Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Favorite Bible Verses      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Pelourinho
Msg: 26
Favorite Bible VersesPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Mathew 19:16-17

16: And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

17: And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
 fitman2005
Msg: 27
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/6/2007 5:20:23 AM
thread is going off topic here.....and not fair to OP --when trying to revive the topical thread of 'Triune nature of God' in the past, it was deleted as 'redundant.' But it's nice to see so much interest.

-a few short responses:

You still have to present text back back that assertion up.
Contextually there is absolutely no reference whatsoever to trinity in the hebrew bible. There is Jehovah, who was the patron deity of those Hebrews: there were other gods too but the Hebrews were to worship JEHOVAH because he was THEIR patron and he was a jealous god.

--the Hebrews seemed to have an encounter with this Jehovah or Yahweh, who seemed to stamp down all other deities the population wished to seek after which yes, would make Him a jealous Being in the social structure or confines of man's thinking. In fact this Being states He is a jealous God and makes it known to the people. If one examines the plagues upon Egypt before the Israelites's exodus, they are direct attacks and implications against the multiple deities of the Egyptians.

Why is it so silly to think that when the Hebrew Bible says that there were other gods, that there were in fact other gods? Just because judeo-christian-islamic tradition is NOW exclusive monotheistic does not mean that this was ALWAYS the case.

How is that silly? There are multiple gods in the world right now. One's choice to characterise them as "devils", "spirits", "entities", or "powers and principalities", while perfectly fine and supported by a dogmatic interpretation of a specific worldview, doesn't necessarily negate their deity.

--it is silly to me due to the fact that these so-called dieties were so weak in their own dynamic presentations that anyone would choose to seek after or follow them as opposed to the obviously more all-powerful Being of 'Yahweh' or 'Jehovah.' Wouldn't one wish to be on the winning team rather?? Which is what I see in most of the major religions or philosophies of today in a sense.
So this 'Jehovah' sees many in the human race following after and setting their hearts after 'other' gods--belief systems,material things, love of money, etc., etc., and He isn't supposed to give a hoot?? I beg to differ...if He indeed created man for fellowship in relation to Himself, I DO beg to differ.

God doesn't believe in freedom of religion.

He doesn't believe in other gods either.

Jesus spoke in parables so that people wouldn't be saved and would go to Hell.

He also gives multiple warnings....these spiritual laws are already set in motion...and God knows the future from the present.

God is powerless in the face of iron chariots.

maybe kryptonite was involved...this would go along with the mythological view.

As to Trinitarianism, the concept does not even emerge on the Christian scene until the Church father Origen, some centuries into the common era. If you had spoken to a member of the flegdling faith in the first century and suggested such a thing he very likely would have thought you blasphemous or not right in the head. it most certainly does not exist in the Jewish Scriptures in any way shape or form...anyone attempting to make such an absurd and extraordinary claim would really have to go a long way to back it up.

hey Fid--the cross was not so far away my friend....and it did trickle it's way down to the altar as well. Christ spoke of the triune nature of God and that in itself IS good enough for me.
 Purpleryder
Msg: 28
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/7/2007 4:46:31 AM
Hebrews 11:1 To have faith is to be sure of the things we hope for, to be certain of the things we cannot see. It was by their faith that people of ancient times won God's approval.........

Powerful verse for those of us "fishing" for the "one" person we hope to have in our lives. Without hope we cannot have faith.
 CountIbli
Msg: 29
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/7/2007 4:35:47 PM

Christ spoke of the triune nature of God and that in itself IS good enough for me.

Please provide a reference for this. Thanks.
 SundaysChild1966
Msg: 30
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/7/2007 6:22:39 PM
Ah, you beat me to it big papa bear, 1 Cor 13 is my fav too .. Faith, Hope and Love!
 And Can It Be
Msg: 31
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/7/2007 6:32:08 PM
Count Ibli message 32: You quoted Exodus 2:11-12 about Moses killing the Egyptian who was smiting an Hebrew and called it cold-blooded murder.

Have you ever heard of the defense in criminal law "defense of others"? I quote from my "Survey of Criminal Law" textbook, p 223: "It is also justified use of force to defend another. The rules are similar to that of self-defense; there must be a threat of immediate danger to the other person; the perception of threat must be reasonable; the amount of force used must be reasonable; and deadly force may be used only to repel a deadly attack."

I believe it is possible to argue that the greatest prophet of the Jewish and Christian religion, Moses, is a brave man who risked his own life to save the life of a common slave. Moses was the adopted son of the daughter of Pharoah. He didn't have to have pity on his kinsman, the Hebrew slave. He could have shut his eyes and his heart and walked away. He helped a man who was being mistreated, and it cost Moses his place in Egyptian society. He spent the next 40 years in the desert.

Your next contention taken from Exodus 22:20 is that God doesn't believe in freedom of religion. You've got that one right! I believe that one of the constant themes running throughout the Old Testament is that God alone is to be worshipped. The Israelites are not to combine the worship of the God of Israel with the customs and practices of the nations around them. They were to keep pure the worship that God gave them through Moses. I believe Israel disobeyed God and did worship the gods of the nations around them repeatedly. They eventually were sent into captivity--the Northern House of Israel to Assyria and the Southern House of Judah to Babylon.

Regarding Judges 1:19 and Judah not being able to take possession of the plains because the inhabitants had chariots of iron, I believe that one of the reasons God did not give the Israelites a supernatural victory is because they were not consistently obedient to him in His commands to take possession of the land. Obviously I do not accept your contention that God is unable to overcome chariots of iron. I see it as an issue of obedience. When the people obeyed God, they had victories; when they disobeyed, they suffered setbacks.

I believe that Jesus' words in Mark 4:11-12 are exactly as you say--He spoke to the people in parables as a type of Judgment so that they would not understand and would not be converted. I think that we have so much false preaching of a false Jesus who is sugary-sweet and begging everyone to come to Him that it distorts His message.

Jesus said in John 10:27 "But you do not believe because you are not my sheep." In the next few verses Jesus says that He laid down His life for His sheep. I believe that this indicates that Jesus' died for His people and not for every person who ever lived.

Why is it so shocking for Christians to believe that Jesus' death does not apply to everyone who has ever lived? I feel like we are reminded constantly that a vast majority of mankind wants absolutely nothing to do with Jesus and His sacrifice? Why are unbelievers so offended if we say, "Fine, it may not apply to you if you are not elect." Then they are so shocked that God would be so "stingy" with His love as to save some but not others.
 Raveninns
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/7/2007 6:49:23 PM
But Can it Be....

Aren't you limiting God's love? Would a perfect God only have favourites cos they sucked up and brown nosed? A very limited God you have there.

Cheers, Raven
 fitman2005
Msg: 33
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/7/2007 7:11:59 PM

Please provide a reference for this. Thanks.

John 14:11,16, 17, 18, 23- for starters. These verses show the unique and unified relationship between the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit.
 And Can It Be
Msg: 34
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/7/2007 8:10:24 PM
Raveninns: I believe God has a general love toward all of His creation. This is called common grace.

I believe that God has chosen to save some of fallen mankind out of the state of sin and misery, but He has not chosen to save all of mankind. I believe that the reason God has chosen to save some is that His purpose according to election might stand as it says in Romans 9:10-16.

I agree that my God's love is not equally extended to all men, and that is the reason why all men do not believe. If God intended to save all men, they WOULD be saved because "salvation is of the Lord" as it says in Jonah 2:9. I do not believe that man's free will trumps God's sovereignty in bringing His Elect to faith.

Just to show you that my opinion is not new, the statement "That God never loved one man more than another before the world, and that all the decrees are conditional" is taken from "The Nature and Danger of Heresies" by the Puritan Obadiah Sedgwick in the 17th century. The idea that God does have His Elect whom He loves savingly is a doctrine that is a part of the historic Christian faith.

The Elect were not chosen because of anything they did. They did not earn God's favor or brown nose God in any way. God chose them out of his free grace and pleasure before the foundation of the world as it says in Ephesians 1:3-14. I don't believe that one group is more worthy than the other group for salvation; both the Elect and the non-elect are sinners who do not deserve salvation. God chose to save the Elect to the praise of His glorious grace. The elect receive mercy; the non-elect receive justice. No one receives injustice from God.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 35
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/7/2007 8:19:20 PM
Exo 32:14

And the Lord repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.
 Love_on_fire
Msg: 36
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/7/2007 11:22:41 PM
Some that come to my mind are offcourse John 3:16 and so many others in the New Testament.

I did a thread not long ago about moral relativity and I should have used Isaiah 5:40-for that as an example because it really gets into that area. Many others passages in Isaiah are good to remember too. Offcourse ALL the scripture is important for us to heed.
 seenthelight
Msg: 37
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/8/2007 12:33:44 AM
luke 6:37

judge not, and ye shall not be judged. condemed not, and ye shall not be condemed. forgive, and ye shall be forgiven.
 asianace10
Msg: 38
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/8/2007 9:00:12 AM
I enjoy the hope and promise at Revelation 21:3 and 4; "Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and He will reside with them, and they will be his peoples. And God himself will be with them. And He will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be nor more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away."
 asianace10
Msg: 39
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/8/2007 9:13:45 AM
Thank you for posting this thread; another one that reminds me to "throw" more love into daily situations, is beautifully written at Song of Solomon 8:6 and 7: "......because love is as strong as death is, insistence on exclusive devotion is as unyielding as Sheol is. Its blazings are the blazings of a fire, the flame of Jah. Many waters themselves are not able to extinguish love, nor can rivers themselves wash it away."

1 John 4:8 "......because God is love"
 onesimpleneed
Msg: 40
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/8/2007 6:40:45 PM
And can it be,

"I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." (John 14.6) right? So it's Jesus that does the saving, not God correct? Just wondering...you have some well written posts.

Cheers!
 beercules
Msg: 41
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/8/2007 6:48:05 PM
" I have fought a good fight. I have kept my course. I have kept the faith"
2 Timothy 4:7
 justsmile78410
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/8/2007 9:10:01 PM
Trust in the Lord with all your heart
Lean not on your own understanding
In all your ways acknowledge Him
And He will direct your path
Proverbs 3:5-6

This verse has taken me from the worst to the best times of my life. I always seem to come back to it, even though I have others I enjoy very much!
 Love_on_fire
Msg: 43
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/8/2007 9:32:05 PM

Trust in the Lord with all your heart
Lean not on your own understanding
In all your ways acknowledge Him
And He will direct your path
Proverbs 3:5-6

I really like that passage too. It is a great help for anyone.

Isaiah 57:14 Is a good verse as it relates to God and His people being brought back to Israel.

"Cast ye Up, Cast ye up, prepare the way, remove the stumbling block out of the way of My people"

Isaiah chapter 40 is great too and for that matter all Scripture is great.
 kwiksotik
Msg: 44
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/9/2007 12:08:36 AM
And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

A beautiful example of copywriting if ever there was one. The equivalent of 'touch it and you die!'
 blueslady11
Msg: 45
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/11/2007 5:59:13 AM
Id like to conclude ^^^^kwiksotik's post:

Rev 22:20-21
He which testifieth these things saith, SURELY I COME QUICKLY. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.
The Grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and verses. It has given me great pleasure to hear your words and His. Its been a tough time here in my world lately and the Word of God is the only thing that has gotten me through this trial.

God is the only one who can unsnarl the mess we have made of His Creation !
 freeayear
Msg: 46
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/11/2007 6:01:54 PM
1John 1:9 If we confess our sin, He is faithful and just to forgive us and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Isaiah 12:2 Behold, God is my salvation, I will trust and not be afraid; For Yah,the Lord,is my strength and song; He also has become my salvaton.

I know who has kept me through tough times.
 designingwoman
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/11/2007 6:04:05 PM
I like Psalm 34. I don't have the exact words handy, but it basically says, Depart from evil, do good, seek peace and pursue it.

Somewhere else in the Psalms, "It is better to be poor and honest then rich and crooked".

I also like "The Lord is my shepherd. I shall not want...."
 Joe Schmo
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/12/2007 4:31:16 PM
In the first chapter of Isaiah God makes His case against Judah and Jerusalem. His people had began to rebel against Him, and their spiritual lives were based more on tradition than desire. God states that even though they may pray, he won't listen. In verses 16 and 17 He even tells His people what they need to do in order to gain His attention. My favorite verse is verse 18 were God then says: "Come now, let us reason together...Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool." The world has never seen anyone as humble as it's own creator. I find it incredibly amazing that God would offer to sit down with me to discuss my prideful condition. What could I possibly say to defend myself? Maybe I could plead the fifth.

Michael
 ditte-elskling
Msg: 49
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/12/2007 9:44:40 PM
[One is about God creating man in *our* image. Pointing to more then one God]

The Bible does NOT say that God created man in "our" image..it says that man is created in God's image.

[Also the one where God says put no other Gods before me. Also an acknowledgement of other Gods]

This is NOT an acknowledgement of other gods, it is one of the 10 Commandments in which God warns against worshiping other gods. Men have perceived there to be other gods for his own convenience and to excuse his own selfish, arrogant behaviour. After all, if man can justify his disbelief in God by inventing other gods then he is excused from not following the Christian way of life. Which is what it is meant to be, a way of life, not a religion, or "institution".

One of my favourites is 1 Corinthians 13 -- If all people put these words into practice there would not be war, or hatred, or divorce, or murder...you get the point. Many people misquote this passage cutting out what they like and leaving the rest. I have left it intact for all to see.

1If I speak in the tongues[a] of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.
2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.
3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.
4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.
9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears.
11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me.
12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love
 themadfiddler
Msg: 50
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/12/2007 11:06:46 PM

[One is about God creating man in *our* image. Pointing to more then one God]

The Bible does NOT say that God created man in "our" image..it says that man is created in God's image.

[Also the one where God says put no other Gods before me. Also an acknowledgement of other Gods]

This is NOT an acknowledgement of other gods, it is one of the 10 Commandments in which God warns against worshiping other gods. Men have perceived there to be other gods for his own convenience and to excuse his own selfish, arrogant behaviour. After all, if man can justify his disbelief in God by inventing other gods then he is excused from not following the Christian way of life. Which is what it is meant to be, a way of life, not a religion, or "institution".

This is tangential to this thread but as you opened the door by making the remark, I shall put a foot through... and as to Christianity not being a religion, you can call it whatever you like but according to the dictionary, observing cultural anthropologists and anyone seriously asking the question who is not a died-in-the-wool believer, Christianity in all of its many flavours is a religion, whether you choose to call it a "relationship", a "way of life" or a "cosmic spiral dance with the invisible wanderer"

Polytheism in Genesis: Baal and Ashtoreth vs. Yahweh
Sol Abrams
Genesis 1:26-27 says, "And God said, `Let us make man in our likeness and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea....' And God created man in his own image in the image of God created he him, male and female he created them."

The word man in this text includes male and female . This is confirmed by the word them whose antecedent is man. So he and his in this sense are both male and female. In fact, the word him is superfluous, and we could omit the superfluity by stating the passage like this: "In the image of God, he created them male and female." This means that male and female were created in the image of God. In other words, man [male and female or mankind] was created in the image of God.

Since man [male and female] was created in the image of God, it logically follows that this god was both male and female. The word our implies more than one, so, in effect, what we have is a god-pair consisting of a male god and a female god.

Chapter one of Genesis is from the Elohist source that used Elohim [gods plural] in referring to "God." Originally, the male god was Baal, and the female god was his consort Ashtoreth. Orthodox clergymen will argue that the us and our in the creation passage are simply examples of the "royal we" used by emperors, but this rationalization is false. The book of Genesis was written before the "royal we" originated. It began with the first Roman emperor, Augustus, and included the emperor and his loyal civil administrators. Afterwards, it was sometimes used in pagan religious ceremonies in the pre-Christian Roman Empire, which at that time was polytheistic.

In Genesis 3:22 , there is further evidence of polytheism as the Hebrew gods are depicted as saying, "Behold the man has become as one of us to know good and evil, and now lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat and live forever...." Here again the orthodox clergy will claim that the us is really the LORD God and the angels that were with him, but this cannot be for a number of reasons. First, there is no mention of angels in Genesis until Chapter 19 , but even if these angels did exist, they would have been acting upon orders of the god-pair of 1:26-27 . So the us here was again referring to that god-pair. To further show that the our and us in these Genesis passages referred to the god-pair of early Hebrew polytheism, we have only to review the history of the ideological clashes between the proponents of Baal and those of Yahweh that went on in the Caananite-Israelite lands from the time of the judges until the fall of Judah and the Babylonian captivity.

During these times, Baal and his consort Ashtoreth were worshiped by many Israelites both in Samaria (Israel) and Judah even after the captivity, mainly by those who remained in the conquered lands. Yahwists like Ezra finally purged the Israelites (by then known as Jews) of all Baal residuals and even forced them to give up their Baalish wives and families (see Ezra 9-10 ). Ezra's purging of Baal appeared to be complete. It was his wish to erase Baal completely from the Israelite past; however, the residuals in Genesis 1 and 3 continue to remind us not only of Israel's polytheistic past but of the Canaanite origins of Judaism.

Using archaeological evidence on one hand and biblical between-the-line implications on the other, the following conclusions support the premises stated above:

(1) Most of the Israelites at the time of the exodus (about 1250 B.C.) were already located in the Canaanite area, which, incidentally, was at that time a part of Greater Egypt. A relatively small number, probably only one tribe (Levi), were in Egypt. Exodus 1:15 , for example, says that only two midwives were needed to attend the births of Hebrew children. Furthermore, the Israelites needed divine help to defeat a small seminomadic tribe (Ex. 17:8-13 ) in contradiction to the later editor's estimate of an army of 600,000 men (12:37 ) besides children (and women?).

(2) This relatively small group of Israelites from the outside (Egypt proper) formed some type of symbiotic relationship with the much larger inside group (which consisted of Israelites and Canaanites, the so-called mixed multitude) to form the "12 tribes" (when they were not fighting each other).

(3) The outside group was the Yahwist cult, the inside group the Baal cult. The struggle between the two groups went on for well over 500 years.

(4) Apparently it was not until the reign of Josiah that the Yahwist group was able to achieve dominance. The "lost book" of Deuteronomy was discovered in the house of the LORD (2 Kings 22:8 ), and the Passover was reinstituted after a lapse of 500 years (if indeed it even existed before then). The golden calf (symbol of the Kings of Israel) from the reign of Jeroboam was suppressed (2 Kings 23:15 ).

(5) Biblical scholars agree on how the Pentateuch was put together. The sources were (E) Elohist, (J) Yahwist, (P) Priestly, (D) Deuteronomist, and (R) Redactor. The last two were written to dovetail with the first two, and the writers tried to do two things: (1) eliminate all contradictions, and (2) eliminate all vestiges of the Israelite primitive past of pagan polytheisism.

Richard Elliott Friedman noted in Who Wrote the Bible? that after the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem by the Babylonian king Nebuchadnezzar in 587 B. C., some Jews fled to Egypt and formed a colony at Elephantine at the first cataract of the Nile (p. 153). They built a temple there, which was clearly against the law of centralization in Deuteronomy. The extraordinary thing about the Elephantine temple, however, was that this group of expatriated Jews worshiped Yahweh and two other gods, one male and one female. This god-pair apparently was Baal and Ashtoreth. The Yahwist Jews living elsewhere were not happy with this development, for when the Elephantine temple was destroyed in the 5th century, B.C.E., they would not help to rebuild it (p. 154).

The scholarly piecing together of information from archaeological discoveries and overlooked textual implications of a polytheistic past indicate that the editors failed in both endeavors listed above. As a result, we know today that monotheism came to Judaism not by divine revelation but by a process of theistic evolution.

(Sol Abrams' address is 132 Easthampton F, West Palm Beach, FL 33417.)

Plenty of other sources to address this.

On another tangent, some of my favorites are the CORRECTLY translated verses from the Tanakh...

"Take words with you, And return to the LORD. Say to Him, "Take away all iniquity; receive us graciously, For we will render for bulls the offering of our lips." (Hosea 14:2-3)

Ezekiel 18:1-23
"The word of the Lord came to me, saying: "What do you people mean by quoting this proverb about the land of Israel, saying: `The fathers eat sour grapes, and the sons' teeth are set on edge?' As I live, declares the Sovereign Lord, you will no longer quote this proverb in Israel. For every living soul belongs to Me, the father as well as the son -- they are Mine. Which ever soul sins, it shall die.... Yet you ask: Why did the son not bear the sin of the father? But the son, justice and righteousness did he do, all My decrees did he safeguard and perform them. He shall surely live. The soul that sins, it shall die! The son shall not bear for the sin of the father, nor the father bear for the sin of the son. The righteousness of the righteous person shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked person shall be upon him. As for the wicked man, if he should turn away from all his sins which he did, and safeguard all My decrees, and do justice and righteousness; he shall surely live. He will not die. All his transgressions which he committed will not be remembered against him. For the righteousness which he did, he shall live. Do I desire at all the death of the wicked man -- the words of my Lord, God -- is it not rather his return from his ways, that he might live."

Psalms 40:7-9
"Sacrifice and meal-offering Thou hast no delight in; mine ears hast Thou opened; burnt-offering and sin-offering hast Thou not required.
Then said I: 'Lo, I am come with the roll of a book which is prescribed for me;
I delight to do Thy will, O my G-d; yea, Thy law is in my inmost parts."

"No man can by any means redeem his brother, or give to G-d a ransom for him" (Psalms 49:7).

"But everyone will die for his own sin; each man who eats sour grapes, his teeth will be set on edge" (Jeremiah 31:30).

"Fathers shall not be put to death for their sons, nor shall sons be put to death for their fathers; everyone shall be put to death for his own sin" (Deuteronomy 24:16, II Kings 14:6).

"For I delight in loyalty rather than sacrifice, and in the knowledge of G-d rather than burnt offerings." (Hoseah 6:6).

"To do righteousness and justice is more acceptable to the L-rd than sacrifice." (Proverbs 21:3).

"Has the L-rd as great a delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as in obeying the voice of the L-rd? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken more than the fat of rams." (I Samuel 15:22).

"By lovingkindness and truth iniquity is atoned for..." (Proverbs 16:6).

"I acknowledged my sin to You, and my iniquity I did not hide; I said, `I will confess my transgressions to the L-rd', and You did forgive the guilt of my sin." (Psalm 32:5).

That's a good selection for starters

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Favorite Bible Verses