Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Leigh AKA PL
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Mental Health ProblemsPage 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

Right here goes

Does Mental Health Problems class as a disability, e.g I have Bi-Polar Disorder and my old Social Worker I could put in for Disability Living Allowance, but I've been knocked back time and again for it, so what i'm wondering is, is Mental Health problems classed as being disabled, because I'm starting to think my social worker was leading me down a merry path

hope someone can answer this for me

thanks

Fozz

I am not Bi-polar but I suffer from sever depression and anxiety attacts and I recieve Disability Living Allowance if that is any help to you?
 stonecastle
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Mental Health Problems
Posted: 4/2/2007 5:33:40 AM
I have got deppresion due to lack of a girlfriend but if I found a nice woman to go out with then I would be one of the happiest men around. So I think you need to tackle the causes of mental illness not just treat the symptoms.
 stonecastle
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Mental Health Problems
Posted: 4/2/2007 5:49:57 AM

stoney my old chum..i aint a docter...but you need to get yourself sorted out with a flat or houseshare..then a job...then the girlfriend will come later.
But for most of my life I had proper accomadation but still couldn't get a girlfriend!!! I have only been either homeless or living in squats since I was 30. I also do not tell women that I meet I am homeless! Women can't tell I am homeless just by looking at me because I keep myself smart and clean.
 Leigh AKA PL
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Mental Health Problems
Posted: 4/2/2007 5:51:06 AM

yeah, it is thanks, i'll just get back on the phone to whoever deals with DLA claims and ask for the forms, only this time, I'll goto Citizens Advice or Welfare Rights to help me fill the forms in correctly

It will help your claim also if you have people to support your illness .... my doctor,my cpn and physciotrist(sp) all wrote on my application what was wrong with me and verified my illness.......

get as much support as you can and there should be no reason why you cannot get this benifit..... good luck
 Leigh AKA PL
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Mental Health Problems
Posted: 4/2/2007 6:26:42 AM

Bi-Polar disorder is vastly different to depression. Depression can be treated successfully with medication and counselling.

two different mental illnesses yes,but don't take depression so lightly foxy hunny,MOST not ALL will be treated successfully.... my aunt is now 57 and has suffered with it from being a wee girl and I myself have suffered with it since I was 17,although no where near as bad as I was,it still comes back with a vengence and will never entirely go away.... it is a terrible illness which a lot of people don't understand,and no I am not saying you don't foxy,just for others who read this and do not realise how damaging it can be.....

OT...... Foxy is right op,you are entitled to this benifit and claim it asap and tell them all the medication your on and again I stress get as much support as possible from your social worker and doctor and anyone else who can help you..... you must write everything down in how it affects you no matter how small you may think it is,the things my cp wrote on my claim I would never have dreamed off writing,it all counts
 Tim61
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Mental Health Problems
Posted: 4/5/2007 7:47:07 AM
I am not Bi-polar but I suffer from sever depression and anxiety attacts and I recieve Disability Living Allowance if that is any help to you?

Ditto Princess Leigh

But I get the lowest form of it, i also get a little income support to help me too, I still have to pay £10 every 2 weeks for my rent.

Tim
 stevencl
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Mental Health Problems
Posted: 10/18/2007 5:19:28 AM
there are only 2 types of depression - reactive, which is grief or some other environmental cause, or endogenous - this is due to the chemical imbalance of no known cause, it also covers post natal depression. Both types of depression are caused by the chemical imbalance of seretonin in the brain. There are many treatments involved i.e. use of drugs which include Mono Amine Oxidase Inhibitors (special diet required due to the reaction with certain types of food), Selective Seretonin Re-uptake inhibitors ( such as Fluoxetine or Prozac), Selective Noradrenaline Re-uptake Inhibitors or Tri-cyclics such as amytriprtyline. Counselling is also advised in conjunction with drug therapy. There are also the extremes of Electro Convulsive Therapy (ECT) or pyscho-surgery which is only used in extreme irretractable depression when all other treatments have failed
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >