Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Favorite Bible Verses      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Chipits
Msg: 26
Favorite Bible VersesPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Jeremiah 29:11 (King James Version)
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end."
 TouchSamadhi
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/5/2007 12:39:46 PM
ezekiel
5:10 Therefore the fathers shall eat the sons in the midst of thee, and the sons shall eat their fathers; and I will execute judgments in thee, and the whole remnant of thee will I scatter into all the winds.

5:12 A third part of thee shall die with the pestilence, and with famine shall they be consumed in the midst of thee: and a third part shall fall by the sword round about thee; and I will scatter a third part into all the winds, and I will draw out a sword after them.
5:13 Thus shall mine anger be accomplished, and I will cause my fury to rest upon them, and I will be comforted: and they shall know that I the LORD have spoken it in my zeal, when I have accomplished my fury in them.

Matthew
10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

13:41 The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;
13:42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
(ouch, thats harsh Jesus)

John
1:7 For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.
anyone who is not christian is an antichrist. fitting. i guess i am an antichrist!!

Revelation
5:14 And the four beasts said, Amen.
LOL^^^^
7:3 Saying, Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads.
LOL dont hurt the earth 'TILL the seals have been set....what happens after?
7:4 And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel.
only 144,000 jews are going to heaven. everyone else is out of luck. sorry mormons.

10:10 And I took the little book out of the angel's hand, and ate it up; and it was in my mouth sweet as honey: and as soon as I had eaten it, my belly was bitter.

mmmm little book....delicious!
11:4 These are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth.
11:5 And if any man will hurt them, fire proceedeth out of their mouth, and devoureth their enemies: and if any man will hurt them, he must in this manner be killed.

lol, dont mess with god's olive trees and candle sticks.

14:12 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
Lucifer, Son of Morning. nice title. hey wait a minute, i thought lucifer was the devil lol
 fitman2005
Msg: 28
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/5/2007 3:18:42 PM

Uhh... Can someone point out support for the "Trinity" in the Torah?

uhh yes this is easily done.......you have God's Holy Spirit right?? that's two...just need to add one more.....that's there too.

Or, can someone accept that there are other people than the "chosen of Jehovah", who might believe there are other deities? Seems the ancient Israelites had no issue recognising this fact...

other entities...yes...other spirits..yes -but other Gods?? no ..that's silly...and if an entity or other spirit being has qualities unlike our own or greater than our own to an extent does in no way suggest that they have the same majesty or sovereignty as a universal God posseses. At least that's the way I view it.......but whatever floats some's boat I guess...just don't ask me to prescribe to it. One can easily see from scriptural analysis what happened to those 'other' gods.

Was that the one that says, "I am the way, the truth, and the light; no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me"?

sorta...but it's way, truth, and the LIFE.........lol i got that one mixed not too long ago as well. Easy way to remember is: 'eternal LIFE'...
 onesimpleneed
Msg: 29
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/5/2007 7:33:52 PM
Nobody posted this one yet, so everytime I start to get a big head, I have to remember Ecclesiastes 1...

13And I gave my heart to seek and search out by wisdom concerning all things that are done under heaven: this sore travail hath God given to the sons of man to be exercised therewith.

14I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and, behold, all is vanity and vexation of spirit.

15That which is crooked cannot be made straight: and that which is wanting cannot be numbered.

16I communed with mine own heart, saying, Lo, I am come to great estate, and have gotten more wisdom than all they that have been before me in Jerusalem: yea, my heart had great experience of wisdom and knowledge.

17And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit.

18For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

Peace
 paulthesane
Msg: 30
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/5/2007 8:38:40 PM

uhh yes this is easily done.......you have God's Holy Spirit right?? that's two...just need to add one more.....that's there too.

You still have to present text back back that assertion up.
Contextually there is absolutely no reference whatsoever to trinity in the hebrew bible. There is Jehovah, who was the patron deity of those Hebrews: there were other gods too but the Hebrews were to worship JEHOVAH because he was THEIR patron and he was a jealous god.

"Or, can someone accept that there are other people than the "chosen of Jehovah", who might believe there are other deities? Seems the ancient Israelites had no issue recognising this fact..."

other entities...yes...other spirits..yes -but other Gods?? no ..that's silly...and if an entity or other spirit being has qualities unlike our own or greater than our own to an extent does in no way suggest that they have the same majesty or sovereignty as a universal God posseses. At least that's the way I view it.......but whatever floats some's boat I guess...just don't ask me to prescribe to it. One can easily see from scriptural analysis what happened to those 'other' gods.

Why is it so silly to think that when the Hebrew Bible says that there were other gods, that there were in fact other gods? Just because judeo-christian-islamic tradition is NOW exclusive monotheistic does not mean that this was ALWAYS the case.

Genesis itself indicates that part of the creation story is a battle between Jehovah as a sky god and the sea goddess Tiamat. There is a direct linguistic correlation between the name tiamat (goddess who was the primordial waters) and the hebrew word TEHOM which also means primordial waters as found in the 1 chapter of genesis:

'In the beginning when God created the heavens and the earth, the earth was a formless void and darkness covered the face of the deep, while a wind from God swept over the face of the waters.'
 CountIbli
Msg: 31
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/5/2007 9:58:55 PM
There are so many to choose from that I can't pick just one.

Exodus 2:11-12 And it came to pass in those days, when Moses was grown, that he went out unto his brethren, and looked on their burdens: and he spied an Egyptian smiting an Hebrew, one of his brethren. And he looked this way and that way, and when he saw that there was no man, he slew the Egyptian, and hid him in the sand.

The greatest prophet in the Jewish and Christian religions, Moses, is a cold blooded murderer.

Exodus 22:20 He that sacrificeth unto any god, save unto the LORD only, he shall be utterly destroyed.

God doesn't believe in freedom of religion.

Judges 1:19 And the LORD was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.

God is powerless in the face of iron chariots.

Mark 4:11-12 And he [Jesus] said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables: That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and their sins should be forgiven them.

Jesus spoke in parables so that people wouldn't be saved and would go to Hell.
 Feral
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/5/2007 10:45:20 PM

Yeah, "In the Beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God..." The Word, God, and the Holy Spirit, later incorporated into the specifically Christian doctrine of the Trinity. The ancient Jews, in the Torah, recognised aspects and agents of God, but He Himself was one.

other entities...yes...other spirits..yes -but other Gods?? no ..that's silly...
How is that silly? There are multiple gods in the world right now. One's choice to characterise them as "devils", "spirits", "entities", or "powers and principalities", while perfectly fine and supported by a dogmatic interpretation of a specific worldview, doesn't necessarily negate their deity.
and if an entity or other spirit being has qualities unlike our own or greater than our own to an extent does in no way suggest that they have the same majesty or sovereignty as a universal God posseses.
Which certainly seems to lend some credence to the Gnostic interpretation of Jehovah as Ialdabaoth, the selfish "God of the World", since He seems to be constrained to following certain rules and portrays Himself with negative human emotions, needs, and motivations.
One can easily see from scriptural analysis what happened to those 'other' gods.
True. Winners write the history books, I guess.

sorta...but it's way, truth, and the LIFE.........
Ahh, right. My bad.

Exodus 22:20 He that sacrificeth unto any god, save unto the LORD only, he shall be utterly destroyed.
Considering it's in Exodus, this only applies to freedom of religion among the Israelites. But, you're right. As characterised by Christianity, He doesn't. Nor does he recognise as legitimate freedom of thought, either. So, what are we saying?

Judges 1:19 And the LORD was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.
Well, considering the battles of the end-times are supposed to culminate with the deaths of non-believers "by the sword", and the armies of the world (armies of "darkness"?) have tanks, that should be really interesting. Reeeaallly bad analogy, but does anyone remember the German invasion of Poland?

...At least, according to Mark. Elitist.
 themadfiddler
Msg: 33
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/5/2007 11:11:07 PM

Why is it so silly to think that when the Hebrew Bible says that there were other gods, that there were in fact other gods? Just because judeo-christian-islamic tradition is NOW exclusive monotheistic does not mean that this was ALWAYS the case.

Genesis itself indicates that part of the creation story is a battle between Jehovah as a sky god and the sea goddess Tiamat. There is a direct linguistic correlation between the name tiamat (goddess who was the primordial waters) and the hebrew word TEHOM which also means primordial waters as found in the 1 chapter of genesis:

'In the beginning when God created the heavens and the earth, the earth was a formless void and darkness covered the face of the deep, while a wind from God swept over the face of the waters.'

You are right on the mark. Anyone who doubts this need only look into the Ugaritic creation stories which are the likely source of these myths.

People of today like to imagine a static belief system that has always been the same in the past as it was today...it helps them to feel comfortable and avoid thinking too hard. The simple fact is that most credible scholars of Near Eastern religions and history would describe the early Isrealites as a henotheistic culture...in other words, acknowledging the existence of other deities but only worshipping their own.

As to Trinitarianism, the concept does not even emerge on the Christian scene until the Church father Origen, some centuries into the common era. If you had spoken to a member of the flegdling faith in the first century and suggested such a thing he very likely would have thought you blasphemous or not right in the head. it most certainly does not exist in the Jewish Scriptures in any way shape or form...anyone attempting to make such an absurd and extraordinary claim would really have to go a long way to back it up.
 Pelourinho
Msg: 34
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/6/2007 1:01:30 AM
Mathew 19:16-17

16: And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

17: And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
 fitman2005
Msg: 35
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/6/2007 5:20:23 AM
thread is going off topic here.....and not fair to OP --when trying to revive the topical thread of 'Triune nature of God' in the past, it was deleted as 'redundant.' But it's nice to see so much interest.

-a few short responses:

You still have to present text back back that assertion up.
Contextually there is absolutely no reference whatsoever to trinity in the hebrew bible. There is Jehovah, who was the patron deity of those Hebrews: there were other gods too but the Hebrews were to worship JEHOVAH because he was THEIR patron and he was a jealous god.

--the Hebrews seemed to have an encounter with this Jehovah or Yahweh, who seemed to stamp down all other deities the population wished to seek after which yes, would make Him a jealous Being in the social structure or confines of man's thinking. In fact this Being states He is a jealous God and makes it known to the people. If one examines the plagues upon Egypt before the Israelites's exodus, they are direct attacks and implications against the multiple deities of the Egyptians.

How is that silly? There are multiple gods in the world right now. One's choice to characterise them as "devils", "spirits", "entities", or "powers and principalities", while perfectly fine and supported by a dogmatic interpretation of a specific worldview, doesn't necessarily negate their deity.

--it is silly to me due to the fact that these so-called dieties were so weak in their own dynamic presentations that anyone would choose to seek after or follow them as opposed to the obviously more all-powerful Being of 'Yahweh' or 'Jehovah.' Wouldn't one wish to be on the winning team rather?? Which is what I see in most of the major religions or philosophies of today in a sense.
So this 'Jehovah' sees many in the human race following after and setting their hearts after 'other' gods--belief systems,material things, love of money, etc., etc., and He isn't supposed to give a hoot?? I beg to differ...if He indeed created man for fellowship in relation to Himself, I DO beg to differ.

He doesn't believe in other gods either.

He also gives multiple warnings....these spiritual laws are already set in motion...and God knows the future from the present.

maybe kryptonite was involved...this would go along with the mythological view.

As to Trinitarianism, the concept does not even emerge on the Christian scene until the Church father Origen, some centuries into the common era. If you had spoken to a member of the flegdling faith in the first century and suggested such a thing he very likely would have thought you blasphemous or not right in the head. it most certainly does not exist in the Jewish Scriptures in any way shape or form...anyone attempting to make such an absurd and extraordinary claim would really have to go a long way to back it up.

hey Fid--the cross was not so far away my friend....and it did trickle it's way down to the altar as well. Christ spoke of the triune nature of God and that in itself IS good enough for me.
 Purpleryder
Msg: 36
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/7/2007 4:46:31 AM
Hebrews 11:1 To have faith is to be sure of the things we hope for, to be certain of the things we cannot see. It was by their faith that people of ancient times won God's approval.........

Powerful verse for those of us "fishing" for the "one" person we hope to have in our lives. Without hope we cannot have faith.
 CountIbli
Msg: 37
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/7/2007 4:35:47 PM

Christ spoke of the triune nature of God and that in itself IS good enough for me.

Please provide a reference for this. Thanks.
 SundaysChild1966
Msg: 38
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/7/2007 6:22:39 PM
Ah, you beat me to it big papa bear, 1 Cor 13 is my fav too .. Faith, Hope and Love!
 And Can It Be
Msg: 39
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/7/2007 6:32:08 PM
Count Ibli message 32: You quoted Exodus 2:11-12 about Moses killing the Egyptian who was smiting an Hebrew and called it cold-blooded murder.

Have you ever heard of the defense in criminal law "defense of others"? I quote from my "Survey of Criminal Law" textbook, p 223: "It is also justified use of force to defend another. The rules are similar to that of self-defense; there must be a threat of immediate danger to the other person; the perception of threat must be reasonable; the amount of force used must be reasonable; and deadly force may be used only to repel a deadly attack."

I believe it is possible to argue that the greatest prophet of the Jewish and Christian religion, Moses, is a brave man who risked his own life to save the life of a common slave. Moses was the adopted son of the daughter of Pharoah. He didn't have to have pity on his kinsman, the Hebrew slave. He could have shut his eyes and his heart and walked away. He helped a man who was being mistreated, and it cost Moses his place in Egyptian society. He spent the next 40 years in the desert.

Your next contention taken from Exodus 22:20 is that God doesn't believe in freedom of religion. You've got that one right! I believe that one of the constant themes running throughout the Old Testament is that God alone is to be worshipped. The Israelites are not to combine the worship of the God of Israel with the customs and practices of the nations around them. They were to keep pure the worship that God gave them through Moses. I believe Israel disobeyed God and did worship the gods of the nations around them repeatedly. They eventually were sent into captivity--the Northern House of Israel to Assyria and the Southern House of Judah to Babylon.

Regarding Judges 1:19 and Judah not being able to take possession of the plains because the inhabitants had chariots of iron, I believe that one of the reasons God did not give the Israelites a supernatural victory is because they were not consistently obedient to him in His commands to take possession of the land. Obviously I do not accept your contention that God is unable to overcome chariots of iron. I see it as an issue of obedience. When the people obeyed God, they had victories; when they disobeyed, they suffered setbacks.

I believe that Jesus' words in Mark 4:11-12 are exactly as you say--He spoke to the people in parables as a type of Judgment so that they would not understand and would not be converted. I think that we have so much false preaching of a false Jesus who is sugary-sweet and begging everyone to come to Him that it distorts His message.

Jesus said in John 10:27 "But you do not believe because you are not my sheep." In the next few verses Jesus says that He laid down His life for His sheep. I believe that this indicates that Jesus' died for His people and not for every person who ever lived.

Why is it so shocking for Christians to believe that Jesus' death does not apply to everyone who has ever lived? I feel like we are reminded constantly that a vast majority of mankind wants absolutely nothing to do with Jesus and His sacrifice? Why are unbelievers so offended if we say, "Fine, it may not apply to you if you are not elect." Then they are so shocked that God would be so "stingy" with His love as to save some but not others.
 Raveninns
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/7/2007 6:49:23 PM
But Can it Be....

Aren't you limiting God's love? Would a perfect God only have favourites cos they sucked up and brown nosed? A very limited God you have there.

Cheers, Raven
 fitman2005
Msg: 41
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/7/2007 7:11:59 PM

Please provide a reference for this. Thanks.

John 14:11,16, 17, 18, 23- for starters. These verses show the unique and unified relationship between the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit.
 And Can It Be
Msg: 42
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/7/2007 8:10:24 PM
Raveninns: I believe God has a general love toward all of His creation. This is called common grace.

I believe that God has chosen to save some of fallen mankind out of the state of sin and misery, but He has not chosen to save all of mankind. I believe that the reason God has chosen to save some is that His purpose according to election might stand as it says in Romans 9:10-16.

I agree that my God's love is not equally extended to all men, and that is the reason why all men do not believe. If God intended to save all men, they WOULD be saved because "salvation is of the Lord" as it says in Jonah 2:9. I do not believe that man's free will trumps God's sovereignty in bringing His Elect to faith.

Just to show you that my opinion is not new, the statement "That God never loved one man more than another before the world, and that all the decrees are conditional" is taken from "The Nature and Danger of Heresies" by the Puritan Obadiah Sedgwick in the 17th century. The idea that God does have His Elect whom He loves savingly is a doctrine that is a part of the historic Christian faith.

The Elect were not chosen because of anything they did. They did not earn God's favor or brown nose God in any way. God chose them out of his free grace and pleasure before the foundation of the world as it says in Ephesians 1:3-14. I don't believe that one group is more worthy than the other group for salvation; both the Elect and the non-elect are sinners who do not deserve salvation. God chose to save the Elect to the praise of His glorious grace. The elect receive mercy; the non-elect receive justice. No one receives injustice from God.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 43
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/7/2007 8:19:20 PM
Exo 32:14

And the Lord repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.
 Love_on_fire
Msg: 44
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/7/2007 11:22:41 PM
Some that come to my mind are offcourse John 3:16 and so many others in the New Testament.

I did a thread not long ago about moral relativity and I should have used Isaiah 5:40-for that as an example because it really gets into that area. Many others passages in Isaiah are good to remember too. Offcourse ALL the scripture is important for us to heed.
 seenthelight
Msg: 45
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/8/2007 12:33:44 AM
luke 6:37

judge not, and ye shall not be judged. condemed not, and ye shall not be condemed. forgive, and ye shall be forgiven.
 asianace10
Msg: 46
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/8/2007 9:00:12 AM
I enjoy the hope and promise at Revelation 21:3 and 4; "Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and He will reside with them, and they will be his peoples. And God himself will be with them. And He will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be nor more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away."
 asianace10
Msg: 47
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/8/2007 9:13:45 AM
Thank you for posting this thread; another one that reminds me to "throw" more love into daily situations, is beautifully written at Song of Solomon 8:6 and 7: "......because love is as strong as death is, insistence on exclusive devotion is as unyielding as Sheol is. Its blazings are the blazings of a fire, the flame of Jah. Many waters themselves are not able to extinguish love, nor can rivers themselves wash it away."

1 John 4:8 "......because God is love"
 onesimpleneed
Msg: 48
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/8/2007 6:40:45 PM
And can it be,

"I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." (John 14.6) right? So it's Jesus that does the saving, not God correct? Just wondering...you have some well written posts.

Cheers!
 beercules
Msg: 49
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/8/2007 6:48:05 PM
" I have fought a good fight. I have kept my course. I have kept the faith"
2 Timothy 4:7
 justsmile78410
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Favorite Bible Verses
Posted: 4/8/2007 9:10:01 PM
Trust in the Lord with all your heart
Lean not on your own understanding
In all your ways acknowledge Him
And He will direct your path
Proverbs 3:5-6

This verse has taken me from the worst to the best times of my life. I always seem to come back to it, even though I have others I enjoy very much!
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  > Favorite Bible Verses