describe their main characters as under 6 ft. Do they? Women on these site have all been in love before. They fell for Jo Average. The poor musician and artist. If their over 30, their trying to make up for lost time. And, they think computer dating is a grocery list for their perfect man. When they finally give up on their dream, is when they open their eyes to what's really important. Until then, they are naive or ignorant or in denial to the fact that they are as superficial in their quest for love as we are. We men are at an advantage though.Our needs are far more simple than theirs. Ours are more physical, where as, theirs are emotional and far less easily obtained from men. My advice is to find smarter women .The ones who have matured and learned this lesson already. That or catch a young one, before she begins her endoctrination by her mother and fellow classmates. lol
 chuckyB51
Msg: 200
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2008 7:05:11 PM
Wear elevator shoes with a hidden heal on the inside. I wear these and it makes a big difference in social settings. Typically she doesn't know my real height until morning, jokes on her and her superficialness.
 mizbex
Msg: 202
Posted: 2/3/2008 7:58:34 AM
Why are so many short men hung about on their own height? That is the real question. Why do you get so upset about something you can't change? If you don't make it an issue, it won't be an issue.
 northeast25
Msg: 203
Posted: 2/3/2008 8:07:36 AM
Because men are so hung up on a woman's mammaries, ass, face and legs.

Some men might prefer a woman with large breasts, but I don't think many men would turn down a woman that matched the other things he is looking for just because she has small breasts. Many women would turn down a man that is 1-2 inches shorter than her ideal height range even if he matched the other things she is looking for. I don't think most men are looking for a woman with a perfect face/body either.

Why are so many short men hung about on their own height? That is the real question. Why do you get so upset about something you can't change? If you don't make it an issue, it won't be an issue.

If many women reject shorter men due to reasons that are often insulting, then height will always be an issue.
 chuckyB51
Msg: 205
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2008 8:14:13 PM
According to the National Center for Health Statistics, the average height for an adult male in the United States is:

69.2 inches, or
5 feet 9.2 inches
 chuckyB51
Msg: 207
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2008 10:53:11 PM

It's called stupidity. Women believe that a man who is 6'2" has more love to give them than one who is 5'5". They believe that a man who is 6'2" is automatically more attractive than one who is 5'5". They believe that a man who is 6'2" can keep them safer than one who is 5'5".
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  >