Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > BEST ATHLETE RETIRES?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 twinsfan4life
Msg: 16
BEST ATHLETE RETIRES?Page 4 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I'd like to see Tony Hawk try to hit a major league pitcher's fastball.

Every sport has its greatest...

But Joe Montana, best of all time, any sport, then Jordan, Gretzky...
 cuterguy
Msg: 17
BEST ATHLETE RETIRES?
Posted: 6/12/2005 8:34:36 AM
Any of you Mt. bike riders hear of a old company now out of business called Nuke Proof?---I used to make the hubs there.--Lance is not an athlete---he is an animal. I bet he never ate at Pizza Hut though. :)
 cuterguy
Msg: 18
BEST ATHLETE RETIRES?
Posted: 6/12/2005 8:37:39 AM
You guys don't follow this sport---But Motocross has a guy named Ricky Carmichael. the guy has doubled any one elses major champoinships, and he almost has a 80% win average after 8.5 years of pro racing.--He never lost a outdoor title since he turned pro in 97.-Nobody, in any sport in the world has a win ratio like that.--Not Tiger woods, not Mike Jordan--not anybody, Not even master Lance Legstrong.
 cuterguy
Msg: 19
BEST ATHLETE RETIRES?
Posted: 6/12/2005 4:39:16 PM
Hey phillyboy---you have it backwards---anybody can throw a ball. :)

This is a age old American argument. Here in the USA we only recognize three sports mainly.--To me that is close minded.--I can prove with your own children that the sports we play (baseball, basketball, and football) are really boring compared to many other sports.---Lets set up your back yard.---Put a baseball, glove, and bat on the ground---next to those items, put a football on the ground and then next to those items of boredom, place a basket ball on the ground.---Now roll a KTM 50cc dirt bike next to them--and watch which one of the sports your own children are really interested in.---Of course, you can force feed what you want them to do, and they will eventually do it and love it weather they like it or not. :)
 KdOdom7
Msg: 20
BEST ATHLETE RETIRES?
Posted: 6/12/2005 11:08:47 PM
Michael Jordan.
Nuff said. Can Wayne Gretzsky* sell shoes,hot dogs,underwear,gatorade,jerseys, and whatever the heck else Jordan was hocking at us for millions in revenue. NO! Was Wayne great. Hell Yea. the best to ever in Hockey and did a lot for the sport. But Hockey is at best the 4th Major sport in America. Lance Armstrong rode a damn bike once a year and was great at it. Tony Hawk skateborads. Wow! And Nascar drivers aren't TRUE athletes. If they are then so is everyone that drives a car at 5 PM to beat rush our traffic.

JORDAN!
 cuterguy
Msg: 21
BEST ATHLETE RETIRES?
Posted: 6/13/2005 1:06:04 AM
Rode a bike once a year??---LMAO hard as heck. you have no idea how many years of training it takes to get to that kind of shape.

Being hocked for millions in revenue does not say much for the intelligence of the average American IMO--LOL
 GreenEyesAndHam
Msg: 22
view profile
History
BEST ATHLETE RETIRES?
Posted: 6/13/2005 1:18:46 AM
Of course people are going to agree on the best athlete, but there should at least be some constraints on peoples' choices. Popularity obviously (to me, anyway) is completely irrelevant, although I do admit liking Anna Kornikova and Bob Eucker - although for different reasons. Sports started as training for, or simulation of, combat and hunting. For this reason, I say that the 'Best Athlete' award should go to an athlete whose sport involves cunning, skill, determination, endurance, speed and physical peril. Ideally too, they should have to use their whole body. Sadly, this leaves out an enormous quantity of remarkable athletes like Edwin Moses (122 consecutive 400m hurdles victories over 10 years), Tiger Woods, most soccer players, basketball players, speed skaters and a lot of baseball players.

Do you only count international sports like hockey, basketball, wrestling, rugby and soccer - or include localized ones like north american football, Irish hurling, Gaelic football, etc?

Also, the deliniation between difficult activities and sports has to be made; sorry archery, billiards, darts, curling and golf.

If we can include localized athletes, then I know of no better than Joe Montana, quarterback of the San Francisco Forty-Niners. Either way I would include Wayne Gretzky. These two athletes were gentleman, scholars of the game, gifted, athletic, brave, made it look easy and had whole leagues scheming and cheating to try to stop them - usually unsuccessfully. Every game that they played, these two players risked serious injury to make the play - which is something not all athletes have to deal with.

Just my two cents worth...
GE&H
 cuterguy
Msg: 23
BEST ATHLETE RETIRES?
Posted: 6/13/2005 6:59:45 AM
gtrplaya--I think the other cyclist your talking about is Eddy Merkx, but not sure.

Tony Hawk---Yea--I saw him on a knowledge game show (can't remember which one) with some sitck and ball sports icons matching wits. Hawk killed them--lol.
 klrcrsovr
Msg: 24
BEST ATHLETE RETIRES?
Posted: 6/17/2005 1:00:46 PM
Very few people in Europe know who Micheal Jordan is? What? Are you kidding? I love Hawk, he was my fav skater with Christian Hosoi (Christ Air) and Natas when I was a kid. But there is no way that he is more recognizable than Jordan...you ask any skater who jordan is, they'll know. You ask any ballplayer who hawk is, I'd say that maybe 75% might know. Europe is basketball mad!!! They have ten times as many professional teams than we have. I think that's quite the subjective statement there.

But hey, I think it's cool that you like Hawk, regardless.

B
 klrcrsovr
Msg: 25
BEST ATHLETE RETIRES?
Posted: 6/18/2005 2:34:47 PM
I'll tell you who dominated a sport in one period of time like Gretzky...Jim Brown....IN LACROSSE!!!. (and he apparently did ok in football...lol). Still holds the scoring record, even though he just played for excercise. They changed the rules because of him, a la Chamberlain.....
 Walts
Msg: 26
BEST ATHLETE RETIRES?
Posted: 7/3/2005 8:06:01 AM
And to the people who say Gretzky only played one sport,,,,he also played box lacrosse and was wayyyyyyyy better at that than hockey. He also enjoyed lacrosse more than hockey, but hockey just paid a bit more.He did retire at the lacrosse thingy a little early, (age 12 I think,lol) but he was amazing with the lacrosse stick, from my the memories of the goals he scored on me.
 SexyJody76
Msg: 27
BEST ATHLETE RETIRES?
Posted: 8/3/2005 10:54:09 AM
Football:

Roger Staubach, Fran Tarkenton, John Elway, Tony Dorsett, Lynn Swann, Earl Campbell

Baseball:

Cal Ripken, Jr., Carlton Fisk, Willie Mays, Sandy Koufax, Ozzie Smith

Track and Field:

Carl Lewis, Mary Decker-Slaney, Joan Benoit, Evelyn Ashford, Jackie Joyner-Kersee, Lee Evans

Tennis:

Billie Jean King, Chris Evert, Evonne Goolagong, Steffi Graf

Jody
 MPT
Msg: 28
BEST ATHLETE RETIRES?
Posted: 8/25/2005 9:25:05 PM
i have to agree with him...no Barry Sanders? that guy played on a team with no offense, but him. He had a to face defense that stacked the line because he was the only offense and in one year he got 2000 yards rushing.

John Elway over joe montana? Joe is probably consider the greatest QB...that guy had no arm whatsoever and still won 3 superbowls..image if he had talent.

I have to go with the "great one" he dominated the sport more than jordan dominated basketball. When he retired they retired his number in the whole league and they put him in the hall of fame without a waiting period.
 boxman
Msg: 29
BEST ATHLETE RETIRES?
Posted: 8/26/2005 6:45:28 AM
Being the site redneck old guy, I'll vote for Richard Petty. His 200 wins will never be matched in auto racing, if for no other reason, they only run 36 races a year now. What a great present that 200th win at Daytona was. Specially with President Reagan in attendance
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 30
BEST ATHLETE RETIRES?
Posted: 8/27/2005 10:22:20 AM
If a decathlon was held and ALL so called greatest athletes of their respective sports were able to compete in their primes......the winner.......Jim Brown....Sprinter speed,lifter strength/power,great stamina,with agility and finesse.
None of the decathlon winners in the summer games possesed the same combination of those qualities as Jim Brown..of course Jesse Owens would be close simply based on DOMINATION of the sprints and jumping events.
 Sinjia
Msg: 31
BEST ATHLETE RETIRES?
Posted: 8/29/2005 5:49:41 AM
I have only read the first and third pages of this thread... but no one mentioned the best of the best at a decathalon... Bruce Jenner won the 76' Olympics in this hard fought division where it takes a total complete package in TEN events, not one or two.

There are superstarts in every sport... but few make it into other arenas, i.e. Michael Jordon. He's one that should have stayed retired not just from basketball, but the baseball thing was a joke. Several have mentioned Wilt Chamberlin and he was a heck of an athlete, still competing at pro volleyball at like 54 or 55 years of age. In the boxing arena, The great Ali's team refused to fight him. Angelo said no way, no thanks. Too much of a risk.
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 32
BEST ATHLETE RETIRES?
Posted: 8/29/2005 10:54:33 AM
Ali vs Wilt? Oh Please! Spare us!
To the average person who likes to see spectacle an Ali vs Wilt match would be fasctinating.To boxing enthusiast it would have be nothing more than needless spectacle.
Ali vs Big steroid user Lyle Alzado took place for charity and a near 40yo Ali made Alzado like the chump he was to boxing.

Bob Arum was in London with Ali in the mid-1960s when football superstar Jim Brown was there filming a movie. Brown had yet to announce his retirement from the NFL, but went up to Arum, a close friend, and said he wanted to fight Ali.

Arum relayed the message to Ali who said to bring Brown to London's Hyde Park. When they arrived, Ali told Brown to try to hit and not to worry about his, Ali's safety.

"Jimmy was obviously a big, strong guy and he would probably have beaten the (crap) out of everyone in the NFL at the time," Arum said. "Ali told him to hit him and Jimmy started swinging. He was throwing these big, hard punches, but he wasn't coming close to hitting him.

"Then, Ali said he would start to hit back when Jimmy was trying to hit him. And Ali hit him in the face with an open palm and slapped him about 20 times before Jimmy could get out of the way. Jimmy was one of the great athletes ever, but boxing is a different sport and that's why I don't think Chamberlain wouldn't have been much of a threat. Ali in the mid to late 60's was the fastest boxer in history......and he was 6'3 212.
 catahoula
Msg: 33
BEST ATHLETE RETIRES?
Posted: 8/29/2005 3:19:19 PM
Has everyone forgotten the great Tonya Harding.

She could skate and box at the same time.
 marathonman11x7
Msg: 34
BEST ATHLETE RETIRES?
Posted: 8/29/2005 10:10:50 PM
Tonya would have been 1 heck of a hockey enforcer
 BrunetteLeana76
Msg: 35
BEST ATHLETE RETIRES?
Posted: 9/2/2005 4:11:00 AM
Okay, so my list is retarded!! WHATEVER!! They were just athletes that came to my mind the first time. But yes, I do put Barry Sanders on there and Joe Montana. As Steve Martin said, when he was with Saturday Night Live: EXCUSE MEEEEEE!!!!
 mark130273
Msg: 36
view profile
History
BEST ATHLETE RETIRES?
Posted: 9/3/2005 1:24:08 AM
lance was awsome.......best since ed moses........lol
 BrunetteLeana76
Msg: 37
BEST ATHLETE RETIRES?
Posted: 9/6/2005 1:17:27 PM
I don't know. I don't live anywhere that snows, so I'm not into hockey. Sorry...
 1newfishtoo
Msg: 38
BEST ATHLETE RETIRES?
Posted: 9/12/2005 6:51:15 PM
This discussion started out with Lance Armstrong and whether he was the most dominant athlete; I don't know if it was of American athletes or given period or ever.

But I the point of dominant athletes, only two stand head and shoulders above the rest.

The first has been mentioned here, The Great One Wayne Gretzky. Over his career he is holds records for almost every scoring statistic. His closest rival Gordy Howe played in another era. Jordan's numbers have to give way to Kareem as all time scoring leader or Chamberlain for points in a game or rembounding to who ever. Babe Ruth scored more homers but also struck out more often than Barry Bonds who has recorded the most intentional walks in a season. So figure how closer he would be in homers. And his slugging percentage is far superior. Maybe Tiger Woods might eventually get closer, but he has endured some losses to Phil Nicholson. But is Golf a sport to begin to begin with?? One other athlete that comes to my mind is Roger Federer. He has been quite dominant with 23-0 record in finals and 6-0 in grand slams events. Only time will tell for him.

The other, and I being biased consider Eddy Merckx the Greatest ever.

Everyone in Pro Road Racing gives the nod to Merckx. He so completely dominated the sport that during his time everyone else was riding for second. He missed winning a record sixth Tour only because a spectator punched him in the kidney. That is how domnant he was that people became resentful of his superiority. His nick name the Cannibal because he won everything there was to win. His winning percentage is close to 30% over 1500 races with almost 500 wins. That is 200 riders in a field and coming out on top 1/3 of the time. Ironically Armstrong and Merckx are good friends and the latter has been known to share is wisdom and experience with the younger champion. Armstrong may be the greatest Tour winner,and would have given Merckx a running for his money, but most in cycling think that Merckx's determination to win would be the difference in the end. After all after 7 Tour wins Armstrong is still behind Merckx in number of days in yellow and points.
 NYkid45
Msg: 39
BEST ATHLETE RETIRES?
Posted: 9/12/2005 7:51:10 PM
Yes Pearl,Scott did retire this year Al McCinnis too,and unfortumately today hockey lost another great ambassodor to the game,My hero "Mark Messier".I was hoping he'd hang around another year.but i guess when you know it's time,then you skate off proudly into the night.Right on Mess and thank you for 1994,at least i can say i saw The Rangers win the cup in my lifetime.I will never forget what you did for the city of New York that year,and for hockey in general.Thanks again.
 SexyJody76
Msg: 40
BEST ATHLETE RETIRES?
Posted: 12/2/2006 8:51:04 AM
Lance is a putz!! He divorced 2 beautiful women that he ever married and ruined it. He's a putz!! He must be an SOB to live with...
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  > BEST ATHLETE RETIRES?